IronGlider is Alive! [Ch_9]

IronGlider

Hello Newcomers! 

Greeting from the UK fellow adventurers, you can call me Iggy! ;-) To those who don't know me: I'm 25 years old, and I came to NF around 2 years ago because I was really ill and unhappy because of what living with asthma/well-over BMI affect my quality of life and approach with work and enthusiasm. That all has changed since last October, as I managed to reach neutral BMI for the first time + control my asthma after a 1 year+ of creating a sustainable/fun routine, and all thanks to the amazing NF community who guided me (and chewed through my winded-out posts!) challenge to challenge to make that happen. It transformed me, and it was a amazing/humbling experience. And even today, 11 months on, it's has stayed that way. My BMI is still neutral, I am so much happier and face my work with considerably more enthusiasm then before, improved other aspects of life, and I can't imagine living any other way. Coming back after quite a hiatus (and only reading a few posts here and there) it's great to see so many passionate people undertake their epic quests. 

And to those that do know me, you're probably asking something along the lines of:

"Hey, it's been 9 months, what gives?!?" 

This has got to be one of the hardest posts I've ever had to write (this part specifically), but so much has happened (both good and bad). I'll start off with the bad: I was going through quite a few challenges of my own at the time (uni+career/employment/work/etc) but I actually managed to juggle all that and it didn't really affect me anywhere near as it use to (again, thanks to NF for keeping me focused and cultivating habits/hobbies/challenges/anti-fragility/good passage of time). My personal past/daily struggles and depression pre-NF faded for the most part as I was excited to enter into v2.0. But around winter last year, just before I accomplished my epic quest, my sister was going through a lot of trouble of her own. I mentioned some of it here, however I soon discovered the extent of the mess that she managed to get herself into.

Without getting too much into it: It was bad. REALLY bad. It came as a bit of a shock to me/and my family as much of it was done in secrecy and deceit. Even though she was really irresponsible, she was getting herself very ill, and I'm her brother and I had to help her. I dedicated almost ever ounce of time/thought into getting her better. Well into 2015 progress was very minimal, and things only seem to have gotten worse, she wasn't making any effort and things only had gotten worse with her situation/behaviour/health/condition. I didn't just have a blackout from NF, I practically made zero contact with any friends during this time in addition to distant family and relatives. I was really badly wanted the best for my sister and wanted to support her. Around May/June, things got so bad that family members broke up over it, and then there had been a lot of conflict between me and my sister as I was extremely stressed, in an almost constant state of panic as I never knew what would happen the next day, sleep deprived and zapped of any enthusiasm I once had. 

Any of my own issues I might've gone through seemed extremely trivial during this time. My body felt like it was constantly revving, I would start to shake just thinking about my sister. Eventually around my mid-June, she left our home and for about 8 months of constant struggle between us, I had enough and had given up. Her problems consumed mine and my family's life for that entire time. I can say with confidence that I never gone through so much hardship in my life. 

*sigh* *deep breaths* I've tried to not revisit these dark times and attempting to articulate it is precisely why I found it so hard to come back after it ended with June. After she left, even though she took much of her problems with her, it left me and my family in a feeling lost and mellow. She was the closest person for practically all my life. I was hurt bad, and I knew I had to try and get this feeling by continuing to preoccupy myself with other things. It just took time to feel happy again I suppose, I had to slowly start making contact with friends and family again. I hate thinking I wasn't there for anyone or you, I wish I could have done both, but when I was going through that much every-single-day, I just couldn't be my normal self anymore. Through volatile situations, it's hard to focus.

Well, having my routine and epic quest list was critical during this time. I honestly don't know what state I would have been in if I disregarded levelling up my life. In my past (pre-NF!) life, situations 100x smaller than this would've been an excuse to scrap or sacrifice any good habits one has just to temporarily feel good. But cooking, eating healthy, having my fundays (1 off-day every week), working on my epic quest, exercise (even though I cut it to 1-2 a week and added more walking) all mattered. No matter how I felt physically/mentally with all the anarchy and hardship happening around, I always slept every day knowing that something that day went right. So the 'system' only got stronger. If anything in life was going to become a major setback for me, it would've been that, but thankfully, it didn't do too much damage here. All I'm hoping is that I begin to put more effort in exercise again as dialling it down has made me weaker compared to me during Feb/March.

Life's much much much better now. Just over a month ago, my sister contacted me after quite some time of me keeping my distance from her. I couple of weeks we chatted. She seems much better now, and much of her troubles are behind, which I really want to believe. Last Saturday we met in person, even though I was rigid, I trying to set things aside and hope we can have/regain something. She's in a relationship now, and I glad she's a lot better than before + having someone being there to take care of her. 

Even though I haven't mentioned any of this until now, I always knew that much of my fellow rebels on here would cheer me on during these times. Thank you all for being so amazing, I look forward to reuniting and catching up with everyone properly.

P.S. I hoping to follow and reply to people's threads during the week, but only make a substantial post for my challenge maybe once a week as I have quite a few projects and bits and pieces at work. The good news is though that I actually have a 'decent' phone now which means I can tapatalk on my mobile! Although I hate typing on touchscreens, I bought a mini-keyboard for it in the hopes of communicating on the go and in the evening :-). 

Current stats:

29/08/2016 167.2lbs F: 15.9% M: 41.8%

This challenge presents: The Road to v3.0.

October 28th is when I reach Update v3.0. This might all sound really confusing to newcomers, but it basically means that every year I set myself some big goals to reach and attain for. I'm really happy how v2.0 to v3.0 has gone so far, and I just cramming in as much as I can in order have the best update list ever to look back on! :-D

Challenge Goals: (goal clarification pending!)

1: Continue current healthy eating regime and also include 2x simple 16/17hr fasts a week.

2. 30mins of exercise everyday for 6 days a week. Switch between strength training and running. If I did a lot of walking/physical movement at work, then i can give myself a 10min discount off my exercise session! 

3. Set a challenge every week and complete it by the next week. Week 1 is exploring every visual design-based medium I can. 

Thanks everyone, and to your kind messages during the tough times, great to be here again! Going to probably go to bed soon as I feel a little exhausted writing this tbh xD Glad I finally got around to doing this, typos and all...

Now for some peace...  :sleeping:

• Like 6

IntroductionBodyware: Fitness Journal

Challenge Belt: (1)(2)(3)(4), (5), (6), (7), [WOOT](8), [TEMP HIATUS], (9)

Bodyweight Info: Starting: 264.5lbs, Current: 167.8lbs (NEUTRAL)

IronGlider v2.10, Adventurer Rank: Level 8

Hey Iggy!

Subbed, of course. What's the strength training like, these days?

Good to have you back, mate.

<3

• Like 1

Sarah Barr - Level 13 Warhobbit

STR 18 | DEX 7 | STA 17 | CON 38 | WIS 28 | CHA 12

Challenges:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 20  21  22  23  24  25 (Current)

Accountabiddlydoodlies Group                 Current Weight: 106.1kg                      Recipe Book               

"I hold... that a man should strive to the uttermost for his life's set prize" - Robert Browning

Instagram (Things I have painted or made.)

To-Do List
Idiot Jar Limit: £5.00        Current Idiot Jar Total: £0.00     Current Idiot Jar Forfeit: [TBD].

I found you, I found you, I found you! :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

Big huge gigantic hugs! :cheerful:

So glad you're back, and so happy that things are moving back into a positive direction for you IG. :)

Now.....go forth and continue the awesome. ;)

• Like 2

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Paying a return visit. :)

It definitely seems that life has thrown a lot of troubles your way, but what matters is that you have been able to get through it in one piece, with a positive outlook, too.

And that idea of changeable weekly goals is great!

• Like 1

~ All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Ranger

STR: 10.5 / DEX: 1 / STA: 2.9 / CON: 22 / WIS: 2 / CHA: 1

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Current challenge

Battle Log: No Quitting!

Nerdfit character: here

Hey Iggy!

Subbed, of course. What's the strength training like, these days?

Good to have you back, mate.

<3

Hi! It's okay thanks, I would say it's inbetween the Level 2 and 3 workouts in those NF workouts. Getting there, but not quite the level 4+ as i was before. I'm using some kettlebells/dumbbells but it's mostly bodyweight and jogging. Work does have me being pretty active though, hence why I have to 'discount' time from it sometimes, cause most of the time it's easy to come back from a long day and go "*sigh* I don't feel like it"

So if you're given a 10min discount, you end up saying "*sigh* I don't feel like it. But I'm going to do it anyway!"

My mind can try to talk itself out of an exercise, but it can't talk itself out of a discount! Yay consumerism! xD

So happy to hear from you. Missed you like crazy. Sorry to hear of the troubles but sounds like things are moving to a better place. Here for support whenever you need it!

T2 I have missed you so much as well! I remember the fun days of hearing about your home improvement/innovative garage sales in additioin to the song/lyrics game! (and all the tarantino love!)

Haha lovin' the Dwayne Johnson love happening atm! ;-)

I found you, I found you, I found you! :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

Big huge gigantic hugs! :cheerful:

So glad you're back, and so happy that things are moving back into a positive direction for you IG. :)

Now.....go forth and continue the awesome. ;)

Heya Ash! I miss you (and swampling!) so much! And I STILL IOU that belly dance. Once I get back my xbox from my nephew as he's taken it (again) I'm going to totally do that! Going to visit your thread and hope all's well! :-)

Paying a return visit. :)

It definitely seems that life has thrown a lot of troubles your way, but what matters is that you have been able to get through it in one piece, with a positive outlook, too.

And that idea of changeable weekly goals is great!

Greetings! Thanks for the kind words, if I've learnt anything, obstacles really can be opportunities in disguise man! :-) That's the road I like to take! It's paid off in the last couple of years that's for sure! :-)

Hopefully going to post my month by month OS updates/milestones I've been making during the road to v3.0 (Happening Oct 2015, so soon!) and what I have planning for v4.0 (Oct 2016). See you guys soon! :-)

• Like 3

OMG Iggy... I have just discovered you, and you are awesome! (I am new to the rebellion, probably joined during your hiatus, [sympathy]...) Anyway, welcome back.

Returning to the you are awesome thing... I just went back and speed-read through a few of your threads: Intro, BW:FJ, C1, Woot, Hiatus, and now this challenge's. I LOVE your theme. It is a super fun way of looking at yourself analytically and a fun of tracking your progress. You have come so far from where you started and I am excited to see where you go from here!

A quick question, I noticed with your weigh-ins you also give a muscle % as well as a BF %. What do you use to calculate/measure your muscle %?

I thought I read somewhere you mentioning an Epic Quest, but I do not see I link in your signature to an Epic Thread.

Keep being awesome! Subbed

• Like 3

Level 14 -- Yeti Ranger -- STR 30.25 | DEX 12.00 | STA 21.00 | CON 14.75 | WIS 18.00 | CHA 7.50

Current Challenge -- Previous Challenges -- My Epic Quest -- Album of Holding -- About Me

Heya Ash! I miss you (and swampling!) so much! And I STILL IOU that belly dance. Once I get back my xbox from my nephew as he's taken it (again) I'm going to totally do that! Going to visit your thread and hope all's well! :-)

Hopefully going to post my month by month OS updates/milestones I've been making during the road to v3.0 (Happening Oct 2015, so soon!) and what I have planning for v4.0 (Oct 2016). See you guys soon! :-)

Missed you to IG. :cheerful:

Yes, you most certainly do and I shall be holding you to that mister. ;)

I was going to just hang in my battle log, but.....got convinced to put up a challenge thread. :P

I'm in the Rangers and it's in my sig. See ya there! Hugs!

• Like 2

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.

Ah, time slip! Sorry for the brief delay again guys, with the academic year etc starting and leaving my job I got a little sidetracked. Also my mother had quite a bad injury from pressure pot with burns on her chest, neck and arms. She's been in hospital, she's also caught an infection from it, but I think we're all just glad she is alive.

I stuck to my goals, just need to catch up on y'all threads. Deftona, I'm scared just seeing how many pages I'll be sifting through for yours xD

I'm hoping to take exercise to the next level and trial a sports or martial arts class. Should be good hopefully.

Thx for all the lovely replies btw, I'll get to answering them soon too!

• Like 5

Ah, time slip! Sorry for the brief delay again guys, with the academic year etc starting and leaving my job I got a little sidetracked. Also my mother had quite a bad injury from pressure pot with burns on her chest, neck and arms. She's been in hospital, she's also caught an infection from it, but I think we're all just glad she is alive.

I stuck to my goals, just need to catch up on y'all threads. Deftona, I'm scared just seeing how many pages I'll be sifting through for yours xD

I'm hoping to take exercise to the next level and trial a sports or martial arts class. Should be good hopefully.

Thx for all the lovely replies btw, I'll get to answering them soon too!

Oh no, I hope your mom recovers swiftly, that sounds like a really bad injury, Iggs. Glad to hear you're sticking to your goals despite the hard times but I would expect nothing less from you ;) 

New academic year? Leaving your job?! This sounds like news! Tell! 

• Like 1

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Lots of love to your mum, that sounds really nasty. 

What martial art are you considering? I'm going to recommend medieval swordfighting for the nth time if you can find anywhere near you that does it. It is about the dorkiest martial art and therefore, the best. 

• Like 2

Sarah Barr - Level 13 Warhobbit

STR 18 | DEX 7 | STA 17 | CON 38 | WIS 28 | CHA 12

Challenges:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 20  21  22  23  24  25 (Current)

Accountabiddlydoodlies Group                 Current Weight: 106.1kg                      Recipe Book               

"I hold... that a man should strive to the uttermost for his life's set prize" - Robert Browning

Instagram (Things I have painted or made.)

To-Do List
Idiot Jar Limit: £5.00        Current Idiot Jar Total: £0.00     Current Idiot Jar Forfeit: [TBD].

Sending all my best vibes to you and your mom IG! (Big hugs)

Sounds like you're kidding king butt, keep being awesome my friend! :)

• Like 1

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler