emily's 30 day paleo thread

ebm1224

tomorrow (monday january 2nd 2012) will be the first day of my 30 day paleo trial. i have decided to give this diet a chance for 2 main reasons:

1) i have some stomach issues that are somewhat undiagnosed. i have always had a bit of a sensitive stomach but it has gotten worse in recent years. i saw a doctor a couple years ago who performed an upper-endoscopy and perscribed an acid reducer and anti-anxiety medication to help control the stress that tend of manifest in stomach discomfort. he also recommended i take a probiotic. i have been on the medications on and off for the past couple of years but, since reading about paleo, i am wondering whether these symptoms may be better controlled with diet. i was on accutane for about 6 months back in high school and that drug has since been linked to stomach disorders including crohn's disease which is said to be helped by a paleo diet.

2) i want to improve my health and lose some weight. i currently weight about 155lb (i'm about 5'4") with about 27.5% body fat. my goals are to reach and maintain a healthy weight in a healthy way (something i've never done before). in addition to dietary changes, i am committed to working out 3 or more times per week and getting adequate sleep.

my boyfriend has agreed to try this diet with me for 30 days. we have put away the non-paleo foods and stocked up on meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, and seeds. we went to a chain grocery store for the shopping so the items we have are not organic, grass-fed, or any other fancy thing. the grocery store did have some of those options but i simply can't see spending the extra money right now. i do plan to research more in the coming weeks about locally grown and grass-fed items. but i have to admit the sticker shock of what we bought today in and of itself was a little intense. also, my boyfriend has decided to quit smoking, so he got some nicorette losenges. i am also planning to stop biting my nails.

so, alot of changes at once...and i'm a bit nervous. but i have high hopes.

i started this thread as a place to track this transition. i plan to record what i eat, what type of workouts i do, and how i feel. any advice is appreciated (but please forgive that i tend to rant from time to time).

thanks for reading!

so i'm gettin' a little frazzled by the nuts and bolts of this. in all my reading, i guess i got a little confused since various experts recommend various things. we bought like 10 lbs of baking potatos today...but apparently only sweet potatos are allowed...and then only in moderation if you're trying to loose weight. but i'm kinda wondering how much a of a difference it makes? i guess i was sort of thinking to have a potato or sweet potato about once every day two at least at first...hoping to reduce any initial carb-detox symptoms. also, i think there are other things that might not be 100% correct but that i'm not sure how to avoid. i was thinking tuna would be a good lunch 1-2 times per week but i just read that mayo is on the no-no list. i don't know that i want to eat tuna without mixing it with mayo. hmm.... and i'm not really sure what to do about salad dressing...oil and vinegar? i bought balsamic vinegar - i hope that was ok. and what should i cook my eggs in if not butter? cooking them in oil sounds like it might not taste great.

lol, ok i think i'm done driving myself insane for the day :)

the bf doesn't have to work tomorrow so i think we'll do an eggs and sausage breakfast and plan our meals for the week. i may have to return those potatos.

The thing about the Paleo diet is... things aren't really "allowed" or "not allowed." It's more of a philosophy or lifestyle than it is a diet. There is no strict set of rules. The concept is to eat what our ancestors would have eaten because we evolved that way. A lot of the specifics are controversies. Potatoes are definitely one of them. Honey is another. Apparently the Primal diet allows dairy, but Paleo doesn't. Ultimately, this isn't about following some perfect plan, it's about making your body feel better.

Eat a potato. See how you feel. Really pay attention. Cut out potatoes for a while. Is there any difference? If not, then you're probably okay eating potatoes. If you feel 110% better without them then... don't eat them. Just listen really close to your body.

As far as mayo, just google "Paleo Mayo." There are alternatives out there! And eggs, I don't cook them "in" anything. I just use something to keep them from sticking. The tiniest amount of olive oil on a nonstick pan works fine.

Hope that helped... a little. Don't stress yourself out over the details! This is all about a bigger picture :]

I eat a potato now and then when I'm being strict but like alexgator says, I know it is ok for me. As for sweet potatoes, I need them if I'm working out hard. Otherwise I feel exhausted and crappy. I'm not sure if there is another way to deal with that, but sweet potatoes and eggs are my fix for that right now. I don't even like sweet potatoes for the most part, but with ground beef and spinach they aren't so bad.

It was surprisingly easy to make my own mayo/salad dressings, but I find I don't really want tuna without the bread so I just don't do it. :-/ Salad dressing ideas: (not all are paleo, but they are at least primal) http://www.marksdailyapple.com/10-delicious-diy-salad-dressings/#axzz1hxOz4AmL

I cook my eggs in olive oil, ghee, or bacon grease. (I cook the bacon on a pan in the oven and just pour the grease into a mason jar).

Tiffany -Elven Ranger & Derby Girl
STR 7 | DEX 5 | STA 4 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3
@moxie_hart. Tumblr. Fitocracy

so i guess it's time to sum up the day.

woke up and made eggs and sausage for myself and the bf. hung around most of the day and had an apple as a snack. went to the gym to meet with a trainer where we did some chest/back machines and some crunches. finished it off with about 20 minutes of intervals on the treadmill (2 minutes at 3.8 mph - walking and 3 minutes at 5 mph - jogging). listened to the nerdist podcast so the time didn't drag as much as it does sometimes. after the gym we hit up publix to get some chicken breasts to pre-prepare of the rest of the week and walgreens to get the lower dosage of nicotine losenges for the bf (the higher dosage was making him nauseous). came home and made dinner: salad with lettuce/tomato/red onion and evoo/balsamic vinegar/pepper to dress, salmon (packaged and cooked in the microwave), sweet potato with cinammon, and asparagas. the evening has pretty much been spent with a bit of cleaning, cooking the chicken for the week, and watching movies. pre-made some salads and got some ideas of what dinner will be the rest of the week. luckily, i have this week off before i start my new job on the 9th so i have a bit more time to devote to planning meals than i otherwise would. i've been snacking on nuts on and off throughout the evening and we tried the almond butter we bought...not as sweet as peanut butter but not awful.

overall, today went well. been a little on edge because i know that i can't have certain things right now...and that, of course, makes me want them. i think the thing i miss the most right now is diet coke or really any soda. sometimes when i'm craving something sweet, some soda does the trick...but alas.

tomorrow the bf returns to work. i packed him a small breakfast of almonds and applesauce and he plans to find a paleo option at his work cafe.

feeling blaaaahhhhhhhh. a little headache/light-headed and just kinda lethargic. was planning to go to the gym but i kinda just want to take a nap. not sure if it's the food or lack of caffeine since diet coke isn't allowed....blahhhh. i'm not actually tired though (slept a good long time last night) and i was feeling pretty good until a bit ago. i wonder if working out will make me feel better or worse.

feeling blaaaahhhhhhhh. a little headache/light-headed and just kinda lethargic. was planning to go to the gym but i kinda just want to take a nap. not sure if it's the food or lack of caffeine since diet coke isn't allowed....blahhhh. i'm not actually tired though (slept a good long time last night) and i was feeling pretty good until a bit ago. i wonder if working out will make me feel better or worse.

Could be your body adjusting to lower carbs. Try a snack of some protein,a little fat and maybe light carbs(like an apple) then see how you feel.If you thinkk you want caffeine try some green tea. I think doing a lighter work out while your body adjusts is a good thing. You could go to the gym and see how it goes, or stay home and do some yoga or stretching.

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Stick with it - looks like you're doing really well so far. I've just started as well, but like you I've also been off work the last few days, so prepping meals has been easy.

Tomorrow I'm up at the crack of dawn to catch a flight and will be away for a few days living in a hotel. It'll be interesting to see how that goes (along with the temptation to go out with work colleagues for a meal/drinks!).

so here we are, evening of day 2. to recap:

breakfast: eggs, sausage, banana, oj

got some stuff done around the house and then started feeling kinda blah. a little headachy and light headed and just overall blah.

went to the gym and took a cardio kickboxing class. felt better afterward.

was a little down when i got home...i think it was mostly just being hungry (and a little annoyed that the bf was smoking and drinking a coke zero...he forgot his nicotine losenges today). felt better after eating some chicken and watching some how i met your mother (and snuggle time).

dinner was spaghetti squash with a home made meat sauce (ground beef, garlic, orange bell pepper, onion, and tomato sauce). relatively successful but i think i'll make the squash differently next time. also had a salad and some coffee.

i'll probably snack on nuts/fruit a little later.

i think the thing i miss the most right now is diet coke or really any soda. sometimes when i'm craving something sweet, some soda does the trick...but alas.

Club Soda! I'm a Diet Pepsi fiend... put a can in front of me and I get all giggly and drool a whole lot. But I find once you get over the label, all you're looking for is 1. the fizzy taste, and 2. aspertame. Well, aspertame is the worst chemical to put in your body... so you'll have to get over that and just settle for the fizzy taste. If you're not a fan of Club Soda...just give it a try a few more times...put some lemon or lime in it... lots of ice cubes...it's really satisfying!! :) **They even have low sodium ones too. GOOD LUCK!! You're doing great!!!!!!

"Rising up to the challenge of our rival..."

day 3.

bf woke up late for work so i gave him a ride instead of him taking the train/bus like usual. got home and had half a leftover sweet potato, a few pieces of leftover asparagas, and 4 strips of turkey bacon. eating veggies for breakfast wasn't as weird as i thought it would be.

didn't really do much today other than read and do laundry.

lunch was a piece of cold chicken, a salad with some sunflower seeds and balsamic vinegar/evoo.

took a nap (was feeling a little headachy again...caffeine withdrawl a bit perhaps?)

had a snack of an apple with almond butter. that stuff is kinda growing on me. at first i thought it wasn't sweet enough but it's not bad esp with an apple.

bf came home from work all jittery and sore. he made it through the day sans cigs with the nicotine losenges. he was sore from our trainer session on monday which was followed up with lots of heavy lifting of boxes at work on tueday.

we went to the gym but the trainer had accidentally double-booked himself so he gave us a routine to do. we ended up staying at the gym an hour and a half which is longer than i like but with all the waiting around.... ended up doing 20 minutes on the eliptical followed by: squats, some leg lifts i figured would focus on the ab/adductors (the trainer wanted me to do the machine but i recently read that that machine is crap...plus it would have made the workout even longer), leg curl machine and leg extension machine. lastly we did some ab stuff. i'm thinking that if the trainer keeps recommending the machines in a couple more weeks, i might have to say something. i'm going with it for now since the bf and i have been working out together and he's new to the gym thing and has knee issues...so the machines are easing him into it. but it sounds like we'll be working out separately on friday so i'm hoping that i'll get to do more freeweight and body weight stuff. i just prefer it, i think it's better for me, and i think it helps the flow of the workout and reduces the time spent in the gym. lastly, a question: when doing intervals in the eliptical, do i need to do a faster/slower thing like on a treadmill? i can't seem to make myself go faster than i usually go but upping incline/resistance definitely gets me sweating. can intervals work that way too - or is it all about speed?

dinner when we got home was chicken breasts (reheated from the big batch i made), sauted spinach and yellow bell pepper, and cucumber tomato salad topped with balsmaic dressing and some sunflower seeds. i tried to put some avacado with the chicken but this is my first time working with avacado and apparently it wasn't ripe. the cucumber tomaro salad lacked flavor...maybe if i pre-make it and let it soak in the vinegar for a bit?

snack was cantelope and blueberries.

i have to admit i'm feeling really full. i still want stuff i can't have. but it's bearable.

so i'm noticing that i am spending alot of time thinking about food. and alot of time cooking. thinking about food is mostly because i keep thinking about things like defrost times, whether i have the right ingredients, and what i can't have but want. the cooking is because i'm not used to cooking this much. it used to be that 1-2 nights a week we would actually cook - bf one night and me one night usually. 2-3 nights we would either eat out or bring something in. and a couple nights we would fake-cook aka make a pizza or one of those one dish frozen meals. now food is becoming a bigger production.

i'm looking forward to this all becoming more second-nature. on sunday we are gonna prep lunches for both of us for the week and decide on dinners in advance.

but i kinda like the direction of things in terms of being home to eat and making meals more healthful. i grew up in a house where we ate dinner together at least 3-4 nights a week and it was special. it was family time. and i want to have that when i have a family. so i guess what i'm getting at is i'm glad i'm trying this out to sort of see how my life will change (in one of many ways anyway) when i have kids. just cooking for me and david is a challenge enough but i have a new appreciation for people (my parents included) who get kids up and fed and off to school with lunches packed, then go to work themselves, then come home and make dinner for the whole family. oh, and you have to fit in some exercise in there somewhere. i dont know how single parents do it.

i guess i'm just realizing that i'm gaining some insights i hadn't planned on.

ok, another thing learned today. working out on your period can/does wipe you out. i guess i just usually skipped that first day or two until today. oy.

so i didn't do much today and at about 3pm i decided the gym was in order tonight to make me feel like i had "done something" with my day. about an hour later, i got a visit from my friend. then i started getting cramps. i toyed with the idea of skipping the workout but convinced myself that i would feel better if i went. i looked online and there was a step class being offered at 545. perfect. not tons of jumping or other things that are generally uncomfortable at this time of the month.

i get to the gym and oopsie! the class was changed to a cycle class. that was...how to say this...less.than.comfortable. luckily it was only 30 minutes of cycling and 30 minutes of abs but holy crap was i wiped out! i actually skipped the abs part because 1) i was beat and 2) we have the trainer tomorrow and i didn't want to be too sore.

headed for the grocery store to pick up a few things. got annoyed at all the stuff i wanted and couldn't have. you remember that scene from "spaceballs" where they are wandering through the desert saying "water, water" and "room service, room service"? that was me. except it was "diet coke, diet coke." but i persevered. ended up getting a whole baked chicken and just bringing it home for dinner because the thought of cooking was making me miserable. i actually wanted to get some of the yummy premade salads they have at publix but they all had cheese...yummy, yummy cheese :(

i came home and bitched to the bf and i feel bad now because he had a shitty day and i only had a shitty, like, hour and a half.

i guess i'll just let him play his new video game the rest of the night and not bother him. talking about it more would probably only make it worse. blah, i should have held it together better. i'm trying to be strong for him while he quits smoking...and it sounds like today pushed him limits. guess i kinda blew that one.

ok, enough with that. more chicken perhaps.

I wouldn't worry if he gets annoyed or upset while he quits smoking. When I quit smoking (I tried 9-10 times before it finally sorta stuck) my girlfriend and I got into screaming matches about completely inane things for the first two weeks. In retrospect it was pretty comical. No matter what you do, or how supportive you are he'll likely be cranky. You can actually look at this as a time where you can do things that may annoy him and he'll later just blame it on quitting smoking :)

I love reading your story, yes I'm lurking, but I have to say you are doing a great job!

I do suggest soda water too, just if its flavored make sure its naturally flavored and does not have aspartame in it!!

Otherwise, good job and I'll be here lurking :)

Anything is possible for him who believes. (Mark 9:23)
"The wise man sees in the misfortune of others what he should avoid." -Marcus Aurelius
Current challenge
My Training
STR-10 DEX-6 STA-9 CON-4 WIS-16.5 CHA-5

ok, so i made a couple random posts already today, but here's the summary:

breakfast: scrambled eggs, turkey bacon, oj

snack: fruit (cantelope and blueberries)

snack: cashews

lunch: salad with balsamic vinegar and the leftover meaty sauce i made the other night

snack: fruit

workout: 30 minutes of cycle class. i had forgotten how much that makes me sweat (i'm not usually one of those people that drips...but then i take a cycle class)

dinner: baked chicken, baby carrots, cherry tomatos

snack: cashews and sunflower seeds

i'll probably have some strawberries or other fruit before bed.

about to go prep the beef stew that i'm gonna cook in the crock pot tomrrow :)

so i'm noticing that i am spending alot of time thinking about food. and alot of time cooking. thinking about food is mostly because i keep thinking about things like defrost times, whether i have the right ingredients, and what i can't have but want. the cooking is because i'm not used to cooking this much. it used to be that 1-2 nights a week we would actually cook - bf one night and me one night usually. 2-3 nights we would either eat out or bring something in. and a couple nights we would fake-cook aka make a pizza or one of those one dish frozen meals. now food is becoming a bigger production.

i'm looking forward to this all becoming more second-nature. on sunday we are gonna prep lunches for both of us for the week and decide on dinners in advance.

but i kinda like the direction of things in terms of being home to eat and making meals more healthful. i grew up in a house where we ate dinner together at least 3-4 nights a week and it was special. it was family time. and i want to have that when i have a family. so i guess what i'm getting at is i'm glad i'm trying this out to sort of see how my life will change (in one of many ways anyway) when i have kids. just cooking for me and david is a challenge enough but i have a new appreciation for people (my parents included) who get kids up and fed and off to school with lunches packed, then go to work themselves, then come home and make dinner for the whole family. oh, and you have to fit in some exercise in there somewhere. i dont know how single parents do it.

i guess i'm just realizing that i'm gaining some insights i hadn't planned on.

Some great insights. I think just changing your habit of eating it/planning meals is going to vastly improve your health. Even if you decide to not go Paleo, establishing those habits will change your life.

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien