Program Check - Good to go?

Kyalia

So I recently did some reading and found a program called Thinner, Leaner, Stronger by Mike Matthews. He seems like he knows his stuff, but of course I'm fairly clueless and he could be completely lying for all I know, hence why I'm here. In particular I'm looking at his Year 1 Challenge for Women, which breaks down exactly what exercises to do on which days, which would help me a ton. I'm pretty new to weight lifting, but the people at my local gym are really nice and I figure between them and looking up forms online I should be able to do everything that's suggested, I just want to make sure I don't end up following a bad program.
Has anyone read/tried his program(s)??
Recommendations are always appreciated!

Kyalia
Race: Fire Elemental | Class: Assassin
{ Level: 3 | STR: 7 | DEX: 1 | STA: 4.5 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 2.5 | CHA: 5 }
Chapter 1: Into the Fire ; Chapter 2: Fanning the Flames ; Chapter 3: Stormy Cs

Main Quest: Reach 150 lbs by July 31st, 2016.
32.31%
32.31%
{Start: 215 | Current: 194 | Goal: 150 | Updated: 02/02/2016 }

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."
~Ferdinand Foch

Can you give an overview of what is in it? That way people can advise.

I don't believe there is any need for women vs men programs, especially for beginners. Something like stronglifts is just as much use for women as men (we're all basically the same apart from differing hormones meaning men will get bigger). Stronglifts is very simple, which i think helps early on with information overload and being able to stick with it. I had tried lifting maybe 3 or 4 times over the last 15 years and never really stuck with it longer than a month until SL.

Starting strength is very similar, if i could have my time again i would have started on that rather than SL because i like powercleans.

I'm not sure how well I can explain everything, but he goes over the basics of nutrition, like balancing Macronutrients, as well as weight lifting. He talks about forms, with pictures, how to warm up properly, and a ton more. The Year 1 Challenge is basically just a set workout, where you do certain exercises on certain days. Here's an example:

post-42341-0-59135600-1442308423_thumb.j

I just wanted to make sure there weren't any red flags, so to speak, I know there are always those programs that those with more experience know to avoid.

Kyalia
Race: Fire Elemental | Class: Assassin
{ Level: 3 | STR: 7 | DEX: 1 | STA: 4.5 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 2.5 | CHA: 5 }
Chapter 1: Into the Fire ; Chapter 2: Fanning the Flames ; Chapter 3: Stormy Cs

Main Quest: Reach 150 lbs by July 31st, 2016.
32.31%
32.31%
{Start: 215 | Current: 194 | Goal: 150 | Updated: 02/02/2016 }

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."
~Ferdinand Foch

I'm not sure how well I can explain everything, but he goes over the basics of nutrition, like balancing Macronutrients, as well as weight lifting. He talks about forms, with pictures, how to warm up properly, and a ton more. The Year 1 Challenge is basically just a set workout, where you do certain exercises on certain days. Here's an example:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I just wanted to make sure there weren't any red flags, so to speak, I know there are always those programs that those with more experience know to avoid.

Its good that it lays out sets and warmups and stuff. The thing i don't like about plans like that is that they seem to always be "do all the lifts". Using what you posted as a guide i see very little benefit in doing multiple forms of bench press early on, and indeed running a split routine. To me that just seems overly complicated for no reason.

This is just my opinion, but i think beginners (which i am borderline still one after a year) are better off doing, practicing and progressing the big moves (bench/dips, overhead press, squats, deadlift, rows, pullup/lat pulldown) before venturing out and trying to master the intricacies of lots of different lifts.

Those ones i mentioned, if done correctly, will teach you a lot of good habits/positions that will carry over to other lifts and prevent injuries. Things like neutral spine, packing your shoulder, hip/knee mobility etc.