Albeus51 Strives to Restore Balance

Brovatar Korra

Wednesday Weightlifting Workout: (alliteration!)

pwr snatch + OH squat 2+2 x 3 @ 60lb

pwr clean + front squat + jerk 2+2+2 x 3 @75lb

back squat 3 sets of 5 @115lb

snatch pull pause at knee 3 sets of 3 @85lb

Okay y'all not gonna lie I spent a lot of time this week creeping admiring studying Klokov videos on youtube

Klokov-Back-and-Delts.jpg

• Like 1

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Wayne Gretzky." - Michael Scott.

Friday Weightlifting:

Snatch with pause at knee: 3 singles @65lb

-attempted 75 but going overhead was ugly, often ended up pressing it to lock out

Clean: 3 singles @85lb

- much smoother than on monday

Jerk: 3 singles @75lb

- getting better at locking it out, and not pressing it out (so much strongman has wired my brain to grind things out)

Front Squat: 3 singles @140lb

heaviest front squats i've ever done for 3 singles! yay!

• Like 1

Sunday Bro-tastic Workout:

Warm-up:

5 min row (785m)

10 situps

5 pushups (I can now get my chest to the floor!)

10 squats (3 sec pause in bottom)

BP

45x5, 75x3, 95x3, 105x3, 115x3

125 3x3 (PR for 3 sets of 3!)

Lateral Pulldowns

60 1x8, 70 3x8

Dips

60% bodyweight 1x8

70% bodyweight 3x8

DB Bicep Curls

15lb 1x8

17.5lb 3x8

Shrugs with 45lb plates

3x8

Lower back still hasn't healed, in fact some mornings it is hard to put on my shoes. I decided to make an appointment with AIRROSTI for some soft tissue work on Wednesday. I am looking forward to feeling better, not looking forward to someone digging into my back

I was trying to find a pic that fits with today's post... and came across this:

7636078220571264f8417d1b1e495897.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry to hear your back is still giving you trouble. Hope the soft tissue work brings some relief.

Thank you! I'll report back on Wed if I think it was worth the money...

Oly Monday: 

(my coach told me "no PRs today!" which was good advice)

snatch + OH squat / 1+1, 5 singles @60lb

clean w/ pause at knee, 5 singles @85

clean pull (with shrug), 3 doubles @105

front squat, 3 triples @115

Whatever I tweaked is right in between the "8" and "6" area...

6b5d0aed23bb70ec3ce1d1c5e835002a.jpg

Week 5 Recap:

1. Strength Training - 4 hours!

3 hours Olympic lifting, 1 hour regular weight training

2. Conditioning - nope!

Completely fell short on conditioning sessions, averaged 11,300 steps a day

3. Nutrition

7 day averages for the week:

2,219 calories (goal 2,392)

267g carbs (goal 255g), 47%

74g fat (goal 88g), 30%

126g protein (goal 141g), 22%

I did a better job this week of not going over on fats!

4. SLEEP - 7.5 hours per night

Average for the week was 8 hours 29 minutes, OH YEAH!

Summary for Week 5:

Similar to last week - more conditioning and more protein!

• Like 1

Wow this last week really got away from me. I had an IV Lab exam in which we had to make a compounded product using aseptic technique. They are very strict and particular (as you should be if you are creating drugs going directly into people's veins), but it makes the exam a bit stressful. I also had a pharmacotherapeutics exam covering GI and liver disorders (peptic ulcer disease, GERD, colitis, IBS, cirrhosis, ascites, etc.) Happily, I passed everything and next week will be a little less intense.

Wednesday (Oct 21) Workout:

Power snatch + snatch blocks 1+2, 55lb x 3

Clean blocks, 75lb 3 x 3

Jerk pause in dip 60lb 3 x 3

Snatch pull, 95lb 4 x 2

Thursday (Oct 22) Workout:

Front Squats

45x5, 65x3, 85x3, 105x3, 115x3, 125 3x2, 95x5

Assisted Pull-ups 3x5 (about 60% of my own BW)

Assisted Dips 3x5 (about 70% of my own BW)

Calves

I read an article recently about working calves and decided to try out the routine.

Calf machine was set at 90lb, and I did 3 sets of 10 with a slow methodical movement, holding 3 seconds at the bottom and 3 seconds at the top (trying to take the tendon stretch reflex out of the equation). After each set I jumped off, waited 5 seconds, and then jumped back on and held one rep at the top for 10 seconds.

I don't know if that will help with hypertrophy, but it sure as hell made my calves sore the next day. I'm going to try it a few more times over the next 4 weeks and then re-tape my calves to see if there's any difference.

Finished up with Trap-Bar DLs

I didn't want to go too heavy on weight (lower back still recovering) so I did 185lb for 5 reps, and on each rep held the weight for 10 seconds. On the the 5th rep I went all out and held on for 45 seconds. The good thing was my grip was still going strong - the bad thing was I could literally feel the muscles in my back deciding they hate me.

Friday (Oct 23) Workout:

- I only got 4 hours of sleep the night before because I was up late studying. This really messed me up and this workout was all around terrible. All the weights felt superheavy and my technique was shite. On the plus side, I spent an extra 20 minutes afterward rolling out.

snatch pull + snatch, 1+1, 60lb x 3

hip clean, 60lb 3 x 2

clean and jerk, 85lb 1 x 3

I'm not happy with Friday's performance, but I am proud that I still put in the work. Getting a good night's sleep tonight and hoping to hit strongman fresh tomorrow. Rumor has it we have a makeshift Conan Wheel to play with!

Hope you smashed those exams, they sound scary!

Thanks! I haven't gotten grades back yet, but I'm confident I at least passed them. Maybe even a B+ if I guessed well :D

Strongman Saturday:

Conan's Wheel

Viking Press

One Handed Snatch

Conan's Wheel was fun! I arrived a bit late and they were like, "hurry up and jump on before we move to the next event" So I did a lighter weight ~180lb. (200lb was loaded, but weight in hand is like 90%). I got 5 complete turns in 60 seconds. Another woman there did 6 turns with 340lb loaded, she is an awesome bad-ass. She is also like 10lb lighter than me (only mentioned to put in context how strong and awesome she is).

Viking Press

I did this event back at the June competition, and got 0 reps at 160lb (Rx for heavyweight). Today I did 140lb for 11 reps. Therefore just personal victory, I through on 160lb and completed a rep! Planning to do 150lb for reps next time I have the opportunity :D. I even got a video of it!

One Handed Snatch

This was really fun! I've never done this movement variation before, and snatch is something I just started working on a few months ago. I was surprised that I was able to get up to 50lb! I attempted 55lb several times, but it just wasn't quite happening. I got a photo of the 45lb lift too.

10369717_10102102046453852_8044952660483

Welp, after going hard at Strongman Saturday, I sat down with the doctor this morning. We went over some x-rays taken last week, and it turns out I MIGHT have an L5 vertebra pars fracture. Have to go get an MRI to make sure. Sometimes x-rays are wonky and it is just a shadow.

He said that if it is indeed a hairline fracture, it is likely from a really old injury (probably something that happened in Army and I didn't realize it). The only question now is if my recent muscle strain is related, or one re-aggrevated the other etc.

I told my husband this tonight on the phone and he was like, "and you STILL went to weightlifting class?" And I was like, "yeah, but I did light weights!" He wasn't very happy with that answer, and he has a good point.

Gotta think long term - take care of this first, meets can weight. There will always be another meet in the future.

Week 6 Recap:

I don't even have to crunch the numbers on this one.

1. Strength - hit all my lifting workouts

2. Conditioning - not happening, except for walking ~ 5 miles daily (throughout the day)

3. Nutrition - similar to other weeks, I do a good job on carbs and fat, but end up a bit low on protein

4. Sleep - I would say decent this week (~7 hours each night), not as good as some previous weeks but not the worst

Did a bro-tactic workout on Tuesday night and hit 130lb 3x3 on Bench!

Thursday Oly Lifts:

Power snatch + OH squat (2+2), 3 sets @55lb

Hang clean, 3 singles @95lb (PR! best previous was 85)

Jerk, pause in dip and catch 3 doubles @85lb

Front Squat (3 sec pause at bottom) 3 doubles @105lb

Snatch singles 3 sets @55lb