• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

AthenaMM

AthenaMM - Goddesses Just Wanna Have Fun!

I'm not actually starting my challenge until the second week. We were supposed to be on vacation until today (9/15), but about halfway through the vacation (and right as the Comic Con started) my uncle died. We ended up driving from San Antonio to Alabama on Saturday for the funeral and we got back home late last night. I'm still very worn out and stressed. On top of that either my allergies are acting up again or I'm sick. I want to take the rest of this week to sleep and get well. I also need to finish planning my challenge since I'd intended to think about it during the vacation and finish it up today. Here is the current plan. It may change some but this is close. I'll work on the measurements and rewards before Monday.

Main Quest:  To relax and recharge. I want to solidify the new habits I created in the last 2 challenges and try out some new exercises and recipes to keep things interesting. 

Because this is a pretty simple challenge I'm only giving myself 2 points for each quest.

Quest 1: I'm hoping that I can find some exercises that I really enjoy. Right now I like the way I feel and the strength I'm gaining, but I don't really enjoy the process. If nothing else, trying something new should at least make it more interesting. So my first quest is to try a new exercise or activity every week.

If I try 5 new exercises/workouts I get an A, 4 a B, 3 a C and anything else is a fail. An A is worth STR +1, STA +1; B is STR +1 and a C is STR +0.5. 

Quest 2: I also get bored eating the same things and I have a tendency to fall back on less than healthy stuff when I do. So my second quest is to try at least one new healthy recipe or food every week.

If I try 5 new recipes/foods I get an A, 4 a B, 3 a C and anything else is a fail. An A is worth CON +1, WIS +1; B is CON +1 and a C is CON +0.5

Quest 3: I want to strengthen the idea that this new lifestyle is fun. I am also stressed after seeing all of my family in Alabama, because so many of them are dealing with serious health issues and they are getting worse and not better. So to keep things fun and help manage my stress my third quest is to do one thing that I really enjoy every week. Some ideas are to spend an afternoon reading, color in the really cool coloring book I bought but have barely used or play a video game.

If I do 5 fun things I get an A, 4 a B, 3 a C and anything else is fail. An A is worth CHA +1, DEX +1; B is CHA +1 and a C is CHA +0.5

I am giving myself the opportunity to earn 4 bonus points by keeping up with my previous challenge goals, though. If I keep up with them 90% of the time I earn the bonus points. They will be distributed as STR +1, DEX +1, STA +1, CON +1. Since I want these to be habits if I don't keep up with them 90% of the time I get nothing.

• Like 2

So very sorry to hear about your Uncle. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Glad to see you back though. Get rested up and recharged for next week. We'll be here when you are ready :)

• Like 2

I was on darebee tonight, looking for some exercises i can do. I went back to my open tabs after reading your challenge and clicked the Action heroines filter, to see if anything interesting came up.

I'm not sure if this will be fun, but it was made for you:

athena-workout.jpg

Athena workout

• Like 2

I'm so glad you're back! I'll definitely follow along (although I seem to make a poor follower lately.)

Sorry to hear about your uncle. I read how he inspired your fitness journey. I always find it interesting to see how sometimes, even if we know what to do, it can be so hard to actually put it into action... but you are doing so well, it's amazing. I'm sure he'd be glad to have inspired you to make all these changes. :) 

• Like 2

We'll be here when you are ready :)

And that is one of the best parts of NF! Thanks for your kind thoughts and support.

I'm not sure if this will be fun, but it was made for you:

Athena workout

How did I miss this! I have been on darebee checking out workouts several times today and I never saw this one. Thanks!

I'm so glad you're back! I'll definitely follow along (although I seem to make a poor follower lately.)

Sorry to hear about your uncle. I read how he inspired your fitness journey. I always find it interesting to see how sometimes, even if we know what to do, it can be so hard to actually put it into action... but you are doing so well, it's amazing. I'm sure he'd be glad to have inspired you to make all these changes. :)

Thanks ninjakitten! ElemHH said something similar in my other thread, and I admit I'd never looked at it that way. It helps. And I think you might simply be overwhelmed keeping up with your own thread instead of being a poor follower. We're only halfway through the first week and your thread is already 8 pages long!

I was congested and coughing a lot earlier today, but I seem to be better tonight. I'm hoping I feel like doing an actual workout tomorrow. I have kept up with my workouts even through everything. During the part of the vacation that was actually a vacation we were very active. I made a rule that if I reached 60 active minutes according to the fitbit that counted as a workout. I did one strength training workout as well and I'd planned to do a second one. Once my uncle died I kept it up by doing squats or jumping jacks or a 5 minute walk every day. Today I did a 10 minute walk, but that seemed to make my coughing a lot worse, so I quit there. I kept up the yoga during the vacation part, but once everything happened I didn't do it every day. I think I did it once during all of that, but I started back today and it felt great.

• Like 2

I'm sorry about your uncle. Take the time you need, and we're all here for you when you need someone to talk to.

Thanks Snarky. I'm doing okay. I think the venting on here helped a lot. 

Considering the theme of the Assassin mini challenge and especially since I am a Hobbit in the mini challenge, I have to do something I've never done. I'm going to post a picture of myself online!! Thanks to the Comic Con I have a picture of myself (and my husband) with a Hobbit! Billy Boyd (played Pippin in the Lord of the Rings movies) was one of the guests that we actually managed to get an autograph and picture with before we had to leave the Con.

med_gallery_39458_2012_355777.jpg

Ignore the weird look on my husbands face. Most of the workers who took the pictures would take more than one to make sure that one turned out, but for some reason this person only took one and he took it really fast before we had a chance to really get ready. I think that's why Billy Boyd's mouth is open too.

I just happened to think of this today and realized I was letting a prime opportunity pass. I haven't really talked about the Con much because of everything that happened after, but we did have a good time. We got a few fun pictures on Friday and they put us in the front of the line at Stan Lee's first autograph signing on Saturday morning so that we could at least get part of what we'd paid for with our Stan Lee VIP tickets. We got his autograph and then immediately started driving to Alabama but it was a nice ending. We'd gotten our picture taken with Stan Lee last year so it wasn't too big a deal that we missed out on that. On Friday we also got our picture taken (and autographs) with Kristian Nairn (Game of Thrones), Sean Gunn (Gilmore Girls, Guardians of the Galaxy), Ross Marquand (Walking Dead) and Sam Jones (Flash Gordon). We got John Noble's (Fringe, Lord of the Rings) autograph but they weren't allowing photos at his table.

We stayed in the hotel that was attached to the convention center where the Con took place. Apparently that's also where most of the celebrities stayed as well and I ended up riding up in the elevator with Billy Boyd one time and Olivia d'Abo another. It was driving my husband crazy because those were probably the only two times I was in the elevator without him and he missed both. Anyway we did have a good time and we had a great time just hanging out on the Riverwalk before everything happened.

• Like 3

Oh! Awesome photo! It's good that some of the time you spent there was nice at least. :) 

(And it is awesome how active you were even during your vacation. I am more than impressed. I think most of my activity during the last time I was on vacation was the walk from my deckchair to the pool and back. :P  :redface-new: )

• Like 1

Sounds, and looks, like a great time. I've never been to a Con, but they look like they'd be a blast.

They really are! We only found out about this one last year after it had already started so we only went for the last day then, but we had such a great time we knew we wanted to go back. 

Oh! Awesome photo! It's good that some of the time you spent there was nice at least. :)

(And it is awesome how active you were even during your vacation. I am more than impressed. I think most of my activity during the last time I was on vacation was the walk from my deckchair to the pool and back. :tongue:  :redface-new: )

We always walk a lot when we go to the Riverwalk, partly because we like exploring and partly because we're walking the dog all over the place to wear him out (small hotel room + high energy dog = bad!). But I was actually pretty impressed with myself on keeping up with the yoga and doing some strength training while we were there. My husband and I were both wanting to try out the fitness center in the hotel, but maybe next time. I think those are signs that this new more active lifestyle is here to stay (and we like it).

I'm glad you got to enjoy some of the con. I want to go to one someday, even though I hate having lots of people around me.

I'm not big on crowds of people either, ElemHH. One of the best parts of a Con, though, is the connection between everyone. Where else are you going to find people running up to some random non-famous person and wanting to have a picture taken with them because of a costume they're wearing? And I was wearing a Harry Potter shirt on on the last day when we were only there for a little while and I had two girls with similar shirts on come up to me (at different times) to comment on our shirts. Everyone there knows that they are surrounded by people just like themselves and it makes for a really cool atmosphere.

• Like 2

Awesome job on "Simply Walking to Mordor". You more than doubled my miles.

Thanks, jrosto! I normally would have had more, but it's been a weird week. My goal is to hit 12,000 steps every day but Sunday and I try to go over so that I'll average close to 12,000 for the week. It looks like we did well, depending on how many people still need to update their mileage.

I'm ready to actually start the challenge tomorrow! I've picked my recipe to try this week, added the ingredients to my grocery list and I printed out some darebee workouts to choose from for the week. I am going to buy a kettlebell and try some KB exercises at some point during this challenge, but that probably won't be this week. Gotta go now though, it's time for bed!

• Like 1

They really are! We only found out about this one last year after it had already started so we only went for the last day then, but we had such a great time we knew we wanted to go back. 

I'm not big on crowds of people either, ElemHH. One of the best parts of a Con, though, is the connection between everyone. Where else are you going to find people running up to some random non-famous person and wanting to have a picture taken with them because of a costume they're wearing? And I was wearing a Harry Potter shirt on on the last day when we were only there for a little while and I had two girls with similar shirts on come up to me (at different times) to comment on our shirts. Everyone there knows that they are surrounded by people just like themselves and it makes for a really cool atmosphere.

I love going to Cons.  Another not-a-fan-of-crowds person here.  Cons are different though.  Its full of people that don't want to be touched or make eye contact!  :playful:   My son likes to go in a costume that hides his face.  Makes interacting with people easier and he usually gets positive comments on what he is wearing.  William Shatner was in town last weekend at our Comic Con but I already had plans.  I think Sean Astin was too.

60f12d8c475d991bf3ab12ce2b995b69.jpg

• Like 3

Well my challenge has officially started but I don't really have anything to post yet. But since the real purpose of this challenge is to work on the habits from the past two challenges, I am going to be posting how I did with that everyday.

I started a free 14 day Power Yoga class last week and I did day 6 of that this morning. I'm enjoying it alot and it's definitely convincing me to branch out into the strength focused yoga routines in the app I usually use. I'm discovering that my shoulders need a lot of work.

I've also been playing around on the pull up station doing hangs, hollow body hangs, leg raises and sort of dips. With the dips I have to put a small stool under me and just lower down till I touch that and then go back up. All of that has also been showing me that my shoulders need work. With the leg raises I think I could keep going for a long time (thank you planks!) but my arms can't hold me up there very long. I haven't done any of that today yet, but I probably will later because it's been a couple of days.

I also walked for 30 minutes (I already have 13,856 steps for the day and it's 6:00 pm).

I haven't eaten dinner yet, but hubby's on his way home now. I'm on track to have 6 fruits and veggies for the day and I've stayed within my hunger ratings so far. It shouldn't be hard to continue that with dinner, but if I don't I'll post about it tomorrow.

It isn't time for the evening routine yet, but I plan on doing it. If I don't I'll post about it tomorrow. (5 pts)

I did buy the ingredients for my new recipe today but I won't be making it till Wednesday. That will also probably be when I try one of the darebee workouts.

• Like 2

I love going to Cons. Another not-a-fan-of-crowds person here. Cons are different though. Its full of people that don't want to be touched or make eye contact! :playful: My son likes to go in a costume that hides his face. Makes interacting with people easier and he usually gets positive comments on what he is wearing. William Shatner was in town last weekend at our Comic Con but I already had plans. I think Sean Astin was too.

60f12d8c475d991bf3ab12ce2b995b69.jpg

It really is a completely different thing, Lightning! We've loved going to this one and we plan to go every year. Love the picture!

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your uncle.

I got a late start too. I have had a bad cough since the middle of last challenge. I went to the doctor and it's official: I am allergic to work!

(More specifically, I am allergic to something in the building.)

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your uncle.

I got a late start too. I have had a bad cough since the middle of last challenge. I went to the doctor and it's official: I am allergic to work!

(More specifically, I am allergic to something in the building.)

That's awesome! Now if you can get a doctor's note saying you can't go to work (but they still have to pay you) you'll be set.

• Like 1

Well... I got a week off, but unpaid.

Bummer! I mean a week off is cool, but unpaid...bummer!

There's a pull up in your future to go with those push ups :)

I hope so, jrosto! But I think it's still a long way off.

Posting about the little things that make you realize the progress you're making on jrosto's thread made me remember that there was one good thing about going to Alabama for the funeral. Everyone there except my parents (who came to Texas in May) haven't seen me since Christmas. At Christmas I'd lost about 37-38 lbs and I did get some comments about how good I looked, etc. When we went for the funeral though I got a LOT of comments and they were more along the lines of "you look great!" The funny thing is that I've only lost about 12 lbs since Christmas. But I have been doing a lot more strength training (particularly since I started on NF). I think there has been some redistribution of the weight and it's really made a difference. Even my parents could tell a big difference since May. Anyway, it was really cool and it gave me a major boost!

Still nothing for the quests for this challenge (but that will change tomorrow). However, I did Day 7 of the Power Yoga class and jogged for 20 minutes. I ate 6 fruits and veggies and stayed within my hunger ratings except at dinner. It was only a little over and I don't really feel like that was a bad thing either. I felt like I hadn't eaten enough and had been hungry all day, so I think it was something I needed. I also did the evening routine. And just to finish up yesterday, I did eat 6 fruits and veggies and I did my evening routine. I was going to play around on the pull up station last night, but the second mini challenge was posted before I did so I did push-ups and squats instead. (4 out of 4 pts)

I'm feeling pretty good at the moment. I'm actually enjoying the process right now. I know there will be times (probably lots of them) that being lazy and eating junk food sound like more fun, but I'm going to take advantage of this while it's here. There is one major thing that I've learned over the last year and 5 months, being consistent is key, but being consistent doesn't mean doing all the right things all the time. It means getting back up every time the couch and junk food win. And that's a lot easier when you remember that you enjoy doing the right things and feel better when you do. So I'll take advantage of the motivation while I have it and work on remembering this the next time it gets difficult.

• Like 3

Posting about the little things that make you realize the progress you're making on jrosto's thread made me remember that there was one good thing about going to Alabama for the funeral. Everyone there except my parents (who came to Texas in May) haven't seen me since Christmas. At Christmas I'd lost about 37-38 lbs and I did get some comments about how good I looked, etc. When we went for the funeral though I got a LOT of comments and they were more along the lines of "you look great!" The funny thing is that I've only lost about 12 lbs since Christmas. But I have been doing a lot more strength training (particularly since I started on NF). I think there has been some redistribution of the weight and it's really made a difference. Even my parents could tell a big difference since May. Anyway, it was really cool and it gave me a major boost!

Still nothing for the quests for this challenge (but that will change tomorrow). However, I did Day 7 of the Power Yoga class and jogged for 20 minutes. I ate 6 fruits and veggies and stayed within my hunger ratings except at dinner. It was only a little over and I don't really feel like that was a bad thing either. I felt like I hadn't eaten enough and had been hungry all day, so I think it was something I needed. I also did the evening routine. And just to finish up yesterday, I did eat 6 fruits and veggies and I did my evening routine. I was going to play around on the pull up station last night, but the second mini challenge was posted before I did so I did push-ups and squats instead.

I'm feeling pretty good at the moment. I'm actually enjoying the process right now. I know there will be times (probably lots of them) that being lazy and eating junk food sound like more fun, but I'm going to take advantage of this while it's here. There is one major thing that I've learned over the last year and 5 months, being consistent is key, but being consistent doesn't mean doing all the right things all the time. It means getting back up every time the couch and junk food win. And that's a lot easier when you remember that you enjoy doing the right things and feel better when you do. So I'll take advantage of the motivation while I have it and work on remembering this the next time it gets difficult.

This whole post is chock full of awesomeness :)

• Like 2

This whole post is chock full of awesomeness :)

Thanks, jrosto! I felt pretty awesome when I was writing it!

I still feel pretty awesome! I made a new recipe for breakfast today and it was really good! It was a Bacon, Gouda and Spinach Frittata. Though it should probably be called All My Favorite Things in One Frittata! I scaled the recipe down a little and used 6 eggs, 3 pieces of bacon, 3 ounces of smoked gouda (I looove smoked gouda, so I subbed that for regular gouda) and 3 cups of spinach. The rest I either scaled down a little (a little under a 1/2 cup of milk) or I used the amount in the recipe (1 clove of garlic). It turned out delicious and it will be my breakfast for another couple of days (with some fruit). I did take a picture.

sml_gallery_39458_2012_111585.jpg

I also did a new workout today. I tried the Artemis workout on darebee. I picked that one because I was planning to do push-ups and squats for the mini anyway and both were included. It's a very tough workout and I only did 2 sets and rested 2 minutes between the sets. I did 40 archers, 20 BW squats, 20 mountain climbers, 20 planks with rotation, 20 sec elbow plank, 20 deep lunges, 2 floor push-ups, 2 hearth, 2 tub, 4 entertainment center, 10 sit-up punches and 20 sitting punches in the first set. The second set was the same except the push-ups were 1 floor, 1 hearth, 2 tub and 6 entertainment center. I barely got the second floor push-up in the first set because of all the climbers and planks before them, but I did get it. I really liked the workout though. I'd never done several of the exercises and they were fun. I particularly like the deep lunges (and I hate lunges) and the sit-up punches. It took me about 19 minutes to do the two sets including the 2 minute rest. I'm sure I could have done another set if I had rested a little longer, but it says to rest up to 2 minutes between sets and I was still exhausted after 2 minutes rest after the second set. You end up getting quite a cardio workout with this one on top of the strength training. It took a long time for my heart rate to get back to normal. This one will definitely be added to the possible workouts pile.

That means the only thing I haven't done for this week's challenge is to do one fun thing. That won't be difficult! I always have extra time on Friday, so I'll do it then.

I also did Day 8 of the Power Yoga class, ate 7 fruits and veggies and kept within my hunger ratings all day. So all in all a very good day! (5 pts)

• Like 2