AthenaMM - Goddesses Just Wanna Have Fun!

AthenaMM

Friday

The soreness was much, MUCH worse today so I decided to skip the kettlebells. I walked for half an hour and did a LOT of stretching. I also spent a couple of hours this afternoon playing a video game. That finished off this challenge's quests. I did yoga, ate 6 fruits and veggies and did the evening routine. I overate twice though. 4 pts

Saturday

The stretching and break worked because the soreness was a lot better today. I did 2 sets of the S&S warm-up and used the 8kg KB for the prying goblet squats. I set the KB down before I stood up and that worked fine. I was tired after 2 sets so I didn't do the third. It kind of defeats the purpose of a warm-up if I have to rest before starting the workout! I did the drills leading up to the swings again and then did 5 sets of 10 two handed swings with the 8kg KB. I was still sore enough that I decided to use the smaller KB. That also allowed me to concentrate on the motion instead of the weight. In the last couple of sets I could tell I finally had the motion and form right. I did 5 sets of TGU's with the shoe. Anytime I dropped the shoe, I backed up a step and started again, so it was a little more than just 5 sets. All in all I worked for 42 minutes, with 33 minutes being the swings and TGU's. I felt really good after it was over. Funny thing though, I did NOT bash myself in the head during the halo's (yay!) but I did manage to scrape the KB across each ear once while I was doing them. It wasn't painful or anything, but it did seem kind of funny. Especially when it happened on the second ear.

I also did yoga, ate 6 fruits and veggies, stayed within my hunger ratings and did the evening routine. 5 pts

Sunday

Sunday is going to be a day that I don't work on the KB's but I'd actually intended to work on them today since I'd skipped Friday. It didn't happen though, I just ran out of time. Sunday is the only weekend day that hubby has off, so we are usually a little busy that day. I did do the long yoga session as my yoga and exercise though. I also ate 6 fruits and veggies, stayed within my hunger ratings and did the evening routine. 5 pts

Weekly Summary

I started doing the Simple & Sinister kettlebell workout this week. I tried a roasted butternut squash recipe and spent an afternoon playing video games. That put's me at 100% for this challenge's quests.

I overate on two days this week, but otherwise stuck to all 5 of the previous quests this week. That puts me at a 94% for the week.

• Like 1

Battle Log

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Fitbit, Epic Quest Character

Quest 1: I'm hoping that I can find some exercises that I really enjoy. Right now I like the way I feel and the strength I'm gaining, but I don't really enjoy the process. If nothing else, trying something new should at least make it more interesting. So my first quest is to try a new exercise or activity every week.

If I try 5 new exercises/workouts I get an A, 4 a B, 3 a C and anything else is a fail. An A is worth STR +1, STA +1; B is STR +1 and a C is STR +0.5. 

I tried 5 new exercises or workouts during the challenge so I earned an A and STR +1, STA +1

Quest 2: I also get bored eating the same things and I have a tendency to fall back on less than healthy stuff when I do. So my second quest is to try at least one new healthy recipe or food every week.

If I try 5 new recipes/foods I get an A, 4 a B, 3 a C and anything else is a fail. An A is worth CON +1, WIS +1; B is CON +1 and a C is CON +0.5

I tried 5 new recipes during the challenge so I earned an A and CON +1, WIS +1

Quest 3: I want to strengthen the idea that this new lifestyle is fun. I am also stressed after seeing all of my family in Alabama, because so many of them are dealing with serious health issues and they are getting worse and not better. So to keep things fun and help manage my stress my third quest is to do one thing that I really enjoy every week. Some ideas are to spend an afternoon reading, color in the really cool coloring book I bought but have barely used or play a video game.

If I do 5 fun things I get an A, 4 a B, 3 a C and anything else is fail. An A is worth CHA +1, DEX +1; B is CHA +1 and a C is CHA +0.5

I did something fun every week (5 times) during the challenge so I earned an A and CHA +1, DEX +1

I am giving myself the opportunity to earn 4 bonus points by keeping up with my previous challenge goals, though. If I keep up with them 90% of the time I earn the bonus points. They will be distributed as STR +1, DEX +1, STA +1, CON +1. Since I want these to be habits if I don't keep up with them 90% of the time I get nothing.

I did the previous quests 92% of the time so I do get the bonus points! STR +1, DEX +1, STA +1, CON +1

It was a simple challenge, but keeping up with the previous quests was definitely tough. I think they are definitely more of a habit now than they were. That was the goal so this challenge is a success!

I'm rethinking skipping the next challenge. I think I might just try to work around the dental surgery and make and/or change the quests as I go along. I can decide in general what I want the goals to be and see what can be achieved depending on how the recovery is going. I haven't made any firm decisions yet, but this is the way I'm leaning. Which means I need to come up with some goals!

• Like 1

Battle Log

You really knocked it out out of the park this go around, great job with this challenge :)

I'm glad you decided to join in on the next one and can't wait to see what you plan to do.

• Like 2

Barbarian Assassin / Level 5

STR: 16.5 | DEX: 4.8 | STA: 8.9 | CON: 8.7 | WIS: 6.6 | CHA: 6.8

My Current Six Week Challenge - Jrosto - A Barbarian Cleans Up His Act

Previous Challenges - #1, #2, #3, #4

My NF Introduction Post : My MDA Journal : My MDA Phase 1 Success Story

Simple & Sinister Workout Log

Keep Calm and Send in the Penguins!

You really knocked it out out of the park this go around, great job with this challenge :)

I'm glad you decided to join in on the next one and can't wait to see what you plan to do.

Awesome challenge Athena! And they all were! You really have a great streak. :)

Setting some goals, even if it wasn't what I wanted, was good to keep me going when I was sick. I hope it'll help you deal with that dental surgery thing too. I'm glad you'll be back! 

You're always a great inspiration!

Thanks guys! I'm glad I decided to keep going with the next challenge too. It will help keep me from going too nuts with ice cream and mac & cheese during the "soft foods" stage!

• Like 1

Battle Log

I'm going to keep using this thread as a "battle log" until next week. 

Monday

I did a 30 minute kettlebell workout, though that did include the warm-up. I did 2 sets of the S&S warm-up. I did the prying goblet squats and the halos with the 8kg KB. I wasn't sore at all today so I went back to the 16kg KB for the swings. I did 5 sets of 10 two handed swings. My form is getting better every time, though I have to watch out about leaning backwards at the top of the swing when I'm using the heavy KB. I did 4 sets of 1 TGU on each side and then decided to see how I did holding the 8kg KB. I decided that I would give it a try and stop whenever it felt like I couldn't control it. On both sides I got to the point right before I lunge upward to standing. To me that's the part where I have the least amount of control, so I didn't feel like I should chance it. The main thing I learned (besides the fact that I'm not ready to do TGU's while holding an 18-19 lb iron ball over my head!) is that the shoe isn't quite enough. The KB pulls my arm off balance and the shoe isn't heavy enough to replicate that. I have some ankle weights so I think I'll try strapping those to my wrists and while still balancing the shoe. 

I still did yoga, stayed within my hunger ratings and did the evening routine, but I only ate 5 fruits and veggies.

Tuesday

Another 30 minute kettlebell workout (that included the warm-up). It was actually a couple of minutes longer than 30 minutes. I wasn't sore today either. The warm-up was the same as yesterday. I decided to do a set of deadlifts and hikes before the swings just for practice. I used the 16kg for those. I did 5 sets of 10 two handed swings after that, also with the 16kg. I did use the ankle weights during the TGU's. They are 2.5 lb weights, so not really heavy, just enough so that I have to work to keep my arm vertical. During the first couple of sets I didn't even really notice a difference, but as my arms got tired it got harder. I think this will probably help a lot. It also showed me that I'm not keeping the shoulder that's holding the shoe "packed". I worked a lot at learning to keep the shoulder that's supporting my weight is packed, but apparently I need to do the same on the other side too.

I also did yoga, ate 6 fruits and veggies, stayed within my hunger ratings and did the evening routine.

• Like 1

Battle Log

Nice early progress with the S&S, I like the ankle weight idea.  Weight will definitely show issues with keeping your shoulders.  That's one que that I need to move up weight, sloppy shoulders.

Proud of you, you are kicking rear :) 

Barbarian Assassin / Level 5

STR: 16.5 | DEX: 4.8 | STA: 8.9 | CON: 8.7 | WIS: 6.6 | CHA: 6.8

My Current Six Week Challenge - Jrosto - A Barbarian Cleans Up His Act

Previous Challenges - #1, #2, #3, #4

My NF Introduction Post : My MDA Journal : My MDA Phase 1 Success Story

Simple & Sinister Workout Log

Keep Calm and Send in the Penguins!

I'm going to keep using this thread as a "battle log" until next week. 

Monday

I did a 30 minute kettlebell workout, though that did include the warm-up. I did 2 sets of the S&S warm-up. I did the prying goblet squats and the halos with the 8kg KB. I wasn't sore at all today so I went back to the 16kg KB for the swings. I did 5 sets of 10 two handed swings. My form is getting better every time, though I have to watch out about leaning backwards at the top of the swing when I'm using the heavy KB. I did 4 sets of 1 TGU on each side and then decided to see how I did holding the 8kg KB. I decided that I would give it a try and stop whenever it felt like I couldn't control it. On both sides I got to the point right before I lunge upward to standing. To me that's the part where I have the least amount of control, so I didn't feel like I should chance it. The main thing I learned (besides the fact that I'm not ready to do TGU's while holding an 18-19 lb iron ball over my head!) is that the shoe isn't quite enough. The KB pulls my arm off balance and the shoe isn't heavy enough to replicate that. I have some ankle weights so I think I'll try strapping those to my wrists and while still balancing the shoe. 

I still did yoga, stayed within my hunger ratings and did the evening routine, but I only ate 5 fruits and veggies.

Tuesday

Another 30 minute kettlebell workout (that included the warm-up). It was actually a couple of minutes longer than 30 minutes. I wasn't sore today either. The warm-up was the same as yesterday. I decided to do a set of deadlifts and hikes before the swings just for practice. I used the 16kg for those. I did 5 sets of 10 two handed swings after that, also with the 16kg. I did use the ankle weights during the TGU's. They are 2.5 lb weights, so not really heavy, just enough so that I have to work to keep my arm vertical. During the first couple of sets I didn't even really notice a difference, but as my arms got tired it got harder. I think this will probably help a lot. It also showed me that I'm not keeping the shoulder that's holding the shoe "packed". I worked a lot at learning to keep the shoulder that's supporting my weight is packed, but apparently I need to do the same on the other side too.

I also did yoga, ate 6 fruits and veggies, stayed within my hunger ratings and did the evening routine.

Stealing this idea if I can find my ankle weights

• Like 1

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Stealing this idea if I can find my ankle weights

It was actually REALLY helpful! Today after 3 sets of the TGU's with the ankle weights, I had to take them off because my arms were too tired to hold them up. I could tell a difference as soon as I started the TGU's today. All the stabilizing muscles were tired feeling even though I hadn't noticed before the workout.

The kettlebell workout today was about 40 minutes today including the warm-up. I can't seem to remember to look at the clock after I finish the warm-up. I did 2 sets of the warm-up, 5 prying goblet squats with 8kg KB, 5 3 sec bridges, 5 halos (8kg). I did 5 sets of 10 two handed swings with a 16kg KB. Then I did 3 sets of TGU's wearing the ankle weight and balancing the shoe. This was very hard today. My arms were tired from the beginning and I had a lot of trouble balancing the shoe. I finally took off the ankle weight and did the last two sets just balancing the shoe. Because I dropped the shoe so often I had to do several parts of the TGU over again so it was probably more than 5 sets in the end. I had some trouble keeping my shoulder packed, particularly on the right side so I worked on that after the TGU's. Finally I held the 8kg KB over my head to get what the packed shoulder is supposed to feel like. I held the KB over my head on both sides 3 times for as long as I could. I'm probably going to keep doing that too. Tomorrow was already going to be a rest day and I'm glad. My arms and shoulders are tired and sore, so definitely ready for a rest.

I did yoga this morning, stayed within my hunger ratings and did the evening routine. I was on track to get all the fruits and veggies but I wasn't very hungry at dinner and couldn't finish. I ate probably 5 fruits and veggies, maybe 4.5.

I think I've mostly planned my quests for the new challenge, but I'm still working on it.

Battle Log

It was actually REALLY helpful! Today after 3 sets of the TGU's with the ankle weights, I had to take them off because my arms were too tired to hold them up. I could tell a difference as soon as I started the TGU's today. All the stabilizing muscles were tired feeling even though I hadn't noticed before the workout.

The kettlebell workout today was about 40 minutes today including the warm-up. I can't seem to remember to look at the clock after I finish the warm-up. I did 2 sets of the warm-up, 5 prying goblet squats with 8kg KB, 5 3 sec bridges, 5 halos (8kg). I did 5 sets of 10 two handed swings with a 16kg KB. Then I did 3 sets of TGU's wearing the ankle weight and balancing the shoe. This was very hard today. My arms were tired from the beginning and I had a lot of trouble balancing the shoe. I finally took off the ankle weight and did the last two sets just balancing the shoe. Because I dropped the shoe so often I had to do several parts of the TGU over again so it was probably more than 5 sets in the end. I had some trouble keeping my shoulder packed, particularly on the right side so I worked on that after the TGU's. Finally I held the 8kg KB over my head to get what the packed shoulder is supposed to feel like. I held the KB over my head on both sides 3 times for as long as I could. I'm probably going to keep doing that too. Tomorrow was already going to be a rest day and I'm glad. My arms and shoulders are tired and sore, so definitely ready for a rest.

I did yoga this morning, stayed within my hunger ratings and did the evening routine. I was on track to get all the fruits and veggies but I wasn't very hungry at dinner and couldn't finish. I ate probably 5 fruits and veggies, maybe 4.5.

I think I've mostly planned my quests for the new challenge, but I'm still working on it.

You are doing a great job at making sure you have awesome form. That will really pay off as you progress

• Like 2

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

You are doing a great job at making sure you have awesome form. That will really pay off as you progress

I'm trying! My usual method for these things is to jump in with both feet and not worry about whether I'm doing it right. But with big heavy iron balls I thought it would be best to actually work on my form the way I'm supposed to!

• Like 1

Battle Log