kwesadilo challenge number 10

kwesadilo

So I skipped out on the last challenge due to a hectic schedule. I think that has mostly abated, and I've been doing an OK job lately of keeping my workout schedule. Without much fanfare, I believe I have nearly accomplished my previous main quest, which was to complete my novice strength training progression. Some of my lifts are still recovering from some disruptive travel in July(!), but most of them were back where they were pre-vacation, and they are stalled just like they were before. This means that it is time for me to move to an intermediate training program. I haven't done this before, so I expect to have to iron out a few bugs. Nevertheless, my goals will be based on things going as planned. For at least the first week, I will continue to run out the novice progression on at least some lifts. I am led to believe that at this point in my training, my discretion becomes more important to successful programming, so I will play the transition by ear. Without further ado...

Main Quest

Become more generally fit and acquire physical skills outside lifting. (This is a lame placeholder. As I move into an intermediate lifting program, I intend to start working on my conditioning and eventually pursue useful skills such as martial arts or rock climbing. However, I do not yet have specific goals.)

Goals

• Squat 325 310 lbs. I am being intentionally vague about the number of reps, because that can change during an intermediate progression. However, I will not attempt an unscheduled 1RM to complete this goal at the expense of my long-term training. Whatever the program says to do on heavy day, that will be what I try to do.
    • My 5RM right now is 300, so this allows for weekly 5-lb. increases with one small deload to start. Maybe I need a bigger deload. We'll see.
    • This is worth 4 STR.
  • Bench press 195 lbs. Same caveat as above.
    • My 5RM is 190, although that hasn't happened for a while. I will need to get back up from 170. Same math as above.
    • 4 STR
  • Deadlift 335 lbs. for 5 reps.
    • My 5RM is 330, but as of Friday, I am at 310. I don't think I've ever quite stalled out on the deadlift. I might be able to stick to a linear progression here. Math is similar to above.
    • 4 STR

Side Quest

Run for 20 minutes without stopping. Since I started getting serious about lifting, cardio has been almost nonexistent. Now that my lifting schedule won't be quite as intense, I'd like to start working on conditioning.

• 3 STA

"I've got to look like I could kill someone when I take my shirt off." - Daniel Craig

Edit: Wimp out of my original squat goal.

• Like 1

"I've got to look like I could kill someone when I take my shirt off." - Daniel Craig

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior

STR - 63 DEX - 22 STA - 16 CON - 47 WIS - 48 CHA - 7

You got this.  tell us how about the journey

AoC5geS.gif

As I am watching

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

Week 1 status

• Squat: Woops, guess what happens to your 5RM when you don't squat heavy for a week and a half? As of last Wednesday, my 5RM is 275. If I assume weekly, intermediate progression from there, 6 weeks would get me back to 305, which I already did. If I keep alternating heavy and light workouts until I get back up to 300 and then switch to a weekly progression, that would get me around 310 by the end of the challenge. The latter plan is probably the most optimistic plan that is still plausible. Since this is for Internet points, I'm gonna go ahead and retcon my squat goal as 310. We'll see where this goes.
  • Bench: I again did 170, because it had been more than a couple days since my last bench workout. It was easy.
  • Deadlift: I attempted but did not complete 320 tonight. Although I am still recovering my previous max, I will jump down to 5 lb increases and continue with a linear progression (although I am only deadlifting every 5th workout). Assuming that works, I'll get close enough to this one that it seems weasely to change it. Plus, this was a programming error committed during the challenge, not an inaccurate estimate made before it.
  • Running: On Sunday, I spent 20 minutes alternating 3-minute intervals of running with 1-minute intervals of walking. It was pretty easy. I don't have a very concrete plan for this goal yet.

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior

Week 2 status

• Squat: I did 270x5x3 on Thursday. It was pretty hard. Hopefully, I'll be ready to do 280 tomorrow.
  • Bench: I did 175x5x3. It was very hard towards the end, and I had some slightly dubious spotting. I'm mostly convinced he actually didn't touch the bar, but I'd say it's at least time to switch back to microloading.
  • Deadlift: I have not had any deadlift workouts since I last checked in. For Thursday, I'm not sure whether to try 320 lbs. again or drop back to 315 and proceed from there with 5-lb. increments.
  • Running: Today, I did 20 minutes of 4-minute running intervals and 1-minute walking intervals. My calves started to get sore halfway through, but I kind of recovered and finished strong. Obviously, I can't just keep increasing my running intervals by 1 minute each week until I get to 20 minutes, or I won't finish by the end of the challenge. I'm not entirely sure how to proceed from here. Probably training more than once a week would be advisable.

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior

Week 3 status (belated)

• Squat: I did not, in fact, do 280 on Tuesday. I did 275, and then I did 280 this Monday.
  • Bench: Attempted and failed 180 (5, 5, 4) last Wednesday. I came down with a cold last week, so I figured I'd not push it and go for 177.5, but I did even worse on that. Perhaps I was too sick and not well rested enough to allow for sufficient recovery, although I wasn't that sick or sleep deprived. This was kind of a letdown.
  • Deadlift: Attempted and again failed 315. I also looked back at my records and noticed that my all-time 5RM is 320, not 330 as stated earlier. So it makes sense that my gains are slowing down getting back up to 320. I would have thought I could do 315 though. I'm only deadlifting every 5th workout.
  • Running: Finally something going my way! I did 20 minutes of 5/6-minute intervals of running and 1-minute intervals of walking. It wasn't that hard. My plan for the next 3 weeks is to do 2 total minutes of walking, then 1, then 0. Hopefully one day a week will be enough.
  • Like 1

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior

Week 10 (edit: in base 4, I'm fine!)

• Squat: I did 285 on Friday. It was very hard. If nothing else goes wrong, I will be at 300 by the end of the challenge, which won't even be a PR.
  • Bench: I did 175 on Friday, and it wasn't that bad. I suppose I will try 180 on Wednesday. My form has been pretty good lately, so maybe I can do a couple more workouts of 5-lb increments before I switch to microloading.
  • Deadlift: I did 310 today, and it was pretty easy, so I seem to have finally stopped the bleeding.
  • Running: Yesterday, I did 20 minutes of 6 minutes running, 1 minute walking. It was a little hard toward the end. Maybe if I am feeling adventurous, I will go for another run midweek to try and bridge the gap between 6-minute run intervals and the anticipated 10-minute run intervals next Sunday.

Edit: Seriously, I have no idea how I did that.

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior

Week 5 status

• Squat: On Wednesday, I attempted but did  not come close to completing 290 lbs. When I was originally progressing here, I got stuck for a while at 285, but then I reset and went smoothly through 290 until I got stuck at 305. I'm going to give 290 another shot tomorrow, but I might just switch to weekly progression at this point, because that would be more efficient than spending forever trying to get past 290 lifting heavy every other workout.
  • Bench: I did 177.5 for 4,4,3 on Wednesday. I thought about trying 180, but I was feeling pretty weak after my sad squat performance. That is progress after a fashion, but I would have hoped that I could  still go a little faster than I did the first time I got up to 190.
  • Deadlift: I have not deadlifted since my last update.
  • Running: On Tuesday, I did 20 minutes of intervals with run intervals of 8, 8, and 2 minutes and walk intervals of 1 minute. It wasn't too hard. I didn't make time for working out (or really anything of consequence) on Sunday, but I plan to run on Wednesday, Sunday, and maybe Friday to try and finish this up.

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior

Week 6 status

• Squat: On Sunday, I did 290x5x3. It was hard but not as hard as 285 was a week and half ago.
  • Bench: I did 177.5x5,5,4 on Tuesday, but then on Sunday, I regressed to 5,4,3. Now is probably the appropriate time to break out the intermediate programming for pressing exercises. Or maybe I just need to do some skullcrushers. I think my bench form is OK these days.
  • Deadlift: Did 315x4 on Thursday.
  • Running: Ran for 20 minutes straight at a 10-minute mile pace. It wasn't super hard. I tried to kick my feet up behind me in the "stepping over a log" motion recommended for barefoot running toward the end, and that got pretty hard.

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior

Wrapup

• Squat: Added 20 lbs to my squat from where it was near the beginning of the challenge, but at no time did I set a PR, and I still haven't caught up to my previous PR.
    • F! +0 STR
  • Bench: A similar story. An abyssmal 2.5 lb increase in 6 weeks, and nowhere close to my previous PR. It it almost definitely time to switch to intermediate programming.
    • F! +0 STR
  • Deadlift: Not quite as bad as the others, since I did approach my previous 5RM, and I didn't get stuck for a long time.
    • Still an F! No PR, no points. +0 STR
  • Running: Finally something I actually did! This went really well and wasn't too hard.
    • A! +3 STA

Although this might seem like a copout, I'm going to say I completed this challenge. I didn't make any of my strength goals, but I did progress toward them about as quickly as I probably could have, and I was pretty consistent with my training. I'm not sure what's up with my performance this month. I was eating a little less for a few weeks, and I was running doing 20 minutes of cardio a week, but those aren't very big changes. Plus, I was recovering previously gained strength, so it shouldn't have taken as much energy as it did the first time. In the last week or so, I've increased my calories back to where they were at the start of the challenge, and I've started lifting every 3 days instead of Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Hopefully, I'll be able to get back to my previous PRs before switching to intermediate programming.

I'm toying with the idea of not doing specific strength increases as challenges anymore. There are too many ways for it to go wrong in spite of doing the right thing during the challenge, so I end up failing even though I actually got stronger. On the other hand, from an RPG point of view, it is to be expected that strength points would be harder to come by as I got stronger. Strength gains are certainly harder to come by in real life. Maybe it's OK to regularly set somewhat ambitious goals and only occasionally meet them, but I'd really like to meet my own expectations sometime. Maybe things are just awkward, because I'm at the unpredictable end of the novice program, and it will be easier to set and meet realistic goals once I've switched to intermediate programming.

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior