Brekke’s Companion Training

Brekketechie

At work. I don't buy snacks fr the house (okay, I *did* by some chocolate last week, but that's rare). If I want something "snaky" at home, I have lightly salted seaweed sheets that are delicious, only 60 calories a pack and tend to curb the cravings. But work is totally different. I work with college kids, so there's snacks everywhere all the time. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak...

Oh man, work is TOUGH.  I used to work at a place that had candy dishes everywhere and would often order pizza for the group "just because".  Literally the worst.  It's so hard to resist................... ;_;

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

» visit me @ my BATTLE LOG~

Ah, the old team is back! Well, today was a really good run day! Why? INTERVALS!

Week 4, Day 4 update:

run: 3.2 miles, 39 minutes, 12:12 average pace, 337.2 calories

Today was interval day. It consisted of 2 different types of intervals: 4x 3:00 runs, 1 minutes walks and 4x 2:minute runs, :15 second sprints, 1 minute walks. There were interchanged every other with a five minute walking warm-up and cool-down. My average running pace was 10:15! My sprints were 8:44! I can see definite improvement as I look back at a run from September 7 - I ran 39 minutes, but only covered 2.85 miles, and my running pace was 11:45. That's vast improvement in a single month! This is keeping me jazzed - I am still sore from leg day yesterday and it took me over an hour to get out of bed and decide to go run. I'm so glad it did. 

I'm reading 4 Hour Body by Tim Ferris. I can see where Steve borrowed some of his techniques (like measuring everything!). What are people's thoughts? Has anyone tested his method? I'm a little wary of using stimulants. And I hate the idea of giving up fruit! Thoughts? 

Okay my loves, this girl is going to ride her productivity wave and try to get a bunch of work accomplished! Happy Thursday!

tumblr_naso5cgm3S1rr4fbbo5_250.gif

• Like 2

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

STR 8 | DEX 7 | STA 10 | CON 7.5 | WIS 13 | CHA 12

Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th
Battle Log

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot

I just borrowed the 4-Hour Chef from the library to check out this guys writing after listening to an interview Steve did with him.  Yeah not keen on stimulants other than a good cup of coffee or tea.  I would only drop fruit if I was cutting drastically like a coworker does that completes in bikini competition within body building competitions.  I think they offer enough nutrients that dropping them completely would make me sad.  However I went from eating several pieces a day with little veggies to swapping to way more veggies and only a piece or two a day.  I like to use fruit as a desert instead of junk from time to time.  Not always successful on that front and I know sugar is sugar but fruit does have some redeeming nutritional value if I am going for a sweet treat vs junk foods.

Those intervals sound fun!

• Like 2

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

This weekend got CRAZY. But I still managed a run: 6.17 miles, 1:17:15 minutes, 742 calories. 12:31 Average pace. WIN! And I listened to all of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - such a fun book.

Week 4 Review:

Runs: 3!  A

Core: 2!  A+

Sins: 10 C-

Writing: F (I was reading a lot this week)

Overall: B-/C+

Eating right is still a huge challenge for me. We had a student death on Friday so I ate my feelings all weekend. I know that in some ways that's an act of self care, but I need to also remember not to sabotage my training efforts by emotionally eating. The runs just keep getting better (although, after my 6 miler I was exhausted), and I feel good. Just got to keep up that forward momentum.

Allonsy!!

Allonsy.gif

• Like 3

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

Battle Log

Oh I'm so sorry about the death at your school. It's tough to work through.

Your momentum is really good and I'm sure you'll find a tactic that will work with the food goal.

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Why is having a healthy routine so hard?

I would also like to know the answer to this question. And without going on a diatribe about the evils of Capitalism, I would like to contribute this answer:

We can't do it without a supportive community. The WHOLE community. Our entire culture is designed to keep us at the grindstone, and not to support or lift us up. 

Fortunately, we have this community! And I'm wondering -- if maybe it might help you to list your wins, rather than focusing so much on your fails here. 

What kinds of wins have you had since you last posted on the 21st of September?? 

For example, in my challenge, I'm FINALLY doing great at drinking less and I KILLED it at my life challenge. 2 out of 3 isn't bad. Not bad. At. All. 

Hang in there. You can do this! 

• Like 2

Skaði Thistleside

Half Dwarf/Half Human : Scout 

My 3rd 4 Week Challenge

Level 4

STR 4/ DEX 1/ STA 4/ CON 3/ WIS 5/ CHA 4

"Je suis Prest." 

Week 5 for far:

Day 1: 

run: 3.07 miles, 39 minutes, 12:44 average pace, 337.2 calories

sins: 3 (2 glasses of wine!)

Day 2:

Sins: 1

Writing: 45 minutes

Day 3:

Core: 

3x8 dumbbell curls (20 lbs - 10lbs each arm)

3x8 dumbbell rows (20lbs)

3x8 pressups (20lbs)

3x8 leg lifts

3x :10 plank

I was suppose to run 7 miles today, but my left glutes (like smack in the middle of my backside) felt wonky and sore. After some gentle stretching I went to bed, hoping it would better. I mean, I downloaded Lirael specifically for my run! But, alas, it still felt off this morning. I tried 10 body weight squats and it felt really tender. So,I dropped the squats form my workout and focused on the upper body stuff. I'm getting on a plane in 5 hours - taking students to a HUGE international conference - and I had hoped to get my long run in before I left - there won't be time or place for it the rest of the week. But I suspect that I might need to be easy this week so I don't do any real damage. I'm going to try and get on the bike at the hotel gym tonight or tomorrow and do an interval workout focusing on working out my heart and lungs. If I feel better later this week, I'll do an easy 3 miles. Oh, bodies, not keeping up with what we want them to do.

I don't think I'll be able to post again until Sunday night. SO, I'll catch y'all up then :D

tumblr_m1t4ewUStb1r9u4hu.gif

• Like 3

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

Battle Log

An easier week every so often is good for you - like a deload week when lifting. I'm sure you'll be back to firing on all cylinders after the Mega Conference (I just named it MegaCon in my head btw...)

• Like 1

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: #OperationWeddingSuit

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

Week 5 Review:

Runs: 1 - but y'all I walked like CRAZY at the conference. 20,000+ steps Thursday, 18,000+ Friday, 16,000+ Saturday and 12000 Sunday. All of those are well over 5 miles of walking. Like Big_Show said, sometimes a deloaded week is good - my muscles don't feel sore & tight. Hopefully I can get back into my running habit without any problems.  

Core: 1 workout before I left for the conference - A

Sins: like 11. I indulged in a glass of wine every night of the conference, and chocolate on the plane rides. Honestly, I do't even feel bad about this. I ate REALLY well the rest of the time, so I call it a draw. C+

Writing: I got in about 2 hours of writing; about 45 minutes before we left and an hour-hour and a half during the conference. Surprising given how busy I was form Wednesday to Sunday. B

Overall: B

I'm still tired from the trip. I tried to get extra sleep yesterday (which I had off from work) but I just feel really run down. I went to bed at 10:30 with the intentions of getting up this morning between 6:30-&am to go running, but that just didn't happen. Normally i'd give myself a second "recovery" week, but with thew half-Marathon less than 9 weeks away, I just don't think that's wise. All I really want to do is curl up in my bed and listen to audiobooks (I'm current;y finishing Abhorsen by Garth Nix, read by Tim Curry - the best of the series so far). 

Must rally for week 6! We're almost done!

tumblr_inline_n2s2efDpia1rd20zx.gif

• Like 3

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

Battle Log

Week 6, day 3:

How am I halfway through my FINAL week?!?

Runs: 2.89 miles, 37.17 minutes, 333 calories, 12:55 average pace. I was SO much slower than I've been. I don't know if it was a mental thing or if a week off really set me back, but I just couldn't push hard. 

I have a super busy weekend - event Friday night, big party I'm throwing Saturday-Sunday, business dinner Sunday night. My goal is to get in a 7 mile run Friday morning and if I can get another 30 minute run in on Sunday. I'm a little frazzled with the business of the last 2 weeks, but I'm trying to hold on for the challenge - and keep my Half-Marathon in mind. But I can and I will - I just might groan about it. 

ALSO! I signed up for my very first ever NaNoWriMo!!! I have a second novel idea bouncing around and figure that, while I wait for my Beta readers to give me their feedback, I can at least keep writing something. Currently am working on an over-arching novel outline (it's a re-telling of little red ridding hood). If you're participating, come be my friend! I'm Brekke El in California. 

What on earth am I getting myself into....?

tumblr_meztxwhH6r1qhap1n.gif

• Like 1

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

Battle Log

Week 6 Review:

YOU GUYS LIFE IS SO MESSY AND FULL!

The last 2 weeks have been thing after thing and my schedule has been totally off the mark. I've only worked out once and my eating has gone to hell in a fiery golden hand basket (of doom). The writing has been on point though. So, to keep from wasting precious time, here's my overall review...

CHALLENGE REVIEW

Runs: aside for the last 2 weeks where life went to shit, I was super on top of this so - B+

Core: again, aside form the last 2 weeks of crazy, I was SMASHING this  - B+

Sins: this was harder, I never stayed within my sin range despite trying  - D

Writing: hit or miss although it did pick up in the second half  - C+  

Overall: C+/B-

Really, keeping to a workout routine when your schedule is all screwed up is freaking hard. That's the biggest learning curve for me. Once I get through next week, thing should mellow out again. November is dedicated to running and writing. I've signed up for NaNoWriMo (!!!) so... yeah. Words and miles are my life. I'm actually looking forward to retreating to my hidey-hole and regrouping. I'm more of an introvert than I thought. 

Thanks for sticking with me comrades! I'll be posting over in my Battle Log for the by-weeks (mostly just focusing on running and NaNoWriMo prep). I think I'll shift gears and focus on food after the Half-Marathon. There's just too much to cover right now.

See y'all on the flip side!

grouphugchristmasinvasion.gif

• Like 2

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

Battle Log

I know full well how a crazy schedule can affect a challenge - back when I was havinv nightly driving lessons I ran out of time and/or motivation pretty much daily! Hope things are more settled for you on the next one.

• Like 1

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: #OperationWeddingSuit

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

YOU GUYS LIFE IS SO MESSY AND FULL!

MY ANTHEM LATELY

I FEEL YOU <3

Congrats on pushing through especially with all the craziness! You are braver and stronger for it!  On to NOVEMBER!!! <3

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

» visit me @ my BATTLE LOG~