Lifting stuff up and putting it down again

Hi. Been posting a training log on another forum, but came across Rebellion HQ and thought I'd feel right at home here.

I began lifting 9 months ago at 39yo and have followed a few programs including Stronglifts 5x5, One Lift A Day and the 40 Workout Challenge from Dan John. That got me to a 100kg deadlift, 95kg squat and 52.5kg push press (I don't like benching). I recently began trying strongman-style training and have fallen in love with how it translates into real-world practical strength, ie. picking up heavy awkward stuff and moving it around (when was the last time someone asked you to pick up a barbell shaped object and squat up and down with it on your shoulders?).

So anyway, my training at the moment is nice and simple, ie. one main lift followed by an assistance lift normally 6 days a week (little and often) using a mixture of barbell, dumbbells, log, tyre, sandbag etc.

So here goes...

17/9/15

Keg clean & press

5x5x30kg

One-arm dumbbell press

3x8x15kg (each arm)

My keg clean & press technique is certainly unorthodox.  I kind of do an explosive deadlift/high pull then bounce the keg off my stomach/lower chest and press it up.  These are much harder than barbell c&p due to the water sloshing around in the keg (hence the lower weight).  You really need to fight the movement and instability of the keg to get it up there.

Hey pirate, thanks for dropping by. In Irish folklore, Cu Chulainn was a great Celtic warrior who protected Ulster (Northern Ireland) against its enemies. When in battle, he would become possessed by incredible strength and power making him a force to be reckoned with (he's also the star of a cool graphic novel by Will Sliney). I'm certainly nothing like the character in my avatar, but I do live in Ulster and I like to take Cu Chulainns intensity and ferocity into my battle with the barbell/keg/log/stones etc.

What's the story behind your username?

• Like 2

Hi Cu Chulainn, i don't know if you want to join in with the current six week challenge - obviously you're really motivated already but if you start a thread in Recruits and tell people what your goals are, you will get some people noticing your posts and cheering you on. Disregard this if you're happy just to use this as a place to log your workouts or if you're already on the Recruits threads.

Anyway it's a happy Friday for me, hopefully more deadlifts today, always like a deadlifts day.

3/10/15

Worked up to max singles in push press, zercher squat and trap bar deadlift.  I'm going to start the 9-week extended Russian peaking program on Mon with these three lifts.  I hear it can be brutal, so to be on the safe side I'm plugging a 'comfortable' max for each into the calculator.  Those will be:

Push press 55kg

Zercher squat 90kg

Trap bar deadlift 140kg

Roll on Monday!

9/10/15

Week 1, Day 3  Extended Russian Peaking Program

Zercher squats

6x3x70kg

Push press

6x2x42.5kg

Had hoped to get a bit of event practice in over the weekend, e.g. farmers carry, yoke carry (with barbell), keg loading etc. but that's not going to happen now.  Oh well, the volume increases to 6x4 next week so at least I'll get a bit more work in then.