Lifting stuff up and putting it down again

I've decided to run the Practical Programming Novice Program for a while.  Chose it for its simplicity and the fact it includes chin ups and pull ups so getting a bit of upper back and arm work in there too.  That said, I can't do a full pull up yet and can only do one chin up, so I'll do negatives until I can.

Mon

Squat 3x5

Press/bench 3x5 (alternating)

Chin ups 3x sets to failure (adding weight once hitting 15 reps)

Wed

Squat 3x5

Deadlift 1x5/Power clean 5x3 (alternating)

Fri

Squat 3x5

Pull ups 3x sets to failure (adding weight once hitting 15 reps)

8/1/16

Squat

3 x 5 x 95kg

Bench

3 x 5 x 60kg

Inverted row

3 x 10

Band pull aparts

3 x 10

Three weeks into Practical Programming and it feels great.  I suffer from a bit of program ADHD, but I'm managing to stick to this well and seeing some good progress on it (funny that!).  This workout I squatted 3x5 with what was my 1RM not too long ago.  I haven't benched in ages (I much prefer overhead press) but to be honest 60kg felt pretty easy.  Inverted rows are coming along a bit, but I'm still a long way off knocking out pull ups.  Still, Rome wasn't built in a day.

11/1/16

Squat

3 x 5 x 97.5kg

Press

1 x 4 x 50kg

2 x 5 x 50kg

Inverted chins

3 x 10

Band pull aparts

3 x 10

My first missed reps on this program. Missed the last rep of my first set of presses, but then got mad about it and completed the next two sets. Suppose I'll just have to repeat 50kg on Friday. I threw everything at those presses though and had nothing left for negative chins, so I set the bar in the rack and did inverted chins instead.

13/1/16

Squat

3 x 5 x 100kg

Bench

3 x 5 x 62.5kg

Deadlift

0 x 0 x 120kg

Band pull aparts

3 x 10

Got my squats into triple figures. Yay me! May have been at the expense of deadlift though. Boo! Don't know if it was too big a jump, or I was zonked after the squats, but the bar just would not move. By the time I had a few tries, I couldn't even muster enough up to knock out a lighter set. Disappointing.

18/1/16

My joints are struggling to keep up with the rest of my body increasing weight each workout, so this week I'm trying out a Texas Method style of workout (weekly increase) to give my knees, hips, back and elbows a bit of a break.  My lifts are clearly nowhere near anything requiring an intermediate program, but if I keep going much longer with workout to workout increases something's going to give.  I may go back to Practical Programming when I feel less beat up, or I may stay on Texas Method depending on how it goes. 

Volume day

Squat

5 x 5 x 90kg

Bench

5 x 5 x 55kg

Deadlift

3 x 5 x 95kg

Band pull aparts

3 x 10

Barbell curl

3 x 10 x 20kg

This felt pretty good.  It was still decent weight (for me) and the extra volume gave me a bit of work. 

• Like 1