Ewwww milk. And I hate the gym

Had cow milk for the first time in a long time today :(  I like to drink black coffee so I went into a chocolate shop I used to really like because I remembered they had chocolate flavored coffee.  Due to some poor communication, I somehow ended up with a latte that they made there for me.  It was cute and all, but ugh milk.  The thing that always ends up throwing me off a diet is when people give me stuff that I can't just give back or away.  I hate just throwing stuff away, so I'll end up eating/drinking it, which then sends me back into the withdrawal phase where my dreams about sugary foods are more intense than a lucid wet dream.  Well at least it was just a little bit of milk.  Hopefully that won't do anything to me.

Aside from that, I honestly have no idea how people stand gyms.  I do well in group classes, where I'm forced to try to keep up and in doing so, I don't get bored.  I tried going to the gym twice this week.  The first time, I was so lost that all I did were a few kettle bell swings, snatches, and squats, then a mile run.  The second time, I tried interval running which I quickly got bored and tired of, then went on towards more kettle bell squats, swings, and the like.  Honestly I get way too self conscious in the gym and lost, even if I make a plan.  Honestly I'm a sheeple when it comes to working out.  I only know how to follow others, so if I don't have a group to follow, I get very unsure of myself very fast thus my willpower drains faster too.  For now I'll keep sticking with classes, but do any of you have suggestions for getting used to independent exercise?  

• Like 1

Weenie131
Race: Maenad (Greek Mythological Party Girl) | Class: Adventurer
[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

Current Challenge

Had cow milk for the first time in a long time today :(  I like to drink black coffee so I went into a chocolate shop I used to really like because I remembered they had chocolate flavored coffee.  Due to some poor communication, I somehow ended up with a latte that they made there for me.  It was cute and all, but ugh milk.  The thing that always ends up throwing me off a diet is when people give me stuff that I can't just give back or away.  I hate just throwing stuff away, so I'll end up eating/drinking it, which then sends me back into the withdrawal phase where my dreams about sugary foods are more intense than a lucid wet dream.  Well at least it was just a little bit of milk.  Hopefully that won't do anything to me.

Aside from that, I honestly have no idea how people stand gyms.  I do well in group classes, where I'm forced to try to keep up and in doing so, I don't get bored.  I tried going to the gym twice this week.  The first time, I was so lost that all I did were a few kettle bell swings, snatches, and squats, then a mile run.  The second time, I tried interval running which I quickly got bored and tired of, then went on towards more kettle bell squats, swings, and the like.  Honestly I get way too self conscious in the gym and lost, even if I make a plan.  Honestly I'm a sheeple when it comes to working out.  I only know how to follow others, so if I don't have a group to follow, I get very unsure of myself very fast thus my willpower drains faster too.  For now I'll keep sticking with classes, but do any of you have suggestions for getting used to independent exercise?  

Hey girlfriend!

Cows milk is gross, ew! I can't handle that stuff. With you on the black coffee though. Best. Hope you feel okay!

Meanwhile. Gyms can be weird, unfriendly places. I used to get intimidated and self-conscious and would lose motivation quite quickly. I was like, 'How the hell am I meant to motivate myself to do any of this shit? I'd rather be alone on my couch eating pizza.' For me, it was two things that helped me gain the ability to workout alone. First, I try to make health and fitness a priority in my life. Between the prevalence of lifestyle diseases these days, and a long term injury that will need nurturing throughout my entire life, I need to keep fit. The less fit I am, the worse I feel physically (makes sense!) That's what motivates me. Also, I want to look sexy. Well...sexier ;)

Second, I go to the gym with a plan, and I make sure I know exactly what I'm doing each time. I hate wasting time at the gym. I hate wasting time anywhere, I'm a very efficient person, haha. I want to get in, warm up, work out, cool down, get out. Go to woah, I'm outta there in 45 minutes. So I don't muck around. Work with a trainer to develop a program (you will only need 2-3 sessions I reckon) that you enjoy, and that you'll know inside out. If you go in knowing what you're doing and you're totally clued in on each of the exercises you're doing, I think you'll benefit greatly. It also will help you to track your progress, rather than going in and doing a few things willy-nilly.

Let us know how you're going!

• Like 1

I aim to misbehave.

Battle log

How is it that you're making a plan?  If it's following that you need to do, then find a WOD (Workout of the Day) to follow.  Maybe a youtube video.  Write down the 6-8 exercise circuit and make that your gym partner.  Don't mind anyone else in the gym.

| LVL1 | Human | Ranger/Monk | Neutral Good w/ chaotic tendencies|

| Male | 33 years | 5'7" |168 lbs | Right-handed |

| STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 2 |

Progress Photos Album

Character attributes: Especially self-critical and self-condemning.  Possesses strong polymathic potential, but circumstances, time and the will toward achieving that potential remain in constant fluctuation. Indecisiveness leads to indecision and determination must be coupled with foreseeable goals. Emotional quotient and empathic ability is high.  However, with indifferent resignation, can be detached from people and places .   

Doing youtube videos at home can help.

I also lift weights using a plan (Stronglifts 5x5) which helps me get in and get out quickly. The first time I went to the gym to lift, I was so scared I wouldn't do it at school, so I waited until my dad could go with me. After that, I summoned up some courage and went into the gym at school to lift weights were there were a bunch of scary looking college boys. Eventually, I realized that they're sort of nice. One even helped me lower the squat rack bar without me asking for help. 

But yeah, go in with a plan. Figure out what you're gonna do, then just do it. raggedsweater's idea was great :)

• Like 2

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

Doing youtube videos at home can help.

I also lift weights using a plan (Stronglifts 5x5) which helps me get in and get out quickly. The first time I went to the gym to lift, I was so scared I wouldn't do it at school, so I waited until my dad could go with me. After that, I summoned up some courage and went into the gym at school to lift weights were there were a bunch of scary looking college boys. Eventually, I realized that they're sort of nice. One even helped me lower the squat rack bar without me asking for help. 

But yeah, go in with a plan. Figure out what you're gonna do, then just do it. raggedsweater's idea was great :)

I ruined a gym subscription by not having a plan. Went a few times, felt lost, quit pretty soon after. 

This would've been the perfect realisation back then! Definitely something I would've made use of.

Also smart move on taking your dad with you the first time.

Taking a friend who goes to the gym is a pretty good step in between the classes and going to the gym by yourself.

He/she could also show you how they built their routine and you can find out what works for you.

• Like 1

I completely sympathise with you here. Some gyms are just filled with unkind people, people who are there to pick-up and nosey parkers who love nothing better than to tell you what you are doing wrong (not to help you, but to humiliate you). One thing I can recommend is finding a different gym, one that doesn't have offensive people, the way I got around this was by joining a 24hr gym with an access card and I go at about 10pm at night when there are very few people and the ones that are there are kind and mind their own business. The downside to this is there are no staff to help you if you need it so you need to go in with a plan. I started with a PT to teach me correct form and once I had that I went by myself.

Secondly I agree with Tolsimir - a GOOD gym buddy. Someone who will encourage you and spot you, someone who knows what your goals are and how much you can take. Someone who will laugh because Hells Bells came on and now all you can think of is the Klitchko Documentary. 

"Weights are boring" - I used to agree, but then I would set little goals and the rush of achieving them outWEIGHED (lol get it) the boredom of lifting heavy things. I love it now, I get a real sense of achievement when I do what I set out to. The muscle soreness is also a reminder of your success.

But there is nothing wrong with classes and if that's your groove go with it. Personally I never do well with classes because usually there isn't enough time for the instructor to correct your form, except yoga, my experiences with that have been pretty good.

Good luck! 

• Like 1

I have to second... third... fourth... the going with a plan. Also, make sure you at least kind of enjoy that plan. I've gone with a plan that had things like "Bicep curls - 3 sets of 15" and had something like 10 separate exercises on it and took FOREVER to complete. Lasted a couple weeks on that. Then I found the 5x5, and powerlifting, and for me the rush of deadlifting more weight than I thought possible, and the workouts being short enough has made going to the gym fun. I have days where I have to do things I don't enjoy, but in the back of my mind I know that it's going to make the fun part that much more fun.

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)