Pavowski is late to the party

Pavowski

I think I think too much.

Every challenge I try to come up with some new goal, something that pushes me in new ways, something that forces me to reach ever and ever higher.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Reaching higher is good. Reaching higher is how we grow.

But if you're always reaching, it becomes hard to take stock of where you are.

So this challenge is about stopping to smell the roses a bit. No over-the-top, world-breaking goals. No backbreaking, tooth-grinding workouts. Nothing I'm going to dread doing. Instead, a calming of the ship. An inspection on deck, as it were.

#1: Steps. For a while there, my wife and I got pretty good about doing 10,000 steps a day. She's been fantastic about it; I haven't. It's easily within range, and on run days I handle it easily, but on non-run days I tend to make like Elsa and let this one go. So: 10,000 steps a day, five days a week.

#2: Track. One of my overall goals around here (or so I say) is losing weight. Which is a goal I've sort of pretended hasn't existed since, oh, I dunno, March. I did well for a while, but then... well, let's not make excuses. I slacked. I'm getting back on the horse a little bit lately, but I haven't been regular about tracking my weight, which means I have no idea how I'm doing. Even just tracking my weight weekly means I'll be thinking more about my choices. Yeah, this goal falls into the "almost too easy" category, but that's kinda the point this challenge. So: One weigh-in weekly, recorded in my little black book and recorded here too, for good measure.

#3: Invert. One of the most enjoyable things I've done throughout my challenges and my time at NF has been working on my handstand. I can hold a walk-up facing-the-wall handstand for thirty seconds now, and can kick up pretty easily, too. But I can use more practice. Part of what I like about the handstand is that, when I'm good at it, it'll be a thing I can Just Do Anywhere. So I'm going to practice by going inverted as often as I can every day, whether it's part of my regular routine or not.

Of course I'll still be running, too, but I'm still nursing that PF injury, so I won't be setting any additional goals on that front; my primary concern is to keep those runs enjoyable.

So, three easy goals this time around. I'll come back around later and set some point values on this stuff. But for now, this is enough to get started.

Level 11 Brutish Scoutsassin (That's totally a thing, shut up)

Str: 30 Dex: 26 Sta: 27 Con: 11 Wis: 23 Cha: 18

NerdFitness Trials: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Inspiration comes in many forms. Watch me fumble towards it at Accidentally Inspired.

Oh, and while I'm several days late posting this thread, in my head I already started it on the proper day.

My weigh-in last Saturday: 188.4 pounds. Today: 187.4. That's unexpected; I will probably rebound a bit next week.

I made 10,000 steps every weekday, and have already made it today.

Aaand I caught a trio of kick-up handstands today while I had my kids at the mall playground. Drew some funny looks from the other parent that was hanging around, lol.

• Like 1

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Inspiration comes in many forms. Watch me fumble towards it at Accidentally Inspired.

Hey!!!

Great to see you here. WOOT

Let them look and stare and wonder, 'How have I never been courageous enough to do what I love, wherever I am? This guy is inspiring!'

I think your challenge is SMART. The biggest part being, Achievable! You are quite right about needing that equilibrium with your 'I'm eh now' place.

So have a fun challenge and hang out with us Scouts.

Cheers!

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Had a gorgeous trail run on Sunday, made it easy peasy getting to 10000 steps. Finished off with some inverted holds on the rings. Not a handstand, but worth mentioning. Lots of running around at work yesterday due to the time I'm taking off today and tomorrow made the 10,000 steps feel pretty breezy, and I caught some handstands on my lunch hour. Something about fitting in exercise at work makes you feel a little bit naughty, lol.

And today is runday funday, so I'm about to head out and knock out most of my steps. It's 65 degrees outside. Couldn't ask for much better!

• Like 1

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

10K step trail run?! sweet!!!!

It's gotten cooler here as  well, kinda nice.

Good luck with your inversions!

lol, 10k steps makes it sound more impressive than it is. It was only about 3.5 miles -- I guess those trails warrant a few more steps than road miles. And yeah, the weather has been in the 60s in the mornings here, absolutely gorgeous for running!

I somehow made it to 10k steps every day this week. Caught my handstand practice in the copy room this afternoon while putting together reading guides for my seniors. Woo!

Tomorrow's a weigh-in. Hope I don't bounce back too hard from last week...

• Like 1

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

With the working out you're doing, your scale may not be as accurate in what's really happening with your body. I may have mentioned this b4, as I am the old wise repeat woman of the Scouts, but have your done body measurements? Also, have you looked into how much protein you need each day to keep your body from burning muscle?

I know 10K steps and I know trails, SO I know what you did! LOL I sound like Phil Collins! hehehe

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

With the working out you're doing, your scale may not be as accurate in what's really happening with your body. I may have mentioned this b4, as I am the old wise repeat woman of the Scouts, but have your done body measurements? Also, have you looked into how much protein you need each day to keep your body from burning muscle?

I haven't, and I'm probably not going to. As my challenge can probably show you, it's enough for me to worry about tracking a thing as simple as the numbers on the scale. And yeah, I know it's maybe not the best scale to measure myself against, but it is one that matters to me. But tracking doesn't mean obsessing, either. I'm using it more as a "oh, so that's what's happening in there" sort of tool, rather than a "must get to xx level by yy date" tool.

And HAHA, no. I am pretty confident that I get plenty of protein in my diet, and again, me and that measurement thing...

• Like 1

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

This week's weigh in: same as last week at 187.4. That's a win, as I had fully expected to bounce back a bit from the full pound I lost the week prior.

More significant, however, is that I haven't yet missed 10,000 steps once since the challenge started, even though some nights it has meant walking laps upon laps around the coffee table.

I'm not necessarily tracking my progress -- in reps or duration -- on my handstands for this challenge, I'm just trying to do them in more places and situations. But I noticed an improvement I hadn't expected. I'm holding them for thirty seconds now with -- ease isn't the word, but let's say -- without wanting to die, which is pretty cool. But getting out of the stand when I walk up the wall has always been a dicey proposition: I always feel like I'm going to whack my knees on the wall or the floor. Suddenly, though, it feels like I've got plenty of strength in my hands to pivot away from the wall and lower a leg down gently to catch my balance. No more crashing to the floor, no more terror I'm going to bang a kneecap out of place -- it's all getting very smooth and controlled.

All that is to say, week 2 is feeling pretty good. It's another 65 degree morning out there, and I've got a gorgeous run ahead of me. Runday steps are the easiest -- and best!

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Woof. A rough week for some reason. Not sure whether it was the changing seasons or the days getting shorter, but I found myself uncharacteristically unmotivated to work out this week. I missed two, which really has me mad at myself, though the extra sleep I picked up in exchange certainly didn't go amiss. I also made some really dubious choices in my diet, and that pound that I didn't expect to go away a few weeks back has reappeared.

But.

I still have yet to miss a day of getting 10,000 steps, which is pretty excellent. I'm catching more and more handstands, and hey holy crap -- I actually kicked off from the wall and held myself upright for about five seconds the other day, which felt freaking awesome. And my injured foot, for whatever reason, is feeling stronger and stronger every day. So...

A week of minor setbacks tempered with steady gains. I think I'll take it.

200.gif

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

This was the bounce-back week!

I have no idea how my weigh-in is going to go tomorrow, but I haven't missed any workouts this week (and I for sure won't miss any over the weekend), even pouring on a little more speed than usual during my runs this week. Temps have been gorgeous by the way -- THIS is the season for the runner, no doubt. In related news, my injured foot is still feeling less and less injured. I'm guardedly optimistic that I may finally have this thing licked this time (it's only taken two years, lol).

Still streaking on 10,000 steps a day. It's been easier than I remembered, though I do have to commit time to it, and that's not always easy. So keeping that notch in the belt is a pretty big win.

Here's to the weekend. Go various Atlanta area teams!

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

And the weigh-in for the week is in: That fickle pound I lost and regained is gone again, putting me squarely back on 187.4. So maybe I can finish this challenge down after all. There's... what... two more weeks? Time flies when you're upside down.

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Another up and down week.

Holding steady with 10,000 steps per day was tough this week -- there were several days when all I wanted was to veg out on the couch. Still, I haven't missed a day, though a lot of that is due to my wife (she NEVER misses, and seeing her hit the mark every day is motivation in its own right).

Handstands are getting really fun... I can kick up to the wall, then kick off and hold myself in space for longer and longer. 

I'm up .4 pounds from last week, which is to be expected with all the unfortunate meal choices we've made of late. Still, I'm hovering right in the same range, so I guess not going up is a kind of win ... right?

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Man, they wasted no time in clearing out the challenge boards this time, did they?

Time for a post-mortem...

Steps. I made this goal every day except for one; that was a weekend day that my wife and I went to visit some family and ended up sitting on our donks pretty much all day. She was sick, I was recovering (and am not quite yet recovered) from being sick myself. I say that not to make excuses, but to point out how awesome -- and ultimately, not so challenging, it was to make the 10,000 steps a day. It was more a mental battle than anything, just convincing myself to get up and do it. The effort was easy. +3 sta, +2 wis.

Tracking. I did well enough at this, minimal though it was. Still, I could have easily done more, and I wasn't exactly punctual about my updates. +3 wis.

Invert. The handstand is looking better all the time, and I'm getting confident enough in it to start trying it in some different places, rather than just the "safe wall" in my classroom. I just need to learn how to bail out when I start to pitch over backwards, and I can start to try some free-standing maneuvers. How I'm going to get the guts to go for that though... well, there's always next challenge, I guess! +2 str, +3 dex.

This felt like a sort of phone-it-in challenge. Got to step it up for the next one.

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Hey!

Pav, you did well with this challenge and it's good to see your confidence up in the areas of steps and tracking. And handstands!! What a wonderful feeling it must be for you. So very happy for you!

I'll check in on your new challenge with eagerness!

22nd level Wanderer

The Way