So this morning I woke up, had a sandwich and said bye to my mom as she left for work, and then sat down to play Mass Effect 3 for about two hours. I took a lunch break, had a smoothie, watched some YouTube videos, and my younger brother offered to take me to the gym.

"You've gained a lot of weight, so, like, just imagine turning that bulk into muscle." He's 6' tall and lean, and I'm 5'7" short, and lean...ing towards stocky. (About 190 pounds)

I declined his offer, but after he left and I finished my pasta, I typed "how to start getting in shape" into google. I was looking for the basics. I found nerd fitness's article "A Beginner's Guide to Getting in Shape." I thought, "hey, that's me! A beginner!" and clicked the link. What follows next I'm sure you are all familiar with: I read the article, subscribed by email, and went on my first "fitness quest:" a ten minute walk. Me, being the overachiever that I am, made it fifteen minutes and jogged for part of it.

I've done this before. I'm sure a lot of us have. We want to get fit, we start, we mess up somewhere, and give up or just forget about it. I really desperately want this time to be different. I'm sick of hating my body and feeling lethargic all the time. I'm sick of seeing other guys bodies and wishing I could look like them.

Maybe you guessed from the title, but I'll say it now: I'm transgender. I was "born female" but I started transitioning to male when I was 18 or so. (I'm 23 now) I don't know if there are any other transgender members on this site, but I don't want that to hold me back.

Sometimes I feel like being transgender holds me back, in a way. I feel restricted by bodily traits I feel are "female" and like I'll never have the body type I want. It's easy to get stuck in that mentality and I want to break that cycle.

I don't know how I'm going to do it guys! But this post is a start. I hope some of you read it, at least. I could use the help and encouragement.

Thanks,

Will

Gaining muscle and loosing fat will help you get a more masculine shape.

If you don't mind sharing, are you on T? It'll help with the muscles and the trans-guys I've known have started liking their bodies better when the hormones helped tone down the "girly" traits and started sharpening their faces.

You are welcome here. This is a safe place. We even have a LGBTQA specific thread here if you want to come say hi.

Do read the Habit Building and Best Nerdy Articles posts on the Resouces Page because we focus on small changes over the long term here and reading the why will help you with the how.

Best wishes on your journey,

~ Sinnah

Sinnah Saint, half-elf, lvl1 Assassin - STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 1.86 | CON 2.86 | WIS 2 | CHA 1.38 - Personal Blog

First 6-Week Challenge

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I am taking hormones. I've been taking them inconsistently for the past 4 years-ish. So while I've definitely experienced a LOT of physical changes, I have probably not changed as much as I would have, had I been taking my hormones consistently. I have a pretty bad needle phobia, so I'll start my hormones, be consistent for a while, and then get overcome with anxiety and put off my injection for WEEKS. I'm getting better though.

I will definitely check out the LGBT thread. I appreciate it.

• Like 1

I have a pretty bad needle phobia, so I'll start my hormones, be consistent for a while, and then get overcome with anxiety and put off my injection for WEEKS. I'm getting better though.

I understand phobias but consistency is important so try asking your doc about patches, gels, or sublingual tablets. The rollercoaster isn't gonna do you any good.

Couple blog posts to get you started:

Make Optimus Prime Proud

Be like Groot

Beginner's Body Weight Workout

Have a great night.

Sinnah Saint, half-elf, lvl1 Assassin - STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 1.86 | CON 2.86 | WIS 2 | CHA 1.38 - Personal Blog

First 6-Week Challenge