Talvi: I'm learning the old ways

Talvi

Talvi:  I’m learning the old way

Thankfully I haven’t run out of DOTA enchantress quotes for my tenth challenge.   Sorry for joining late, but I’ve only just decided that my summer chillout is over.     It is time to be productive!   

As Salivanth would put it, I’m a cross-guild Shadow Runner with both Assassin (bouldering and bodyweight) and Scout (running) tendencies.   I picked up running almost two years ago thanks to NF and ran my last race (15km) at the start of the summer.    Again thanks to Salivanth’s thread, I read about Hal Higdon’s training programmes and realised that I was already running distances in the training plan of half-marathons (d’uh), but also full-marathons!   It got me thinking, and months later I signed up the next Paris Marathon in April!   ARGH!!!  Twenty weeks targeted training before the marathon seems to be normal, and that means that training gets tough in November.  Until then, I need to dust off my running gear and get used to moving my body again.

Unlock-iPhone.jpgAwesome quest unlocked:  Run the Paris marathon

Current main goal:  By November, be running twice a week and cross-training once a week

It has been a good but lazy summer, but in November I’ll start running thrice a week with longer and longer distances.  So my overarching goal is to get used to regular runs and workouts by amping it up over this challenge.  This is going to be hard because in the past, my training has not been so structured.  I’ve ran whenever I’ve fancied it aka once a week.  Also in all my previous challenges, I’m guilty of strong starts and weak finishes, but here I need to do the opposite.   Cross-training can be anything run-unrelated and I hope to play around with speed training, short runs and long runs.

Side quest 1:  Run with a running group

I need to make running interesting since I'm going to be doing so much of it.   There is a friendly looking running group nearby who I've got my eye on, but I've been putting off meeting them until I can run regularly and comfortably again.  

Side quest 2:   Work on 2015’s epic quest list

I made an epic quest list for 2015 back in January.   I've done some of it, but I need to put in the effort if I want to cross off the rest.  Some things are not even that hard (e.g. perfect mojito) so I plan to work on some part of the list each week. 

Stats available:

+ 7 STA, + 2 STR, + 3 CON & + 3 CHA,

Thanks for reading and good luck with your challenges!

• Like 2

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

C'est Magnifique! That's a great goal to get a good base going before you start training in earnest in November. That's how I used my first 6WC, and it's paying dividends now that I'm training for a half.

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

Wow the paris marathon sounds kick ass, Have you ever run a marathon or half before?

Nope, not yet.   I was going to run a half marathon in the beginning of November, but it clashed with a trip abroad.  Looks like I'll just be doing my own un-official half marathon in my training though.  I should have a look to see if there are any other races I can sign up to for motivation. :)

C'est Magnifique! That's a great goal to get a good base going before you start training in earnest in November. That's how I used my first 6WC, and it's paying dividends now that I'm training for a half.

Thanks!   I really need to get my comfortable base running level back, but it is the willpower aspect that is worrying me.  Getting myself outside the door two/three times a week is going to be hard.   When is your half?  What distance are you at now?

Level 11 Morgana Scout

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

Hi Talvi! I was excited to see that your previous challenge pop back up on my feed and that you are back for this one! I've been reading a training book which essentially says to do exactly as you are: build a strong base and then train to improve those base abilities. It must be exciting to have taken the step to register for the marathon!

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Thanks!   I really need to get my comfortable base running level back, but it is the willpower aspect that is worrying me.  Getting myself outside the door two/three times a week is going to be hard.   When is your half?  What distance are you at now?

My half is mid-January. I started my training at 3 miles four times per week--some of it was run/walk at the very beginning. Now I'm putting in two 3's and two 4's, so 14 per week. I'll hold that and work on speed until early November. That's when I'll really start adding mileage. For me, the willpower sucks too, but once I can get a solid 2-3 weeks under my belt, it becomes routine and I can't imagine not doing it.

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

Talvi's back :) I would say I'm following you, but if you're going over 26 miles then I wouldn't be literally following you for very long :P Are you still doing Spanish and bouldering and python and other Talvi things in the background?

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Hi Talvi! I was excited to see that your previous challenge pop back up on my feed and that you are back for this one! I've been reading a training book which essentially says to do exactly as you are: build a strong base and then train to improve those base abilities. It must be exciting to have taken the step to register for the marathon!

Hey Tinkerer!  Thanks for finding me again.  Is that the alpine book you are reading?  The marathon is a pretty montrous thing looming in the distance right now, and I'm just happy to be fit enough to even consider it!   Two years ago I would have just guffawed and started playing another DOTA match!  

Wow that is so cool sounding!  I read one of Hal's books and liked it a lot.

:D   I have only seen Hal's sneak peek training programmes.  I'll have to have a look into his stuff - which book did you read?

My half is mid-January. I started my training at 3 miles four times per week--some of it was run/walk at the very beginning. Now I'm putting in two 3's and two 4's, so 14 per week. I'll hold that and work on speed until early November. That's when I'll really start adding mileage. For me, the willpower sucks too, but once I can get a solid 2-3 weeks under my belt, it becomes routine and I can't imagine not doing it.

Speed than distance sounds logical to me.    Four times a week is such a solid regular training, well done!  I just need to work on getting my willpower up to Theo level!  Maybe I'll start today since it isn't supposed to rain later...

Talvi's back :) I would say I'm following you, but if you're going over 26 miles then I wouldn't be literally following you for very long :tongue: Are you still doing Spanish and bouldering and python and other Talvi things in the background?

Hello there!   I see you are a cyborg now; all you need to do is upgrade your legs!   Other Talvi-ish things should occur from time to time but work is pretty crazy for the next two weeks and then I'm off to Rome.   In three weeks time, life should return to normal and I can get back to my little projects. Saying that I do intend to speak some Spanish with you soon - maybe this weekend?    I'm excited to start doing some more Python soon since I've signed myself up to a class about Python in data analysis at university and I'm going to code a board game (Agricola) so I can play with a friend in the UK. 

• Like 1

Level 11 Morgana Scout

I read Marathon:  The Ultimate Training Guide Advice, Plans, and Programs for Half and Full Marathons.  Picked it up from our local library.

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

23th September (My week one)

Today I learnt a couple of things: 1) I can't wear my phablet on my skinny arm without looking like a total tool, and  2) Interval running is hard!   I was so easily tired that I may get some good beginner's gains, if I can keep on doing it for a few weeks. I did 4 slow laps and 4 fast laps of the nearest 400m track: 2:10.48, 1:46.00, 2:32.70, 1:45.47, rest, 1:36.20, 2:33.09, 1:48.69, rest & 2:32.38.   Average slow lap is 2:26 and average fast lap is 1:43; difference of 43s.

• Like 2

Level 11 Morgana Scout

Hey Tinkerer!  Thanks for finding me again.  Is that the alpine book you are reading?  The marathon is a pretty montrous thing looming in the distance right now, and I'm just happy to be fit enough to even consider it!   Two years ago I would have just guffawed and started playing another DOTA match! 

23th September (My week one)

Today I learnt a couple of things: 1) I can't wear my phablet on my skinny arm without looking like a total tool, and  2) Interval running is hard!   I was so easily tired that I may get some good beginner's gains, if I can keep on doing it for a few weeks. I did 4 slow laps and 4 fast laps of the nearest 400m track: 2:10.48, 1:46.00, 2:32.70, 1:45.47, rest, 1:36.20, 2:33.09, 1:48.69, rest & 2:32.38.   Average slow lap is 2:26 and average fast lap is 1:43; difference of 43s.

Yes, the alpine training book is the one that I'm referring to. The approach they take is that an alpinist should have a suberb aerobic capacity which allows for day-long exertion. Some of the training seems similar to that you would undertake for a marathon or ultra-race.

Another thing they mention is that training with hill sprints (maybe similar to your intervals) will initially not be a lot faster than "normal" running. This is supposedly because as you practice sprinting you become better at recruiting more of the leg muscles to really propel you forward. Initially though you are only using those same "normal" running muscles. That seems to support the idea that your speed laps would decrease as you get those "beginner gains" for that specific exercise.

• Like 1

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

24th September (My week one)

I chose to do yoga as my not-running exercise this week.  I followed this 37 minute video by Runner's world, which was nice enough.   There looks to be a lot of running videos out there, so I'll experiment a bit whenever I do yoga.  

Oh and the running group I've been stalking has finally decided to do a nicer distance run (12km) at a reasonable hour (11am and not 9am) this weekend.  I'm going to try and go.  The city is going to close all the roads in the centre on Sunday, so it should be quite an epic run :)

• Like 1

Level 11 Morgana Scout

[...] I do intend to speak some Spanish with you soon - maybe this weekend?

Sure, I'm not yet sure of my plans but I'll IM you about when I'm free :)

And yes, what is it with long-distance runners and waking up at some impossible time of morning?! 11am is much nicer.

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

24th September (My week one)

I chose to do yoga as my not-running exercise this week.  I followed this 37 minute video by Runner's world, which was nice enough.   There looks to be a lot of running videos out there, so I'll experiment a bit whenever I do yoga.  

Oh and the running group I've been stalking has finally decided to do a nicer distance run (12km) at a reasonable hour (11am and not 9am) this weekend.  I'm going to try and go.  The city is going to close all the roads in the centre on Sunday, so it should be quite an epic run :)

Love it! Going to try that yoga out tomorrow morning. I've been looking for something exactly like this.

Love it! Going to try that yoga out tomorrow morning. I've been looking for something exactly like this.

Make sure you have room either side of you - I ended up kicking the wall a fair bit :P  

If you find any other good ones then let me know!

Level 11 Morgana Scout

27th September (My week one)

1km to run to a metro station + 12km group run (side quest 1 accomplished).  

I had such a good run today!   No cars were allowed in the centre of Paris today, so we ran from Bastille to the Notre Dame, Champs d'elysee, the Louvre and Opera.   We literally ran past nearly every landmark in the city on a beautiful cloudless day, it was really special!   It was particularly amazing to run down the middle of the Champs d'Elysee - something which is usually reserved for marathon runners.   This was also the first run that I have done with a group.   I found the whole experience really engaging and distracting from the distance, also I really enjoy being part of a running flashmob that must have photobombed about 200+ photos today.  Pretty joyous right now :D

• Like 3

Level 11 Morgana Scout

Gah. I'm so jealous of that run. We who are consigned to run the desert wastelands of suburbia salute you.

Exciting! Signing up for your first marathon. Sounds like a really nice run through Paris too.

Hi Wulf!  It seems pretty menacing at this point in my training, but I'm still really looking forward to it :)

Gah. I'm so jealous of that run. We who are consigned to run the desert wastelands of suburbia salute you.

I'm jealous of past Talvi too! I'm going to have to try and repeat it at some point, but it won't be the same now the cars are back on the road.

Level 11 Morgana Scout

Your run sounds fantastic. Days like that are the kind of thing you remember for a lifetime.

:D

SUMMARY OF MY WEEK ONE

Honestly, I was expecting to build up slowly to 2 runs and a cross-train per week but I went and did it straight away.  Looks like I am going to have to keep it up!   I ran a total of 16.2km (10 miles) this week from an interval session and a long city run, plus I managed to do a runner's yoga video.   So quite successful on the exercise front for my first week.   I also completed my first side-quest by running with a group, and it was fun so I will try and join them for my long runs in the future.   I did not work towards my epic quests this week, even if it was constantly on my to-do list.  Although, I did finally get round to doing an hourlong Spanish speaking practice and I started using my Anki flashcard app daily again, so maybe they count a little.  

• Like 2

Level 11 Morgana Scout

29th September (my week two)

I did a second interval training of 4 slow laps and 4.5 fast laps of a 400m track for a total of 3.4km: <01:41.25 (fumbled with stopwatch), <02:12.57 (fumbled with stopwatch), 01:39.77, 02:47.05, 01:49.84, rest, 02:29.21, 01:36.84, 02:36.15 and 00:49.68 (half lap). Average slow lap is 2:31 and average fast lap is 1:41.3; difference of 50s.

• Like 1

Level 11 Morgana Scout