Talvi: I'm learning the old ways

Talvi

Wow, that was a surprise - cheers!!!  

This was the icing on such an awesome day :D  In chronological order : I got a dragon on habitica, submitted my first scientific publication, was gifted a plushie white blood cell and some jelly beans, went to an afterwork party and got this 'scout of the week' - thanks so much!  I feel like I have to continue earning it for the rest of the challenge!

• Like 4

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

1st October (my week two)

For a crosstrain activity this week, I did three rounds of the BBWW (beginner's bodyweight workout):

• 20 squats
  • 10 pushups (5,3,2 | 5,3,2 | 3,3,3,1)
  • 20 lunges
  • 10 dumbbell rows on each arm (bar + 2kg)
  • 15-30 second plank
  • 30 jumping jacks

It has been a long time since I did a whole bodyweight workout and it has made them tougher.  The pushups were the hardest.

Level 11 Morgana Scout

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

m7fRJIrbqH21b5j5IrubZeg.jpg

Aww... we had some gonorrhea going round our office... in plush form, luckily ;p

Good job with the bodyweight workout, mixing it up!

• Like 2

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

2nd October (my week two)

Such doms, much pain, so stiff!  

45212947.jpg

But I really wanted to do complete my goal of 2 runs + 1 crosstrain per week by doing my last run.   I packed my running gear this morning and I ran back from work.   I took the long way back with an extra 3.5kg rucksack on my bag; it was 6.7km with more hills than I'm used to.  I ran through a park that I usually bypass and I discovered an entire entertainment/conference/cultural centre in the middle of it - who knew!   I need to go back there soon and investigate.

Also the last time, I ran that route was a year ago and I received some friendly encouragement from a passing cyclist when I got to the top of the hill.   The hill feels so much easier now and my resistance endurance is just so much better, that I don't think I'll look deserving of such encouragement ever again :tongue:

Oh and I have worked towards on second side-quest!   I sat down and figured out my financial situation yesterday and I submitted that scientific publication the other day - so two epic quests have been ticked off!  I'm going to celebrate with a mojito (and may have to cross a third quest if it perfect)!!

• Like 5

Level 11 Morgana Scout

How was the mojito?

Also, I'm curious how you motivate yourself to do the interval training? I'm always excited to do it, in theory, but when it comes time to run I want to just put my headphones in and head out at a steady pace...

Sadly, I didn't make one then but I have come up with an idea for an idea for my very own specialty mojito. I have recently discovered that mint and pineapple go very well together so I'll going to experiment with my mojitos from now on.

Interval running is new and exciting for me since I've only done it twice. I think my motivation so far is data collection (to see improvements), the fact that is quicker than other runs (even if it is more intense), that is doesn't require any planning or navigation (on a track) and again that it is so shiny and new :)

END OF MY WEEK TWO

Similar to week one, I managed to fit in both runs (10.1km) and a bbww. Worked towards my epic quest list this week too, so I'm on track for all my goals.

• Like 2

Level 11 Morgana Scout

SUMMARY OF MY WEEK THREE

Absolutely fantastic since I went on holiday to Rome and I still managed to keep up with this challenge!  In fact, I'm a convert to "tourist running".  You see so much awesome stuff when you run in a completely new place and it is especially exciting when you can plan your route around famous landmarks :D

1st Run9.2km with my boyfriend into the Parco della Caffarella.  I really enjoyed the company and there were loads of little long-lost gems such as the Nymphadium of Egeria.  It was also nice to try track running rather than road running for once.

8692737959_4540cb685e_b.jpg

2nd Run: 7.3km on a sightseeing route to the Circus Maximus, the Bocca di Veritas and the Colluseum.  It was road running and tourist dodging for the most part, but I had a funny moment when I ran down the centre the Circus Maximus and a group of German tourists clapped when I ran past - almost felt like a proper athlete :P

Crosstrain: No yoga or BBWW this week, but I walked over 70km during the holiday and that is more than enough for a cross-training session.  Spending today (Sunday) resting my poor feet!

Work towards epic quests:  Admittedly, I was busy with my holiday.   However, the holiday itself counted towards an adventure (my travel goal) and all the museums were very inspiring towards my artistic goals (my mental goals).

• Like 3

Level 11 Morgana Scout

That picture is great: so many colors! Is that an old chapel of some sort that has been overgrown?

Congrats on your first applause from spectators! It sounds like you guys had a really fun trip. Any "must see" sights you'd pass along?

It was the nymphaeum!  A sort of grotto that the Romans liked to build around springs and to dedicate to Nymphs.

The holiday was really good, thanks.  The obvious "must see" is St Peters Basilica and it really is spectacular.  I really enjoyed an art museum called Villa Borghese where each room is covered ceiling to floor with classical mythological themed art from the last 200 years and it was truly beautiful.   Otherwise, I would just recommend wandering around the streets and entering any churches you see, because there are 900 of them in the city and I got the impression that they were all immense and richly decorated.:)

Level 11 Morgana Scout

13th October 2015 (my week four)

Today was pretty fun.  I played Pandemic (a cooperative board game) at the end of the workday with a colleague, and we won!  I had packed my running things when I left in the morning, expecting a run home on the shortest route.   I was feeling pretty good though, so I tried a completely new route.  I ran to Bastille and then along the Coulée verte René Dumont.  The Coulée used to be a train track that ran through Eastern Paris, but the 3km length of it has now been converted into a pedestrian walkway and garden.  It was a lovely route and much nicer than my other long route home, which is partly smogged up.  Up until now I've been using google mappedometer to calculate distances and it calculated 9.5km for this route.  It is limited by only really working on roads.  I downloaded runkeeper and it calculated a distance of 10.29km.  I suppose both methods have error margins and it shouldn't matter too much which one I use as long as I am consistent.   I love the data from runkeeper though!   10.29km in 1:03:36 at an average 6:11min/km and fastest split 5:16min/km.

• Like 1

Level 11 Morgana Scout

I love the data from runkeeper though!   10.29km in 1:03:36 at an average 6:11min/km and fastest split 5:16min/km.

The data from the running apps are a lot of fun to track. Once you have a significant number looking at the stats over time is very enjoyable also.

• Like 2

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

17th October 2015 (my week four)

It is crosstrain day!  This week, I didn't feel like a very intensive workout so I tried another yoga routine for runners.   I chose this one because it was the first video youtube suggested.   This video was not intensive at all, it is mostly slow and gentle stretches.   After 20 minutes, I didn't feel like I had done much so I did the first 11 minutes of the Runner's World workout that I did last time.   All limbered up now!

18th October 2015 (my week four)

I ran to work and back: 2 x 4.24 = 8.48km (google map pedometer)

I didn't track the run completely, but what I did track was 7.66km in 47:30 minutes with an average of 6:12min/km.  Fastest split of 5:24 minutes.

• Like 1

Level 11 Morgana Scout

How is the final week going for you? (Or are you going all the way through until the next challenge!?)

Today was pretty fun.  I played Pandemic (a cooperative board game) at the end of the workday with a colleague, and we won!

Did you enjoy Pandemic? Both my wife and I enjoy playing board games but I don't always enjoy playing competitive games when it is just the two of us. It seems like a cooperative game might be a good idea.

tinkerer

How is the final week going for you? (Or are you going all the way through until the next challenge!?)

Did you enjoy Pandemic? Both my wife and I enjoy playing board games but I don't always enjoy playing competitive games when it is just the two of us. It seems like a cooperative game might be a good idea.

The challenge took a hit this last week, although it isn't a big loss since I am content with my productivity.  After coming back the Italian holiday, I was raring to go at work and I worked later than usual at the start of the week.  Also, the parents-in-law were visiting nearly every evening, which was fairly distracting from my normal routine. Oh and then I had a weekend away with my sister.   So much stuff!     I shall try to keep it up for this next week.

I do like Pandemic.   It can be notoriously difficult, which is especially bizarre since you aren't losing to a thinking opponent.   It is an escalating catastrophe that you have to try and control in sequential turns by you and your team-mates.  Everyone has a different role to play with unique actions.  It isn't too difficult to learn either for new players.   There are also expansions to it, e.g. new roles, a bio terrorist element, etc, but I haven't tried any of those yet.   I have just got back from the London Comic-Con and there I discovered "Pandemic part 1", which is like the base game except that there is more of a narrative to it.  There are 12 or so matches that you play, but the outcomes of your previous matches will affect how the future games are played, e.g. you fail to protect a city in a previous game so it becomes harder to treat because they trust you less in the future.   I just thought that was a really cool way to keep the game fresh and new if you are always going to play with the same person or small group - a game every week or two and build a better gaming experience.   I was very tempted but instead I went with a couple of short bluffing card games "Love Letter" and "Coup".  Maybe next time :)

23rd October 2015 (my week five)

Between work, the in-laws and my weekend away to visit London Comic-Con and Harry Potter Studios - I didn't manage to get a second run or a crosstrain session into this week.   At least, the visit from my in-laws did allow my to tick off one of my epic quests "Be able to speak to boyfriend’s Spanish mother in actual sentences"!   I was able to be an active participant in conversations and I felt really at ease.  I'm super happy with this achievement, since I was just an awkward mute when I went to visit them last Christmas. 

The one run that I did do was another fun tourist jog!   Runkeeper is awesome and tells me that I ran 13.68km in 2 hours 33:30.  I was super slow because I couldn't stop myself from standing around gawking at things!  Despite the fact that London is my native capital, I had never seen the "big" monuments before.  I jogged from the Northern train stations down to the Thames and across the bridge to Waterloo.  I then navigated the riverfront towards Big Ben and found myself underneath the London Eye.  I just about got to the house of parliament in time to see Ben strike 6pm.   Then I ran through a park towards Buckingham palace, and then found a similarly speedy runner to follow into Hyde Park.  From there I headed East and walked through the impressively long and lively Oxford Street and Circus.

I am loving the tourist runs I am doing.  I think this might turn into a lifelong pursuit and collection!

• Like 2

Level 11 Morgana Scout

It all sounds so interesting and fun!  I love the idea of tourist runs.  What a way to get a feel for an area and see so much.  Plus it is just cool to say you were there and did a running tour.  Not something many can say.

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

It really sounds as though you've had a great 5 weeks! I can't even imagine how great it must feel to be able to converse with your in-laws...even more so having not been able to do so on previous occasions. Did they know that you were working on Spanish or was it a surprise for them? And I agree: tourist runs sound amazing!

tinkerer

It all sounds so interesting and fun!  I love the idea of tourist runs.  What a way to get a feel for an area and see so much.  Plus it is just cool to say you were there and did a running tour.  Not something many can say.

It is!   And ditto of getting a feel for a place - I get a much better view of the city as a whole as well as just the monuments :D

It really sounds as though you've had a great 5 weeks! I can't even imagine how great it must feel to be able to converse with your in-laws...even more so having not been able to do so on previous occasions. Did they know that you were working on Spanish or was it a surprise for them? And I agree: tourist runs sound amazing!

The time has flown by, although I'm having some difficulty this week getting out for my runs.  I haven't adapted to the winter darkness at 6pm yet and it is really discouraging me from running.  The first obstacle to my marathon, I suppose.   

It was such a great feeling to finally be able to do it.  I knew they were great people before because they have always been so patient with me, but I feel much happier that I can understand them, tell stories, laugh with them and even just introduce myself.    I feel less like an intruder in their family now.    I was hoping to have it as a surprise for Christmas, but my boyfriend has been telling his mum how well I was doing since last January... so that kind of spoiled the surprise... :tongue:

• Like 2

Level 11 Morgana Scout

Haha, in some of the places I've been to (Thailand, Morocco) where the taxi drivers tout tourists with obsessive enthusiasm I think if I tried doing tourist runs there I'd soon have a whole fleet of taxis chasing after me asking me where I'm going and that I need to accept a ride :P

Are you going to join in with the next challenge?

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Haha, in some of the places I've been to (Thailand, Morocco) where the taxi drivers tout tourists with obsessive enthusiasm I think if I tried doing tourist runs there I'd soon have a whole fleet of taxis chasing after me asking me where I'm going and that I need to accept a ride :tongue:

Are you going to join in with the next challenge?

Yeah, I don't think I would be overly enthusiastic about running under those conditions!  I'll keep it in mind for whenever I visit.

And yes, I will be doing the next challenge as a scout - just writing it out now :)

30th and 31st October 2015 (my week six)

On the Friday, I did the same 35 minute Runner's World yoga session as the last few times.  So crosstrain done!

On the Saturday, I have done a long run of 14.62km in about 1hr 30 minutes.   I was very suspicious of my runkeeper app today as it appears to have made up several stats, so I won't pay attention to it right now.    Glad I finally did a long run this week, but I feel so shattered now!

Level 11 Morgana Scout