IamDoll 1st challenge

IamDoll

You know that heart racing in your throat omgwhy feeling? That is the overall theme here...

Also hi my name is Doll, this is scary!

Once upon a time 3 years ago, I was super paleo with benefits (so many faux "but it's healthy!" desserts...) for about 2 years ish. I walked a lot and lifted a little. That is the extent of anything even resembling healthy. I have struggled with a variety of eating disorders since I was eleven, but even before then my food model wasn't very good (S.A.D plus extremely regulated in a bad way). The point is my weight fluctuates drastically frequently, I suck at stress, and I need to learn how to eat and be healthy.

I know I'm a week late for the start of this current challenge but the faq said better late than never.

Main Quest: Lose 20ibs by my birthday, January 8th

Side Quest 1: Paleo whole 30

- Despite lying to myself about faux desserts, I actually really loved paleo. I've had lasting positive effects even though it was a couple years ago (always remained gluten free, no soy, very rarely corn, rare potatoes, rare beans). But I need to give it a proper go and learn how to eat. So here we go!

(A= 30 days, B= 25+, C= 20+ | A +3con, B +2con, C +1con)

Side quest 2: Paleo 80/20

- As mentioned, I am going to eat this way permanently again. For something to be successful it needs to be realistic for my situation. I do use dairy occasionally with no adverse effects, plus when I go on a date with my hubby you bet your buns I want to split a shake! That being said I can justify cocaine if I try hard enough, so some ground rules are in place: I define my 80/20 80= paleo, 20=holidays, special occasions, dates, family get togethers gluten free/relaxed, and the tiny bit of cream I take in my coffee.

(A= as stated, B= Excessive dairy, C= lying to myself about what "special occasion" means | A +3 con, B +2 con, C +1 con)

Side quest 3: 10+ min walk everyday

- Pretty straight forward. Anyone can scrounge 10mins, and making it daily gets me in the exercise habit. I actually use to really love walking and hiking, sometimes catching "the bug" where I walked for like 4miles multiple times a day just cause I liked it. Also, it is easy to fit into like shopping or w/e.

(A= as stated, B= missed 7 days total, C= missed 14 days total | A +3 sta, +1str, B +2 sta, +1str, C +1sta)

Motivation:

1. I want to be a good example for my sisters and future children

2. To optimally manage my mental health

3. I want a healthy relationship with food

4. I want to be more comfortable in my skin

5. To be able to better participate in walks, hikes, and other outdoorsy things I once enjoyed

6. To to be able to be pregnant safely and have the energy to play with my child (disclaimer: I have jacked up ankles and very literally weak core muscles that don't even activate properly when exercised, so if I got pregnant while being overweight I likely could render myself immobile)

7. I want to be able to protect myself (maybe rejoin the dojo -sad sigh-)

8. To better my chances at having a long and healthy life with my loved ones

9. My husband

10. Myself

Umm, I suppose my current stats should go next...

Doll, female, age 23

220ibs sept 20, 2015

5'3"

Waist:35"

Hips:45"

Arms:14"

Thighs:27"

Calves:17.5"

I'm not shy, just nervous because socializing is just not something I do... Sucks the energy out of me! I saw others talking about what sort of nerd they are. My husband says I'm a jack of all trades nerd because I like a little bit of everything but I'd call me a DIY nerd. I never leave without yarn in my purse. I can talk about fallout for hours (PS I avg 800hrs per session..... :D) , love anime (my spirit animal is Louis Armstrong), Junji Ito mangas, metal bands I can never talk about with anyone cause they've never heard of them :c, and getting up to DIY antics.

Okay that's it. It took me like three days to figure out how to properly join NF, now I cross my fingers hoping I have done this right and figure out what is next...!

♡

• Like 3

Doll | Gargoyle | Ranger | lvl 7th
STR 17, STA 8, CON 14, DEX 2, CHA 7, WIS 4
1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | Current | B L

Main Storyline: Drop 55lbs 06/55lbs

10.9%
4.4%

Great goals. There's nothing wrong with starting a week late. It's better to start late than not at all.

Thank you! It was a little confusing for me to figure out what to use for a main quest as I really ultimately want to lose a LOT more than 20ibs, and of course develop a healthy relationship with food. :)

But I thought for a small goal, it wasn't too terrible.

♡

• Like 2

10.9%
4.4%

I feel you on the desserts. One of the main reasons I like Keto so much more than Paleo is keto is totally cool with, maybe even all about, making desserts that are protein and fat filled yet taste sweet through the use of no cal sweeteners. Also, Keto lets you go all in on dairy, and I just can't live without cheese, heh.

I have an ultimate goal of losing a total of around 90 pounds right now, but breaking it up into 10-20 pound chunks makes it sound so much more manageable, and gives me more milestones to reward myself with! We can do it!

• Like 1

Maeghaan | Assassin

EQ Level 2 | NF Level 4

I started a blog: The Cognitive Itch
"Even in these chains, you can't stop me"

Weight loss goal: Drop from 247 to 160

36%
36%

I feel you on the desserts. One of the main reasons I like Keto so much more than Paleo is keto is totally cool with, maybe even all about, making desserts that are protein and fat filled yet taste sweet through the use of no cal sweeteners. Also, Keto lets you go all in on dairy, and I just can't live without cheese, heh.

I have an ultimate goal of losing a total of around 90 pounds right now, but breaking it up into 10-20 pound chunks makes it sound so much more manageable, and gives me more milestones to reward myself with! We can do it!

I have perused keto but really don't think I could manage it (not that I know much about it). Paleo was actually pretty great for me the first year. It was the second where I got a little... naughty. >u
  • Like 1

10.9%
4.4%

Welcome to the fun!

I don't know if you have ​had time to look around, but are there any of the guild's interest you?

Thank you! I've been eyeballing the Ranger guild. I'm honestly not sure where I reside though. I think of the things I like and have done, and it is a tie between ranger and monk. Hiking, adventurous walks, and geocaching use to be like my favourite things. Then I took kyokushin kai style karate for a year and a half+ but was let go because of my disabilities. I really couldn't give it the focus it requires, but I loved it so much and had a weird aptitude for it despite basically being a living noodle.

But then I wonder where contortionist would fall because I'm also extremely flexible and am certainly curious about giving that a go...

Rambling aside, I think I'm going to start with ranger because they are all about the kind of health I need (and enjoy) to acquire in order to try other things. :) plus having any sort of muscle would be neat. ♡

• Like 1

10.9%
4.4%

Contortionist would fall under Assassins I think. It's hard to find anybody who falls entirely into one guild. I got some of all of them in me. Rangers are the way to go if you're like that. Do a bit of everything and you fit right in.

Oh! How neat. Parkour sounds fun too (a bit out of reach though...) but I have always always always wanted to try being a contortionist. I mean I was born super bendy, might as well use it right?

Ranger really seems like the right path, at least to begin with. Who knows, maybe I'll end up a morangass! O: !What has your experience with them been like? The recruit 2nd mini challenge has me queezy... it is finding accountabilibuddies... -dies- I don't even know how to start. ;n;

• Like 1

10.9%
4.4%

Here you can post your answers for the first mini challenge or you can post a link here if you want to answer them in your thread.

Week 1 - Let's Get SMART

So you've set up your challenge and people have popped in and said hi, given you some advise on your goals and just generally cheered you on for the start of your challenge. There's so much information to go that sometimes it seems like you're being overwhelmed. How do I allocate attribute points? Which guild do I join? What should my workout look like? Can I join an Accountability Squad?

You don't need to worry about these things right now. What you do need to worry is your challenge. For this first week you should be focusing on your own quests. Once you're comfortable with them you can move onto other questions. Your mini quest this week will to really really look at your goals and make sure that they're SMART.

S = SpecificM = MeasurableA = Attainable/AchievableR = Realistic/ReasonableT = TimeousHere are some questions to put your goals to the test:
  • Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)? Is it reasonable?
  • Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on?
  • Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them?
  • Are your goals able to be measured and tracked? What will you use to track them?
  • How are you grading your goals? Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)? Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€?
  • What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured?
  • Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge? What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those?
  • Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another?
  • Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set? If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them?
  • Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest?
Your mini quest: Make sure your goals are definitely SMART.

For completing this mini quest you will receive an additional +1WIS at the end of the 6 weeks.

1. Yes! And double yes thanks to the approval of others

2. Yes. I am even excited about them and feeling better already!

3. Yes and I consider it a small step to my ultimate goal of drop kicking 90ibs right in the breeches

4. Yes, I'm tracking with pix, measurements, logs, and the scale

5. Rewards are attribute points and bragging to my friends and family! I have written down how the grades are determined in my original post

6. Well the diet portion doesn't change. That's how I'm eating, the end. As for the walking, if I'm actually so sick I can't, then I won't. Like, can't help that, just get back to it once you can. If injury, it better be my legs cause otherwise no excuse.

7. Oh yeah, I went into that in my side quest. 80/20 paleo allows for that wiggle room, but I've kept it conditional so it doesn't get out of hand

8. I have one main goal since this is my first challenge, but it all leads up to my ultimate goal

9. Yes

10. A bit of both. I want multiple habits, but my main comes first and helps unlock the paths which lead to the bonus levels. Such as contortionism c: ☆♡☆

• Like 1

10.9%
4.4%

Oh! How neat. Parkour sounds fun too (a bit out of reach though...) but I have always always always wanted to try being a contortionist. I mean I was born super bendy, might as well use it right?

Ranger really seems like the right path, at least to begin with. Who knows, maybe I'll end up a morangass! O: !What has your experience with them been like? The recruit 2nd mini challenge has me queezy... it is finding accountabilibuddies... -dies- I don't even know how to start. ;n;

Parkour is awesome! You can scale some parkour down if you're not in good enough shape at the moment. I'm not an expert but you can ask around if you like.

My experiences with the Rangers have been pretty good. I'm doing my second challenge with them right now and they're a really supportive group. I can't recommend joining up with them enough. Also if you like RPGs the mini quests rock. I'm not much of a salesman but trust me Rangers are awesome, especially if you're ADD about fitness lke I am.

The week two mini. That's a fun one. Accountabilibuddies can be either a dedicated group or simply some people who follow your thread and who's thread you follow. To start you can either checkout the sub forum for groups on this website or look around at others challenges and find some people who seem like your kind of crazy to hangout with. If you decide to follow people just drop a message on their thread so that they know you're there. Encourage them to meet their goals and help out if you can.

• Like 1

It's a great goal. Enough weight to lose that it's a challenge but not so much that it's unattainable.

This.

I also feel your pain about metal bands. I have one friend though who is a metal encyclopedia.

• Like 1

OCEAN RANGER

Current Challenge

YOUTUBE ADVENTURES

2 X IRONMAN, 3 X half IRONMAN, 3 X GORUCK Challenge, 2 X GORUCK back to back, Way too many GORUCK lights

This.

I also feel your pain about metal bands. I have one friend though who is a metal encyclopedia.

Has your encyclopedia friend heard of Zonaria or Arkona? Cause I would love to fangirl with them ;u;

Thanks for the shorthand encouragement. Lost my first ib today so that's keen. ♡

10.9%
4.4%

I can relate to a lot in your back story actually - unhealthy relationship with food, stress eating, yoyo weight, lying to myself about "healthy" desserts etc. You've got great, attainable goals, and like you say, better late than never.

Welcome aboard! :D

• Like 1

Kilyra|Level 4|Gorgon|Adventurer

Stats: STR 5 | STA 10 | DEX 8 | CON 8 | WIS 9 | CHA 6

"If all I do is try, that means I don't truly believe I can succeed. Look, I may fail. You may fail. But there is no try" ~Kanan Jarrus, Star Wars: Rebels

Introduction|Challenge|The Writer's Guild|Battle Log

Spoiler

Eating 90/10 (2 of 4)

50%
50%

Workout at least 4x a week (8 of 16)

50%
50%

Hollow Body Work 3x a week (6 of 12)

50%
50%

Life Goal: Write 3.5 hrs a week (1 of 4)

25%
25%

I can relate to a lot in your back story actually - unhealthy relationship with food, stress eating, yoyo weight, lying to myself about "healthy" desserts etc. You've got great, attainable goals, and like you say, better late than never.

Welcome aboard! :D

Aww yay! I mean, I wouldn't wish a bad food relationship on you, but having someone to relate to is nice. ♡
  • Like 1

10.9%
4.4%

I've listened to Arkona before in a mix. I had to look up Zonaria, he likely knows them since death metal is his favorite.

YES! Omg this is exciting! Arkona is my very favourite, and I walked down the aisle at my wedding to Black Omen by Zonaria. Haha!

10.9%
4.4%

Parkour is awesome! You can scale some parkour down if you're not in good enough shape at the moment. I'm not an expert but you can ask around if you like.

My experiences with the Rangers have been pretty good. I'm doing my second challenge with them right now and they're a really supportive group. I can't recommend joining up with them enough. Also if you like RPGs the mini quests rock. I'm not much of a salesman but trust me Rangers are awesome, especially if you're ADD about fitness lke I am.

The week two mini. That's a fun one. Accountabilibuddies can be either a dedicated group or simply some people who follow your thread and who's thread you follow. To start you can either checkout the sub forum for groups on this website or look around at others challenges and find some people who seem like your kind of crazy to hangout with. If you decide to follow people just drop a message on their thread so that they know you're there. Encourage them to meet their goals and help out if you can.

You have been really helpful, would it count if I followed you? c: I read the beginner parkour article which was good, but I think I'll keep my focus on ranger and relevant goals. I have to build up my fitness level before I can even think of other activities.

10.9%
4.4%

Aww yay! I mean, I wouldn't wish a bad food relationship on you, but having someone to relate to is nice. ♡

Agreed! And Yay for you working on your bad food relationship so early! (waving pom poms back) ;)

• Like 1

Kilyra|Level 4|Gorgon|Adventurer

Stats: STR 5 | STA 10 | DEX 8 | CON 8 | WIS 9 | CHA 6

"If all I do is try, that means I don't truly believe I can succeed. Look, I may fail. You may fail. But there is no try" ~Kanan Jarrus, Star Wars: Rebels

Introduction|Challenge|The Writer's Guild|Battle Log

Spoiler

Eating 90/10 (2 of 4)

50%
50%

Workout at least 4x a week (8 of 16)

50%
50%

Hollow Body Work 3x a week (6 of 12)

50%
50%

Life Goal: Write 3.5 hrs a week (1 of 4)

25%
25%

Your dojo let you got for having disabilities?   Maybe find a different one?  Most places will work with you.

Looks like you'll be pretty happy with the Rangers, but you're also quite welcome to drop by the Monks if you'd like to chart martial arts :-)

There is a bit more to it then that, but it really did break my heart. I don't want to make it sound like they were a bunch of monsters, because they are not. But if I'm being honest (I'm getting upset thinking about it), that in summary was why. It was like they couldn't believe any one person could have such a slew of physical problems and disabilities. When I tried to explain I was told it was just excuse making.

That is where it hurts. I'm born this way, don't fault me for it.

The idea of finding another dojo feels like cheating. I have such a respect for my old Sensei and that dojo. Plus the challenge of finding one that isn't just another "mcdojo".

Blah :c

10.9%
4.4%

Agreed! And Yay for you working on your bad food relationship so early! (waving pom poms back) ;)

Well after gaining over 100 in less than a year, developing a slew of disordered eating habits and full blown EDNOS, losing that 100 in very bad ways very quickly, aaand gaining 30 back, struggling with the same 30 for two years (my liar cheater paleo years lol), aaand then gaining another 50 4mo before my wedding (a year and a half ago..there is way more to this mess if you can believe it)...err where was I?

Oh... well I decided 'eff this' and here we are. Time to learn how to eat. (My summaries are a lie, lol) @u@;;

• Like 1

10.9%
4.4%

You have been really helpful, would it count if I followed you? c: I read the beginner parkour article which was good, but I think I'll keep my focus on ranger and relevant goals. I have to build up my fitness level before I can even think of other activities.

Glad to help. You can follow who ever you like. I'd be happy to have your support.

The idea of finding another dojo feels like cheating. I have such a respect for my old Sensei and that dojo. Plus the challenge of finding one that isn't just another "mcdojo".

Blah :c

yeah, but if you aren't going there, because some people are treating you bad... Just saying.

I hope you find a solution for this one. And hey perhaps it can be fun to try different martial arts while trying out different dojos. Reading through the other challenges I found out that there seem to be some dojos who let you have a trial session. Good luck!

• Like 2

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!