Intro

Hey guys and girls,

I'm marshwah, and only stumbled onto this site today after reading PloBlogger's 20 Blogger's to Watch.

I'm a 28 year old Australian living in Singapore, love the life I lead but realised I really want to do something about my health sitting at 110kgs.

Besides being active on the web, I enjoy writing, electronic dance music, playing my Xbox360, and travelling.

The latter is a recent pick-up after leaving my homeland for the first-time last year.

Fitness Attempts

I was formerly fit, and then around the age of 22 hit a slope and have not been able to reverse it.

About a year ago, I laid down a bet of $200 on a forum with a friend trying to guilt myself into losing weight. I made great progress and then got a Playstation 3.

I tried giving it another go, this time on Google+ and given that I have two and a half months left, I was resigned to losing the bet. I'm happy to pay up, but would like to give this fitness thing a proper go after reading NF and liking its style.

What I Like to Do

I tend to go for exercises that don't rely on equipment, I've joined a gym next to work that opens in February, but am keen to get started now. I read about the Angry Birds Workout and am keen to give that a go. And am reading up on the Paleo Diet now and am keen to try that too.

What's Changed?

I've been on a blogger-binge since the New Year kicked in and this was one of the few that really resonated with me regarding fitness. I've felt inspired from the 4-5 articles I've read and have been looking for a supportive community to engage with for quite a while. I think I've found it! I'll be foraging in and around the forums over the next few days and trying to make myself at home.

Cheers,

Marshwah

I noticed you were a blogger immediately. The bold titles, the organized words and paragraphs... your neatly titled sections. Haha. *drool*

Oops... anyway, glad to have you! Welcome to the rebellion! Sounds like you found a good workout and a great diet. I have been paleo for 6 months myself, with great results. I love bodyweight workouts as well, but never tried the Angry Birds workout. Both of those articles are great!

But... at this point, if you are still 96kg, it's gonna be near impossible to meet that goal. Might even say unhealthy to lose weight that fast for that long also.

Anyway, welcome to the rebellion!

Thanks Loren, yeah I've given up on winning the bet as it's not in my body's best interest to lose that amount of weight, but I would like to kickstart this for the new year and give it a decent start.

I'm still churning through articles at work and have bookmarked a list to start on tonight, there's so much information just on this site alone but I'm glad to have found a niche I can identify with!

Thanks Loren, yeah I've given up on winning the bet as it's not in my body's best interest to lose that amount of weight, but I would like to kickstart this for the new year and give it a decent start.

I'm still churning through articles at work and have bookmarked a list to start on tonight, there's so much information just on this site alone but I'm glad to have found a niche I can identify with!

Yeah dude, you have no idea how far the rabbit hole goes...

Also, I forgot to mention I am a huge Starcraft fan (my one and only video game these days).

Let me know if you're looking for something in particular, paleo or otherwise. There's a ton of information here, as you said. :)

Thanks!

Well I've read through:

Rules of the Rebellion

A Beginner’s Guide to Healthy Eating

The Angry Birds Workout Plan

The Beginner’s Guide to the Paleo Diet

Am considering the Rebel Running Guide too, but am going to see what I can imbibe from the rest of the site too.

I'm intrigued by the paleo but it sounds next to impossible in Asia where noodles are the staple. But the whole point of this site is to show what's possible right? And I guess from a fitness perspective anything that doesn't involve gymming (to begin with, waiting for my gym to finish being built) would be helpful if there's any pointers you would like to share.

I think you should look into convict conditioning. i know Loren will back me on this. It's all body weight exercises and can be done at home.

I think I looked into this one when I was assessing non-gym workouts, is there a guide you recommend? I found some of them to be pretty hardcore, when what I would be after is a beginner's guide to convict conditioning!

Good to meet you Marshwah, just a heads up about the Angry Birds Workout. My wife and I have each given a stab at it. I have found that if I wake up 20 minutes earlier than I usually do, the Angry Birds Workout is a fun and relaxing way to get my day jump-started. It isn't the most serious workout out there but it is lighthearted and gets you moving early. As far as games go, Skyrim is trying to derail my fitness plans. I may need to incorporate some sort of push-up regimen every time I die in game.

I think I looked into this one when I was assessing non-gym workouts, is there a guide you recommend? I found some of them to be pretty hardcore, when what I would be after is a beginner's guide to convict conditioning!

Honestly, the whole book is a beginners guide. The easiest exercise is a wall push-up. It starts from super easy and gets gradually harder as you get stronger. Super intuitive.

@ Loren - I was reading the other comments and saw your post about convict conditioning. Just looked it up for myself, since I'm more into the body weight workouts too, and that book looks super helpful. And awesome. Thanks for the tip! :)

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle

If you have the inspiration, you have the talent. Strive to be happy. :)