Logs of a wanna-be Police officer.

So, as I said in my introduction (found here) I work part-time as a Loss Prevention Officer. What that means is that I'm licensed by the Province of Alberta to carry handcuffs and work as a security official in plain clothes. Basically, I'm like an undercover cop without any cop powers, weapons, or cool nicknames.

But I do get to arrest people, provided I can watch them commit the crime from start to finish, and catch them afterwards without getting myself killed.

Hence, I figured I probably should do something about my lack of running endurance, increase my strength a bit so people comply (amazing what nice pecs will do for that), and overall just become better prepared so I don't risk my safety or others safety as much.

The plan I'm going with right now is still in the works. I have a talk with a personal trainer coming up, and we will work out a plan that will progress me over this next year. After a year and a half, I will be applying for the Edmonton City Police department, which has very high requirement for officer fitness. By that time, I will be finished my degree, have about 2 years of security/loss prevention experience, and in amazing good shape.

I will be keeping the food logs separate, as time is off the essence with posting. I need to keep the actual logs after this very short, so it will cover only my daily workouts. I am starting with 3 days a week, and moving towards 5. The goal is to build a habit of short workouts done consistently every day.

The point right now is to make the gym a part of my life, not kill myself. Therefore, the focus is on flexibility, starting cardio endurance, and major lifts with a good degree of fun thrown in the middle.

I'll edit this post later with details of the actual plan once it is finished.

"You can do it. I believe in you."

Logs: (insert here)

Challenge: (n/a until next starts)

Warmup:

10 minutes treadmill (4 running 6.2, 6 walking 3.4)

15 minutes stretching

Lifts: (excluding warmup sets)

Squat 135lbs 3x5 

not much time today, was with a friend who has wrist problems and was more focussed on figuring out exercises he could do without hurting self.

• Like 1

Today, after a long week of midterms, I took a decent long nap, then did 20 minutes exercise involving

2 minutes on the spot running

50 jumping jacks

30 seconds plank x2

10 situps

10 pushups, 20 pushups

15 prisoner squats (tense still from wednesday)

10 Bicep curls w. backpack of textbooks

10 lying tricep extensions with backpack of textbooks

10 standing tricep extensions with b...

6 minutes of stretching

I plan on hitting gym in the morning before some assignments and work. This was kinda a wake up routine... and it worked well. I felt great for the next 5 hours. It also is just enough to make me start to sweat.

Well, left way too late for the gym... probably due to not going to sleep till 1:45am. Sleep schedule is total shitalki mushroom sauce atm.

But did get to the gym for grand total of 27 minutes. Total workout was pretty low tho.

7 minutes run/walk to warm up.

6 minutes stretching

Bench press 5x5 135lbs + warmup sets.

I'm not going to be too hard on myself. I do get 22 minutes of walking to get to the gym, so I am not completely inactive. I was hoping to get more done tho. 

Hey, at least at work today I had to sprint for a theft. Guess that might as well make the log. So good times there.

Planning to go again tomorrow morning. I need to hit some squats, some pull ups/back workout in general, etc.

As far as formal plan to follow, the trainer I've been meaning to talk to hasn't been around. He's my friends boyfriend, so bit hard to get ahold of. I may just say fudge it and design my own based of one of the academy workouts.

So been busy. Have a few workouts to plot here. Been to gym 2 times in past week

10 minutes warmup (4.5 running 5.5 walking), (5.5 running 4.5 walking)

10 minutes stretching

Squats 5x5 (145lbs monday, 135lbs Thursday) - Weighted down due to feeling physical exhaustion.

17 slow sit ups- (5second up, 5 second down -Thursday)

The goal is to get to 10 minute run to warm up. My aerobic ability is slowly going up. The habit is building in, I feel good going to the gym consistently, it's becoming less of a chore and more just that thing I do in my day... So yay!

As far as the end goal, its still not there. However, I've reframed towards small goals. I am working on the bigger picture, but right now I'm fine doing major lifts and going day by day, week by week. I also have an endpoint, I'll edit into my parent post when I have a bit more time.

PEace!

Damn midterms.

So, no gym last week due to very poor reasons. However, I'm back in the gym again. One step back, 2 steps forward. 

Yesterday focused on upper body: 

8 minute cycling warmup.

Bench press 135lbs 5x5

Assist Pullups -70lbs 1x7

Plank :30 x 2

Low Cable Row 85lbs 3x8

Tricep Extension 30lbs 3x8

Yesterday was a short day;

6 minutes cycling

15 minutes stretching

Back Squat 5x5 145lbs

then sauna to relax. the gym was slammed today. I think I need to avoid the time I went at. (~10 am)

I have a police hire info session coming up soon... SO YEAH! excited!

Just another note:

I've been logging my food for the last 5 days... something I feel very strongly about. While I'm "trying" to eat around 1800, I'm giving myself permission so long as I log it in my food journal. (myFitnessApp)

I am shifting towards reduced grains, but having done research on Paleo independently, am focusing more on a whole food style of diet with heavy forgiveness because I'm trying to integrate small measurable change.

Always the log of yesterday it seems. In order to stop this, I'm going to use dates.

Oct 22nd:

Starting a "running" program on my phone. i say "running" because I realized I like to sprint interval style for the starting line up.

So: 

20 minutes of walking

2 minutes at 6.2

2 minutes at 7.0

1 minute at 8.0

1 minute at 9.0 (mph)

My legs hurt today. A minute of sprinting didn't seem like much until I realized that I did it the day after squats, and haven't run for quite some time... 

Thanks ixaera <3

Warmup walk/run: 10 minutes

15 minutes of stretching

Plank: 1 minute (!) - My abs are apparently stronger than I remember, I don't remember being able to do this since highschool. 

Pushups: 20 - I'm actually a lot closer to the Police application requirements than I thought. Minimum is 23, although ideal is 47.

Bench Press: 145lbs 4x5, 1x2 (lost form on last set, decided to call quits early)

Today was interesting. I don't feel overly well. Bit of a headache, slight cough. Figured I'd do what I could and stop when I couldn't. Got through more than I thought I would, less than I hoped.

Also, update in goal. i want to be able to do a pull-up, 30 pushups, and 2 min plank. I also want to be able to run for 10 minutes straight. I've got some work to do.

Today has so far been interesting; 

My phone updated in the night, and turned off all the alarms I had set for this morning. As of such, I woke up 2 hours late, missed my workout, was late to class, and understandably annoyed.

Then, in the middle of class, I got called by a friend, saying she was first responder to a seizure. I then got to do a lot of running, handling EMS, doing some first aid and organization, then running to get my vehicle from home after to transport said seizure person back home.

I may have missed my morning workout, but fate seems to conspire to force it upon me. +1 Endurance, +1 Willpower.

Anyways, figured I'd log 10 minutes running, 15 minutes walking.