> >

U

What were YOU thinking of?

OYG3w.jpg

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Go Beyond - Jedi's Pro Hero Challenge

Jedi Battle Log

“If you feel yourself hitting up against your limit, remember for what cause you clench your fists! Remember why you started down this path, and let that memory carry you beyond your limit”

- Toshinori Yagi (All Might), My Hero Academia

Challenges#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48

Water + squeezes of fresh fruit is pretty tasty. To amp up the flavor, you can use flavored seltzer + fruit juice. Like 1/4th a cup of orange juice + orange seltzer tastes pretty awesome for minimal sugar.

I switched from sugar to splenda in my coffee. Chemicals, I know, I know. Still naughty with the half-n-half though >.> 

• Like 1

Water + squeezes of fresh fruit is pretty tasty. To amp up the flavor, you can use flavored seltzer + fruit juice. Like 1/4th a cup of orange juice + orange seltzer tastes pretty awesome for minimal sugar.

I switched from sugar to splenda in my coffee. Chemicals, I know, I know. Still naughty with the half-n-half though >.> 

Whoo! Splenda users unite! Haha I've been using it, and my family has been using it, for ages and it really hasn't caused us any problems.

Grey Jedi Ranger

Go Beyond - Jedi's Pro Hero Challenge

Jedi Battle Log

“If you feel yourself hitting up against your limit, remember for what cause you clench your fists! Remember why you started down this path, and let that memory carry you beyond your limit”

- Toshinori Yagi (All Might), My Hero Academia

Challenges#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48

I usually drink my coffee black. I've heard that if you have a bitter cup, putting a pinch of salt in it will offset the bitterness much better than adding a bunch of sugar. I haven't really tried this though, so I can't swear by it.

With tea how you steep it all depends on the type of tea. Black tea should be steeped in water that has just recently been boiling (warm your cup/teapot by swishing some of your boiled water in it first and dumping that out before adding the water you intend to steep with) and usually steeping for 2-3 minutes tops. Green tea should be steeped in water that's about 80 C (or less, depending on your particular tea, some are more delicate and require lower steeping temperatures) and it should be steeped for 1-2 minutes (though it's relatively forgiving). White teas require temperatures as low as 65 C and are steeped for the same time as green teas.

Steeping green and white teas at temperatures that are too high will scorch your tea leaves, creating a bitter taste. Steeping black tea for too long will cause it to have a bitter taste as well.

You generally don't want to re-steep black tea (so toss the leaves or bag when you're done), but you can re-steep green and white tea a few times.

Herbal "teas" are not really tea, but tisanes (they don't have leaves from tea trees in them). They usually steep for 3-5 minutes and are generally steeped with boiling water, like black tea. 

With all teas if you're using loose leaves, you want to use about 1 tsp per cup of tea (though that can vary since some teas are fluffier than others) and if you're making several cups in a tea pot, you want to add one extra for the pot (and I think for bagged tea, it's one bag per cup with one extra for the pot). Loose leaf teas are generally a bit more expensive than bagged teas, but the cost usually isn't so bad and they're definitely worth it because the quality is usually significantly better.

• Like 1

Level 9 Amazon Druid
STR : 17 | DEX : 23 | STA : 22 | CON : 23 | WIS : 21 | CHA : 15
Challenges: Current, 8, 7.1, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3.1, 3, 2, 1
Battle Log

As someone whose beverage choices are severely limited by a plethora of medical issues causing all sorts of dietary restrictions, I've dealt with the issue of "what the heck can I drink?" for some time. I can't have caffeine because it gives me seizures, and I can't have sugar or fruit juice because I've got liver diabetes, and I am allergic to most artificial sweeteners (or they give me gut cramps), so I'm limited. Things I've tried for a breakfast beverage:

1) Polar grapefruit flavored seltzer. This may be only available in New England, where we have the Polar plant and routinely see 20 flavors of seltzer in the grocery stores. But it's good.

2) True Lemon, True Lime, and True Grapefruit. You can add those to water or plain seltzer and they work awesomely for citrus flavor, and have a ton of Vitamin C in them.The grapefruit flavor is great for breakfast and I'm practically living on it these last few days of being sick.  I used to drink Emergen-C, but now that I'm on zero sugar and almost no fruit, I prefer the three Trues because they are zero carb, and I think zero calorie, or at least ridiculously low. You can Google them and mail-order from the website if there are none in your local stores. Be warned that the website also carries a mess of other tasty drink powders that are sweetened - check ingredients before buying!

3) Herbal teas. There are some lovely ones out there with spices and vanilla and other things that can be warm and comforting, although they are not caffeinated. I find that teas with cinnamon or vanilla give the impression of being very sweet with no actual carb sweeteners. If you want to pay less, you can just get some spices and vanilla extract and make your own. People think of herb tea as either being nasty medicinals or mint (which it can be, but there's a million other flavors you can experiment with). I put unsweetened cashew milk in cinnamon tea, which makes it kind of like chai.

4) If you can manage black coffee, you may be able to manage hot cocoa with very little sweetener. I do find that the bitterness of chocolate tends to be one of the few things that can mask the bitterness of stevia, so that's an option. Or you can use monkfruit in it. Buying a really nice cocoa helps.

5) If you live somewhere staghorn sumac is native, you can collect the fuzzy berry tops in the fall and make a tea that's sort of lemonade-like. Traditional Native American beverage, and herbalists have found it to help blood sugar.

6) Nut milks, if you're not allergic. This will depend on your diet goals. If you're going low-fat, that's not a good option. If you're just trying for non-dairy, it can be. I prefer the cashew myself, because I fear an almond allergy coming on and I'm resting from almond milk to prevent that. You can make cocoa with it. You can also get coffee extract, put it in nut milk, and heat it up.

Really, it's hard to advise without knowing what your projected diet is. What works for some is not good for others. I am fine with dairy, and on my ketogenic diet I could eat a stick of butter if I wanted so fat isn't an issue, but you might be able to get away with honey or maple syrup or agave, which spike my blood sugar so I can't do it. You might be able to get away with mixing some fresh-pressed fruit pulp with water or seltzer, which I can't do. So these are all possible ideas.

Second Challenge: Eat Greens every day. Walking and/or Tai Chi whenever possible. Meditation when it's not.

0%
0%

Satyr shaman druid, running with Reindeer and swimming with Octopus.

Level 1: STR 0 | STA 2 | WIS 6 | DEX 2 | CON 2 | CHA 6

Autoimmune disease: Because the only one tough enough to kick my ass is me.

If you have access to organic strawberries (ie not laden with pesticides), you can cut the tops off the berries (the bit that would normally just go in the bin or the compost) and use them to flavor your water. Cucumber in water is wonderful too, really refreshing!

Of the two, I'd keep the coffee and ditch the Kool-aid, if you can. One is natural, one is chemicals and sugar.  I also have a French press and buy good coffee and don't feel like I need milk and sugar in it, but I still add cinnamon.  Maybe try milk and cinnamon in your coffee, and see if that helps you lessen the sugar you need to add?

Organic does not equal no pesticides.  There are a number of pesticides used by organic farmers and some of them are way nastier (health wise) than their synthetic counterparts.  

http://www.ams.usda.gov/rules-regulations/organic/national-list

I've always taken my coffee black, no sugar, and have found that they key to getting others to see the light and drink it that way is simple: BETTER COFFEE

Coffee is not like soda that last for a year in a can; it's more like vegetables, with a very distinct and relatively short shelf life, and like meat in that it's quite easy to make it badly.

If you want to eliminate sugar from your coffee, you've got to get it to taste better so you don't need the sugar to mask off flavors.

Step 1: Clean your coffee maker regularly, and make sure it brews at the right temperature

• Run half a pot of white vinegar through your coffee pot if you use drip, and turn it off halfway through.  Let it sit for 20 minutes, then finish running it through.  Run 2-3 pots of water to flush it out.
  • Scrub the heck out of every part you can reach.  If your coffee pot smells acidic and harsh, your coffee will taste bitter due to leftover coffee residue
  • Get an instant read thermometer and see what temp your coffee brews at.  It will likely be too cold.  Coffee should be around 195-205° when brewed.  Most drip coffee makers make it far cooler than that, to avoid burning people, but in the same way an easy bake oven won't make a decent roast beef, a cold coffee pot makes swill
  • The advantage of the French press is that it allows you to control the temperature very precisely by adding your own water.  A kettle that's 1 minute off whistling is perfect (as in: it whistled and you removed it from the stove for 1 minute)

Step 2: Get better coffee and keep it better

• Try to find a local coffee roaster (many coffee shops roast their own beans) and buy beans from them.  If they can tell you exactly when the beans were roasted, even better!
  • Buy only as much as you'll use in 2 weeks
  • Buy whole bean and invest in a coffee grinder.  A $20 blade grinder from the department store is fine for a French Press
  • Don't think that darker roast = more flavor.  It does, sometimes, but I find that dark roast tends to drown out any subtlety of a good bean.  Medium roast is my stand-by.
  • Store your coffee in an airtight container and don't grind it until you're ready to pour the water.  I like to keep the time between grind and pour under 60 seconds
  • Use filtered water.  I used to use a Brita, now I use a Berkey, but either way, it makes way better coffee than untreated tap

Step 3: Keep your brewed coffee awesome

• When you take the kettle off the stove, pour some hot water into your coffee mug, then dump that water right before you pour your coffee.  A pre-heated cup will keep your coffee hotter and smoother-tasting
  • Clean your coffee cup every day, and even between cups if you aren't going straight from one cup to the next.

I have never seen a good coffee shop selling "French Vanilla" flavored coffee.  If you want your coffee to taste like vanilla, buy a good medium roast and add a dash of vanilla extract yourself, because you will NOT find "French Vanilla" coffee of any decent quality in a store.  Same applies to any other flavor.  Pumpkin spice?  Nutmeg and cinnamon, maybe a dash of allspice.  Peppermint?  Well, that's pretty obvious...

Give me 48 calories of a tablespoon of sugar  over 117 calories and over half the day's saturated fat in coconut oil for my coffee.

True.  But it's great if you're one of those people who needs to get calories up, rather than down.

So in this instance, it's probably not wise.  But not worth knocking on over all.  Everything always has it's time and place.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Oh, when bulking I start using Breyers ice cream in my coffee.  I have never tried the butter or the coconut oil in coffee but can certainly vouch for ice cream.  But yes, I was referring to losing weight which was the original gist I believe of low calorie drink.

• Like 1

"For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm."

Just remember that Scooty Puff jr sucks!