• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

The 2015 Heroes of Hoist!

still annoyed at my (relatively) poverty squat

I've heard that the typical ratio for the Big 3 is 3:4:5

Your ratio is 3.63:4.05:5.00

You don't have a poverty squat. You have a ridiculously awesome bench press!

• Like 2

Okay, this comp was nicely timed to coincide with 12 months since I first got under a bar, so it was nice to see just how far I've come from the guy who freaked out about how heavy a bar was the first time it sat on his shoulders. Also, 8 months since VVLL so it's good to see what I've added since then too.

BW: 126.8kg <- slightly heavier than VVLL, and I was hoping to be significantly lighter. But shit happens.

Squat

Attempt 1: 190kg

Attempt 2: 195kg (5kg PR)

Attempt 3: 200kg failed

Bench

Attempt 1: 120kg

Attempt 2: 125kg (5kg PR)

Attempt 3: 130kg (10kg PR)

Deadlift

Attempt 1: 190kg

Attempt 2: 195kg (5kg PR)

Attempt 3: 200kg (10kg PR)

Total: 525kg

VVLL total: 397.5kg

So 127.5kg increase in 8 months. Pretty happy with that, and excited to see what comes in the next year!

• Like 3

I decided to go ahead and put up my scores today. Pretty happy with my lifting!

Male/32/100.8 kg

Snatch: 72, x77x, 77

Clean and Jerk: x103x, 103, 108

This gives me a new PR total of 185!

Here's a video:

https://youtu.be/MXd8awlTB_8

Sorry for the top of the lift being out of the frame. Didn't realize it until after I'd finished. Lol!

• Like 5

I decided to go ahead and put up my scores today. Pretty happy with my lifting!

Male/32/100.8 kg

Snatch: 72, x77x, 77

Clean and Jerk: x103x, 103, 108

This gives me a new PR total of 185!

Here's a video:

http://youtu.be/h6de1WLqwNQ

Sorry for the top of the lift being out of the frame. Didn't realize it until after I'd finished. Lol!

Video shows up as private.  Nice lifts though.  Excited to see them.  :)

One of the last nice days outdoors here in Minneapolis, so went outside to give my weightlifting a go (note, I have to go outside for Oly stuff as my basement gym isn't high enough for overhead stuff).  Form is still downright terrible.  Things go from feeling stupid easy (the openers on both of these lifts) to just feeling stupid heavy.  But maybe that's how Oly lifting goes.  Much less "grindy" than powerliffting.  Either way... I like that it's getting easier and I'm not "Power"-ing everything.  Actually do something that my resemble a true Snatch or Clean.  155lbs was my PR on C&J last time and it felt stupid easy this time around.  I just got super greedy and jumped too much.

Snatch

• 95lbs (43.10kg)
  • X - 115lbs (52.16kg) - Failed as I pressed this out.  Also sorts of crazy going on here.
  • 115lbs (52.16kg) - Definitely a Power Snatch, but I believe that still counts in competition.

Clean & Jerk

• 155lbs (70.31kg)
  • X - 185lbs (83.91kg) - First time my bumpers have been dropped from height.  Held up nicely, although my wife said the entire house shook.  :)
  • X - 185lbs (83.91kg) - Just had nothing left.  

• Like 3

One of the last nice days outdoors here in Minneapolis, so went outside to give my weightlifting a go (note, I have to go outside for Oly stuff as my basement gym isn't high enough for overhead stuff).  Form is still downright terrible.  Things go from feeling stupid easy (the openers on both of these lifts) to just feeling stupid heavy.  But maybe that's how Oly lifting goes.  Much less "grindy" than powerliffting.  Either way... I like that it's getting easier and I'm not "Power"-ing everything.  Actually do something that my resemble a true Snatch or Clean.  155lbs was my PR on C&J last time and it felt stupid easy this time around.  I just got super greedy and jumped too much.

Snatch

• 95lbs (43.10kg)
  • X - 115lbs (52.16kg)
  • 115lbs (52.16kg)

Clean & Jerk

• 155lbs (70.31kg)
  • X - 185lbs (83.91kg)
  • X - 185lbs (83.91kg)

Video coming either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Yeah, that's quite a big jump on Clean and Jerk! 

Still a good session!. :)

Yeah, that's quite a big jump on Clean and Jerk! 

Still a good session!. :)

Good job, Rooks!!! Looking forward to seeing the video!!

Solid session... but yeah.  I have so much to learn on those damn things.  Watching the video I just look slow.  Like I feel like I should be able to move faster than I do.  Haha... 

Some day... just gotta keep working on them.  Also for reference, I do Squat Jerks, not Split Jerks.  Maybe might have to try out Split soon, but for now, I'll stick with what I've done the most of.

I went 9 for 9 at the USAPL Raw Nationals.

I know the openers and the finals are right.  Might be wrong in the middle ones.

Squat 190 (418), 205 (451), 207.5(456.5)

Bench 150 (330), 160 (352), 165 (363)

Deadlift 190 (418), 205 (451), 210(462)

Weighed in at 121kg, 266#

Also lifted with some real monsters and legends.  

• Like 9

Solid session... but yeah.  I have so much to learn on those damn things.  Watching the video I just look slow.  Like I feel like I should be able to move faster than I do.  Haha... 

Some day... just gotta keep working on them.  Also for reference, I do Squat Jerks, not Split Jerks.  Maybe might have to try out Split soon, but for now, I'll stick with what I've done the most of.

I wish my gym had a slide. (Jelly!)

• Like 2

So Raw Nationals was a real trip.  Cyndi did a great job "managing" me.  I had 9 good lifts and 3 PR's.  I "lost" to the current world record holder in my age/weight class (Wayne Hammes).  Met some amazing lifters (I was warming up for squats with https://en.wikipedia...Brad_Gillinghamfor instance).  People say I'm big and strong...no 6'5", 330# and 10 world championships is big and strong.  Very humbling to say the least.

Squat 190, 205, 210 (462#)

Bench 150, 160, 165 (363#)

Deadlift 190, 205, 210 (462#)

• Like 2

So funny observation.  The other guy in my age/weight class is named Wayne Hammes.  I learned that

1) he just started lifting again after taking a decade off

2) he is the current world record holder for the class

3) he is 57.

Then I learned that Brad (mentioned above) is 49 and they are changing the age classes to be 50-59, rather than 50-54, 55-59.  Putting 2 and 2 together I think Wayne came out of retirement to get his name in the record books before Brad turns 50...and owns the class for the next decade or for as long as he wants.

It pays to plan these things out and to pay attention.  As the write up at the start of each of out competitions says...it's totally legit to work the rules so you are in the best group for yourself...

The M1a and M1b etc thing is a USAPL thing which doesn't line up with IPF, so that may the reason for the change.

I'm sure it is...Cline found the proposals for the new age classes as well as proposed cutoffs for qualifying for the Nationals.  All very sensible, based on a rolling average of the last 3 years worth of competitions, then a percentage of that average as a minimum.  The middle classes (72 and 84 for women and 105 for men) were huge number wise, as one would expect.

80% of women from the Netherlands fall into the highest weight category in kettlebell sport, even when really lean. But having 68+ is really stupid anyway.

Alright, finally getting around to posting my write up.

Competed this past Sunday at the USAPL RAW Nationals, and ended up with what is my worst meet to date in terms of performance and picking proper attempts. Mostly, I think it was due to Camp Plague and not being over it yet, my strength just isn't back. I'm thinking it might have been mono with the complete body soreness, throat issues, and terrible fatigue putting me in bed every night 2 hours early.

Squats

197.5 kg (435.4 lb) success

205 kg (451.9 lb) success

210 kg (463 lb) success

The plan going in was to finally get my 1400 lb total, which would have required me to hit 215 kg (474 lb) on the squat. After the first attempt I had my doubts and dropped my second attempt from 207.5 kg (457.5 lb) down to 205 kg to feel it out more. After the second when I was submitting my third attempt, I was considering going for 215 anyway, but honestly knew it wasn't there. It ended up being a smart move as 210 kg was hard. I might had had 212.5 kg, but higly highly doubt 215 kg was in the cards. This really sucked as I was pretty much screwed on getting 1400 lb after this.

Bench

135 kg (297.6 lb) success

145 kg (319.7 lb) fail

145 kg (319.7 lb) fail

So I hit a 5 lb PR at 325 lb at camp and had 330 in me that day, so that's wanted at the comp. I failed to account for the lack of strength that I felt in the squat and even during bench warm ups when my 275lb singles felt really heavy. Should have done 142.5 kg (314.2 lb) for my second attempt, or even lower, had I considered that. Anyway, I was pissed when I missed ym second, it was the first time ever. It was partially due to not being familiar with the guy handing off, but even with that mostly fixed for the third attempt, it wasn't there. This is really what screwed my meet up for me, but I learned to go more conservative with my second in the future. This was too aggresive, having only done 319+ 2-3 times so far.

Deadlift

242.5 kg (534.6 lb) success

255 kg (562.2 lb) success

270 kg (595.2 lb) fail

Opener felt heavy, so I went for 255kg instead of 257.5 kg (267.7 lb) for the second. That also felt really heavy. I knew what was going on with my strength at this point, and knew a PR probably wasn't in the cards. However, at this point in the meet I knew I hadn't hit any of my goals so far and knew before coming that wasn't going to be in any sort of contention, so there was nothing to gain by going conservative. I wanted to take something positive out of the meet, so decided to try to set the PR over my 267.5 kg (589.7 lb) that I set during my qualifier. Entering my third attempt, I really went back and forth a bunch between this and the next step up, which would have broken the 600 lb mark, but chose the little PR attempt due to the strenght issue.

I ended up pulling it well and locking it out, but my grip on my left hand started to slip before I got the down command. Ended up getting 1 white and 2 red as the judge on my right couldn't see the slip and the lift looked good to him. Everyone watching on the web thought it was a good lift and couln't tell why I didn't get it, so it must have been damn close. My grip on that hand is where the weak link is, that's where I tend to fail my max attempts. The lone positive for me out of the entire meet is that I got that one white light on this lift and that the strenght is pretty much there to hit 600, just need to work that grip.

Anyway, lb wise for the meet the goal was 475/330/600, which would have been 1405. The bench really threw my total actual total with me going 463/297/562 for a 1322 total. Had I been in a competition where I was competing for a podium spot and chosing attempts based on getting the best total, vs trying to hit PRs on every lift but squat (which I'm still far off from), I probably had 468.5/314.2/584.2 (1366.9) in me that day with the sickness. On a healthier day, I think I might have that 1405. I'm a bit disappointed that I'm so unlikely to hit my 1425 lb goal for the year though.

Anyway, doing that crappy compared to my standards has me a bit more motivated for training and I'm going to start a modified cube cycle next week in prep for the next virtual meet as I continue to also cut weight in my quest for the 105kg weight class. The goal is to maintain strength or gain just a bit and lose 15-20 more lb to get around 240 lb by then. I really want to focus on bringing my squats up closer to where they used to be (495 lb), fixing my deadlift grip, and maybe increasing bench just a little.

After that, my next official meet is probably going to be in April, which is the USAPL Pennsylvania State Championships and is only an hour or so from my house. The goal for that one is to be in the mid-upper 230s for bodyweight and water cut down to 232 lb, which is 105 kg. I'd be really happy if I could just be all the way there and not have to water cut. I'll total what I total, but hitting the 1425 mark by then would make my 1478 lb goal at 232 lb bodyweight by the end of 2016 (400 wilks) realistic.

• Like 5