Finance Apps

Since we're all nerds here, I thought I'd start a thread about the finance apps we all like :) I'll get the ball rolling!

Mint - This is FREE and it's pretty awesome. I can create my own budget with it, hook up all my accounts to it, and see exactly where I stand financially. I can see how my 401k is doing, my credit cards, bank account, etc all in one place. I love the budgeting feature and the goals, and also like being able to see patterns of spending. It's mostly automatic, too - from time to time I just go in and check my transaction list, correct anything where it couldn't figure out the category a purchase belonged to, etc. It's really helped me to see where a lot of my money is going to.

Acorns - This app I think is $1/month, and it's basically hands-free investment. It rounds up every purchase you make to the next dollar, and then deposits the round-up amount into your savings/investment account. It's very set-it-and-forget-it. You can choose different investment plans, from high risk to low risk. There's also no penalty for withdrawals.

Mint is great.  I also use Goodbudget - which sets up virtual envelopes.  You can pay to link it to actual accounts - but I just use the free version to keep track of the expenses that tend to get out of hand month to month (groceries, eating out, coffee, activities, incidentals).  It's been great to keep me accountable to only spend what I've budgeted for myself - or to save up over the months to get specific things

every dollar is what i have been using, its free, but you can pay for it to sync to your bank accounts. Uses Dave Ramsey's baby steps as a guide

but going to be switching to: YNAB. I have been looking into this (and it's what my sister uses) I like that there's a 1 month buffer, and always living off of last months income. 

I have been looking into YNAB as well.  Have you tried the free month trial?  I would love to know what you thought.

Level 4 Demon/Assassin

We Can't All Be The Hero.

STR:6  DEX:7 STA:8  CON:5  WIS:8 CHA:2

"No power in the 'verse can stop me." River

I have been looking into YNAB as well.  Have you tried the free month trial?  I would love to know what you thought.

They have free online resources and classes you can use. I'm going to be trying out those things and their rules on my own first to see if their software would be a worthwhile investment. Granted, in their webinars, you have a chance to win the software for free.

• Like 1

every dollar is what i have been using, its free, but you can pay for it to sync to your bank accounts. Uses Dave Ramsey's baby steps as a guide

but going to be switching to: YNAB. I have been looking into this (and it's what my sister uses) I like that there's a 1 month buffer, and always living off of last months income.

I second everydollar but have also used budget simple as well. Both are free for the base versions.

I used mint for a while but, found it to be more of a financial management app than for budgeting.

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - GK Chesterton

Character | Intro | Battle Log | Runkeeper | MyFitnessPal | CTPG

Challenges: #1

Current Epic Quest:

Start: Jan. 3, 2016

End Goal: May 2017

Walk to Mordor and Back, Plus Grey Havens

.8%
.8%

We've been using YNAB for several years and I love it. I do recall when we first started using YNAB it was difficult to wrap my head around looking at the amount in your categories instead of the account balance, but now I don't even think about it. Once you get past that point then the methodology really shows its value.

This past spring we reached the point where we're living off last months income and I have no deisre to ever go back to living paycheck by paycheck. IMO this app is definitely worth the value.

Note, we use the Mac app and the iphone apps.

I have been using YNAB since September and I absolutely do not know how I lived life without it. I was always scraping by each pay period to the bone. Now I regularly have $1000 and am still broke instead of the same feeling with $25. I recommend do the YNAB free trial and take the classes on the website! Also you can get a free copy of YNAB if you are a student, which luckily I am. 

Tink the Friendly Ogre

Ogre | Level 0

| STR 0 | DEX | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 |

MAIN QUEST - Weigh below 300 lbs by June 1st (1.6 lbs per week)

GOAL 1 - Track all calories in MyFitnessPal|GOAL 2 - In bed by 11PM, out of bed by 7 AM|GOAL 3 - No more Soda!!

SIDE QUEST - Put an extra $100 towards debt.

Keep me Accountable! Add me on Facebook|MyFitnessPal Send me a PM first though!

My NF CharacterEpic Quest | Challenge 1