How to start implementation?

Hey fellows!!

I've made many challenge treads now. But I don't get a grip. This time the goals would have been just perfect, but somehow it doesn't work. When I should do sth. from the plan it's always like: no I am too tired, no I am hungry, no I don't feel like it, ...

How do I conquer my weaker self?

I thought about having a fixed plan again. But I messed up those also in the past. Some tips and tricks to finally make it?

• Like 1

"The purpose of life is to be happy." - Tendzin Gyatsho, the 14th Dalai Lama 

Character

I just finished reading The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg last month. One of the most interesting things I read was about knee replacement surgery, of all things. Patients who have the surgery are usually in a lot of pain, but if they don't start walking after their surgery they will lose some to all of their mobility. So they made them write down goals and the ones that "planned for pain" (or planned for when they were most likely to give up) were the ones that were most successful, such as "I will walk to the bus stop to meet my wife. If standing up is painful, I will take the first step right away so I'm further from the couch" 

So when you're planning your goals, think about the time when you're weakest, when you're most likely to blow it off or give up. Plan to do something small that won't take a lot of effort but might bring your drive to do it back. When I don't feel like exercising in the morning I at least go to the basement and I do a couple squats. That usually gets my body going to be able to start my workout.

That being said, I remember this quote that's usually attributed to Einstein, "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"  Are you just not working for your goals, or are your goals not working for you? Are you expecting too much of yourself? Make realistic goals based on your life right now, not what you want it to be. Too many changes will burn you out and you'll lose focus. Looking at your goals, I see 15 hours a week studying. That's over 2 hours a day without a day for rest! Even 30 minutes a day as a goal would be plenty, even if you end up doing more than that. Trying to focus for 30 minutes is way easier compared to 2 hours. And taking a day off, like Saturday or Sunday, will give your brain time to rest and ready itself for another week.

I hope this was helpful! Good luck!

• Like 3

Hey fellows!!

I've made many challenge treads now. But I don't get a grip. This time the goals would have been just perfect, but somehow it doesn't work. When I should do sth. from the plan it's always like: no I am too tired, no I am hungry, no I don't feel like it, ...

How do I conquer my weaker self?

I thought about having a fixed plan again. But I messed up those also in the past. Some tips and tricks to finally make it?

In a way, you've given a great summary to my own challenges, and I suspect the same might be true for other NF-ers too. A good way to start for me was to make it easy to win. My early wins didn't come from "walking an hour each day," but rather "going for a walk." Just starting the activity was the win, regardless of how log the activity lasted. I still do some wins that way: park in the furthest possible spot from the grocery store entrance; make an extra trip or three to the basement to carry the laundry up without the laundry basket. They might seem simple, but they feel good when I've done them. Once you get some wins under your belt, you'll be able to build on them. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Lou186000
Battle Log: Battling at the Speed of Lou

aaaa42%