Newbie would like advice please 😘

So at present I run a lot and that's going okay, I'm eating really well but I want to start doing weights. I wondered if anyone could advise on where I should start, I want to do weights to improve my running but there are some other things too... I want a bigger bum and I really want to get rid of the fat at the top of my inner thighs and under my butt 😂 And I want to tone my arms. I have done some weights stuff before and I do prefer free weights to machines. If anyone can give me some advice on what stuff I should do to get started or what you do that would be nice ☺ï¸

I got started doing StrongLifts. It's really straightforward and plenty of squats.

Growing a bigger butt will happen in time. If you're aiming to just maintain your weight but improve your shape over time then just lift and see what happens.

Once you've hit a lot of stalls with StrongLifts then look at moving to other programmes or doing more focused volume/intensity training but the main thing when you're starting out with weights is just to find a programme and stick to it.

My bum has improved immeasurably over the past two years whilst my weight has stayed pretty much the same.

• Like 1

And advice the newbie shall have. First of all, forget fat reduction from certain points and 'toning'. Assigning those as your goals will most likely result in disappointment as spot fat reduction is mostly impossible to do and 'toning' is 100% either fat loss, muscle growth or both.

My advice would be to do a program like Greyskull LP or something similar to build a solid base of both strength and muscle. Squatting often and doing deadlifts both help with your leg areas as they grow muscle there. Benching often does wonders to your arms in terms of muscle growth so you have that covered as well. The program is only done thrice a week so you you can easily fit a running schedule along with it.

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of girly men.

Squats will give you everything you said you want in your legs from the big butt to the the better muscle/fat ratio. We don't call it squat booty for nothing. Do them with a slightly exagerated toes out and wider stance and they'll target the inner thighs more. I actually have issue with cloths because of how big I've made those adductors (the inner thigh muscles). Ladies shouldn't have that issue.

For arms, you'll want to do curls and triceps extensions, basically dumbbell work, but the big compou nd movements that will help are the bench press or push up, which also works the chest in addition to triceps, and chin ups which will work the back in addition to the biceps. Use assisted variants if needed to start on the chin-ups.

I got started doing StrongLifts. It's really straightforward and plenty of squats.

Growing a bigger butt will happen in time. If you're aiming to just maintain your weight but improve your shape over time then just lift and see what happens.

Once you've hit a lot of stalls with StrongLifts then look at moving to other programmes or doing more focused volume/intensity training but the main thing when you're starting out with weights is just to find a programme and stick to it.

My bum has improved immeasurably over the past two years whilst my weight has stayed pretty much the same.

As SS stated, StrongLifts or Starting Strength will include those workouts I've mentioned and are a great place to start. However, they also include a few other ones like the deadlift and overhead press. While they're useful and will make you stronger, you may not need them for your goals. That's up for you to decide. Specifically I have issue with low back fatigue when I'm doing lots of running and deadlifitng around the same times.

And SS, I bet you could measure the butt gains if you tried.

And advice the newbie shall have. First of all, forget fat reduction from certain points and 'toning'. Assigning those as your goals will most likely result in disappointment as spot fat reduction is mostly impossible to do and 'toning' is 100% either fat loss, muscle growth or both.

My advice would be to do a program like Greyskull LP or something similar to build a solid base of both strength and muscle. Squatting often and doing deadlifts both help with your leg areas as they grow muscle there. Benching often does wonders to your arms in terms of muscle growth so you have that covered as well. The program is only done thrice a week so you you can easily fit a running schedule along with it.

To clarify the first paragraph here, spot reduction fat loss is in fact not something that happens. It can appear to happen if you focus on building the muscle in that area. This is because there's more muscle and the same amount, or slightly less fat (from overall fat loss), and the muscle to fat ratio will be higher than before. This makes the area will look leaner.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I have tried that 5x5 thing, I used the freeweights (I think they are?) I did a squats 5 sets of 5 (20kg) with 1 set of 5 at 15kg to warm up. Bench press (5x5) with a 12.5kg weight cause I already know I cannot bench press 20 kg. Then I did one arm dumbell rows (4kg) 10 on each side. Then side bend with dumbells (4kg) to do abs and then the weight rowing machine on 10kg. I would like to do some more cause I didn't feel like it was enough so I ran 3k after... I cant really do the dead lift cause the gym doesnt have the right stuff for it and I wouldnt want to attempt it without someone who doesnt know what they're doing to make sure i am doing it right... :) 

I have tried that 5x5 thing, I used the freeweights (I think they are?) I did a squats 5 sets of 5 (20kg) with 1 set of 5 at 15kg to warm up. Bench press (5x5) with a 12.5kg weight cause I already know I cannot bench press 20 kg. Then I did one arm dumbell rows (4kg) 10 on each side. Then side bend with dumbells (4kg) to do abs and then the weight rowing machine on 10kg. I would like to do some more cause I didn't feel like it was enough so I ran 3k after... I cant really do the dead lift cause the gym doesnt have the right stuff for it and I wouldnt want to attempt it without someone who doesnt know what they're doing to make sure i am doing it right... :) 

The gym doesn't have the big weights to put on it. I used the smaller bar for the squat not the Olympic bar. The only think I don't want is to gain too much muscle in my thighs and calves, they're already so big and cause I am so small I already look out of proportion haha. No one judge me but I want Kourney Kardashians body! She's the same height as me, 15 years old and has had three kids so it has to be possible! x

The gym doesn't have the big weights to put on it. I used the smaller bar for the squat not the Olympic bar. The only think I don't want is to gain too much muscle in my thighs and calves, they're already so big and cause I am so small I already look out of proportion haha. No one judge me but I want Kourney Kardashians body! She's the same height as me, 15 years old and has had three kids so it has to be possible! x

You're not going to bulk your legs.  Trust us, you're not.  I know it feels counter-intuitive to everything you've ever read, but you won't.

Women especially who have huge quads the size of my head?  Yeah, they spent hours and hours of dedicated training to achieve that.

Nobody stumbles into legs like that by accident.

• Like 1

My laptop does not like posting on this site! hahah 

Innovator; they do have an olympic bar 

TMedina; People keep saying that but I don't see how that can be true! I already have really big calve and thigh muscles so surely doing weights would make them bigger? Its so confusing to me. 

I just want thinner legs and less stomach fat... 

Just trust us, you will not grow too big accidentally. That's extremely hard for men to achieve and due to hormonal differences in the ability to gain muscle, even harder for women. You will build more muscle but you will also lose fat. Fat takes up more room than muscle. One kilo of fat is roughly half the size of one kilo of fat.

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of girly men.

Okay, so today I did the same as the other day but I manned up and attempted a deadlift 30kg, 1x5 like the site says. Then did some intervals on the treadmill. So me doing the weights will make me smaller cause it's getting rid of the fat? What other ab weight stuff can I do? That is my most problematic area, I know it's diet and cardio too but I don't even think that I have any abs under the flub! Hahaha

Okay, so today I did the same as the other day but I manned up and attempted a deadlift 30kg, 1x5 like the site says. Then did some intervals on the treadmill. So me doing the weights will make me smaller cause it's getting rid of the fat? What other ab weight stuff can I do? That is my most problematic area, I know it's diet and cardio too but I don't even think that I have any abs under the flub! Hahaha

You doing anything that makes your body use more energy than before will make you lose fat. One way to achieve this is to build muscle to make your body use more calories and exercising. It's 90% about diet however.

Any weighed or bodyweight ab exercise will do. Personally I only weighed or bodyweight ab wheels or standing or kneeling cable crunches.

Keep in mind that while ab exercises are great in their own right, they will not help you carve away the fat.  You can't spot reduce and the fat will come off in the weirdest places to start.

Deadlifts and squats are going to be your best friends for burning calories.

Good luck!

Natalie, you might prefer doing a general strength training program for overal strength, working on muscular endurance (toning) and not muscular strength (gaining mass). 

It's not true that women can't get bigger - we certainly can if we want to. I have. But that's probably not what you want for your sport specific training, most runners prefer to be skinny with great muscular endurance, which requires toning your muscles for endurance strength. You will also benefit from plyometric training and HIIT training on the side.

To get a bigger butt, squats will work, but remember squats will also target your quads and make them bigger, so if you already think your quads are too big, you should do glute bridges or glute squeezes or another kind of exercise instead that targets mainly the glutes and leaves out the thighs. If you have naturally muscular legs, even running might make them more pronounced so honestly the only way to slim down muscles is atrophy, which requires not using them, which is not what you want to do to be fit. 

Muscular Endurance / Toning requires resistance for 12 or more reps for 3 or more sets. If you are using dumbells, you will be lifting lighter weights for higher repetitions.

If you are doing body weight training you will be striving for as many reps as possible.

Tone every muscle to make sure it remains strong and to prevent muscle imbalances. It is better to lift dumbells than use machines, because you will get superior isolation of each muscle. It is excellent to work each muscle at a time to make sure it is being worked properly and you are not getting imbalances. 

For example, you could do a deadlift because it works more than one muscle at a time, but a dead lift does NOT work every single muscle in your body, especially if you are using improper form, which is why most people who do nothing but deadlift have out of proportion bodies and get muscle imbalances. For example, it's common to see people with really tiny calf muscles and huge quads, or tiny hamstrings and huge quads, or whatever, because they are not working every muscle in the body equally. It looks bad, but most importantly muscle imbalances cause a lot of skeletal, muscular and postural problems and pain in general.

So anyway, even if you do decide to do deadlifts and other exercises like pushups that work more than 1 muscle in the body, you NEED to make sure to also strength train every muscle in your body separately once in awhile.

Here's a good workout routine that targets EVERY important muscle:

(Legs)

Squats, lunges - to make them harder add resistance or do walking lunges or jumping squats and lunges - Any squat and lunge only works the glutes, quads and one muscle in the calves.

You should still do calf raises and hamstring swiss ball curls.

Also do lateral leg raises with weights on your hips (abductors - outer thigh/hip muscle)

You can work the adductors - inner thigh muscle - by straddling a swiss ball and squeezing it inwards with your legs, if you don't want to use adductor machines. Most people neglect the hip muscles, but it's important to have some good muscle on the side of your legs and over your hip bones. 

(arms)

Bicep Curls 

Tricep Kickbacks

(shoulders)

Lateral Dumbbell Raises (medial deltoid)

Front Dumbbell Raises (anterior deltoid)

Bent over reverse flyes (posterior deltoid)

Rotator Cuff exercise with dumbbells

Never use heavy weights while working the shoulders. Even heavy weight lifters don't lift heavy for the shoulders because the rotator cuff is a VERY TINY muscle that is easily injured, and it's one of the most painful injuries in the world and takes a long time to heal.   

(Chest)

Push ups (Pectoralis major, but also works the core, triceps and shoulders)

(Back)

Bent over row (trapezius)

Pull ups, rock climbing or lat pull down (lattisimus dorsi)

Supermans (erector spinae aka the muscle along your spine that does extension)

Side Planks (works the quadratus lumborum aka the lower back muscle - and also the obliques)

(Abdominals)

Crunches - not full sit ups, actual crunches, full sit ups work the illiopsoas which you don't need to strengthen at all. (Crunches work the Rectus Abdominus - the 6 pack muscle)

Rotations/twists/oblique crunches (obliques)

Planks or dead bugs or stomach vaccums (transverse abdominus, the muscle that acts like a girdle and keeps all your intestines inside, this is the muscle you need to work to get a flat stomach, to hold everything in)

If you haven't already, do side planks and supermans to strengthen the full core including the back

Always work abs last, you need them tight and engaged during the workout.