Almost fainted while deadlifting yesterday

So, I was supposed to do 2 sets of 5 reps @ 100lbs.

I did that fine, and then increased to 120lbs and did 2 reps, and everything turned blurry and I froze and did my best to not faint. Luckily I didn't, but I don't know why that happened.

Is this supposed to happen? Did I push it too far? Should I increase volume and do lighter weight romanian deadlifts?

Amount of what you have to give in order to succeed.

The Adventure Awaits...

Instagram

Yes, I have had lunch an hour and a half before training. I breathe at the starting position and hold my breath until the end of the repetition to maintain core stability. I am quite sure that my form sucks anyway, I'll try to upload a video soon so you can critique my technique (that would be incredibly helpful!).

I have a lot of trouble at the starting position.

1) Feet should be 1 inch away from the bar, I do that ok.

2) When I get into the starting position, my shins should touch the bar without moving it, but they don't. If I try to touch the bar with my shins, then I have to sink my butt as if I was at the bottom position of a squat...

The Adventure Awaits...

Instagram

Sometimes that happens. It could be from a few things - what SS mentioned, blood pressure wonkiness, the fact that DL is a really freaking intense exercise... etc.  I don't think you need to drop weight.  If it starts to happen all the time you should be concerned. Otherwise, don't worry too much. 

When this happens to me I find if I squat or sit down it dissipates quickly (by squat I mean, squat down, not do a squat).  Get low, get little and make sure you're in a place where if you do faint you won't hurt yourself. 

• Like 1

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I have a lot of trouble at the starting position.

1) Feet should be 1 inch away from the bar, I do that ok.

2) When I get into the starting position, my shins should touch the bar without moving it, but they don't. If I try to touch the bar with my shins, then I have to sink my butt as if I was at the bottom position of a squat...

The bar should be over mid-foot rather than past the end of the toes. Is that what you meant?

Oh, maybe I'm starting too far away from the bar. I place it 1-2 inches away from my legs, I have not been thinking about the bar being over mid-foot. 

Before I start the rep, I raise my butt and try to load my hamstrings, is this ok?

I mean, I try to take out all the movement where I am not lifting, so that when I begin my rep I am at the point where the only movement left is deadlifting the bar.

Thanks for the tips! Always eager to learn form the best

The Adventure Awaits...

Instagram

Before I start the rep, I raise my butt and try to load my hamstrings, is this ok?

Yes. You have to do this. As far as the bar position goes, like SS said, you want the bar over mid-foot. I put it right around the top of my laces, maybe slightly in front of that point. I then let my shins just barely touch the bar.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

The *shins* should be about an inch from the bar, not the feet.

Deadlifts, as others have said, is an intense exercise.  More than almost any other, a deadlift will leave me winded and gasping.  If you're doing full sets of what is a full body exercise, you're going to get winded, and then light-headed, and then nauseous.  Especially starting out for the first time.

After you complete a set, step back and catch your breath.  For that matter, make sure you catch your breath between reps, as SS noted.

• Like 1

Squat fairies and deadlift fairies (ie, stars and light headedness) are pretty common on reps that are approaching your (current) max.  

There are lots of ways to deal with it, but mostly its practice and breathing....and make sure you are away from anything really hard like the dumbbell rack.  There are some scary youtubes with folks crashing into things, etc.  This is one reason at meets that there will be a spotter behind someone doing a deadlift.

• Like 2

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

For very intense lifts where you have to give it your all, this happens. I believe it happens due to blood pressure spikes during that effort and then blood rushing to your head as you complete it and put the bar down. We call it squat fairies when it happens for that lift as there tend to be little floating lights. Anyway, it's completely normal for very intense sets. Just be aware of it beind a possiblity, and put yourself in a position to not get hurt if you fall down. I tend to sit down on the safety bar of the squat rack with my hands on my knees if it happens after squats. For deadlifts, I have my bench near by at home that I'll sit on, or I'll just take a knee if I'm in the gym. Don't wanna be these guys:

2fc84a1975e3d0c32f1ef1500eae021b.gifjH6tevJ.gif

I started getting dizzy doing DL after going on a cut. Sometimes I'd get it at 70-80 % of my working weight, but not at working weight. It's odd.
How's your calorie intake?

This is due to a blood sugar drop from not having enough calories/carbs, which is a seperate issue from above. I get it too, and try to avoid it by focusing my carbs to the few hours before my workout and even during my workout when I'm on a cut.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Okay then, good to know! I switched back to romanian DLs anyway, I felt my lower back was doing most of the work, but since I didn't end up with paralizing pain, I though my form was ok. I asked a friend to "coach me" and tell me if I was rounding my back. Turns out I totally was, so I'm Romanian deadlifting my way to strong hamstrings so I can give heavy deadlifts an honest shot! I don't want to get to heavier weights with bad form and visit SNAP CITY

The Adventure Awaits...

Instagram

Oh man, I cringed on that first gif. Head first into the dumbbell rack? Owwww...

I think of that one almost every time I pull heavy

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

This is due to a blood sugar drop from not having enough calories/carbs, which is a seperate issue from above. I get it too, and try to avoid it by focusing my carbs to the few hours before my workout and even during my workout when I'm on a cut.

I'm diabetic (type 1), so I'm very sure it's not because of low blood sugar.