Dealing with used gym clothes while at work

Google is failing me on this...

It is extremely likely that by next week I will begin experimenting with adding a pre-work workout to my day. I share a double cubicle with two other people and I want to respect them and their noses by not bringing a bunch of stinky laundry in. 

How do I avoid this?

more details:

• I will likely swim some days (I don't want everything to smell like chlorine) and do some dumbbell work some days (I sweat easily).
  • My gym will be 30 minutes from my house and 15 minutes from work, directly on my route to work.
  • I already tote a reusable grocery bag with my food for the day, that will probably scale up to a gym bag.
  • I don't yet know what the towel offerings at the gym will be but just assume the worst, that I'm carrying my own.
  • I will shower at the gym before work. I think I'll change my shaving ritual to night time.
  • When I Google this I just get a bunch of tips on what kind of workout to do, not how to avoid being 'that guy'

If you have experience as a gym user or you have coworkers with good tricks, let me know please.

Links to existing websites that my google fu missed are welcome.

Barbarian of the Battle Logs

Battle Log

Some options:
Rent a locker at the gym.  Pick the clothes up on your way home, or just leave them hanging to dry until next time.

Laundry service at the gym or the office?

Find a locker or back corner at the office to stash your bag.

Ask other people at your office/talk to your cube-mates and see if they have ideas.  If nothing else, you get bonus points for thinking of them.

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

Some options:

Rent a locker at the gym.  Pick the clothes up on your way home, or just leave them hanging to dry until next time.

Laundry service at the gym or the office?

Find a locker or back corner at the office to stash your bag.

Ask other people at your office/talk to your cube-mates and see if they have ideas.  If nothing else, you get bonus points for thinking of them.

The rental option occurred to me. I haven't yet toured the facility so I'll ask when I do. we have a triathlete here and I talked to her but she stops home first if she works out in the morning. I will take your suggestion to talk to my coworkers, at least let them know I'm thinking of them.

buy one of those waterproof sacks ... if its stops stuff getting in, it will stop stuff getting out 

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/graphics/product_images/pDSP1-11861952dt.jpg

Interesting idea. I may try this although I worry about he plastic bag problem of mildew.

Battle Log

I don't understand your problem... Have you ever heard of plastic bags? Are they available in the US?

https://gallo1.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/soltar.jpg

Those bags, just throw your stinky clothes in there and tie a knot :)

Now place those bags in yout gym bag, and done.

If you are worried about the dolphins, keep in mind that you are not throwing plastic bags away, you are reusing them.

Hence, you are part of the solution.

God damn it I always hit the quote button instead of the edit one :P

Amount of what you have to give in order to succeed.

The Adventure Awaits...

Instagram

I don't understand your problem... Have you ever heard of plastic bags? Are they available in the US?

https://gallo1.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/soltar.jpg

Those bags, just throw your stinky clothes in there and tie a knot :)

Now place those bags in yout gym bag, and done.

Have you ever tried this with gym clothes? Ten hours later they are pretty gross. 

Battle Log

Have you ever tried this with gym clothes? Ten hours later they are pretty gross. 

Put them in a plastic bag and then inside a gym bag. Leave the gym bag zipped up all day. Then in the evening wash your clothes. Adding white vinegar to the water helps. You might also try rolling the sweaty gym clothes up in your wet shower towel before putting it in the plastic bag.

• Like 1

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Put them in a plastic bag and then inside a gym bag. Leave the gym bag zipped up all day. Then in the evening wash your clothes. Adding white vinegar to the water helps. You might also try rolling the sweaty gym clothes up in your wet shower towel before putting it in the plastic bag.

This could work, if you've got a washer/dryer at home. Not so much if you use a laundromat.

I get my runs in at lunch, and I haven't found that stinky clothes are much if an issue. If I open up my gym bag and dig around through it, I can smell my clothes, but when my bag is closed there's no smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This could work, if you've got a washer/dryer at home. Not so much if you use a laundromat.

Having done this kind of thing before...no, no it doesn't. I'm honestly surprised anyone suggested it.

I get my runs in at lunch, and I haven't found that stinky clothes are much if an issue. If I open up my gym bag and dig around through it, I can smell my clothes, but when my bag is closed there's no smell.

It may not be a problem, just trying to avoid it becoming one due to poor planning or inattention.

Battle Log

Having done this kind of thing before...no, no it doesn't. I'm honestly surprised anyone suggested it.

Good to know before I attempt it! (Although I probably won't have my own eager and dryer for quite a while yet)

It may not be a problem, just trying to avoid it becoming one due to poor planning or inattention.

For sure. Better not to be know as the stinky guy haha [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you rinse your clothes in the shower at the gym as you're showering? They'll be damp when you get home but the damp smell will wash out when you launder them properly.

I'm also wondering about this. I will be swimming most of the days so I will definitely rinse my trunks out but I was debating this for a sweaty shirt. 

Battle Log

Do you mean like a full sized dryer or do they make some special mini swimsuit dryer that some gyms have?

I'll have to investigate this when I go in tomorrow.

The ones that I've seen are a little mini one that holds one swimsuit at a time. Put in your swimsuit, press the lid down, and it spin dries it.

Like this, mounted on the wall, usually by the shower area (assuming access to the pool is through the showers, that's the standard setup in these parts)

Extractor_SuitMate%20-%20Category.jpg

The ones that I've seen are a little mini one that holds one swimsuit at a time. Put in your swimsuit, press the lid down, and it spin dries it.

Like this, mounted on the wall, usually by the shower area (assuming access to the pool is through the showers, that's the standard setup in these parts)

Extractor_SuitMate%20-%20Category.jpg

That's super interesting. I will definitely look into this. This could solve the stinky gym clothes problem should I choose to lift. I could rinse my shirt and chuck it in there.

Battle Log

I probably owe an update on this. I've spent a few weeks hitting the gym before work.

• Bag - This wasn't something I really thought about but I've found that my backpack is the ideal bag. I tried a gym bag but it's bigger than I like and the backpack holds my food and clothes just fine
  • Locker - My gym didn't turn out to have rentable lockers which is fine because I didn't feel like stopping by again on my way out
  • Towels - I bought a couple YogaRat microfleece towels on Amazon and love them. I need to get a couple more. They take up less than 1/4 the space that my normal bath towel takes up but work just about as well.
  • Odor - This was my big concern in creating this thread. There is an odor. My solution is largely to just keep the clothes in the bag with the towel on top and the bag closed. That seems to limit it and so far my bag hasn't taken on the odor itself but that is a risk.
  • Like 2

Battle Log