Stretching my wings

Good to hear from you. So you moved? ewwww I hate those. On the bright side you now have a wood stove. I'm so jealous. They aren't that hard to operate you'll see :)

WOOD STOVE. That sounds so cozy!

Thanks! the wood stove is quite awesome! My excellent husband showed me how to start the fire and also how to keep it going. Turns out I'm not that handy at getting it started but I'm not too bad at raking coals and adding firewood :) the house/cottage got so warm at times we had to open the windows! Was so nice though...

Moving doesn't really bother me anymore as I've done so much of it over the last number of years. Its made me very good at packing and also helps keep our items to a minimum. I like it that way. More attached to the moments we share together than things we might have. For example, we watched a pair of bald eagles fishing in the river behind our place this past week :) had never seen that before! Thankfully my job allows me to live anywhere I want (so long as it's within reasonable proximity to an airport), so who knows what might come next; what we'll see or where we'll go! Adventure awaits!

• Like 2

"What do you fear?" "A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them and all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire." ~ The Two Towers

Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway. ~ Earl Nightingale

Moving doesn't really bother me anymore as I've done so much of it over the last number of years. Its made me very good at packing and also helps keep our items to a minimum. I like it that way. More attached to the moments we share together than things we might have. For example, we watched a pair of bald eagles fishing in the river behind our place this past week :) had never seen that before! Thankfully my job allows me to live anywhere I want (so long as it's within reasonable proximity to an airport), so who knows what might come next; what we'll see or where we'll go! Adventure awaits!

Hmm. we might be twins. >.>

Some part of me has moved every two years since I was 12. It was either a city, a school, or a home, but without fail, I have  moved. I don't really enjoy the packing part, but I love nesting in a new place; it's like, how do I make this new place a home? I love that it has kept our stuff minimal. The living room furniture is two chairs, the TV, TV stand, and a side table. It's nice. :-)

• Like 2

Hmm. we might be twins. >.>

Some part of me has moved every two years since I was 12. It was either a city, a school, or a home, but without fail, I have  moved. I don't really enjoy the packing part, but I love nesting in a new place; it's like, how do I make this new place a home? I love that it has kept our stuff minimal. The living room furniture is two chairs, the TV, TV stand, and a side table. It's nice. :-)

Exactly!

We just might be twins. I have moved every two years or less since I was 17. Our living room furniture is also tv (on folding table), two armchairs and a couple tv tables. I can honestly say less is more - it is nice!

• Like 1

"What do you fear?" "A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them and all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire." ~ The Two Towers

Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway. ~ Earl Nightingale

Wishing this was me right now... instead... back to work...

tumblr_magbv4Cecs1rcd0wwo1_500.jpg

• Like 3

I found you too! I think...Do you have a challenge thread too?

Exactly!
We just might be twins. I have moved every two years or less since I was 17. Our living room furniture is also tv (on folding table), two armchairs and a couple tv tables. I can honestly say less is more - it is nice!

I haven't been so regular on time frames, but between 18 and 30 (now) I've lived in 4 US states (moved a few times within Massachusetts too) and 3 countries (USA, Ukraine, and now Germany).

Less certainly is more :) 

• Like 2

In Pursuit Of...Life, Love and Happiness

Level 2 Amazon

[sTR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 2 | WIS 6 | CHA 6]

Weight Loss from 225 to 175

20%
20%

Inch Loss Goals 2016: 20 Total Inches (Hips, Waist, L Bicep, L Thigh): 

7.5%
7.5%

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Character Page

Challenges: 1, 2, 3

I found you too! I think...Do you have a challenge thread too?

I haven't been so regular on time frames, but between 18 and 30 (now) I've lived in 4 US states (moved a few times within Massachusetts too) and 3 countries (USA, Ukraine, and now Germany).

Less certainly is more :)

Aww :) glad you're here!!

Yes I do have a challenge thread http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/76404-lady-hawkonward-and-upward-aiming-to-soar/page-2#entry1779370

(Enter full link from non computer)

I'm excited to settle down (eventually) but I also wonder how I'll like that.

I'm not sure I ever want to settle down ... I like the adventure and experiences of moving around. Thankfully my other half does too! And having few belongings definitely makes me happier I've found. Maybe one day I'll find a place I never want to leave, but it isn't yet.

• Like 1

wow... self realization craziness this week! a little daunting and overwhelming... but feels like steps in the right direction.

large.gif

tumblr_n4fuvkXKfL1txtztvo1_500.gif

So now I'm finding more about who I am and what I really want out of life! And the realizations are both exciting and terrifying...

This challenge hasn't been the best for me as far as success on the particular challenges go (still sitting at about a 50/50 on those) but there has been definite progress in figuring out more who I am and what I want. 

sliver-linings-playbook.gif

These were my thoughts earlier... and is still true

but...

today was full of really good highs followed by really bad lows... why do I have to hit both extremes in one day! Things were going so well... and then they got super frustrating! I made one wrong move and did something true to my old habits that I'm trying to change, and I got called out on it. I've been making good progress in some ways, and am doing alright, but then when that one person who knows me best pushes my button... I fall right back to where I was (well, maybe not that far... but it feels awful). I know this is an area for fitness, but right now my mind fitness is one of the areas that needs immediate and intense work. 

I have a long ways to go... in a lot of different areas... and the journey feels quite daunting at the moment

Mini workout to prove to myself that I could

Push-ups from knees: 10, 10, 10, 10

Squats: 20, 20, 20

Used the techniques from the article Pat sent me and felt I had my best push-up form ever! Thanks Pat!! Since I could do this many from my knees, thinking I should escalate to regular ones. Start with few and work my way up.

Should do planks again too... Or maybe some variations of them. Also think my squats need a bit more challenge but I'm not quite sure how yet.

I started back in to myfitnesspal today. Thought I had things under control there, but this last couple months of not using it and I've noticed a significant stall in my progress. I know I don't have a lot of time to do the workouts I want, so at the very least I can watch what I put in my mouth, and thereby it's still progress. 

Calories in... Calories out...

although sometimes I'm almost certain this is true...

calories-funny.jpg

Thankfully I haven't gotten too far off track, so getting back into this focus should be good. 

I'm also going to continue with my relaxation meditation and "me-time" lunch breaks. Been finding them a good change. Still isn't the easiest to put myself first, but I'm slowly getting there.

Goal is to be this relaxed (and if you haven't seen the video you'll have to check it out!)

bathing-bunny-youtube.jpg

And also going to aim for workouts of some sort... quantity and details to be determined yet, but I know I feel so much better when I'm hooked on fitness! Just need to sort out my priorities and know that I'm not going to be able to do everything, so need to work into this better than I have. Some sorting out details, so will get back to that...

I have a lot to work on in a lot of different areas. So going to keep plodding along, after all, if Frodo can make it to Mordor and save the world, the least I can do is keep moving forward on my journey to save myself :) Onward and upward!

I know... I'm mixing LOTR and Narnia there... but I love them both! Two of my favourite authors and favourite stories!

Tolkien-Lewis-Aslan-And-Wraith.jpg

Narnia of the Ring!

16cd7d60fdb9b281ea74dc0b9dadd352.jpg

I agree with you that keeping the calories you eat under control will help, especially if you can't burn as many calories as you'd like.

Some me-time, some meditation and good feeding is more than what many do so I say you are on track :)

• Like 1

My Battle Log

Challenges 1, 2,

Escape the Matrix Quest

Those are challenges I couldn't complete during previous 6 Week Challenges. While they won't be my focus for the next 6WC, I am keeping them here until I complete them. I WILL complete them.

Push ups challenge (3 sets of 30)

50%
50%

Freaking pull ups challenge (10 consecutive pushups)

64%
64%

Narnia of the Ring!

16cd7d60fdb9b281ea74dc0b9dadd352.jpg

I agree with you that keeping the calories you eat under control will help, especially if you can't burn as many calories as you'd like.

Some me-time, some meditation and good feeding is more than what many do so I say you are on track :)

That pic is fantastic :D haha

Bit of an update...

Have been much more concious of what I'm eating. This week I started a "no food past 6pm". So far it's been pretty good (other than a couple boiled eggs I had after my last workout).

Been aiming to spend my lunches on my own and doing a 20 min relaxation meditation. 2 weeks ago went really well, last week not at all and this week is on shaky ground. I've missed more than I've done, so definitely room for improvement.

Started workouts this week too (keep in mind a week for me starts on a Tues).

Here's to date so far...

Feb 10:

18 burpees in 2 min (just basic - from standing, squat down, jump out to plank, back in and stand)

Squats - 25, 25, 25, 25

Lunges (per side) 15, 15, 15, 15

End with plank to max: 40 sec

Feb 11:

21 burpees in 2 min

Crunches - 25, 25, 25, 25 (may look at alternative. These are working alright but not sure if most effective)

Leg lifts - 15, 15, 15 (oiy... these are tough)

Side leg lift (per side) - 15, 15, 15

Donkey kicks - 15, 15, 15

End with plank to max: 50 sec

Definitely have some DOMS today, but still aiming to repeat Feb 10 workout tomorrow. Will see how it goes!

Water intake has been moderate to low recently. Need to bring that back up again too.

Been thinking a lot about how I use this, and it has occurred to me that thus is the closest I've ever come to journaling. It is currently the best I have for seeing my progress. I was very tempted for a bit to no longer use this as its been said to me many times that when you say what you've done or what you plan to do, and then receive response (esp praise and congrats) from people, that your brain gets enough of the "feel good" response that you no longer have the drive to continue. I do not want that to happen, so part of me wants to keep everything to myself. However, that means I should journal to document my progress for myself because it's so hard to see moment to moment. Which brings me full circle!!

Therefore I will keep journaling for now, if nothing more than to build the sustainable habit of fitness (more specifically diet and exercise)

Also have thought a lot about the monthly challenges and right now with me incredibly different work vs home environment I do not feel they are benefitting me. So I will continue to post in my battle log... After all, I really do feel I'm fighting a battle!! And I intend to win.

Today:

Food intake was moderate, healthy, but still pushing the total calorie level a bit. Pleased that I managed to completely avoid the sweets today (other than a bit of sugar in my coffee and honey in my night-time tea). Was super tempted by the options in the cafeteria (they make such good treats here!) but told myself the long term negatives are not worth the short term taste buds.

Exercise:

Forgot to do my burpees, so will have to pick them up agin tomorrow and continue to see how much I can do in 2 min.

Had a great warmup today! Felt all limbered up for squat. Still struggling to finish all the lunges, but made it to a full repeat of Feb 10 :) pretty happy with that (soreness and all ;) )

Squats: 25, 25, 25, 25

Lunges: 15, 15, 15, 15

End with plank: 60 sec (happy with my progression here!)

• Like 1

Feb 13:

So just wanted to crawl into bed at the end of the day today! Had absolutely no desire to do my workout except that I promised myself I wouldn't miss a day (and I really don't want to disappoint myself!). So even though I had stretched out on the bed, I pushed myself to get back up and complete my routine. By the time I reached the second rep I was already happy that I did :)

I'm not getting to sleep as early as I'd like as a result of working out in the evening, but I find that my sleep is more sound, so I guess it's working out alright. Will have to keep that in the back of my mind and see if it becomes a bigger issue when my workouts get more involved.

Exercise:

22 burpees in 2 min

Cruches: 25, 25, 25, 25

Leg Raises: 15, 15, 15 (these last few are still tough! but getting better)

Side leg raises (each side): 15, 15, 15

Bird-Dog (each side): 15, 15, 15

End with plank: 60 sec 

• Like 1

Feb 14:

24 burpees in 2 min

Squats: 25, 25, 25, 25

Lunges: 15, 15, 15, 15

Finish with plank: 70 sec

Wasn't quite as uniform of a workout as there were several interruptions during it. Completed each set but had a longer rest time between sets 1 and 2. Feeling better though, DOMS are hardly a factor now (took less time than I thought it would).

Planning on keeping this routine another week and the changing it up next work cycle.

I don't want to...I really don't want to! A workout seems like so much work tonight! Just want to shower and bed. But I know from my own experience that getting it done is worth it. Still, lying on the bed feels so right! Feeling very tired today and might have a touch of sickness coming on :( (there's been a real bad bug going around that I've managed to avoid all week - and no one wants to be sick on their days off!)

... Sigh... Well, rolling out of bed now to get done what I need to do. The results will be worth it after all, and to get the results I have to put in the effort!

Well I made it!!! Did the whole workout (except forgot to plank at the end)

Feb 15:

24 burpees in 2 min (although the last two almost didn't make it!)

Crunches: 25, 25, 25, 25

Leg raises: 15, 15, 15 (still struggling on the last set and want to do this with less arm bracing and straighter legs. Definitely room to improve)

Side leg raises (each side): 15, 15, 15

Bird-dog (each side): 15, 15, 15

I feel the tendon in the back of my knee on the left leg each time I do the extends and return (specifically on the return) and I'm not sure exactly why. It doesn't hurt, but something to be cautious of and I should do a little more research and reading.

All in all its been a good week. Tomorrow is travel day so not much chance for anything. But aiming to keep the positive trends I started this week going! Working on becoming awesome!

• Like 1

Wow... what a summer! 

Adventures.... definitely! 

Change of lifestyle... in some ways

Fitness win... not so much

Still feeling like I've fallen off the wagon and having serious trouble getting back up. I want to succeed but keep getting mired in my own quicksand

Image result for gif indiana jones quicksand

Been having a lot of trouble in finding motivation... or something to kick-start me... or just get me going... or something! Frustrated at myself and lack of progress is not helping the situation. Instead, I seem to be on a merry-go-round clinging to a rail unwilling to jump off.

Cheezburger dogs corgis merry go rounds

Guess checking in here is a start... 

So my new mantras come from the book "The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz

1. Be impeccable with your word

2. Don't take anything personally

3. Don't make assumptions

4. Always do your best

Image result for the four agreements

If I can strive to live by these each day maybe I can escape the thing in my head that seems to be holding me back... Maybe I can find a way to truly accept who I am and move forward... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Koaladle said:

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

POST A CHALLENGE POST A CHALLENGE WE CAN GET FIT TOGATHAAAAAR

Haha :D

Do you participate in the 4-week challenges? Or just create yours on the Koaladle post (the one I follow most closely!)? I like your narrowing things down to small goals. I'm way too big picture (know what I want ultimately) but am too far away from that right now for it to be even remotely realistic. So I need to narrow down into more achievable goals. Plus my work life means I basically live 2 lives (...what happens at work, which ends up being more regimented and planned... vs... what happens at home, which ends up being more spontaneous and edges more to the relaxing...). Guess I've got to do some serious thinking and create some of these small goals... then put them together into a challenge that you can help hold me accountable for! (yikes!)

• Like 1

I decided I wanted to have all my progress, whether I move forward or backward, to be in one place. That way, I can track everything in one place instead of losing my threads with website updates or whatever. Plus, someone can go all the way to the beginning and say "wow, no kidding, you really were big but you took the time and put forth the effort to get fit". It's a personal preference. 

Have you ever heard of half splitting? It's a technique for troubleshooting to narrow the location of an issue. You take the problem, then split the system in half and focus on the half where the issue is likely to be. You take that half and split it, and so on, until the problem is solved. Do the same for your goals! Come up with a reasonable goal for where you want to be a year from now, then split it in half to have a 6 month goal. Do it again for a 3 month, and again for a 6 week goal OR split that three ways for your first three months. Depending on your progress, you can re-evaluate your 12 month goal. Your first challenge back should be REALLY EASY. The whole purpose of the first challenge is to get used to awareness and then shout it out to the world--am I getting water, eating my greens, moving around? Have I meditated? Why am I stressed? HEY GUESS WHAT THIS IS WHAT I DID/DIDN'T DO AND WHY! Get emotionally invested in a couple of people (hai! <3) so that you keep coming back to check on them and let them check on you. You might have some inspiring words for someone, but then look at yourself and realize you need them too; hey, my baby steps are tiny but I'm creating good habits and all effort that goes into that reinforcement is important! 

Anyway, take the day to narrow your focus and I will follow you where ever you choose to post. :) 

• Like 1

Definitely going to continue posting here... I like the idea of keeping things together and also not loosing track of where I've been (I don't have time to get lost in different threads right now).

The idea of half splitting is intriguing... I'm going to have to dig deeper into that one. Therefore, I do not yet issue my first challenge... not quite yet. I need to make sure it's achievable and realistic (not get too far ahead of myself). So... first challenge pending...

Thanks for your support! I accept your offer of being a person I get emotionally invested with (which you should feel quite honoured with since I don't typically get emotionally invested). Regardless, I cannot give up. No matter what's been holding me back (to be figured out) it doesn't need to keep me back. Onward!

Image result for onward!

• Like 1

Ok... (deep breath) 

Time to take a page from Koaladle's book and focus on just this next week. Still needing to work on the half splitting thing... but for the time being, here's my goals for the next week:

1. Meditate each day (ie. use 20min relaxation app that I've used before)

2. Do squats on at least 5 of the 7 days I'm off (any movement is a start, right!)

3. Don't give in to the sweets! No sugar after 6pm.

Every adventure starts with the first steps! Here's to the new adventure...

Image result for step out your door

• Like 1