"No, no! The adventures first, explanations take such a dreadful time."

Herein is the battle log of an adventurer...

Who am I?

My background is here. I work as IT helpdesk support. I'm 25, male and bisexual. I love reading (including fanfiction), watching old British comedies and being a left-wing political activist. If I could be anyone from history it would be Oscar Wilde because I admire the hell out of him.

Class

I'm classing myself as an Adventurer because I have a mix of interests:

• Assassin - a lot of these goals look really fun - long term I'd like to be able to rock climb like I could as a kid and at least attempt parkour (although the idea scares the crap out of me).
  • Monk - I'd like to excel and level up in Karate.
  • Ranger - I'd love to be able to do pull ups and burpees because they just look so damn cool. I'm interested in strength goals that don't compromise agility and flexibility.
  • Druid - I'd like to learn how to meditate (to achieve a sense of calm and control) and do yoga (to get more flexible, and help my muscles recover from strength workouts)
  • Scout - these quests don't really look interesting to me, but the overall idea of improving stamina and endurance does - perhaps I can do this by levelling up in other classes. If not, I'll suck it up and try the Scout quests. I do love swimming, so perhaps I can start there.

Overall I'm looking for stamina, control, strength and flexibility - in that order.

Regarding my battle log. I've been keeping a journal of these kind of stats anyway, as my psychologist Trevor suggested it to help me quit alcohol (18 days sober!) but I thought I might post them here for accountability. (And in typical nerd fashion I quantified the reasons why I'm keeping a journal and added it to my list of long term goals.) 

Long Term Goals

1. I will be someone who has a repertoire of 28-56 healthy meals (2-4 weeks of lunches and dinners), and a list of protein shake ingredients with ratios.
  2. I will be someone who cooks healthy meals every week, so that I can eat healthy and allergy-free every meal, and I no longer eat fast food.
  3. I will be somebody that is stronger, has more stamina, is 73kg and has visible muscles! Somebody that will try new forms of exercise, and stick to my goals.
  4. I will be someone who keeps levelling up my life using Nerd Fitness.
  5. I will be someone who keeps a journal every day to record my successes, any stumbles, to keep my goals and steps in mind every day, and to draw scientific conclusions informing future steps and goals and to show what I need to ask or talk to Trevor about.

Academy and Quests

Started NerdFitness Academy: 05/10/2015

Current Level: 5 (XP 130/300)

Mindset Quests

• Completed, except "Customise Your Batcave" which is in progress.

Nutrition Quests

• Levelled up to NF Diet Level 4 on 19/10/2015
  • Defeated the Sugar Beast
  • Conquered the Caffeine Challenge
  • Attempted "Now That’s What I Call High Quality H2O" but wasn't able to drink 3L of water for 5 days running - 1 day was uncomfortable enough what with peeing every hour or so in the afternoon, so I'm shelving that quest as "not for me". (One reason I might have had difficulty is that my salt intake is quite low).

Fitness Quests:

• Completed the Recruit Workout on 18/10/2015
  • Completed Bodyweight Level 1 Workout A today.

Measurements

On 05/10/2015 I weighed 124kg.

I didn't have a tape measure or callipers when I started, so my measurements had to wait until a week later on the 11/10/2015.

11/10/2015: 122kg
18/10/2015: 120kg

Measurements on 11/10/2015
Neck: 38.5cm
Chest: 100cm
Left Bicep: 42.5cm
Right Bicep: 42cm
Waist: 116.75cm
Hips: 131cm
Left Thigh: 79cm
Right Thigh: 81cm
Left Calf: 51cm
Right Calf: 51cm

Body Fat (don't know how accurate I was with this)

Jackson/Pollock 3 Caliper Method
Tricep: 26
Suprailiac: 50
Thigh:53

Body Fat %: 41.95
Kgs of Body Fat: 51.18
Lean Body Weight: 70.82

Food

Been keeping a food log since 05/10/2015 (I won't bore everyone by backposting it). I've been attempted to eat healthier, and since I'm starting from a situation of eating out most meals, that's been a challenge for me in the past. This time, instead of getting frustrated about not being able to do things perfectly (or collecting underpants) I've just decided to do the best I can and not care about the rest.

I've swapped out an unhealthy breakfast (or none) for a breakfast smoothie every morning since 03/10/2015 - it isn't strictly paleo because I use soy milk (I'm allergic to dairy) + brown rice and yellow pea protein powder, but it's pretty damn healthy.

I've challenged myself to make two new healthy recipes (with notes) each week, which I've been able to do - I've tested 4 healthy recipes so far.

Once I get 14 recipes, the plan is to start increasing the amount of meals I will cook for the next week (currently at the two I'm experimenting with), by one each week. I'm hoping that both by being familiar with the recipes (and rewriting them in my style) and practice, I'll get faster and more efficient at preparing food, so that I'll be able to do so quickly and efficiently. My life is fairly time-poor so this is a priority for me. To improve my skills I am booked in to do a "Back to Basics" cooking class for 1.5hrs * 6 weeks starting on the 4th November.

Food log for today

Breakfast
Smoothie
62g paw paw
60g strawberries
86g cos lettuce
250g soy
40g protein powder

Lunch
Leftovers from last nights dinner, which was made by my mother* and it was quite healthy - a bunch of veggies, and a homemade meatball.

Dinner
Thai Food - Tom Kha Soup, which is reasonably healthy.

Exercise

I've been exercising every day since 03/10/2015, mostly on an elliptical while working through the Mindset and Nutrition quests (yes I know elliptical - boo, but better than nothing). Unfortunately it went bung on Monday 19th so I've been forced to accelerate my goals (I'm not going to set foot in a gym). I'm now going to go to Karate next Monday night (I did Karate as a kid and enjoyed it). And in the meantime have been taking 20min walks in my lunch break - not the best exercise since I do a reasonable amount a bit of walking already but better than nothing).

The plan is that my strength training days will be Sunday and Thursday, and on I'll go to Karate on Monday night, and when I'm a bit more fit I'll go on Monday and Wednesday nights. (I have the option to go for two sessions each night and/or a session on Saturday morning as well later on when I want to stretch myself). On the days I don't go to Karate and don't strength train I'll practice my Kata.

Here are my stats for the Bodyweight Level 1 Workout A I did today.

Workout Level 1 - A
10 wall pushups

10 bodyweight squats
:5 plank / :10 knee plank

:30 jumping jacks

10 incline pushups (bookcase)
10 bodyweight squats
:3 plank / :12 knee plank
:31 jumping jacks

10 incline pushups (bookcase)
10 bodyweight squats
:0:15 knee plank
:20 jumping jacks

*This requires some explanation - I bought a house with my parents back in 2009. They live downstairs (separate entrance). This made sense for a bunch of reasons including that I didn't (and don't) earn enough to easily pay off a house loan on my own, mum is partially disabled, and my parents being poor which meant that they couldn't get a loan without me and couldn't really afford to pay rent without me either (plus what would happen when they retire?). Over the years we developed a habit of spending time together over dinner some days a week. With mum needing to feel useful, and my (secret) alcoholism previously being debilitating, she has been the one that cooks it.

Level 0 Faun Adventurer

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Dumbledore

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

Intro | Battle Log1st 6wc

Weight Loss Goal - Starting Weight: 124kg, Goal: 73kg, Weight Loss Required: 51kg total

16.6%
16.6%

Healthy Meals Repertoire - Stage 1, Learn 28 meals

35.7%
35.7%

19 days sober.

Breakfast

137g paw paw

40g protein powder

200mL soy milk

1 cube frozen lime juice and water

2 stalks celery

I was in a rush and didn't get to measure the celery. I had to run for the train though, so that was probably good :)

My protein smoothie recipe ratios - if anyone wants to use or improve them please go ahead. :)

Water

2 * 600mL

Lunch

Chicken Massaman Curry with white rice from the refec - I only ate half the rice though.

4pm Black coffee (to stay awake)

Dinner

Subway 6" Steak on White (no cheese, no sauce, avo, tomato, cucumber, capsicum, spinach) 1517kJ. Not great nutrition but not the worst.

2nd Dinner

I should have classed myself as a hobbit :) but this is what happens when I eat white bread (or white rice/pasta etc.). I had healthy veggies and pork though when I got home.

Two glasses of 2 tbsp juice to one cup water.

I haven't been for any organised exercise today, although I have walked at least 30min during the day.

Level 0 Faun Adventurer

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Dumbledore

Weight Loss Goal - Starting Weight: 124kg, Goal: 73kg, Weight Loss Required: 51kg total

16.6%
16.6%

35.7%
35.7%

Following your log :) Keep up the good work.

Also, I'm afraid I don't know how good it is for paleo as I've not been following a paleo diet (I'm 99% veggie), but I can hugely recommend the three 'hairy dieters' cookbooks for healthy, low calorie, vegetable heavy DELICIOUS and easy to cook meals. The first book even has a section on making healthy home made versions of takeaway food. My parents literally use the books for five dinners a week every night of the year. 

• Like 1

Thanks for following! :) Had a quick Google and it looks like a lot of their recipes would be adaptable. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Level 0 Faun Adventurer

16.6%
16.6%

35.7%
35.7%

20 days sober!

Breakfast

Smoothie (Didn’t have time to measure accurately this morning.)

paw paw

cos lettuce

protein powder

250mL soy milk

3 strawberries

Lunch

Steak

Salad (forgot to ask for no dressing)

Vegetables (did ask for this instead of chips - embarrassing but made me feel good)

Dinner

Homemade chicken and veggie dish

Drinks

Chai tea (no milk or sugar)

2 * glasses of 2-3 tbsp juice to 1 glass water

1 glass water

Exercise

Not much - did a warm up then 10min intensive Karate practice. Lesson for next time is that I can do more than I think I can, just stop for a few minutes before continuing. Tomorrow I have part B of my first bodyweight level 1 workout though, so looking forward to that.

Mindset

A bit melancholy. I worked through a few misappropriated guilt issues.

Decided henceforth that everything I do will be either useful or fun (or both). If it isn’t either - I’m not going to do it. It’s a habit I’m just starting to build, and I’m looking forward to implementing it. 

I’m a bit bored tbh. My mind craves new challenges. I’m going to work out goals and steps so that I can fill my non-fun time usefully. As always the challenge will be to not jump in boots and all, but take it one step at a time, and not try to change too many things at once. i’m working on that.

Level 0 Faun Adventurer

16.6%
16.6%

35.7%
35.7%

21 days sober!

Weighed myself this morning = 118kg, 2kg less than last week!

Exercise

Did my warm up. Still can't keep my heels on the floor doing 'Moon the Sky', but getting closer. Noticed I can nearly reach my ankles on 'Hip Circles with Toe Touches' which is exciting. Only manage :30 of jumping jacks at a time, but I'll work on that.

Workout B

10 Inverted Rows - can't get my butt off the ground. I'll have to get some dumbbells when I get the money and do 'One Armed Dumbbell Rows' instead.

10 Assisted Split Squats each leg
10 Close Grip Pushup - can't do even the easiest version of this, 'Knee Tricep Pushups'. Replaced temporarily with Incline Pushups but I don't think I'm working the right muscles. Have to find a variation.
10 Step Ups onto a chair
10 Reverse Crunches
:30 Jump Rope

10 Inverted Rows - ditto.

10 Close Grip Pushup Incline Pushup
10 Step Ups onto a chair
10 Reverse Crunches

10 Inverted Rows - ditto.

10 Close Grip Pushup Incline Pushup
10 Step Ups onto a chair
10 Reverse Crunches

Was too tired to do a proper cool down - got to the exercises requiring getting on the floor and went, 'nuh uh'. Next time :)

Breakfast

Smoothie:

30g strawberry

110g watermelon

67g swiss chard

250mL soy milk

40g protein powder

Didn't get around to eating lunch

Dinner

Paleo tacos

Mindset

Proud. I spent a lot of today doing useful things. Working out, cleaning, cooking, laundry, making goal lists. I gave myself some breaks too, which was good. I tend to drive myself too hard. But life isn't a race, or a to do list. I'm working on remembering that.

Mini-rant

I left internet radio on while I was cleaning. Jesus, doesn't anyone sing about anything but relationships? For the most part they aren't making them sound appealing, I can say that.

Level 0 Faun Adventurer

16.6%
16.6%

35.7%
35.7%

Breakfast
Smoothie
40g protein powder
200mL soy milk
47g mango
61g swiss chard
70g strawberry

Lunch
Left-over paleo tacos

Dinner
Curried Broccoli Soup

Workout
None unfortunately. Today was supposed to be my first karate lesson in years, but I did something stupid and left my belt behind. It's intimidating enough walking into a new situation without being only half dressed so I've put it off til Wednesday. Right now I'm feeling disappointed, and frustrated with myself which isn't a useful emotion so I'm trying to get it back under control. I did well in eating today - everything healthy. I did my best to prepare for karate, I went over the list in my head several times, I put a reminder in my phone for last night, I put the bag handle on the door so I wouldn't forget it. The mistake wasn't my or anyone's fault. These things happen sometimes. It was a tiny mistake that anyone could have made. I need to be patient with myself. If I make this mistake again, then I can get frustrated, but not now.

Level 0 Faun Adventurer

16.6%
16.6%

35.7%
35.7%

Don't beat yourself up!!! You're doing so well. Think of where you were a month ago, and then realise you are already making super-human sized steps towards who you want to be. Like you say, you did your best and these things happen. Think back to feeling proud and how many useful and incredible things you have done this week.

And I totally get you on how many songs are written about relationships. This is why I like Prog Rock. 

Keep going! A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner. 

• Like 1

Thanks PotentialSlayer, I think I really needed those kind words this morning. I swear I should make a comedy about my life sometimes. This morning is a case in point. Sometime yesterday I absentmindedly agreed to let my phone "update tonight", so it rebooted and didn't wake me up. Luckily I went to bed early and work panic stricken at 7:25 and started rushing around like a headless chicken with rabies. Needing to leave at 7:48 my workout went out the window again *sigh* (I can't do it tonight either because I won't be home until 11:15pm). Then I tried to make myself breakfast very fast and ruined my spatula. I tried to drink it anyway but after spotting out the first few tiny pieces of whisked plastic I've vetoed that. :P Fortunately I keep a paleo protein bar in my bag for desperation. Their redeeming value is that they're disgusting (kind of like snozzcumbers), which means I only eat them when absolutely necessary. :) Still, my day can only go up from here!

• Like 1

Level 0 Faun Adventurer

16.6%
16.6%

35.7%
35.7%

Also I'm totally going to write down that saying somewhere prominent - it's a good reminder!

• Like 1

Level 0 Faun Adventurer

16.6%
16.6%

35.7%
35.7%

Breakfast
Paleo Bar

Lunch
Satay Lamb with white rice from the refec (but I only ate a little of the rice)
Half a slice of watermelon

5:30pm Long Black

Dinner
Subway 6" chicken schnitzel, spinach, avo, cucumber, tomato, capsicum (no sauce or cheese)
Long black

I really have to do something about Tuesday dinner times.

Planned to take a walk in my lunch break but forgot about it in the wake of a shitty day at work.

Level 0 Faun Adventurer

16.6%
16.6%

35.7%
35.7%

Hey man

I'm very impressed by your log and how well you are getting into that accountability stuff! Rereading your goals makes me realize we are on very similar journey, fighting similar battles. Even if i never had an alcoholic addiction and would not dare to compare too much but I know my addiction to eating called for radical approaches that involved emotional healing as I can see you've started to tackle.

You're making an amazing start with your sobriety and weight goals, to say the least! Don't forget to be kind on your self if you happen to stumble because trials are all about figuring the next steps and getting clever and stronger . It's pretty obvious you have all that in you!

Oh and one advice if I may : you may want to shorten your meal list keeping it simple and boring ! I know it's strange to tell but there's a point where you'll have to figure what's working and what's not and it's easier if you have a short list...

plus I found it quite stressing to choose meals and found it reassuring to rely on a few favourites I could go eyes closed with. But your goal of trying new recipes on a regular basis is excellent and a great way to gain confidence and level up as a kitchen bad ass!

• Like 1

Winwaloeus, level 3 ranger

STATS : STR 7 | STA 9 | DEX 2 | CON 9 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

My introduction is Here - My Battle Log is There - 6wc I - 6wc II - 4wc III - 4wc IIII (ongoing)

Main goal : lose excess fat down to 14% (currently, i look roughly like a : 20 to 25 -according to many sites offering pictures for comparison)

current 4wc progress :

Goal 1 : walk !!! (2h27 out of a minimum 12)

20%
20%

Goal 2 : Sprint (1 out of 4)

25%
25%

Goal 3 : Lift (2 out of 12)

20%
20%

Life Goal : History work (3 out of 12 )

25%
25%

Hey Winwaloeus, thanks so much! This accountability thing is good for me in trying to be kind to myself - it's something I struggle with but "saying" what in thinking to someone usually makes me stop and re-evaluate.

Thanks for the advice! The two times I struggle to eat well are a. when I'm hungry - having healthy tasty food immediately available is good then! and unfortunately b. when what I eat is boring. So knowing that about myself I'm building up a bit of a selection. It's easier not to have to use willpower points when I've got something exciting to try :)

Level 0 Faun Adventurer

16.6%
16.6%

35.7%
35.7%

Breakfast
Smoothie
Grapefruit (first time tried - definitely do /not/ like)
Banana
Swiss Chard
Soy milk
Protein powder

Lunch
Chicken
Salad
Little bit of potato

5:00pm Half a Long Black

Dinner
Thai vegetables (bought), meatloaf (mum made)

Workout
First Karate class (in more than a decade)! I'll write more about this in my intro thread.

Level 0 Faun Adventurer

16.6%
16.6%

35.7%
35.7%

Breakfast
Skipped

Lunch
Smoothie
69g banana
61g kale
Small mandarin

Dinner
Salad (no dressing)
Mostly paleo chicken meatloaf

Exercise
None :( I was /going/ to get up early, do a strength workout and go to work early since I had to leave work early to go to the GP. I didn't end up doing either of those things, partially because I was short on sleep and partially because I woke up feeling like I'd been beaten by rocks after karate last night.

But! No excuses tomorrow morning! I will get up and do a Bodyweight workout. Otherwise youse all have a right to chastise me appropriately ;)

Level 0 Faun Adventurer

16.6%
16.6%

35.7%
35.7%

26 days sober!

Breakfast

110g cos lettuce

protein powder

soy milk

85g mixed frozen berries

cinnamon

half a slice of thick-cut leg ham off the bone

Lunch

Szechuan Pork Belly (from the refec)

5:45pm Soy Latte (no sugar)

Dinner

Meatballs, stirfry and salad (grain free)

Workout - A

10 incline from bookcase

15 squats

:15 knee plank

10 incline from bookcase

10 squats

10 incline from bookcase

10 squats / break / 5 squats

Ok, I did it, and it wasn't this huge thing I built it up to be. :) I think I must be getting a little fitter, because it seemed a bit easier. Now I need to to work on form, and keep practising till I can level up the exercises.

• Like 1

Level 0 Faun Adventurer

16.6%
16.6%

35.7%
35.7%

Breakfast

Skipped

Lunch

Smoothie

69g banana

61g kale

Small mandarin

Dinner

Salad (no dressing)

Mostly paleo chicken meatloaf

Exercise

None :( I was /going/ to get up early, do a strength workout and go to work early since I had to leave work early to go to the GP. I didn't end up doing either of those things, partially because I was short on sleep and partially because I woke up feeling like I'd been beaten by rocks after karate last night.

But! No excuses tomorrow morning! I will get up and do a Bodyweight workout. Otherwise youse all have a right to chastise me appropriately ;)

I thing skipping strength training when low on sleep is actually a smart move. You'll find articles on the blog that'll explain why! I think flexibility is key so you always have a plan b to tackle the session you skipped

Envoyé de mon RAINBOW en utilisant Tapatalk

• Like 1

Winwaloeus, level 3 ranger

STATS : STR 7 | STA 9 | DEX 2 | CON 9 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

My introduction is Here - My Battle Log is There - 6wc I - 6wc II - 4wc III - 4wc IIII (ongoing)

Main goal : lose excess fat down to 14% (currently, i look roughly like a : 20 to 25 -according to many sites offering pictures for comparison)

current 4wc progress :

Goal 1 : walk !!! (2h27 out of a minimum 12)

20%
20%

Goal 2 : Sprint (1 out of 4)

25%
25%

Goal 3 : Lift (2 out of 12)

20%
20%

Life Goal : History work (3 out of 12 )

25%
25%

Hey thanks, I didn't realise that :) Next time I'll try to just do some lighter exercise.

Level 0 Faun Adventurer

16.6%
16.6%

35.7%
35.7%

Thanks SevenofSeven! Follow away :) I think it's pretty amazing what you're managing while being a parent of seven! And I think /my/ life is busy. Totally inspirational! (*cough* I might admit some mild profile stalking *cough* ;) )

• Like 1

Level 0 Faun Adventurer

16.6%
16.6%

35.7%
35.7%

Battle Log for 31st October

I was too tired last night to post this.

Breakfast smoothie

Cos lettuce

strawberry

banana

protein powder

soy milk

Lunch

Rump steak skewers and salad (with dressing unfortunately)

Dinner

Paleo meatza (eh, not bad, needs more veggies).

Level 0 Faun Adventurer

16.6%
16.6%

35.7%
35.7%

Just weighed myself and I’m 117.5kg. I admit I’m a bit disappointed. I was hoping for a more dramatic loss than half a kg (yeah, yeah I know, I'm laughing at my hubris too), but I know I need to be patient.

This tells me that I’m still on the right path (I haven’t gained weight) but I need to work harder at my diet and exercise. That’s good. It doesn’t mean I’ve failed, it means my progress has slowed down, so I have the opportunity to re-adjust. I will track better, and exercise more. I will eat more veggies and less meat (I’ve been eating way more than I’m used to anyway because of paleo recipes) and see how I feel. I will also taper off the soy milk in my morning smoothie. I will reassess in a week.

Workout B

10 inverted rows knees bent

10 assisted split squats

10 incline pushups

12 step ups to chair

10 reverse crunches

10 assisted split squats

10 incline pushups/knee tricep pushups

10 step ups to chair

10 reverse crunches

10 assisted split squats

10 incline pushups/knee tricep pushups

10 step ups to chair

10 reverse crunches

The first 1.5 sets flowed much more smoothly than last time, i.e. I didn't keep having to stop to pant in-between until I hit that point :tongue:

I swapped the jumping jacks and reverse crunches on the last set so that I was already on the floor to give myself an even chance of doing at least some of the cool down - and I did! I started from halfway down the second page and went to the end of page 4, then went back and did page 1 and the rest of page 2. :) I think that's the way to do it. It speaks to my state of fitness, but getting onto and off of the floor already feels like exercise lol.

Breakfast
Skipped

Lunch
Smoothie
66g Bok Choy
80g Strawberry
49g Watermelon
Protein powder
water

Snack
Thick slice of ham
1 tomato

Dinner
Roast Pork with Sautéed Beans and Spinach

Less meat does not ever apply to roast pork ;) It's one of the two meats I really love (with lamb chops). But I'm having broccoli soup for dinner tomorrow, so that's on target :)
  • Like 1

Level 0 Faun Adventurer

16.6%
16.6%

35.7%
35.7%

Remember that Rome wasn't built in a day! Weight loss depends on so many things other than whether you've been 'good' or not. You're doing so so well, so don't beat yourself up. Remember how much better small and sustainable change is than short-term dramatic change. Keep your chin up and keep striving to be the best you :) 

• Like 1

Thanks PotentialSlayer - it's good to have the reminder that it's an inexact science :)

Level 0 Faun Adventurer

16.6%
16.6%

35.7%
35.7%

Breakfast - Skipped

Lunch

Smoothie

73g Bok Choy

119g Watermelon

Water

Protein Powder

Dinner

Broccoli Soup

Workout

None. Today is Karate Lesson day but I made a conscious decision not to go in order to deal with some mental health stuff. I'm getting conflicting advice about whether to take meds for my anxiety etc. and so I met with a friend who is bipolar to get some advice. I'm still not absolutely certain which way I'm going to go, but I feel more settled for having spoken to him. I feel residual guilt for not having attended my karate lesson but in this case I had to to prioritise my mental health. I /will/ go next week.

Level 0 Faun Adventurer

16.6%
16.6%

35.7%
35.7%