Still struggling...

I really dont like complaining, and one major issue i discuss with my therapist is the need to tell people im ok when they ask me...and the guilt i feel if i tell them im not doing so well. 

So coming here to say im not doing good, is a little scary/annoying/guilt ridden. 

But im not doing great, ive put on more weight, my back is beginning to hurt a lot after i do any form of mediocre exercise (as in walk into town/housework etc) my lungs ache sometimes, im not sleeping very well, im constantly tired, i feel drained and headachey all the time. 

My diet isnt amazing, but it isnt bad really either. I tend to eat pretty ok. But it could be much cleaner. 

I struggle financially, and chicken is so expensive. It IS cheaper to buy crap, but i dont....i buy good stuff, i just run out quickly and stress about money. 

I crave carbs, im always hungry and then want to snack...

I have had to stop my gym membership due to financial reasons :( 

Im still struggling with alcohol, but ive got better than i was last time i was in here. Ive cut down a lot. 

I just feel im in a massive rut, and i dont know where to turn or what to do, any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance guys xx

Have you spoken to a doctor?

It sounds like it could be a couple of things - Seasonal Affective Disorder, or depression, or an underlying physical medical issue.

I really dont like complaining, and one major issue i discuss with my therapist is the need to tell people im ok when they ask me...and the guilt i feel if i tell them im not doing so well. 

So coming here to say im not doing good, is a little scary/annoying/guilt ridden. 

But im not doing great, ive put on more weight, my back is beginning to hurt a lot after i do any form of mediocre exercise (as in walk into town/housework etc) my lungs ache sometimes, im not sleeping very well, im constantly tired, i feel drained and headachey all the time. 

My diet isnt amazing, but it isnt bad really either. I tend to eat pretty ok. But it could be much cleaner. 

I struggle financially, and chicken is so expensive. It IS cheaper to buy crap, but i dont....i buy good stuff, i just run out quickly and stress about money. 

I crave carbs, im always hungry and then want to snack...

I have had to stop my gym membership due to financial reasons :(

Im still struggling with alcohol, but ive got better than i was last time i was in here. Ive cut down a lot. 

I just feel im in a massive rut, and i dont know where to turn or what to do, any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance guys xx

Well done on having the courage to write an honest post! I feel you re: the need to tell people you're doing okay when you're not. Here in the US, the brutal truth is that people don't always want an honest answer when they ask "How are you" because they actually just mean "Hello," not "Tell me how you're feeling." I think the NF forums are a great place to seek this kind of help because you can be honest not only with us, but with yourself, yet still retain anonymity and privacy. 

AWESOME that you're seeing a professional for help.

You have so much going on it seems like you have a real generalized sense of despondency. This makes it hard to know where to begin to make things better. My advice is to find a single thing that you'd like to improve. Keep it small, because you want it to be achievable. If you'd like to combat back pain, maybe find some exercises that might assist without requiring a gym membership. If you want to fight your carb cravings, find inexpensive sources of protein (beans? peanut butter?) that combat hunger and leave you satisfied longer.

My point is, pick that one thing to work on, not everything at once. Just the one thing. And I'm of the firm opinion that just starting a positive activity is a "win." If you set out to walk two miles and are done after a half mile, it's still a half mile that you might not have walked otherwise. That's a win --- get it done and then come back here to share the victory.

I think one of the values of this forum is that there are not only lots of success stories, but that a good deal of the success stories are preceded by struggles just like yours.

Good luck!

Lou186000
Battle Log: Battling at the Speed of Lou

aaaa42%

Thanks Gogor - i get a little money next week & think i will purchase a pedometer. There are some nice woods near my house that i will aim to get around regulary.

Lou thank you :) the back exercises look good, always wanted to try yoga but 1) i feel im too overweight 2) i cant afford classes 3) i dont have the space at home

Yes think i need substitutes to stop my carb cravings, will try to get more beans/pulses to fill me up, and also peanut butter is always good. 

Thanks so much for responding x

• Like 1