I've had a group of 3 co-workers talking a lot about how fun Fallout is.  Sounds like the kind of game I would easily get sucked into for long periods of time.  Hence why I no longer any gaming consoles.  :)

Also, if my memory serves me right, you were the one that was into New Balance minimalist shoes right?  I bought a pair of Minimus 20v4's on Friday.  Holy crap these things are amazing.  I thought my Chucks were solid comfortable shoes, but they got nothing on these babies.  So much toe room.  

I've had a group of 3 co-workers talking a lot about how fun Fallout is.  Sounds like the kind of game I would easily get sucked into for long periods of time.  Hence why I no longer any gaming consoles.   :)

Also, if my memory serves me right, you were the one that was into New Balance minimalist shoes right?  I bought a pair of Minimus 20v4's on Friday.  Holy crap these things are amazing.  I thought my Chucks were solid comfortable shoes, but they got nothing on these babies.  So much toe room.  

Yep, I love the New Balance Minimus line. Of the two pairs I bought last year, the one you just bought was my preferred pair. I'll be ordering two more pairs really soon.

Have fun on your trip :)

You won't be following worlds much then?

I'll be checking in but I won't be sitting down and watching the stream or anything. I've limited my involvement with the community a bit lately anyway. I don't follow any of the groups or anything. Knowing worlds is out there though, I'll be checking in on you. Depending on what time you lift I may be able to watch you but I'll bet most of the lifts will be extremely early in the morning over here.

I'm also curious to see just which Americans show up.

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

Fallout pretty much ate most of my Friday and Saturday.  And a chunk of Sunday when I got home from work.  It's Elder Scrolls with guns, and I'm having a blast.  I'm slowly figuring out how crafting works, and have a pretty decent arsenal for early into the game.  Now I just need to work on armor.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy your trip. Looking forward to how the trip went.

Thanks. I hope that you had a good holiday as well. 

Last Week

11/24

AM: Dumbells

PM: off

reasonable day, brought my food and ate as I should. 

11/25

AM: off

flying to Portland. Began a weird trend of over eating at meals but only eating 2 meals a day. It didn't wash out perfectly but it appears to have managed over consumption some

11/26

AM: ran 3 miles on the treadmill

Thanksgiving in the US. We had dinner with the family of our friends. It was a really nice time and we enjoyed it. 

11/27

AM: ran the "hill interval" on the treadmill for a half an hour. It was ok. I did 20 minutes or so of machines work

11/28

AM: off

Flew home. Definitely overate this day,

11/29

AM:

Long Cycle 24 kg

3:00 10 rpm

2:00 rest

1:30 10 rpm

3:40 rest

1:00 10rpm

circuit

-jump lunge 10/10

-clap push up 5

-1/2 snatch 24 kg 10/10

x5

Not my best workout but glad to be back home and glad to do it.

Next Week

Monday

AM: LC 20 kg 10:00, Circuit

Tuesday

AM: Barbell work, Squat

PM: Long Circuit

Wednesday

AM: swim

PM: pilates

Thursday

AM: Barbell work, Deadlift

PM: Long Cycle 24 kg 5:00. 5:00 x 3

Friday

Saturday

AM: Barbell work, not quite sure what yet, going to the Y

Sunday

AM: LC 24 kg 3:00, 3:00 x 3 10 rpm, rowing circuit

While on the plane I wrote out (by hand) a crude but detailed workout plan for the coming weeks. I'll work on converting it to digital tonight and share when my planning is done. Tonight's workout showed me that I'm going to need to tinker with the workouts, dialing back a few of them.

My focus for the next three weeks is to practice for my early 2016 push to get my weight where I want it. I doubt I'll make any real progress in that short of a window but it's a good chance to work the kinks out.

I don't have my usual music video and boardgame video today but I'll see what I can come up with for tomorrow.

the week is off to a rough start

Monday: I was really feeling beat up from the Sunday workout so

Long cycle 20 kg 6:30

some meditation and mobility

Tuesday

BW: 217.2

deadlift 140 kg 3 x 5 On the fourth set I was hit with a round of Sloth's Old Man back. I felt it go as I pulled and bailed out before it got bad but there was a little muscle pain left behind

barbell row 60 kg 3x5

Straight leg deadlift 60 kg 3x5

PM: took the evening to recover fromt he back thing

NELA: +

I brought my food to work but there was a big lunch thing and I wasn't sure if I should sit it out or be social. I chose to go and eat there but it turned out to be build your own tacos so I threw meat and veg and guac on my plate and it was good

Wednesday

AM: I opted for hot tub,. steam room and sauna rather than actual swimming. Back is feeling pretty solid right now. Pilates tonight will be good.

The credit is only for the name, not the issue.

Wednesday

NELA: +

Pilates was very good

Back issues were feeling pretty solid after hot tub and pilates

Thursday

NELA: -

AM: sleep in a bit

PM: 

circuit

-plank walk outs 5

-thread the needle 5/5

-windmill 16 kg 5/5

-1 leg, straight legged deadlifts 16kg 5/5

-goblet sqat 16kg 5

10 rounds

15 minutes of headspace

I opted for my first day of skipping the gym in the morning since I started going. I couldn't convince myself that squatting was a good idea with my back still a little tender. The pool is swarmed by a local swim team on Tuesday and Thursday plus I just didn't want to swim.

I got a massage in the afternoon then did the workout I had planned for Thursday anyway.

Friday

AM: swim 500 yards, enjoyed some hot tub time.

I never did music on Monday so here is the video that inspired and all The Darkness playlist during last night's workout:

• Like 1

Ahh I used to be a huuuuge fan of The Darkness when I was 16/17, me and my best friend went to a concert. I can still shout along with the lyrics to most of them :) The singer was/is so delicously ugly.

*Daancing on a friday niight, tudududu.*

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Ahh I used to be a huuuuge fan of The Darkness when I was 16/17, me and my best friend went to a concert. I can still shout along with the lyrics to most of them :) The singer was/is so delicously ugly.

*Daancing on a friday niight, tudududu.*

When I was 16 they were five years from putting out their first album

herbert-the-pervert_family-guy.jpg

This past weekend I attempted to brine a couple chickens. When I was powerlifting I did this pretty often and liked it. It came out really gross this time. The chicken was just straight up salt. I tried to eat it this week for lunch but I have to say I'm really glad to be passed it. I threw out half of it today, I just couldn't stomach the salt-chicken one more time. Surprisingly, so far, so good on the hunger thing. I figured I had sabotaged myself by throwing out about half my protein. It's still possible that I have but holding steady right now.

50:50 on workout tonight. Laura says she wants to do one but I know she had a long day (she got up at 4:30 with me to start her day) so I'd give it 50% at best.

Friday:

NELA: --

Totally ate like an asshole and loved it. We went out for sushi and I had 3 rolls, some edamame and 4 whiskies

Saturday:

NELA: I don't recall

I attempted to work out but Laura got a bit distraught about something and I spent the time with her. What I did get done is:

Circuit

-Burpee

-Lunge

-push ups

-sit out

-air squat

20, 10, 5 in 9:50

I also did try some long cycle but the low back did not feel good in the rack

Sunday:

NELA: so-so

No workout, I spent all morning running around with Laura and just doing things and all afternoon and evening cooking

Tonu gave me a free month of Headspace and I have to say that I'm loving it. I've been enjoying the level two stuff but I've also enjoyed their one off practices. I do feel that there have been a few times where some social happened and defaulted to a way more empathetic and in-the-moment behavior than I might normally. so far, I can't say enough good things.

In other news, work is about to get really interesting. I've been working on taking a very large project from a coworker before she went out on maternity leave. We had about a week more of work we wanted to to do together before she handed it off, she had her baby over the weekend. I'm happy for her because I know she wanted to be done being pregnant but it means I've got quite a bit of work to do to make up for the lack of her.

For this week

Food: 12 oz of chicken, 4 eggs, 1/5 lb of sausage+bacon, veggies, quark, maybe a protein bar, all per day

workouts this week will depend on how the low back feels but here's the plan

Monday:

Tuesday:

AM: squat

PM: Light kettlebell

Wednesday:

AM: light or off probably

PM: pilates

Thursday

AM: pulling

PM: light kettlebells

Friday

PM: circuit hopefully

Saturday

AM: light kettlebell

Sunday

AM: circuit hopefully

Music

Boardgames

It always seems like game releases are just a little out of sync with when they should come out, in my opinion. Specially the big Cons where they release games are right after my birthday but several months prior to Christmas. Then there is always a large push right at Christmas but too late to actually get them into stores. As a result there are quite a few interesting games coming out right now. Above and below is one that sounds really interesting to me right now.It has aspects of gathering resources and building a town but also aspects of sending your dudes out to explore and adventure. Caverna has done this and I did not love it but I do want to find of these I love.

Friday:

NELA: --

Totally ate like an asshole and loved it. We went out for sushi and I had 3 rolls, some edamame and 4 whiskies

My kinda meal!  I should try and figure out when D and I could head out for some.... been too long.  

Also, digging the Massive Attack tune.  That Mezzanine album seems to have had a ton of a good tracks.  I really like Teardrop.

If you're going to eat like an asshole, at least you're doing it right.

Pffft.  Three rolls of sushi is light.  He needs to eat the majority of a sushi boat.  Then we can talk. :P

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

My workout week has dissolved into nothingness. Laura is hating work and that has consumed every evening for us, entirely.

..but there is good new too

Thanks to Tonu's gift of a month of free headspace, I've been actively practicing meditation everyday and really liking it

Tomorrow I'm going to work from home and plan to slip in a bunch of mini workouts

Today I played my first lunch time game at this job and it went incredibly well. Also, I was reminded of how good and how energized I feel after that experience.

Today I played my first lunch time game at this job and it went incredibly well. Also, I was reminded of how good and how energized I feel after that experience.

That is amazing.  I don't know if I could ever pull it off at my jobs (given that my lunches can be 10 minutes or 2 hours and a slight breeze will flip the timing around), but it sounds amazing.

I realize you game a lot quicker than I am used to, but what games can you get through during lunchtime?

Pandemic is a great choice when you have an hour. The game should take about 45 minutes to play because it has a built in timer in the form of the player deck. When it runs out, the game is over. I also played a new game called New York 1901 last night that could easily fit in an hour. We played Dominion, Coup, The Resistance and DC Deckbuilder in an hour. There are quite a few others but off the top of my head those are easy picks. 

Guidelines for a good lunchtime gaming experience:

1. one person needs to know the game really well and be treated as the GM, meaning that he or she makes rules calls on the fly and in the context of the one game is irrefutable

2. Analysis Paralysis (AP) but be mercilessly punished with taunting

3. everyone must understand that showing up on time is imperative, showing up 10 minutes late because you "needed to go get lunch" means you're just watching today

4. If you can, it's great to show up a few minutes early to set up, baring that, put a little thought into how you store the game with an eye towards speedy setup and play

5. Don't feel ashamed of playing a game at work (this was hard for me at first). This is your lunch hour, in which you can do whatever you want. Also, you'd be surprised by how many people think this is cool.

That is amazing.  I don't know if I could ever pull it off at my jobs (given that my lunches can be 10 minutes or 2 hours and a slight breeze will flip the timing around), but it sounds amazing.

Yeah, inconsistency is the enemy of this kind of thing. I know nothing about your job but it's a fun experience if you ever know you will have the hour for a game, especially if there is a quiet time of the year where the office is pretty dead, that's when to start this. 

12/10

totally ate like and asshole, burger king x 2

12/11

working from home today and decided to try a little something in the basement before I settled in to work

using a single 20 kg kettlebell

• swing
  • clean
  • squat
  • swing
  • 1/2 snatch
  • swing
  • clean
  • back lunge
  • swing
  • hand change on the next swing

repeat for 30 minutes

Decent lunch planned and at least one more workout. Tonight is breakfast burritos for supper.