10 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Should I feel bad that my wife gave me a pair of gloves and said, "Have fun." instead of being worried about me?  I guess I'll hope that she knows that I'm too much of a hard-headed, dumb-ass, T-shirt whore to back out.

I only say something’s not a good idea when I think it’ll be me picking up the pieces when things go wrong.  Perhaps you’re just very self-sufficient.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

The figure’s meaningless until you factor in what your new outgoings would be.

That's where the painful part comes in. It means living in an apartment that it almost certainly smaller than the one we have. It means curtailing a lot of the discretionary spending. We could absolutely live on 70% of our income but those outgoings would feel the pinch.

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

I'm looking at the forecast like

giphy.gif

It's going to be cold and raining today and tonight. Before dawn it's supposed to start dropping below freezing. @Rooks is driving which is probably good because if I was driving @Sloth the Enduring would me walking there. I want nothing to do with driving in freezing rain or when the roads are freezing under snow. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

I'm looking at the forecast like

giphy.gif

It's going to be cold and raining today and tonight. Before dawn it's supposed to start dropping below freezing. @Rooks is driving which is probably good because if I was driving @Sloth the Enduring would me walking there. I want nothing to do with driving in freezing rain or when the roads are freezing under snow. 

Have fun out there guys.  Nobody die out there.  

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

The Hammer Race was a no-go for the nerd crowd. The road we would have been traveling home on was closed down by the state at about the time that we would have been traveling back on it. We made the right call. It also means I get to do multiple repeats of 10K practices before I smoke these chumps.

Hammer Race later posted pictures and video that supported not going. It was, presumably, post race and everyone seemed to be getting stuck getting out. The state closed the road we would have taken to get home about the time that we would have been taking it.

I dressed up and headed over to the YWCA with Laura instead

Clean and Thruster 70 kg/155 lbs 5 x 5 - tough

Pull up 6 x 2

So, let's talk about clothes for a second:

I'm really lazy about clothes. I mostly wear cotton t-shirts and shorts or jeans when I'm not at work. Cotton shirts are either from events or given to me at holidays. I put a few on my wishlist each year and have ended up with quite the compliment of workout and kettlebell t-shirts over the years. 

The thing is, I don't actually think most of my stuff looks particularly good. It's just that I'm too lazy and cheap to do something else. I'm like every guy I know who "hates shopping". Most of actually love shopping for specific things, clothes just tend not to be them. I'll spend 4 hours trying to help a friend get the best deal on kettlebells on the web but good luck getting me to look for decent clothes for that long. 

I also think that most guys have a weird mental block on spending money on clothes, sometime on necessities in general. Again, we typically have our thing(s) that we will spend untold amounts of money on. Maybe even a specific type of clothes like hats or workout gear or similar. General, everyday clothes, not so much.

Recently I've really been struggling with the clothing thing. I have this pile of t-shirst that are almost universally over a year old, have a kettlebell on them and are looking a little sad. When I look at Target, because I'm lazy and don't really look around, I see nothing I want. I've had the same two pairs of garbage pants, also from Target in rotation of a couple years now. One pair died and I bought a new pair and immediately hated them. 

I considered just swapping out all of my casual clothes for some 90's alt style, different  shades  of  black but that felt like giving up. I went a different way. I signed up for stitch fix.

A bunch of you listen to podcasts so you've heard the pitch but the idea is that they try to get a feel of what I like then send me a box of stuff (5 items I have learned) periodically. When I get a new box I take stuff out, try it on and decide to either keep it or send it back based on whatever weird criteria I have. In my case that's largely, does Laura like it and do I like it, in that order.

I signed up a week ago with some trepidation. I feel like even knowing my size, I can't walk into any store in the mall and make any assumptions about what I will find inside and how it will work for me. I figured I'd try it for a few boxes and keep or drop based on how it went. But seriously, how well would it really go?

When I signed up they, of course, collected payment and shipping info. They also ran me through a pretty comprehensive quiz that started with bare facts like height, weight, clothing sizes. They then asked a little more specifically, do I like an athletic cut shirt, relaxed jeans and so on. I think my favorite part of that was that they bothered to ask, when you buy an athletic cut, large t-shirt (options from previous question) if it doesn't fit, will it be too loose or too tight? They then ask how often I wear what, shorts, jeans, khakis and so on. Finally they just showed me a bunch of pictures and basically asked, would I wear these things?

At that point they let me write a note to my "stylist" and told be to expect a box one week later. I told him or her that I'm taking a road trip next weekend and a plane trip the weekend after so comfy traveling clothes would be welcome. A couple days later I got an email with my tracking number and again confirming that my first "Fix" would arrive today. Sure enough (despite our insane weather) it did. I admit, I cracked it open eagerly.

1. Jeans
  2. Henley Shirt
  3. Button down, short sleeve, casual shirt
  4. polo shirt
  5. fleece jacket

There was a note inside from my "stylist" that talked about how to combine and layer the items best in their opinion. There was also a sheet of paper that is a little hard to explain but it had one section for each item and showing other clothing items that could go with them. Presumably telling me that, for example, this shirt pairs well with khakis while this other one is more of a jeans shirt. 

I started right away with the jeans. I usually keep two pairs of jeans in rotation, usually from Target. Recently I had a pair die so I bought a new pair and hated them pretty much immediately. I also griped that it seems like denim is getting thinner and thinner. The jeans in my box were the opposite experience: heavy, dark, and a great fit. I was impressed. I'm going to wash them tomorrow but unless they do something dumb in the wash, these are my new favorite jeans.

The henley shirt was also a great fit. Not as mind altering as the jeans but really solid. It felt in character with me but also, not a cotton t-shirt. I counted it as 2 for 2.

The polo shirt was a huge bust. I went into it optimistic based on the two preceding items but it was really tight in the neck and shoulders and the collar felt like a neck roll used on football pads. I tried unbuttoning an extra button but it just didn't work.

I grabbed the casual button down shirt and threw it on, a bit excited. I used to wear a lot of these when I was heavier. I felt like they made me look less fat than the stretchy cotton of a t-shirt and they can be cooler than a t-shirt. It fit great. Laura vetoed it on pattern. I will be honest in saying that I didn't see it but at the same time, I totally trust her taste. The fact that I have none is part of why we're doing this.

Finally I threw on the fleece which I admit was the thing I was least excited about. Laura said it looked great. It was the heaviest fleece I have ever put on, not like the $30 Columbia ones that weigh nothing. This thing his the weight of a nice blanket. Based on Laura's feedback, I kept it. I'm kind of excited to try it out on the road and plane trip. I will either decide that it's my new favorite, light jacket or I will feel like I wasted money on fashion. 

As I tried everything on I went to the stitch fix website and made notes. I had to indicate if I'm keeping (And paying for) it, returning it, or exchanging it (presumably just for a different size). For each item I gave feedback on fit, style and price and had a little free text box I could complete. I now need to put my two shirts in a prepaid shipping thing and send it back to them.

The pricing model is interesting for this. There is a flat fee of $20 for getting a box. If I buy anything out of the box, I get a credit of $20 on my bill. If you buy everything in the box, you get 25% off, which is presumably because the postal service doesn't charge them to mail it back and they don't have to manage the return. I ended up dropping close to $200 for my one shirt, great jeans and fleece that I'm optimistic about but remains to be proven. 

The plan is to do a couple more of these at one per month and then evaluate. If nothing else, getting a line on some jeans I love seems worth it in the long run. My hope is that they continue to throw some random brands at me that I just won't find other ways. So far, I'm happy.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, LouCarJo said:

I hate clothes shopping too, so it’s not just men.  Interesting idea, but couldn’t see it working for me as I come out a different size not just between brands but even within brands depending what material they use.  But I guess for you it’s a budget personal shopper/stylist.

For dudes I would say, don't let being an "in between" or odd size deter you. I'm an odd size too. They seem to have a good grasp on it. However, for women, it's hard to say. Women's clothes have a lot of weirdly built in assumptions about the buyer's body. Laura has a strong sense of style and is really good at picking clothes that look good. She indicated that she has been unimpressed by what she has seen of the women's offerings, so I can't make a case for them. 

I think you nailed it with the idea of "budget stylist". As a part of that, I'm seeing it as someone who might introduce me to brands that aren't the Target garbage I usually buy. 

14 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’m a slob too. I’ve considered Stitch Fix, but I don’t need clothes every month.

I opted for monthly but they also have seasonally (quarterly) and a couple times a year or no schedule, just when you want. That said, I totally get it. I don't think this is a permanent thing.

Today I did a clothing revamp. It was only partially inspired by the StitchFix box. When we moved I packed a bunch of shirts I had never worn (Hammer Race x 2, Climb 4 Kidney Cancer, a bunch of Christmas a Birthday gift shirts) into a box with winter clothes and just other random stuff. When winter started I talked about getting that box out and going through it but never did. A month or so ago I finally got the box out and pulled out my Under Armor and said I'd finish cleaning out the box later. Today I finally cleaned it out. 

For a couple who got rid of half of our crap to move from ahow to an apartment, we still have more stuff than we need. 

The goal is still to get everything organized in the apartment and get the storage space cleared out. We're down to a couple boxes in the storage. Our office is still just a mess. A lt of that is, frankly, mine. We both could still stand to work on our share closet. I don't think we have too much anymore, me just need to do a better job of putting it all away. Our kitchen continues to improve slowly. It's never awful but not quite as organized as I would like

Workout

2 x 22 kg, 1 minute rest between sets

swing, swing, long cycle 4 :00

jerk 12 RPM 3:00

swing, clean, dip 2:00

long cycle 12 RPM 1:00

The jerks still felt like they were going to break me

static jerks 2 x 22, 3 x5

I played around with some snatches but decided I had had enough fun and stretched out. 

That's it for today. 

• Like 3

I've always been of the mindset that it's better to spend more money on higher quality stuff than have to buy something over and over again that doesn't work as well as the expensive one did anyway. 

Oddly enough, I've only recently come to that realization about clothes. I've been buying most of my new clothes at Duluth Trading. There stuff is heavy duty. It feels bulky and well made. And most of it has some type of warranty on it. One of those things where it cost more up front, but the clothes feel better and if I'm wearing this stuff every day, I might as well like them. I have my eye on one of their Flap Jacket Flannels forever, but $80 always seemed like way to much for just a shirt. Got lucky and spotted a 50% off flannel sale, then had an extra 15% in store one weekend. Ended up getting one for ~$35 and it's my new favorite shirt. It's feels much how you describe your fleece, like a weighted blanked on me. It's not overly warm inside, but I've walked around with just it on me at 20F outside, and been fine. I love that damn thing. 

Their blue jeans are bit weird though as they only really have one color, dark blue. I like some of the lighter blues as well, so I went to Kohls and tried on about 8 different brands of jeans in the same size one day. Again, I think I settled on the 2nd most expensive ones, but they were the ones that fit the best. 

Props on cleaning out the clothes a bit. I know when I moved the first time after having a girlfriend, I honestly donated 2 full 55 gallon garbage bags of assorted shirts and stuff I just never wore. That was almost 10 years ago now and she's been great at helping me keep my clothing down to a minimal line. I still have probably 20 t-shirts which finds to be too much, but I like have 5-8 workout shirts, as well a few under shirts and a decent variety of regular shirts. Been debating about getting rid of some of my polos as well, but who knows.

Anyway, I'm babbling about my stuff. This is your thread. Props on the clothing stuff sir. Keep up the good work.

• Like 2

When I first read your post about Stich Fix I thought I got click baited on Facebook, came to read about TML training and got a product review. But it’s cool to hear about something like that since I’ve always wondered what those businesses are like since I hear them advertise on Podcasts all the time. And my clothing is sorely lacking also. I’m always wearing a Carhart pocket t-shirt but change the colors up so people don’t think I’m wearing the same shirt everyday. When I get down to goal weight I may have to look into them.

I was at Barnes & Noble the other day and saw Arkham Horror and saw that it was a game for 1-2 people. How do you play it with a group? Or are there different sets?

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

53 minutes ago, Bearlee said:

I was at Barnes & Noble the other day and saw Arkham Horror and saw that it was a game for 1-2 people. How do you play it with a group? Or are there different sets?

This is what one of my friends calls "Typical FFG BS", FFG being the company that publishes Arkham Horror. You need two "core sets", two boxes to play with three or four players. This is a very deliberate choice on their part. Further, even if you're playing alone but really getting into it, you'll probably end up buying two base sets. 

If you were to split the cards into two different classes, game cards and player cards, you only need one core set of game cards, no matter how many players you have. So, when I play with my group, I set up all the game cards before hand for all four of us. The player cards are in limited quantities. Some of the real staple cards have 4 in the box. The staples of a class have only 2 because that's the most one person have have in their deck. Some of the best cards only have one copy. 

All of the above is why one of my first posts was me complaining about the cost of staying in the game. It's and amazing profit model that they wield to great effect across multiple licenses including Star Wars. 

1 hour ago, Bearlee said:

When I first read your post about Stich Fix I thought I got click baited on Facebook, came to read about TML training and got a product review. But it’s cool to hear about something like that since I’ve always wondered what those businesses are like since I hear them advertise on Podcasts all the time. And my clothing is sorely lacking also. I’m always wearing a Carhart pocket t-shirt but change the colors up so people don’t think I’m wearing the same shirt everyday. When I get down to goal weight I may have to look into them.

Come for the kettlebell workouts, stay for the clickbait. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rooks said:

I've always been of the mindset that it's better to spend more money on higher quality stuff than have to buy something over and over again that doesn't work as well as the expensive one did anyway.

I have definitely not. My parents pretty much always preferred the cheap things. In the case of clothes,  I tend to look at the price of some clothes and just immediately turn away, not because it's a bad price but it's just outside of my experience. Even these jeans (which I am wearing right now) are twice the price of my last few pairs of jeans. That said, I'd wager that they will last longer. I'ms still working out what the equation looks like for a good price for quality clothes. 

Ok. I admit it, I'm screwing off when I should be working. I'm going to indulge myself for a bit longer though. 

I don't recall why I first came over to NF several minutes ago but I found myself here and I wondered where my signature link dumped people to within my thread because I 've experiemented with a could different approaches. It turns out that it dumps you to the first post. I scrolled down to the second post to see what links I had set up to let people jump deeper into my thread. I jumped to the end of January, Bernadette's death. A rough place to start. I kept reading and man, what a year I'm having. Let's recap:

• January - I lost my dog of about 10 years. She was old and it was anticipated but it kicked my ass anyway. even rereading it today I can feel her seizing in my arms and hear her nails on my parents kitchen floor. It makes me tear up.That said, it's a lot less raw that it was. It was like "the darkness consumes me" raw there for a while.
  • February - I flew to Europe for the first time in my life. I met @KB Girl. My wife and I decided that we would return next year and I would lift in her gym.Oh, Also, I went and saw Har Mar Superstar for Valentines day. The first time that I can think of that we actually went out for Valentines day
  • March - This was my quiet month. I only did workouts, another Har Mar concert, Arkham Horror, and Boy Scouts
  • April - The Hammer Race got snowed out. Incoceivable. I'm flying to Seattle randomly in a couple weeks
  • May - This one is still in the future but, we're heading to Yellowstone for a while then back via the Black Hills

I have very few plans for the year after this but I know better than to expect that to hold for long. Afterall, I'm actively job hunting, Laura's looking for another dog for us, not to mention all the random things that just seems to happen. Regardless, It's like I've had a whole year packed into these few months. 

• Like 5

Nice write up on Stitch Fix.  I've been thinking about trying one of those places too.  I DO like clothes shopping but I have my favorite places and my wardrobe is dependent on what they think is in style at any given time.  I could use some randomness.  

You've had a pretty busy year, especially considering it's still the dead of winter.  

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

15 hours ago, LadyShello said:

Nice write up on Stitch Fix.  I've been thinking about trying one of those places too.  I DO like clothes shopping but I have my favorite places and my wardrobe is dependent on what they think is in style at any given time.  I could use some randomness.  

You've had a pretty busy year, especially considering it's still the dead of winter.  

Randomness is good. I'm still not quite ready for randomness in my wardrobe, just barely getting past "but it's not the thing I always get". Baby Steps for me.

Yeah, we were supposed to have more snow today. At least they've scaled it back from inches to flurries now. My in-laws, in Nebraska, were unimpressed with the local weather pattern last weekend.

• Like 1

April 17

• Laura wanted me to see a new yoga instructor at the YWCA so I did an hour, pretty easy yoga class prior to my workout
  • Chin Up 4 x 4 - couldn't quite get that very last one. I took about a minute and half off between sets for these
  • Kettlebells - 3 minutes work, 3 minutes rest, all sets with 2 x 18 kg
    • long cycle 8 rpm - I got good and warmed up but nothing too tough here. I feel like 10 minutes at this pace and weight is quite doable
    • swing, clean, dip, jerk - more challenging than the long cycle but not too tough
    • dip jerk - Really tough, my quads were going numb towards the end
    • rack hold - pretty good, especially considering the dip jerks before. I reset at 1, 2, and 2:30 but hung in there

April 18

Swing, Clean, Dip, Jerk, 2 x 16 kg, 12:00 - I felt like I was fully warmed up and going at 3 minutes. From that point on it didn't feel like it got any harder, I was just going. I didn't keep count specifically but pace was between 4 and 5 RPM.
Snatch, 16 kg, 8:00 - 65 / 66 - my hands were getting tired by the end of each half. I don't know if I could have squeezed out another minute each, probably but not sure.

April 19
run - treadmill 6.5mph, 2% incline, 30 minutes
  • swing, swing, clean 2 x 18 kg 6:00 - completely fried my grip. At 3 minutes I started resting in the rack and went down from an unknown pace (maybe 8 RPM) to 6 RPM, at 4 minutes I dropped to 4 RPM just so I didn't lose the bells. 
  • rest 3:00
  • swing,clean 2 x 20 kg, 4:00, 6 rpm - moderated pace to not run into issues like the last set, I still had a lot of forearm fatigue but I started to trade it in for getting winded
  • rest 2:00
  • clean 2 x 22, 12 RPM - I just barely finished these, you could even say I shorted myself a rep. I was completely winded. 

April 22

• Static Jerk 2 x 24 kg, 5 x 5, felt heavy but not at all undoable
  • Long Cycle, 2 x 20 kg, 10 RPM, 2:00 on, 3:00 off x 4
    • Set 1 - shoulders felt a lot of fatigue, presumably from the previous exercise, a little winded at the end but not bad
    • Set 2 - shoulders felt better, felt some leg fatigue, a little more winded
    • Set 3 - no local fatigue, moderately winded
    • Set 4 - no local fatigue, moderately winded
  • Front Squat 70 kg, 5 x 5 - challenging but not too much
  • Deadlift 100 kg 7 x 3 - easy
  • Barbell Row 55 kg 3 x 5 - easy

This week is going to be short. I work three days then hop on a plane to Seattle on Thursday morning. Thursday will be us kicking around the city and entertaining ourselves. There are a bunch of things to see so we'll just do whatever we do then probably go out for supper. Friday is our only full day there. I plan to hit Seattle Kettlebell Club for a workout and we have a sushi "class" at noon where we are walking to the market together, selecting the fish, prepping the rice and all of that. We'll likely hit up a museum as well. Saturday morning it sounds like we're going to meet up with a  high school friend of mine for breakfast then kick around for a bit and fly out in the afternoon. We'll be back home Saturday night and still have Sunday for all of the usual. 

This past weekend was spent at my family's house. It was also a short trip, Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday am. I had to get back to do my workout yesterday, which was a nice excuse to lean on. My family's taste in food continues to be a struggle for us. They're constantly trying to be healthier but it seems like their food just stays unhealthy. My mom has bought into a lot of the fad diets over the years and continues to do so. So she makes choices like cooking eggs in coconut oil which, no matter what people, does not taste normal. 

I should probably type more but my brain is still waking up so I'll save it for later. 

• Like 4

So it seems that KB Girl has been varying your movements a lot more than your previous training. So far, how are you liking? I would think it's too early to know if it's proving beneficial but maybe not. Just curious how you feel things are going. 

On 4/23/2018 at 7:06 AM, The Most Loathed said:

So she makes choices like cooking eggs in coconut oil which, no matter what people, does not taste normal. 

I must be the odd one. I actuallly quite like the flavor of eggs cooked in coconut oil. Not quite as good as cooking them in bacon grease, but its in my top 3 for sure. 

13 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

The Seattle trip sounds great.

I echoed this sentiment. Sounds like a good planned out trip. 

Stitch Fix - I have been playing with that idea on signing up, because I'm definitely out several pairs of pants after some unfortunate ripping and/or bleaching incidents at work.  Need some new stuff.  Maybe I'll give it a shot.

On 4/17/2018 at 4:09 PM, The Most Loathed said:

Ok. I admit it, I'm screwing off when I should be working. I'm going to indulge myself for a bit longer though. 

I don't recall why I first came over to NF several minutes ago but I found myself here and I wondered where my signature link dumped people to within my thread because I 've experiemented with a could different approaches. It turns out that it dumps you to the first post. I scrolled down to the second post to see what links I had set up to let people jump deeper into my thread. I jumped to the end of January, Bernadette's death. A rough place to start. I kept reading and man, what a year I'm having. Let's recap:

• January - I lost my dog of about 10 years. She was old and it was anticipated but it kicked my ass anyway. even rereading it today I can feel her seizing in my arms and hear her nails on my parents kitchen floor. It makes me tear up.That said, it's a lot less raw that it was. It was like "the darkness consumes me" raw there for a while.
  • February - I flew to Europe for the first time in my life. I met @KB Girl. My wife and I decided that we would return next year and I would lift in her gym.Oh, Also, I went and saw Har Mar Superstar for Valentines day. The first time that I can think of that we actually went out for Valentines day
  • March - This was my quiet month. I only did workouts, another Har Mar concert, Arkham Horror, and Boy Scouts
  • April - The Hammer Race got snowed out. Incoceivable. I'm flying to Seattle randomly in a couple weeks
  • May - This one is still in the future but, we're heading to Yellowstone for a while then back via the Black Hills

I have very few plans for the year after this but I know better than to expect that to hold for long. Afterall, I'm actively job hunting, Laura's looking for another dog for us, not to mention all the random things that just seems to happen. Regardless, It's like I've had a whole year packed into these few months. 

I had a similar wonder, recently, about my link.  Mine jumps people to the newest post it seems, but now and again I seem to get some newbies liking my first post of my log.  Which made me go and read the first couple of pages that are there, and man.  It actually made me feel like I've progressed a great deal in the last few years.  Which, er, I started the log in 2014, so I kinda hope I would have progressed something in 4 years, but who knows.  My lifts sure as hell have stalled...

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

22 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

The Seattle trip sounds great.

9 hours ago, Rooks said:

I echoed this sentiment. Sounds like a good planned out trip. 

7 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

Solid training.  Have fun in Seattle!

We're excited.I've been gathering recommendations from folks an we officially have way more than we'll ever do. I'm sure that there will be a second trip sometime. I don't know when though. So far it looks a little something like:

• Thursday - Arrive, get situated at the place where we are staying, get some lunch. This might be the time to check out Pike Place market and all the things around there. Ramen for supper.
  • Friday - Get up, find breakfast. I'm not sure if this is when I'll hit Seattle Kettlebell Club, it will likely depend on what time we do breakfast. Lunch is a "learn to make sushi" experience that we booked. I'll do Seattle Kettlebell Club if I haven't already. Volunteer park with our spare time
  • Saturday - get up and go for a walk. We're meeting an old friend of mine for brunch, head to the airport around noon and fly home

I'm a bit torn between our typical leisurely pace and going full on Travel Man and just exhausting ourselves for 48 hours. I kind of want to do the latter but don't want to make Laura miserable given that it's her birthday weekend.

9 hours ago, Rooks said:

I must be the odd one. I actuallly quite like the flavor of eggs cooked in coconut oil. Not quite as good as cooking them in bacon grease, but its in my top 3 for sure.

My issue is less that it is objectively good or bad and more that this is one of those "you'll never taste the difference" things. BS. I can. As for Top 3, I'd place it number 5:

1. Bacon Grease
  2. Schmaltz
  3. Butter
  4. Olive Oil
  5. Coconut Oil
  6. Canola Oil

I would use any of the top three interchangeably. Once I get to four or five I might see what else is available for breakfast. I only stopped at 6 because I couldn't think of any other cooking fats. I'm pretty sure that most other animal fats would land in the ball park of 3. Bacon grease can fall out of the top spot if you over cook your bacon as well. 

9 hours ago, Rooks said:

So it seems that KB Girl has been varying your movements a lot more than your previous training. So far, how are you liking? I would think it's too early to know if it's proving beneficial but maybe not. Just curious how you feel things are going. 

She hasn't really changed the movement, in my opinion, but reorganized them. Almost everything I do is a long cycle variant. What she has made sharply aware to me is how different parts of it hit me. If you tack two swings onto it, suddenly my grip is just dying. If you make me pause at every transition point it becomes quads and core.

I'm loving her programming. I don't feel beat up nearly as much as when I do my own. I feel compelled to make myself feel worked out and she doesn't. I don't feel like I can gauge progress yet but I'm very optimistic about it. She's working on my next several weeks programming and I think we're both feeling pretty good about the system that we have and don't have any explcit plans to stop it. That said, we're both trying to be courteous of the fact that the other person may not feel that way.  

6 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Stitch Fix - I have been playing with that idea on signing up, because I'm definitely out several pairs of pants after some unfortunate ripping and/or bleaching incidents at work.  Need some new stuff.  Maybe I'll give it a shot.

I'll just put my link that gets me a credit on my order right about here. I will warn you that I'm notified if you use it, as I was for someone else who did. I don't really have anything I would do with that info but if you're shy about it, just do it through a podcast URL or something. 

So far, I'm happy with the jeans, shirt and sweatshirt I kept. My next box will likely include some similar things since I told them that comfy travel clothes were a priority in both cases. I'll be interested to see what July brings, when I will ask for some new shorts and maybe a hat option other than a baseball hat. 

7 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

I had a similar wonder, recently, about my link.  Mine jumps people to the newest post it seems, but now and again I seem to get some newbies liking my first post of my log.  Which made me go and read the first couple of pages that are there, and man.  It actually made me feel like I've progressed a great deal in the last few years.  Which, er, I started the log in 2014, so I kinda hope I would have progressed something in 4 years, but who knows.  My lifts sure as hell have stalled...

How did you set it up to go to the most recent? I could never wrk that kind of magic into my url.

• Like 3

Funny, you are doing something in Seattle I've never even heard of-make your own Sushi. Sounds fun. Pike Place Market is super cool.Sounds like your weekend is full, but if you like Marvel comics, the MoPop museum is having a Marvel comic exhibit. Wish that we could have met-up, hopefully next time.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I used that referral discount for Stitch Fix.  It arrived yesterday.  I was pretty excited to get home and find new clothes waiting for me, without needing to go to the store.   I am buying at least 1 thing and I'm on the fence about another.  I'm definitely going to continue.  Thanks!