Friday was an off night for training. As expected, Laura wanted to go out for supper. We went to Punch Pizza which is a great local joint. Pizza is never good for me but I enjoy theirs every once in a while. I had a beer too because I've been in the mood to have a drink for a couple weeks and resisted (it wasn't super hard) so I took this opportunity to have a single stout. It was good.

Saturday we started the morning slowly. The first event of consequence was Laura's yoga class at 10:30ish. It was my first time in her yoga studio but it's nice. Of course, all the people were nice too.

I've taken maybe two yoga classes in my life, while at LifeTime. In each case every person had a mat then maybe you got out a block or a strap and did your class. These guys get out everything: two blocks, a blanket, a bolster, a belt and probably something I'm forgetting. 

This class was a cooling class or that's what the teacher said. To me it ended up translating to having us do a weird breathing thing where we were supposed to breath through our rolled tongue and just a very slow class. It ended up being very much a stretching class. Which, I thought was great. I could do more stretching in my life. Having all those props handy made it super easy to get into a stretch then use those to set yourself up at the right height or bend so you could comfortably relax into it. 

I ended up enjoying the class.

We did have our first finance talk on Saturday and it went better than expected. We both had just kept referring to needing to do it so I just kind of started after lunch. I brought up the $70, we both expressed disappointment and moved on. While we have a joint bank account, we've always had separate credit card accounts. We decided to close my only credit card because the rewards never amounted to anything worthwhile and we're going to add me to the three that Laura has. This will also help avoid me being surprised a third time by credit card debt that has been accrued. We found that Amazon let's you add one adult as a family member to your account. This means you can share media, credit cards and a few other things. So I did that. 

We had a discussion about refinancing our mortgage to 15 years rather than the 30 year we have (we're 5 years in). I reviewed some other things and I think we're going hold off on the refi until we have somewhere around $50K in the bank so we can throw some of that into the principal at the time of the refi but keep about half as a emergency  fund.

I made a few notes in a Google doc after and shared it to Laura. I think we'll just use that going forward.

It was right during the finance discussion but around then, I brought up the thing about us not planning a meal for Friday nights and therefore defaulting to going out. Laura kind of begrudgingly admitted that was what was happening. So then we could talk about if that was what we wanted. The end result was that we planned on eating at home this Friday. We have an Amy's pizza in the freezer from probably a month ago that we plan to eat. It's not the best but it's good. More importantly to me, I feel like it's intentional.

Sunday was a pretty lazy day. I started the crockpot early for a big pork roast I bought. We had pulled pork tacos for supper and those are my lunch for the week. 5 lbs of pork doesn't make quite as much food as I had hoped for so it might be a tough week.

Laura wanted to go to Lake Nokomis and run the stairs so I ran around the lake. It's about 4 km. I stuck with nose breathing (like I do for cardio these days)  but pushed myself a little bit. It was a good run if short.

In one of our joking conversations of the weekend, I was cleaning out my fountain pens and refilling them. I mentioned to Laura that I generally don't like multi-hundred dollar fountain pens but there is one that just catches my eye. I told her my solution for dealing with this is that I'm only allowed to buy it if I go to the shop where they make them and try it out first, in Belguim. Her response was that I better hurry up and fill out my TSA PreCheck paperwork.

You know I'm going to remind her of that on occasion

Goals for the week

• Bodyweight recorded 5x - nope
  • Other than Monday, stick to preplanned meals - yes. I don't think I broke away from them even on Monday
  • Squat 1x + Deadlift 1x + either a multihour walk or a 5K jog - close. I didn't quite hit 5 km on the jog
  • Write a letter to my penpal - done and got two more pen pals and wrote them
  • Write thank you letter parent and in-laws for birthday gifts - done
  • don't buy any prepared food - done

Other than the weight thing, I did it.

Goals for this week 

• stick to prepared meals
  • Squat, Deadlift and one additional workout
  • write a letter to each pen pal (2 short, 1 long)

I'm dropping the bodyweight one because I'm just lacking for motivation. I'm trying to decrease my intake anyway but I just don't care about losing weight enough to exert the energy. Anytime I talk to anyone about it the consensus is that there really isn't a good reason. My clothes all fit. I don't want nor will I ever have a super lean body. 

Oh, hey, speaking for fat people or people trying to lose weight, I just got a FaceBook notification over the weekend that high school class is trying to put together a 20 year reunion next year. I haven't gone to any of them yet. The group that is trying to put it together is a specific group of friends who never moved out of Des Moines. A couple of my actual friends might be there but I'd almost rather just go visit them separately. No idea yet if I'll go.

Plan for the week

• Monday - Squat
  • Tuesday - AM SiM, PM TRX
  • Wednesday - PM Strength
  • Thursday - AM SiM, PM Deadlift
  • Friday - off
  • Saturday - maybe strength class, maybe workout at home
  • Sunday - walk to Fort Snelling

There's nothing really special going on this week, which I'm totally fine with I felt like i was actually getting a couple balls rolling at work so I want to capitalize on that. I feel like I've been more disciplined in terms of money and calories so I want to keep working on that.

Since we're in the last week of July, I'm also starting think about August. There are a couple key things on the calendar. The first and third weekend of August I will be teaching the new TRX class at the gym at 3:15 on Saturday. The second weekend, we're headed down to Iowa to visit my family. We're going to the Iowa State Fair. I grew up going to The Fair every year. It's going to be interesting to see how my perspective has changed. Finally, the last weekend, I'm going to a three day teacher training for Mat Pilates level 1. Because I instruct at Six Degrees, it's free for me (other than the time). Laura's not super happy that I'm burning our whole weekend that way but I think it will be beneficial for me personally as well as for the classes I teach.

So far, September only has one thing. October is clear right now, I think. November has a trip from Laura's family to us and, of course, Thanksgiving. Then we're at the end of 2016, can you believe it? We have discussed going up to Lake Superior once more before the year ends but I'm kind of dragging my feet under the guise of, we had a busy spring, let's chill out this fall. 

• Like 5

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

Oh! I forgot. One of Laura's coworkers did go see the Star Trek movie and left very unhappy. It was a plot spoiler so he wouldn't say what but it was enough to put Laura off of seeing it in the theater.

Also, I realize that my avatar has hair and I haven't had hair in months so new picture taken and uploaded. Below is the full headshot version.

20160725 selfie.png

• Like 7

On 7/21/2016 at 10:55 AM, The Most Loathed said:

Don't tell RisenPhoenix but I may or may not get to go to Boston this fall. If I do, I really want to run those stadium steps with him.

Yesssss......

Wednesday morning are the Stairs.  Though Monday and Friday mornings are also workouts with the same group.  But Wednesday.  And I'm just saying, November 11/12 is when I'm doing that Ruck for my birthday.  So, you know.  Just saying.

2 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

Oh, hey, speaking for fat people or people trying to lose weight, I just got a FaceBook notification over the weekend that high school class is trying to put together a 20 year reunion next year. I haven't gone to any of them yet. The group that is trying to put it together is a specific group of friends who never moved out of Des Moines. A couple of my actual friends might be there but I'd almost rather just go visit them separately. No idea yet if I'll go.

I didn't go to my 10 year HS reunion a few years back, but the sole reason I considered going was simply to show I wasn't the fat guy any more.

Meh.  Maybe I'll go to the 20 year one, and be in the best shape of my life still.  Or at least by that point be a solid black belt and can flip people over with a flick of my wrist if they piss me off enough.

• Like 3

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Ugh. High school reunions. I would never go to mine, but Mrs Sloth and I went to high school together so we're going to our 30th.

Apparently the Star Trek spoiler is in their trailer if you want to be time efficient. I also found out there will be a new series that sounds promising, but it'll be on a premium online channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

I'm also on the "don't go to high school reunions" bandwagon. I've apparently gotten "lost" over the years and didn't receive an invitation to our 10th. If we had a 15th, I wasn't even aware of it. This is even more ironic due to the fact that I now live in the town I grew up in. 

The people I wanted to keep in touch with, I do. It seems kind of silly to have these things until you get to like 50th and people start dying off. Then at least you can brag about outliving people.

On 7/23/2016 at 5:37 PM, Elastigirl said:

Cool breakdown of what your job is. I've heard you describe it before, but this is a bit more detail. 

My job has changed a bit so even if I had described it previously, this would be different. At Target I did a lot of database analysis stuff. I eventually wrote a big program that the entire company used in the pharmacy that looked at a patient's recent history for missed doses of chronic medications and prompted the pharmacist to call or follow up to make sure people were getting their meds. Then I moved to the health system where my job was to create interactive dashboards. I actually ended up building a very similar system to what I had done at Target but based on previous diagnoses rather than meds. Since it was my second time through and I had a little help, I did it in six weeks rather than six months.

Both of those jobs entailed some degree of tracking things down, talking to people, making friends and influencing people. I knew when I took this gig it would be more talking to folks and less coding, it's just even less coding than I expected. On one hand it's boring. On the other, I've resisted moving back to management after a bad experience as a manager several years ago. However, I began to realize a couple years ago that at some point I'd probably have to go back. This will likely be that job.

On 7/23/2016 at 8:27 PM, Rooks said:

It seems as though you might be approaching a similar situation as my job.  I'm beginning to realize I excel at my job, not because I'm decent at the technical aspect (which I think I am), but because I can actually communicate to someone what's happening or ask questions that people can actually understand.  Funny how more I learn, the more it seems communication, not intelligence, is the primary role in engineering.  It's when you get both in the same person is when you see people excel.

I would agree that the soft skill are far more important in being successful in the business world. I've managed to avoid being that IT guy in every TV show by having some degree of empathy. The more I exercise that, the more people seem to enjoy working with me. That's a bit of a no brainer but it's missed more often than not by my people.

On 7/24/2016 at 2:21 AM, SevenofSeven said:

Hahaha, my SO and I don't fight over money.......we never have any! :blink:

There's a elegance in this

22 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Yesssss......

Wednesday morning are the Stairs.  Though Monday and Friday mornings are also workouts with the same group.  But Wednesday.  And I'm just saying, November 11/12 is when I'm doing that Ruck for my birthday.  So, you know.  Just saying.

....I didn't go to my 10 year HS reunion a few years back..

No promises on this trip yet. I looked up the conference Laura wants to go to and it's going to be October if at all. 

22 hours ago, Rooks said:

Good to see you taking the time communicate through all those things with spouse.  Funny how a little face to face communication can resolve so much and make things so much better.  

Part of that whole soft skills thing, I've found life seems to be easier if I place my cards on the table, pretty much anytime there's a question.

10 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Ugh. High school reunions. I would never go to mine, but Mrs Sloth and I went to high school together so we're going to our 30th.

Apparently the Star Trek spoiler is in their trailer if you want to be time efficient. I also found out there will be a new series that sounds promising, but it'll be on a premium online channel.

Laura mentioned the new series, that'll be another one I skip. 

1 hour ago, Sylvaa said:

I'm also on the "don't go to high school reunions" bandwagon. I've apparently gotten "lost" over the years and didn't receive an invitation to our 10th. If we had a 15th, I wasn't even aware of it. This is even more ironic due to the fact that I now live in the town I grew up in. 

The people I wanted to keep in touch with, I do. It seems kind of silly to have these things until you get to like 50th and people start dying off. Then at least you can brag about outliving people.

Yea, I'm still undecided on going. I've considered reaching out to the couple people I've kept in touch with and asking if they want to meet up for a meal or something. One of them has moved back to the town where we went to school, the other is in Seattle, which I need to make a trip to anyway or if she comes back to see her family, we could catch up then.

07/25/2016

Last night was squats

Front squat 60 kg 3 x 10

1/2 snatch 24kg 25/25

back squat 100 kg x 20

1/2 snatch 24 kg 25/25

I decided to make a go of front squats. I've never trained it because I'm not really comfortable in the rack. I opted for the arms crossed approach. I did a couple reps with 80 kg but I didn't have it in me to do many reps.

Dinner last night was a bust. We bought a different brand of charcoal on sale than I usually use and it sucks. It takes forever to light, then it burns really hot when it does. LAst night I was going to grill fish but I had no charcoal except that stuff. I never got the charcoal going. We had to bail on salmon and run to the coop where Laura got a smoothie and I got a salad.

07/26/2016

Today I taught Strength in Motion. We did windmills, TRX stuff and walking lunges. It was just two people and it wasn't the hardest workout by far but I think it was pretty decent. The two people have been pretty consistent so it was really nice to just do a TGU or a snatch when we wanted to and not to have to go through the teaching process. Once of them has really stiff ankles so I had to lay off animal crawls today, which is unfortunate because the other person is really fit and I was thinking about going all in on animal crawls and have her work into some back bends if she was up for it, when she was the only one signed up.

Today I'm working from home. Tonight I head back and teach TRX

• Like 4

07/26/2016

I went for a jog at noon. I ended up walking the last km but ran about 7 at an easy pace. this served to make me want to nap the rest of the day

PM TRX class was pretty fun. I had them do a bunch of lunges on alternating with presses and rows with only one handle. Everyone did good work

I spent a large chunk of the day really wanting to go calorie crazy. I think my body was just looking for sugar to replace all I burnt off. I let myself have a ginger ale as a concession to this.

tonight I teach strength, tomorrow morning Strength in Motion.

Last night's strength class went well. I had a  couple new folks so I dialed things back a bit. I'm still thinking a lot about whether I can or should progress to back bends and/or handstands. It'd be a slower progression than the movements I've taught so far but I'm getting a stable of regulars who are ready for new things. Of the two new folks, one was of particular interest, I would guess late fifties probably close to 200lbs but not a lot over five foot tall woman. It was a tough class for her but she did a good job of modifying when she needed to and hung in there. She's not as fit as some of the other regulars but if she wants to, she could make some good headway.

Last night's drive home was amazing. I'm not someone who likes to go for a drive but last night, the air was perfect, the windows were down, the playlist was hitting the right songs. I could have driven for an hour. 

This morning we had one new person and two regulars. Snatches, jump squats, animal crawls then some normal TRX stuff then snatches, jump squats and animal crawls. Time well spent.

A while back, when I first started teaching the morning class, I had two girls who came to my class and then didn't show up the next time. They both complained of serious DOMS for days afterward. I saw both of them yesterday. The red head has pretty consistently been in at least one of my classes each week and I see her in other people's classes. She's getting the movements down and seems to be getting stronger and better conditioned. The brunette occasionally goes to class with the red head but is only going to a class once or twice a week total. 

The red head was coming out of a pretty tough Barre class yesterday when i saw her and was excited and happily told me that she'd see me this morning, and was true to her word. The brunette I saw as she was headed into the stretch class. She stopped me to complain about how sore she was after her last class, several days ago. She mentioned that her friend (the red head) was talking about coming to class today but she just wasn't sure. She did not make it.

unrelated

yesterday I ate a bag of M&Ms, peanut butter. i don't know why but I love peanut butter M&Ms. Unfortunately this is one of those times when I grabbed a bigger than usual bag (not the pound, more like a movie theater size) because "I'll just have some each day". Right. i know better. Yet,  I bought and ate a bag of M&Ms. 

It's not really a big deal but I'm irritated that I told myself the story that I'd have some then had all. If i had been honest with myself from the get-go, I would have still probably bought M&Ms but a normal sized bag, because I would have known that was the right amount to buy and eat.

• Like 5

Classes sound like they are going great. Too bad that brunette didn't enjoy it, I guess with a class you aren't going to make everyone happy.  Yeah, we've all been there on the telling ourselves a story of how we will just eat a little, then, of course we eat the whole thing. Sugar is particularly evil in the lies it tells.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

16 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Sugar is particularly evil in the lies it tells.

Sugar

tumblr_mkmequQHQ41rnqsa4o1_250.gif

Sugar

gollum.gif

aaaaannnnyywaayyy

So, I messed my foot up. I'm not totally sure how. I suspect that during a long staff meeting yesterday I had it in a weird position and over stretch the achilles or the plantar fascia. The result is that I have this discomfort over my heel, like if I bruised it. Wearing a nice squishy running shoe does help it. Not standing or walking on it helps too. I can tell it's soft tissue because the soreness gets better with use (light use mind you) and worse with rest where as an actual bone bruise would hurt more consistently and would get even worse with use.

as a result, no workout last night. I could have done my deadlifts but my heart wouldn't have been in it and I might have made things worse. A couple days of rest with light walking a litte ibuprofen at times is my prescription. fortunately I have not classes to teach this weekend so it's a good time for me to rest up.

• Like 2

rest the foot and feel better. A bone bruise  on the heel is how planter fasciitis feels to me when I've had it. Stretching and ice on the heel help me.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Sugar is wonderful and evil. I was tempted with a giant jar of m&ms the last two days. And I devoured so many. I've also declared to my girlfriend that when we move in together we aren't allowed to have chocolate covered almonds in the house, because once I look at them we won't have chocolate covered almonds in the house. 

Hope the the foot feels better soon! I'm always teased with how injured I am, so don't be like me and jump back so early you're at only 75% recovery!

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Comforting to see you're still here and kicking! At least, as soon as that foot heals..

How have you been? Teaching classes I see? Awesome!
A distinct lack of kettlebell work tho?

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

On 7/29/2016 at 8:51 AM, Elastigirl said:

rest the foot and feel better. A bone bruise  on the heel is how planter fasciitis feels to me when I've had it. Stretching and ice on the heel help me.

sounds like the same thing then, I definitely feel it in the hee

On 7/29/2016 at 0:20 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

As much as you train it's surprising you aren't injured more often. Heal well my friend.

I think it's because I do train that I don't get hurt more. I mostly hurt when I sit on my ass.

It'd be different if I did anything actually hard.

On 7/30/2016 at 7:51 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

Hope the the foot feels better soon! I'm always teased with how injured I am, so don't be like me and jump back so early you're at only 75% recovery!

I've been there, the guy who is always hurt. It sucks. This should be a relatively sane healing process.

I took the weekend off from training and NF. I had intended to sit on my ass all weekend and let the foot recover but I'm bad at that.

I should back up a bit with a moment that is less than flattering to me. I believe it was Thursday night when I was in bed, reading, getting drowsy and Laura came in to the bedroom ranting about how she was mad about the fact that she is doing a charity run thing that we were both supposed to do so she made a team name and the charity thing gave her a shout out of Facebook but she's the only one on the team. The reason she was the only one is that after she signed up she realized that she was booking over a weekend I had booked months ago. So initially I wasn't going to go. However, after her rant I very ungracefully did a teenager style "fine, I'll go". It led to a disagreement

The disagreement wasn't active on Friday but it colored the weekend considerably.

Saturday morning I needed to run the girls to the vet. Clem has... an issue and Bern was due for shots and tooth cleaning. So I did that. Then we had massages schedule with my regular guy so we we went and did that. We ran a couple errands and I forget what else had me up and walking around all morning on a sore foot. In the afternoon the disagreement from Thursday reared up again.

As most of them are, this is an old one. I tend to book myself heavily, Laura doesn't. I tend to book my plans way out in advance, Laura is a little more reasonable. While I'll clear any plan with Laura before I book it, she doesn't always feel like it's a really choice I'm offering her. I'd say that sometimes that is true and sometimes it isn't. I was annoyed because the two plans I had now made for the fall, one weekend in September and one in November had now been over written by something Laura wanted to do. 

It devolved into her being frustrated that I insist that she write stuff on the calendar when she doesn't feel that she uses it. We went around on that a bit and settled on trying a digital solution again. She also had some frustrations about the project list that I think every family has because it moves slower than she would like. no real progress there. It'll come up again.

Eventually we worked through it and started talking about what we would schedule. It looks like the Boston trip is off (the conference she wanted to go to is sold out). We talked about going by train to Chicago but I think that ended at a meh. I'm kind of promoting San Diego as a trip she's talked about for a couple years that could be fun. I'd floated a return to Colorado but that hit no notes with her. We also talked about KC. I'm starting to promote a trip to Seattle a little more heavily as well. I'd like to go to Seattle Kettlebell Club, see one of the two people I still talk to from high school and see if Elastigirl and Mr. Incredible would meet for dinner sometime. So, we ended in a relatively good place. also, I am skipping my weekend away to do the charity thing. more on that another time.

Sunday was my usual food prep day. I took a couple hours to just hang out with Laura which both gave me chance to get off my sore foot and to try and repair some of the damage that always comes with a fight. I've found that taking advantage of our animal tendency to like anyone who is physically close to us can be helpful. Laura wanted to buy some digital music so we had a conversation about granting ourselves and "allowance" of some sort per month that is for music, movies and books kind of stuff. We don't have the details ironed out but we were both positive on the idea.

We've also been working on a furniture puzzle for a while and I think Laura nailed it last night. We have 3 bedrooms. One of which is our bedroom. It has a bed, two nightstands and a dresser, that's it. It's pretty much just for sleeping. We have a bedroom upstairs that we tried to use as a bedroom but the climate control up there sucks, especially in the summer when it's too hot to be comfortable for sleeping. Right now it's hot enough that I'll go watch a TV show but not much more as that's about the point I'm starting to sweat, also our girls won't go up and down the stairs so I get to carry them, which I hate. Then we have what has pretty much always been the guest room

The guest room is roughly a ten foot by ten foot box, but since you need a closet to make it technically a bedroom, someone added the afterthought of a closet that is basically a four foot by four foot box inside the the room, in one corner. The positioning of windows, the closet and the duct work in the room make it so you can just barely fit a bed in the room and walk around the bed. So we have a bed in there, ostensibly for guests, which we have fewer than ten nights per year. 

Laura hit upon the idea a while  ago that she would really like a library type room, no TV, not in the flow of traffic, comfy chairs and bookcase. The guest room was the natural choice but obviously the bed makes that challenging. We looked at various day bed and hide-a-bed options but the size paired with the 90 degree turn between doorways made that not a very reasonable fix. We toyed with the idea of just getting rid of the guest room concept but couldn't quite come to terms with it. 

Last night Laura came up with the idea of getting a hide-a-bed and putting that in the living room. I couldn't really support that because the dogs will get me up at 5 regardless of guests, so I would have to walk through what is supposed to be their bedroom, then when I get back, feed the girls practically in the bedroom then everyone tries to go back to sleep for a couple hours. Laura suggested, what if the hide-a-bed is for us and we swap out the bed clothes in our bedroom and give them that. That, I think is the solution. We'd only sleep on the thing a few nights a year and I think it gives us Laura's library and let's us not have the conversation with our families about why we don't think it makes sense to keep a bed for them. 

I did have a SNAFU this weekend. The gym has software that notifies me whenever someone adds or drops one of my classes. It's a lot of clutter in my inbox so I wrote a rule to shuffle them off to a folder. The gym has also been pushing me to start teaching private lessons so this week I set up some availability in their system but didn't advertise it to anyone. I got an email on Saturday from the gym owner with the usual people copied about getting me set up in the system. So I replied that one of them had set me up and I was adding availability. It was weird because I could tell that the email was part of a larger conversation but none of the history was in the email.

Saturday night I sat down to finish setting up my availability and do some other random computer chores, i think I was setting up my google calendar, per Laura's and my discussion. As I was doing this I went into my folder with the gym's emails and saw a different email from usual. Friday night someone had booked and hour with me for Saturday and I had totally missed it. 

I immediately wrote and apology letter to the folk in the thread for the gym email. I still feel bad. But it's past, I screwed up. I'll do better. So I missed my first ever personal training session. shit

Today is my 13th wedding anniversary. I think this was more apparent to us when we visited Colorado and walked around the very lake where we planned that wedding. We didn't visit the church were we got married but we drove past the apartment we lived in and many of the places we spent out time at. 

Plans for the week

I'm taking today off from training, one more day for the foot to just rest

Tuesday I teach two classes. I'll wear shoes (unlike what is typical for me) and just try to monitor my foot situation

Wednesday is strength class in the PM, also I need to take B in for her tooth cleaning

Thursday is Am class and PM is likely off

Friday is off

Saturday I am teaching PM TRX for the first time, I also offerred to cover the hour after so it'll be two full hours of classes. Then Laura and I are supposed to go out for dinner in uptown. We haven't decided where yet

Sunday rest, I think.

No real goals for the week except monitor foot health and do the week.
The weekend after the one mentioned above  (so the weekend of the twelfth) we're headed to Iowa for a couple nights.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Comforting to see you're still here and kicking! At least, as soon as that foot heals..

How have you been? Teaching classes I see? Awesome!
A distinct lack of kettlebell work tho?

Hola! I've thought about pinging you on your YouTube account just to bug you.

Yeah, it's exactly as I've always said it would be. I had to trade my training time for teaching team. I only have some many hours and I'm spending them driving to the gym and teaching other people, who don't have access to kettlebells. Honestly, I needed a break anyway. After training up to the biathlon Rank 2 numbers I was feeling a little fried.

I'll do more with them as the weather turns and I have to go back inside.

2 minutes ago, The Most Loathed said:

Hola! I've thought about pinging you on your YouTube account just to bug you.

Yeah, it's exactly as I've always said it would be. I had to trade my training time for teaching team. I only have some many hours and I'm spending them driving to the gym and teaching other people, who don't have access to kettlebells. Honestly, I needed a break anyway. After training up to the biathlon Rank 2 numbers I was feeling a little fried.

I'll do more with them as the weather turns and I have to go back inside.

Yes it was a long time coming! Maybe you'll get the inclination to pick it back up and go for rank 1, or maybe not :) who knows. So what kind of classes are you teaching? And this private training, do you know in advance what kind of goals people will have?

Happy anniversary! 

• Like 1

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

2 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Yes it was a long time coming! Maybe you'll get the inclination to pick it back up and go for rank 1, or maybe not :) who knows. So what kind of classes are you teaching? And this private training, do you know in advance what kind of goals people will have?

Happy anniversary! 

I got rank one on Long Cycle a while back and I still prefer Long Cycle so I would expect I'll go back there over the winter. I really just don't like biathlon at all. 

I'm teaching TRX classes "strength" which is basically just a circuit workout. They also let me create a class of my own for the summer so in the mornings I'm teaching Strength in Motion with is animal crawls, dumbbell snatches, Turkish Getups and whatever else I choose the throw in. 

The private sessions thing is really new so anything I say should be assumed to be ill informed. No, I probably won't know what they want before they show up. I hope that what they want is to learn how to do enough to take it home and work on it in their own time but I'm sure some people will plan on just paying for a rep counter. 

Two more things, all book related, I have to return my two library books this week

Balancing the Athletic Body

This is basically Functional Movement Screen - Lite. This seems like a great book. I want to buy a copy and put myself through some of the progressions. It is extremely un-sexy but it's exactly the kind of un-sexy that can really build an amazing foundation for people to train healthily and successfully.

The End of All Things

This is the sequel to The Human Division. It is good in all the ways that Human Division was. The one thing that is better is that the book uses different different perspectives than just Harry Wilson, which I appreciate. It still has the issues of having the entire universe spin around Harry Wilson and his cadre but it's a good book. You need to read Human Division first but if you do, and you like it, follow it up with this.

I'm waiting for The Ten Thousand Kingdom to come in from the library. I may read Natural Born Heroes in the mean time.  I got it as an e-book for my birthday. It looks at how random people during World War II had to move out into the country-side and because guerrillas living off the land and fighting trained soldiers and how they survived it.

• Like 1

Well,I think of all the choices for places to visit, Seattle is the best. Water, mountains, trees, great seafood, and you get to visit the Incredibles!:) I  keep looking at Natural Born Heroes and thinking about getting it. Tell me what you think of it.

6 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

I got rank one on Long Cycle a while back and I still prefer Long Cycle so I would expect I'll go back there over the winter. I really just don't like biathlon at all. 

I'm teaching TRX classes "strength" which is basically just a circuit workout. They also let me create a class of my own for the summer so in the mornings I'm teaching Strength in Motion with is animal crawls, dumbbell snatches, Turkish Getups and whatever else I choose the throw in. 

The private sessions thing is really new so anything I say should be assumed to be ill informed. No, I probably won't know what they want before they show up. I hope that what they want is to learn how to do enough to take it home and work on it in their own time but I'm sure some people will plan on just paying for a rep counter. 

Yes I know you were shooting for CMS on longcycle for a while.. but it's easy to get burned out on that isn't it? I'd wager getting rank 1 on biathlon will still be easier than getting CMS on longcycle, but y'know, having fun with training beats both of those things. 

Your summer class sounds like fun! I can't manage to rep count for those I regularly have in PT, haha. No focus. But heck, there is a lot to teach, so multiple sessions should still be filled with that right?!

21 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Well,I think of all the choices for places to visit, Seattle is the best. Water, mountains, trees, great seafood, and you get to visit the Incredibles!:) I  keep looking at Natural Born Heroes and thinking about getting it. Tell me what you think of it.

I started Natural Born Heroes last night. The first fifteen pages or so are a love letter to Kelly Starrett. It sounds like there will be a couple more of those types of things in there. I've just barely started the main story about the Cretan freedom fighters but it basically sounds like it will be used as a big analogy as to why we need to make sure we all have access to the basic human positions and ranges of motion. I'll update you as I get further in.

16 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Yes I know you were shooting for CMS on longcycle for a while.. but it's easy to get burned out on that isn't it? I'd wager getting rank 1 on biathlon will still be easier than getting CMS on longcycle, but y'know, having fun with training beats both of those things. 

Your summer class sounds like fun! I can't manage to rep count for those I regularly have in PT, haha. No focus. But heck, there is a lot to teach, so multiple sessions should still be filled with that right?!

Time will tell on the kettlebells. I'm enjoying the little break, considering that I did something lie 18 months of kettlebells only for every single workout. I'm getting the itch again though.

Yeah, I suck at counting reps. During class I used to use a timer. Now I just work with them and pick an arbitrary number of reps and do them and count down as we get close to my number. If I'm not working because I need to talk someone through something I will count based on someone else's reps.

5 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

Just to say, I'm enjoying your writing!  It's interesting to hear others' considered thoughts on both workout and life stuff.

Greetings and welcome! It's fair to say that I tend to use my thread as a journal. I try to include my mistakes as much as anyone else's but I'm sure it's not a perfectly fair and balanced representation. I've got very few readers but a few stalwart individuals who I get to hear from and enjoy feedback from regularly. 

08/01/2016

Last night was my last off night to just let my foot feel better, probably. I grilled hotdogs and thin sliced potatoes.  I finished The End of All Things and started Natural Born Heroes. I have remarkably little else to comment on from last night. 

08/02/2016

Class this morning, my first one since I made my foot angry. I wore shoes, which I don't usually do. I had four people, three regulars and a newbie. I taught the dumbbell snatch again, we did some walking lunges, TRX jump squats and some other stuff. It wasn't the hardest class by far but I threw in several balance exercises. Thursday will be tougher. 

I work from home on Tuesday so we had a guy come look at our bathroom fan. We have a fan to vent the air out of there so that the humidity doesn't build up. Some times it runs, sometimes it doesn't, many times it just makes weird noises at me. My dad, who is a carpenter, looked at it and seemed puzzled by how it was installed. Given that he's remodeled at least four bathrooms completely, just in houses I have lived in, I assumed that there was something weird about the fan. 

Today I had an electrician come take a look. He went out to his van, got a fan, pulled the old one out, put the new one in, it might have taken 15 minutes. I'm pretty sure it took him longer to do the paperwork to bill me than it took to swap the fan. I guess that's the price of not looking for myself. 

• Like 3