3 hours ago, Muscle Professor said:

Its awesome to see your still posting on nerd fitness. I haven't logged in for a log time and Im just picking things back up again. Besides posting what have you been up to?

I've gone through a couple job changes in the last year. I tried out rugby and pulled both of my bicep tendons, which convinced me that 36 is too damn old to start rugby. I spent a few months teaching fitness classes before I decided I just wanted to go back to training in peace and quiet. Now I'm opening my home gym one day a week to friends and neighbors but mostly just doing my own thing. I retaught myself penmanship so my handwriting is legible. I'm trying to learn a couple computer languages currently and reading a book series of Malazan Book of the Fallen. So, stuff :)

• Like 2

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

7 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

I've gone through a couple job changes in the last year. I tried out rugby and pulled both of my bicep tendons, which convinced me that 36 is too damn old to start rugby. I spent a few months teaching fitness classes before I decided I just wanted to go back to training in peace and quiet. Now I'm opening my home gym one day a week to friends and neighbors but mostly just doing my own thing. I retaught myself penmanship so my handwriting is legible. I'm trying to learn a couple computer languages currently and reading a book series of Malazan Book of the Fallen. So, stuff :)

Sounds like you have stayed busy. I hear you about training others and wanting to go back to the peace of training by myself. The first six months of the year I went back to being a personal train at a box gym again. I love helping others reach their goals, but once my clients reached their goals I would turn them back to the wild and the gym wanted me to keep them hooked as long as I could, I simply wouldn't do it so i left. Ill make sure to keep stopping by. 

-The Muscle Professor-

OtherWorldIron.com 

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. -Rumi-

On 22/11/2016 at 9:39 PM, The Most Loathed said:

A few :)

Playing 7 Wonders today made me think of you. Check that one out if you haven't. 7 Wonders, Pandemic and Dominion are staples of the industry these days.

I started my journey of rediscover a little over a decade ago. For a few years I was way into boardgames but realized I wasn't really playing them and I'm not a collector of things so it began to bother me. Then I started playing 4+ hours a week and had an excuse. All my games tended to get played. Most of my gaming was over my lunch hour so the games I owned were overwhelmingly targeted at the 45 minute - 1 hour time frame and I kept 1/3 or so of my games at any time at my desk at work.

The last two years has been a severe decrease in game time for me, going whole months without a game. I stopped buying games, listening to game podcasts and watching game videos and I stopped going to boardgamegeek.com. Now that I'm on an uptick I'm getting interested again but a lot of my info is a little stale right now. As I scroll the BGG hotness list, about 3/4 of the games I've never played and about half I don't know anything at all about. 

I bought 7 Wonders on your recommendation and it arrived yesterday.  Now to decide whether I keep it for Christmas (when I produce it with it, "hey, look what I got that we can play!") or bring it out earlier.  Torn as it's clearly more of a present for myself!

5 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

I bought 7 Wonders on your recommendation and it arrived yesterday.  Now to decide whether I keep it for Christmas (when I produce it with it, "hey, look what I got that we can play!") or bring it out earlier.  Torn as it's clearly more of a present for myself!

Nice! Not that it's my call but I'd open it sooner rather than letter if only to get all the cardboard punched and try to learn the rules. I'm not sure if you've watched any videos but I'll throw a very loose and unofficial "how to play below"

[spolier]

Setting up the game can take a bit because you need to look at each age of the cards and remove cards for a player counts above what you have (bottom center of the card) and mix in the guilds. Everybody gets three bucks and a hand of cards. They should take a minute to look at their player mats and see what resource they have and what their wonder does. Each player gets a hand of 7 (I think it's always 7 but double check the rules). 

On your turn, you will pick one card from the hand and pass the remaining card to your neighbor (left in rounds 1 and 3, right in round 2). You can either build that card if you meet the requirements, build a stage of your wonder or discard the card for three more bucks. Meeting the requirement for the card (or stage of your wonder) means that you have one icon for each icon on the top left of the cards. Early on there may be no cost (nothing up there), later there may be a word and also some icons. If there is a word, if you already have that thing built you can just build this new thing for free, like if you have the "library" you can just build the "university" for free. If you want to build something but don't have the icons but your neighbor to the left or right does, you can pay them 2 bucks per icon. This does not mean that they can not use it nor that their other neighbor can not use it, there is no inventory to account for. 

That's pretty much it, it plays really fast since everyone should be simultaneously selecting cards. A 3 player game should take about as long as a 7 player game, except for scoring, for which there is a pad included but there are also free phone apps. 

Strategy-wise, the guilds come out in the final age and can really swing things for you but in the early game you tend to mostly be trying to build your resources. If you can help it, you don't want to be out militaryed by both neighbors every round, green cards pay really well but it's not always easy to get the ones you want. Blue cards are just straight VPs which helps on total score but doesn't really contribute to the big picture. I always totally forget about my wonder which is a mistake.

[/spoiler]

Author's note: I was almost done with this post when I jumped pages and when I came back I was cut off to here. So you may lost some things to the ether. I'll do my best to recreate what was lost but if what follows feels a little phoned in, that's why.

Wednesday

My day got eaten up by a dashboard light. We have a light for low tire pressure. We also have a tire pump that can be plugged into what would have been the cigarette lighter a couple decades back. When I went to use the pump it appeared to have died. I went to the store to get a new pump to learn that it wasn't the first pump that had died but the power jack. Fortunately, I had a second so I added some air to all the tires. The manual said that the tires should be 32-34 psi and the printing on the tires said that they max out at 40 psi. The current level was 25-27 psi. I didn't want to just load up on air so I took them all up to about 29. The low tire pressure light didn't go off.

I called the car dealership but they were, predictably, all booked up. I talked to them some more about what was up and they said to bring it in and they'd take a quick look but if it was anything more than a that, I'd need to get an appointment for a couple weeks out. I did and they did and the lady explained that have the sensors set up to flag any air pressure below 29 psi. So, probably had I put a little more air into the tires, the light would hve turned off. 

Alas, that's where my free time went so no workout

Wednesday's item from my wishlist: The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day Two by Patrick Rothfuss

The Name of the Wind was Rothfuss's first book and was well received be pretty much every fantasy fan. It's also one of the few books that survived the big book cull a few years back. This is the sequel. I've read it before and will read it again. Like everyone who liked this book, it's been far too long for book three, The Stone Door. 

Thursday

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, it has been since I was a kid. I liked getting together for a big meal and the day together with family with no gifts required, no pretense of anything but time together. When we lived in Baltimore we didn't make it back to Iowa a couple years for Thanksgiving so we went to friends' house and spent the day. Those were fantastic. As I've grown more distant from my family, I have come to prefer Thanksgiving with friends more and more. 

Yesterday we went to the house of the same couple that we went to Colorado with. I think that there were 14 people total, some were family but some were just friends. It was great and I'd do it again.

Thursday's item from my wishlist: The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastards) by Scott Lynch

I love the Gentleman Bastards. I've read the first three books (all that are out so far) and listened to two of them. I definitely plan to read and reread these. So I'm planning to add the books to my library. Not much more to say on that, just great books

Friday

Today, we're currently waiting for a furniture delivery. After that we've got some around the house chores. We're frankly just loving having no commitments today.

Friday's item from my wishlist: And Then We Held Hands Board Game

This is one of the incredibly few things on my list that I have no experience with (hence why it's so close to the bottom of the list). All reports are that this is arguably the best two player game ever. As I understand it, it's a game about relationship building and is an extremely good exercise between people who have a relationship. 

Saturday

Tomorrow, I think I've talked Laura into going to a game day with me. My actual intent had been to simply get leave to go myself. However, she seems interested. It's a bunch of the Target employees that I game with once or twice a week. I know one of them really wants to play Mansions of Madness which isn't usually her kind of game so I don't know if this will play out positively or not. Either way, it's cool that she's game to go (no pun intended).

Saturday's item from my wishlist: Data Science from Scratch: First Principles with Python

It's no secret that I'm a data nerd nor that I'm trying to learn Python. Leave it to O'Reilly to make a book for that tiny sliver of a Vinn diagram. This would be higher on my list if I was convinced that I would actually have the opportunity to really learn Python well and make use of it. Still, I'd like to make a good go of it. 

Sunday

Sunday will be the day of returning to normalcy. We're headed into a normalish week so we'll need to act like it

Sunday's item from my wishlist: Rivals for Catan

I think most of the people who read this log consistently play some board games and therefore almost certainly know Settlers of Catan, which is now simply branded as Catan. We don't own  copy of the game. We did own one but Laura and I once played it with her brother and his wife. The experience of playing Catan with her brother reminded Laura of far too many awful games with him growing up. She vowed to never play it again and I got rid of it, I'm not a huge fan anyway. Neither of us have played the game in something like 8 years. I have heard that the two-player Rivals solves many of the issues of not being able to get the resources each player needs. So this item is a roll of the dice (again, no pun intended) on us finding a version of Catan that we want to play.

Something that came up this weekend is that when I was in middle school I took guitar lessons for a couple years. I was never any good but it's a thing I did. Laura wanted to know if I would ever take it up again. I said no and that I didn't want to commit 7-10 hours a week to practice. She questioned that I needed to spend that much time (reminder that she has a masters degree in performance and can play pretty much anything on piano). Given that it was her asking, I took her thoughts on how much time I would need, she thought more like 3 hours a week. Hey, I could do 3 hours. 

No commitments (I don't even own  a guitar anymore) but it's an interesting idea. It might fit well in those time slots where I'm not going to have time for a workout nor time to really code anything. So, I'm thinking about it, but that may be all I do.

I have an interview at the university on Monday. It's a job I applied for like a month ago. There are a few problems. First, I don't entirely know what the job is. It's titled Business Analyst but that can mean a lot of things. It could be cool or not and I think that it'll be hard to get that out of them. Second, even if they bring me in at the top of the payscale, it's at least a 10% pay cut. I brought that up with Laura because I don't know if it's a deal breaker or not. I mean, we could live with 10% less but I'm not sure that I want to take a pay cut unless I really know that it's something I want to do. I have been trying to get into the U as an employee pretty much since we moved her. Finally, I'm at peace with my current job situation. It took a while but we found a database, two actually, so that gives me at least something to do each week, to not feel like a total leech. It still only takes up one day of my time, at most, but I'm starting to get into trying to use the additional time to do Python and R stuff. 

I told them I'd go ahead with the interview because, why not, but I have to say that I almost feel like they need to sell me on them more than the other way around. 

• Like 2

We had that problem with the car Psi on a rental car. My husband was trying to  get the light to go off and couldn't . He finally called the rental car company and they said it was fine, just super finnicky.

RIvals for Cataan sounds fun, though I love Settlers too. We brought Pandemic to play with the nieces and nephews on Thanksgiving, and they loved it.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 11/21/2016 at 7:42 AM, The Most Loathed said:
On 11/21/2016 at 7:42 AM, The Most Loathed said:

I have no idea why when I opened this replay, it stuck crap above where I started typing.  I did not request that.  Your psi problem reminded me of something dorky I found on my car the other day.  This is the first new car I ever bought (back in Aprilish).  A snow flake appeared on the dash lights.  Googled it and found out it comes on when temp gets down to 4C.  Thats to warn me that cold temps might create slick roads (this was at startup, it was no due to tire slippage or something like that).  That could come in handy for the really stupid but I've got already got a hang on the correlation between low temps and slick conditions.  Marketing people dream this stuff up, engineers add the features, and then consumers get stuck with stuff so complicated it breaks down easily and costs a fortune to fix.  

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Yesterday ended up being a game day. Some of the folks I play with at lunch at Target decided to invite the group over to their house. I had planned on going alone but Laura indicated interest early on. Even as we were on our way I was a little concerned that it'd be very heavy board games which aren't really her thing but she'd be stuck there. As it worked out, it was perfect. We stuck to lighter games and everyone had a bunch of fun.

Fuse

I don't think I had even heard of Fuse. It's a 10 minute game in which each player has two objective cards. When they complete a card they take a new one out of a stack. If the stack is depleted before the ten minutes are up, everyone wins. A player takes one die out of the bag for each player, rolls it then the table negotiates for dice. The objective cards in front of each player require that they gather certain combinations of dice based on color and/or number. Each player gets at most one die. If no one can take a die it gets rerolled and that color and number combo gets taken away from everyone who matches it.

It was ok. I can't say that I want to spend any money on it. I get the penalty for people not being able to negotiate dice away but it's never fun to see your work undone. One player who can't be open to not getting exactly the dice on their mind can ruin the game. It gets a solid meh.

Bang! The Dice Game

This is a game that I've played with most of these people several times. In fact, it was my copy we played on. If you've played Bang! it will sound similar. The consensus from people who have played both is that this is the rare case where the dice game is the better but I haven't played both so I can't say.

In Bang! everyone gets a role card. If you're the sheriff then you reveal, everyone else is secret. The sheriff and the deputies win if the sheriff survives. If you are an outlaw, you win is the sheriff dies unless the renegade wins. The renegade has the toughest job, to be the last one in the game but for that to happen, the sheriff has to go out just before the renegade. So the renegade pretty much plays as a crumby deputy then flips to an outlaw.

On a player's turn, she rolls five dice. She gets two rerolls of as many as few dice as she wants. At the end of the rerolls, the dice faces all play out. If she gets any dynamite faces on any roll, that die locks, three dynamites end the turn, the player takes one damage and gets whatever the rest of the dice say. If the player rolls any arrows, she takes an arrow token but can reroll the die per normal. Any time that there are no arrow tokens left the Indians attack, everyone with an arrow takes a damage for each arrow they hold and throws their arrows back to the center. Three dice at the end of the turn with three bullet holes on them fires the Gatling gun, everyone else takes one damage and the player throws her arrows back to the center without taking damage. Each beer at the end of the turn heals one damage for the player or anyone she gives it to. Any die with a 1 is one shot to a player to the players immediate left or right. Any die with a 2 is one show to a player two away from her.

Codenames

It turned out we had three or four copies of this game there. I own a copy that Laura has played once and didn't really like but there were just three of us playing. I have taken it into Target though and we've enjoyed it. It's a team guessing game so six is about the least you want to play this with. The board is a five by five grid of cards with words on it. The two clue givers set a card in a standee between them that also shows a 5x5 grid but with colors over certain squares. On team is blue so the clue giver wants them to guess the blue squares, one team is read, there are beige squares that don't help either team and there is a single black square. If either team guesses the black square the game is over and that team lost.

The clue giver is only allowed to give a one word clue and that word can’t be on the board, followed by a number, which is to indicate the number of items that match the clue. The rest of the team guesses clues. With each clue they guess it’s revealed what color that was. As long as they keep getting their team color they can keep going, if they reveal any other color the turn ends. The team can even guess one more than the number the person says, which is helpful if they messed up on a previous turn but think that they can guess at that turn’s clue.

In my opinion the clue givers job is the hard one. Putting together one word clues that can get your team three or four words is key to winning. However, you have to be aware of the word that matches the black square and your opponent's’ word because guessing those words will lose you the game. If you can get a lead on the number of words you can sit back and play conservatively and win the game.

I already own and play this so nothing new was learned here but it’s still a good game

For Sale

I’ve owned this game for years, I’ve taught it to a lot of people. It’s a great little game about property flipping. Each player starts with the same amount of money as everyone else. Winning the games is to have the most money at the end of the game.

In round one one house card is laid on the table for each player. The house cards each have a distinct number, 1 - 30. Each player has an opportunity to made a bid for the high card, each bid must be higher than all preceding bids. If a player doesn’t want to bid or can’t bid, he takes the lowest card. If that player had previously bid this round, because bidding can go around he table multiple times, he gets back half of his bid rounded down, the other half goes into the bank. When all the houses are bought round two begins.

In round two cards are played out that are values that the houses can sell for. The values are 0 - 15 skipping over 1 and there are two of each card. Each round the five values are placed on the table and everyone secretly selects a house to sell. The houses are revealed all at once and the house with the highest number gets the highest value and so on until all the values are handed out.

When all the houses are sold, everyone adds the value cards from the last round plus any cash left over from the first round and that’s their scores. Most cash wins.

As I said, I’ve taught this game many times and played it more times than I can count. It should take thirty minutes to play slowly and can be 10 or 15 minutes with practice. Totally a worthwhile game.

Las Vegas

I’ve played Las Vegas at work before and loved it. Laura had never heard of it but absolutely loved playing it with this group. This copy is modified because we decided when we played at work that this game is best at the top of its player count and actually is better with more players than it’s supposed to have. I’ve never heard of that for any other game, but Las Vegas plays of to five but it’s really best with 5-7 players.

There are six cardboard tiles set out, one for each number of the six sided dice each player has. At the beginning of each of the four rounds jackpot cards are revealed at each casino. Cards are from $10,000 - $90,000 in $10,000 increments. You reveal cards at a casino until they total $50,000 or more.

Each player rolls all their dice (I think we had seven but I don’t recall exactly) then chooses one value they rolled and assigns all of those dice to a casino,. So if I rolled 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6 then I might choose 4s and place both of those on casino number 4. The player with the most dice assigned to a casino wins the highest value card at that casino. If there is a second card and there is a player with the second most dice, then that player gets the second card.

The big gotcha is that if two players tie at a casino, neither wins, they aren’t even in the running. So, if Laura and I both have four dice on casino number 2 and it has a $90,000 card and Ryan drops a single 2 there, he gets the $90,000 because Laura and I tied.

I’m not especially good at this game but it’s a lot of fun. Laura loved it. She wants me to put it on my Christmas list (which I will) and says we’ll buy it if our families don’t buy it for me.

It ended up being a pretty great gaming day. As I said, I was worried that they’d want to jump into heavy games but I think since a couple of the guys brought their kids, that kept things dialed back and it was about perfect.

• Like 3

So I'm doing and acountabilibuddies D&D thing. It's roleplay-ee without being too D&D. It's more like playing Adventure Time the RPG.

Thing from my wishlist: Storm King's Thunder (Dungeons & Dragons)

I really like the D&D adventure books. I'll probably never actually run any of the adventures but I love to read the encounter ideas. Not to mention that Wizards is packing a lot of their world building into their adventure books rather than making separate books. Storm King's Thunder fleshes out a lot more about giant-kind in the Realms and it introduces giantcraft, something having to do with making average sized adventurers Giant Sized, which I think is cool. 

We're still pretty far down the wishlist, in this case that's because there is at least one more D&D book on my wishlist. 

Today I had a job interview. I had applied for it a while ago and just kind of assumed it had gone away while I came to peace with my current gig. If people want to pay me stupidly for very little work, I should complain less. Well I got the call end of last week that they wanted to talk to me today.

I took the train and walked to the interview, it's IT for the University. The role is a Business Analyst which is one of the most abused pairs of words in my world. BAs do a lot of thing because there isn't a great definition as to what is a BA versus a project manager or reporting analyst depending on how the company uses the terms. In this case they really mean Project Manager. The role oversees very large IT based projects across the Twin Cities campus. Things like rebuilding the process for requesting new servers and how they get allocated including figuring out ways to automate the process. 

It sounds like a cool gig and I really like the idea of working at the U, I always have. Laura works there and I have at least one friend in OIT (their term for IT). The big catch here is that it's a pay cut of about 10%. It might be worth 10% as it would adjust my career trajectory a bit. It would be a lot more responsibility which is both good and bad. I would lose access to my Target friends for lunch time gaming but it's reasonable to assume I could find a game somewhere on campus a couple days a week. Still, I would miss my Target peeps. It would also close the door on going back there in the near future. 

Yesterday I rowed for 10km. It took 46 minutes. I've tried doing the slow cardio thing for a few weeks now, admittedly I haven't kept my HR below 144 every workout the last couple weeks like I was but my times have gotten worse. I started at just faster than 45 minutes and now I'm just faster than 46 minutes and it's been a progressive slow down. Oi. This is not working as hoped.

Yesterday Laura made Chicken and Dumplings and it was delicious. I ate it again for lunch. I did also have some candy which is also not so good. 

Planning for this week (11/28)

Monday - open gym. Red Day

Tuesday - TRX, Yellow Day

Wednesday - Cardio Green Day

Thursday - maybe on, Red Day

Friday - off, unless I skipped Thursday

Saturday - Red Day

Sunday - Green Day

This week I need to get back some food discipline. My pants are all uncomfortably tight. 

• Like 1

The Doodlie D&D is fun to follow, but they update all day long.  Are you sure you can keep up?  Also, they're smutty, so much smut, be prepared.

Your heart rate is weird.  Maybe you should ignore what the HRM says for a while and train by feel.  For me zone 2, or the Maffetone level, is about when I can speak a sentence or two, but not converse cleanly.  How long have you been training slowly?  It might be time to start adding in some intervals.

I get where you're coming from.  Even when I knew I would never have anyone to play with I loved picking up modules and seeing how the worlds worked and the adventures might play out.

• Like 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

4 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

The Doodlie D&D is fun to follow, but they update all day long.  Are you sure you can keep up?  Also, they're smutty, so much smut, be prepared.

Your heart rate is weird.  Maybe you should ignore what the HRM says for a while and train by feel.  For me zone 2, or the Maffetone level, is about when I can speak a sentence or two, but not converse cleanly.  How long have you been training slowly?  It might be time to start adding in some intervals.

I get where you're coming from.  Even when I knew I would never have anyone to play with I loved picking up modules and seeing how the worlds worked and the adventures might play out.

No idea how well I'll keep up with the updates. I had planned on playing but it looked like they had been posting for a GM for a while so I figured I'd give it a go. Smut....eh...I'm not really a smut guy but I can look away as needed.

My HR is weird. I spent about a month keeping my HR at Maffetone levels all the time. Then about a month doing a couple cardio workouts at Maffetone levels and a couple kettlebell workouts where I just let things happen. When I rowed yesterday I didn't feel like I was even breathing hard. I felt like I could just talk along as I did it.

would you count x minute on, x minute off kettlebell lifting as intervals?

5 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

This isn't actually totally true. But it does depend on time zone for the DM. And last time, it worked really well having like a 36 hour time frame for workouts / resolution. That way, it minimized the time zone impact. 

Also, the smut isn't that bad. I mean, I don't have to look away too often and I am quite proper.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

This isn't actually totally true. But it does depend on time zone for the DM. And last time, it worked really well having like a 36 hour time frame for workouts / resolution. That way, it minimized the time zone impact. 

Also, the smut isn't that bad. I mean, I don't have to look away too often and I am quite proper.

I didn't mean to make it sound negative, but TML isn't used to the Doodlie multiverse and he's jumping in headfirst.  BTW I quite enjoy lurking about in the Doodles world.

• Like 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Just now, Sloth the Enduring said:

I didn't mean to make it sound negative, but TML isn't used to the Doodlie multiverse and he's jumping in headfirst.

I'm totally looking forward to him being DM - I am so excited about this!

Also, Tank hangs out with the Doodlies a bit now, it's simmered down the public forums to an extent. Some of the threads though.....!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The Most Loathed said:

When I rowed yesterday I didn't feel like I was even breathing hard. I felt like I could just talk along as I did it.

would you count x minute on, x minute off kettlebell lifting as intervals?

From my experience, if you can talk easily it's either a recovery ride or garbage miles (garbage meters?).  That sounds too easy even for Maffetone levels.

Your question is interesting.  Some people say the heart doesn't know what's making it beat hard.  if you're looking for general fitness I don't think it matters much what you do as long as you get your heart rate up on a regular basis.  If you want to excel at rowing, you've got to row, KB intervals will only get you part of the way there. And vice versa. 

13 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

From my experience, if you can talk easily it's either a recovery ride or garbage miles (garbage meters?).  That sounds too easy even for Maffetone levels.

Your question is interesting.  Some people say the heart doesn't know what's making it beat hard.  if you're looking for general fitness I don't think it matters much what you do as long as you get your heart rate up on a regular basis.  If you want to excel at rowing, you've got to row, KB intervals will only get you part of the way there. And vice versa. 

They felt like garbage meters. I may have even thought the word "garbage" as I was doing them, I don't recall for sure. 

If you had asked me prior to this little experiment I would have supported the idea that it doesn't matter what gets your heart over a certain pace but playing around with it, my heart recovers differently from a long row than from a session of swings that from a session of jerks. I don't think the heart cares exactly but different things are happening in the body hormonally, at least that's my hypothesis. If I do a hard 1,000 meters in 4 minutes I take longer to recover than from weighted activity. If I snatch a kettlebell with a high level of perceived effort I will jump my HR faster than with rowing but not nearly as fast as with a set of jerks in which HR seems to exceed perceived exertion very quickly.

I'm not trying to be an ace rower. I like rowing as exercise but it's just that to me. If I was picking one over the other, I'd still rather be better at kettlebells than rowing. 

Speaking of which

11/28/2016

Krisjian came over and we lifted.

Kettlebell Complex

• swing
  • snatch
  • swing
  • clean + press
  • swing
  • clean + squat
  • swing
  • half snatch
  • swing
  • hand-to-hand switch

24 kg 10:00

Jerk 1:00 on, 1:00 off 24 kg x 2, 5 rounds

Swing 1:00 on, 1:00 off 24 kg x 2, 5 rounds

I felt pretty good going into the complex with the 24 and it was pretty easy. There's something about getting to change movements constantly that makes it so much more bearable. Going into the jerks I was pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to finish the set but I did. I was really dubious going into cleans but again, made it. Feeling pretty good about those

Tonight is off

• Like 2

I know, I keep waiting for you to go all serious again and get your Masters of Sport. Hormones makes as much sense as anything else. Either way it's obvious you get more efficient at whatever your main sport is. If I get my HR up to 135 doing push-ups (which I hadn't done in between failing the Presidential fitness award in grade school and finding NF) it takes two or three minutes to go back down, if I get it up to 135 on a bike it'll go back down in a handful of seconds.

1 minute ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I know, I keep waiting for you to go all serious again and get your Masters of Sport. 

I don't know if I have the drive anymore. Although I admit that I'm really feeling the itch to go hard of late. I'm back slid enough though that I just can't say that I know.

Almost forgot my new feature

Wishlist item Tuesday The Magicians: A Novel (Magicians Trilogy)

I recently listened book one of this series. I have to confess that I go through phases of absolutely hating this book, even well after listening to it but there are other times I feel like it's one of the best written and most self aware books out there. It's kind a  more mature Harry Potter meets The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. There's some sex, some drugs, lots of alcohol, and it's got all things in "coming of age" books that I hate. That said, there are times where it's so perfect that it makes up for it's nearly constant in jokes and coming of age-ness. It's still on the bottom third of the list because of that conflict

Wednesday Men's Gym Kettlebell Patriotic Workout Shirt (Men's T-Shirt)

I mean come on, a kettlebell shirt, why don't I need it? :)

I find a couple novelty kettlebell shirts and put them on my wishlist for each holiday and usually someone buys me one. Usually they are my favorite shirts and they are slowly taking over my t-shirt drawer such that I pretty soon will only own t-shirts with kettlebells on them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

You've lost your KB drive, become a Doodlie, and now you have a challenge? It's like I don't even know you anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The kettlebell thing has been that way for a long time. I didn't compete all of last year and my programming had very little structure to it. I've done challenges before when I needed to shake things up a bit for myself, there's one back on page 18 of this battle log. The Doodlie thing is new but that's because you were keeping them secret :)

• Like 2

Ok, back here. I used the challenge log to try out some things and landed on a bunch of things I'll use going forward. 

I had said I would likely start a new battle log, meh, this one is nice and homey, let's move on from here. 

I'll post a bigger kick off tomorrow (January 1, 2017)

• Like 1