Actually that's why I asked, because your longcycle rack isn't quite right, even in longcycle it shouldnt be pulling your arms to the sides that much, it should be much more like your jerk rack is. It's true that there is a difference between a lc or a jerk rack, but it's only that the jerk rack is a little bit higher up (so the distance to travel is smaller). Thats part of the reason you see people clean to shoulders first and the other part is that a lot of people who do biathlon simply cant clean for sh*t and thus have to rack it like that. It is however, perfectly possible to clean to a great rack position (like the one for your jerk) every single time. 

Long story short... you should try and change the center of gravity on your longcycle rack :tongue:

I've played with it a few times but never quite found the sweet spot. I've been point towards a rack with the palms facing forward a few times but seems to favor a wider rack versus palms towards me which seems to screw the elbows in a bit. I'll have to play with it some more. I did my first time of three longer sets in a long time today. I had forgotten how easy the rack gets in that third set. Of course everything else is much harder. I need to find the sweet spot where I can get all the benefits of the fatigue of a third set wearing myself out with two previous sets

02/11/2016

Food: crumby food day but I knew it going in. I had planned a smoothie for breakfast but Laura was trying to sleep in because the dogs got us up overnight, so I skipped the blender to let her sleep. I had an Egg McMuffin for breakfast and a burrito from Taco Cat for lunch. The burrito was amazingly good but restaurant burritos are invariably ridiculous.

Train: no. This was planned as being off or if Laura went down to workout I would do a little bit of heavy lifting and a lot of rolling

meditate: yes and it was great

geek: I'm counting my preorder of Starrett and Divine as my geek

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

I just pre-ordered Deskbound by Kelly Starrett

Well this looks intriguing...

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Maybe some long rack holds or a super slow clean set would help?

I think your clean has improved a lot and it should be more possible for you to get that good jerk rack on each rep if you wanted to.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Maybe some long rack holds or a super slow clean set would help?

I think your clean has improved a lot and it should be more possible for you to get that good jerk rack on each rep if you wanted to.

I've always struggled to get into a good rack. Just like a front squat rack, a little fatigue really helps relax things. 

More rack holds are in order though

02/22/2016

Eat: breakfast was a smoothie, lunch was 1/2 beef and a slice of bread, afternoon snack was two protein bars super was three whiskeys and a beef and rice bowl at my favorite Japanese restaurant.

I think I've found the thing that was causes some pretty intense gas earlier in the week. Apparently my body has decided that Quest protein bars are no longer ok. I have used them in the past as a nice calorie and protein supplement and they took the edge of any sweets cravings. The past week or two I've had the intenstinal thing and was wondering at the source, I thought it was maybe my smoothies. Well, I was all good today until I threw down these two bars. 90 minutes later I felt it fire up. Usually eat them with some almonds as well but didn't on this day and I could really tell. So I may take a leave of absence from Quest bars.

Meditate: Yes, I was at home so I had the distraction of one of the dogs up against me and her moving around but it wasn't a bad session. 

Train:

Long Cycle 24 kg 5:00

rest 5:00

LC 20 kg 5:00, 5:00 x 2

Swing 32 kg 25/25, 15/15, 10/10

Sitout 5 x 10/10

Renegade Rows 20 kg 4 x 10 - skipped the fifth set because the handles were causing  a lot of discomfort in my left hand and I've bruised my palm really bad in the past by pushing through that discomfort.

Geek: not much here

• Like 1

02/13/2016

Eat: breakfast was a double egg sammie, lunch was 1/2 lb ground beef and supper was....mm, I forget and I have stuff to do so moving on

Train: 

LC 20 kg 3:00, 3:00 x 3 2 RPM - not a typo, I was working the rack so I'd clean at the top of the minute, jerk at 45, clean at the bottom of the minute and jerk at 15

Kettlebell complex 30:00 swing, clean, swing, clean, lunge, swing, snatch, swing, clean, squat, swing, clean, press, swing, switch, repeat. I found that this took 30 seconds per complex so I could do both hands in one minute if I stayed focued. So 30 /30 rounds

Meditate: 20 minutes post workout. Not my deepest mediation but left me feeling very positive.

Geek: nah, not right now. Working instead

02/14/2016

Eat: more double breakfast sandwich, lunch was half of an Amy's Pizza. Supper was chicken and veggies that Laura made. She roasted two chickens so I can have leftovers for the week. Also, not Quest bars for two days, no bloating or gas.

Train: Circuit

Row 1km / 4:00

burpee x 20

swing 24 kg 20/20

I did four and started a stop watch. If I completed number five in under ten minutes I was going to do one more. I did it in 8. I was very sad I had to do one more :)

Meditate: Yes, I went out on a limb and set it for a 30 minute guided meditation. I really do prefer unguided these days but I was going longer. It wasn't bad. At some point I want to take some time to talk about meditating post training versus not but not right now.

Geek: still working. this should start to change this week as my project goes live regardless. 

I have more I want to talk about but I'm giving myself an hour more on the computer and I need to do one or two more programs. 

• Like 2

Good luck with your project, I hope it goes smoothly.

Thanks. The nightmares have kicked in so I know I'm letting it get to me more than I should  I had one last week where my older dog died and I woke up right when I was cradling her. It still gets me a little bleary eyed.

Your workouts are mind blowing.  Looks like a lot of thought goes into what you are doing.

They're tough but doable. I think alot about it but I could plan better. I created a google doc that I fill in as I go but I do leave room in there for doing what I need to. For example, right now I'm trying to do workouts I know I won't fail at and won't feel crushed after. I just need the movement.

My contribution to the NF world today

• Like 1

02/15/2016

Eat: smoothie, leftover chicken soup, quark, saurkraut, veggies and dinner was roasted cauliflower and turkey meatballs, Then a mule as night cap

Train: no, I was counting it as an optional day which for Laura usually means that we should sit on the couch

meditate: yes

geek:

If I did one thing right yesterday, it was that I left I my laptop at work at the end of the day. after working long days the last two weeks and both weekends, I decided it was time to take back my life a bit. A couple more hours at work wasn't going to get me a whole lot closer to my goals. This meant I got to do the things that I find important. I cooked, I did the dishes, I worked on a D&D encounter, I watched Ru Paul's Drag Race with Laura. As a result, I feel very refreshed today and slept well last night.

now back to work.

• Like 3

I'm considering becoming independently wealthy so that I can never again bring a computer home from work.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Just have to keep bringing my laptop home for now so I can keep my job and achieve that first part.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

LC 20 kg 3:00, 3:00 x 3 2 RPM - not a typo, I was working the rack so I'd clean at the top of the minute, jerk at 45, clean at the bottom of the minute and jerk at 15

Great! Love it. 

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

geek:

If I did one thing right yesterday, it was that I left I my laptop at work at the end of the day. after working long days the last two weeks and both weekends, I decided it was time to take back my life a bit. A couple more hours at work wasn't going to get me a whole lot closer to my goals. This meant I got to do the things that I find important. I cooked, I did the dishes, I worked on a D&D encounter, I watched Ru Paul's Drag Race with Laura. As a result, I feel very refreshed today and slept well last night.

now back to work.

t's amazing how often people forget how a complete disconnect from work can revamp and refresh you.  Instead, you get zombies being half as productive as they could be, with morale in the dumpster.  But ask them to disconnect from work for a whole weekend and most would freak out as thinking it's impossible.

After grad school, I determined to not work myself to death.  If I'm passionate about something, that's one thing.  But things I'm doing to just pay the bills with no other motivation?  Eh, things can wait until Monday.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

t's amazing how often people forget how a complete disconnect from work can revamp and refresh you.  Instead, you get zombies being half as productive as they could be, with morale in the dumpster.  But ask them to disconnect from work for a whole weekend and most would freak out as thinking it's impossible.

I tend to disconnect from work to a degree that probably crosses the line into abuse of privledges but so far, I do good work, or so I am told. I knew with this project it would be the case that the last two weeks would require some nights and weekends (requirements get delivered to me x business days prior to PROD date and I have x*1.5 days of work to do on them). So, I prepared Laura and I that this one would be the rare exception, I find about one per year. Now that I have some momentum I'm not doing the nights although I may do some over the weekend. 

So far I don't think they know what to do with me. I've not had the mandatory freak outs and tantrums that people have demonstrated in past years. I think they're worried...good, let them worry....:)

Also, I can't tell if the meditation is being helpful. Historically I've been really bad at repeatinga task 200 times. This project requires that and I seem to be ok with it. If I feel that little bit of anxious tension starting up I remind myself that "this is what I'm doing right now. There's no where else I need to be so I can just keep going" and it seems to help.

• Like 2

I sometimes have a complete disconnect from work at work.  Does that count?

That's where a lot of my strife has historically come from. i'd go to work and waste the day screwing around then go home and feel bad because I had done no work. I'm not perfect at it (hence typing this as I get ready to roll out for the night) but I've found a balance that works better for me, where I do more work during the day than I historically have and do none at night or on weekends, allowing for exceptions. That said, I've got a friend who loves working on the weekend. I can't say he's wrong, it's his way. If you're relatively happy with your situation, I won't give you a hard time....also, let me know when you solve that independent wealth thing because otherwise I'm just waiting for enough family members to croak that I can retire. :)

Man you're really stepping up the competition this week (literally). Did you get a boost of energy this week or find some extra free time? If you keep your step count up I may not be able to beat you this week, but I'm going to give it a good go.

Specifically was it spending time with Laura or watching Ru Paul's Drag Race that gave you energy? Either way I just got a bit of a chuckle out of that comment.

Don't know if you listen to Tim Ferriss' podcast or not but you should check out his latest with Walter O'Brien the inspiration for the TV show Scorpion. Think he might have things that would be of interest to you. He was talking about disconnecting from work/problem to help him refresh and give a new look at a situation. Plus the guy's life story is just damn fascinating.

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

02/16/2016

Eat: Started out good but needed a quick supper after pilates and opted for a sandwich and chips from the co-op.

Train: pilates class

Meditate: yes

Geek: no

02/17/2016

Eat: bad eating continued with me going down for Indian Frites (seasoned french fries), because why not.

Train:

LC 20 kg 10:00, 80-90 reps

thruster 20 kg x 2 5x10

1 leg, straight leg deadlift 5x 5/5

Meditate: yes

Geek: no

last work day of the week for me. tomorrow I'm off but i'll be working some as the dev rollout of this project has gone well but it has to hit prod monday morning and there are some manual changes I have to do over the weekend so it runs correctly in the prod environment. All planned for.

Man you're really stepping up the competition this week (literally). Did you get a boost of energy this week or find some extra free time? If you keep your step count up I may not be able to beat you this week, but I'm going to give it a good go.

Specifically was it spending time with Laura or watching Ru Paul's Drag Race that gave you energy? Either way I just got a bit of a chuckle out of that comment.

Don't know if you listen to Tim Ferriss' podcast or not but you should check out his latest with Walter O'Brien the inspiration for the TV show Scorpion. Think he might have things that would be of interest to you. He was talking about disconnecting from work/problem to help him refresh and give a new look at a situation. Plus the guy's life story is just damn fascinating.

I'm coming closer to normal steps for me. The last couple weeks my count was severely depressed by not commuting to work many days, it cut my my count to 1/3 normal. Additioanlly, I've worked the last few weekends (and will thsi weekend) with also suppresses my count. 

both. :) Laura and I enjoy Ru Paul's Drag race, this is the third or fourh season that we've watched of it. I actually felt the bigget change in my mood as I was just doing my chores, going through the motions of cooking and doing dishes. 

I'm listening to the episode right now (well not right now, I stopped it to work) based on your recommendation. The guy sound's life sounds like a movie script. so far, so good though. Solving problems is what I have historically done. my biggest gripe about my current job is that they have so few problems to solve and are so married to how things have been that even when there is a problem, no one really wants to solve and definitely not in an interesting way.

02/18/2016

Eat: so-so on the day. smoothie for breakfast, nachos for lunch and a breakfast sandwich for supper. The nachos were planned for and not a huge volume but probably 1500 calories regardless.

My breakfast sammies of late have been double-decker. I toast an english muffin and apply butter to the insides. I fry up two pieces of bacon, each cut in half. I put the top bun on the plate and apply one strip of bacon (two halves) and one slice of American Cheese. I then fry an egg in the bacon grease and apply it to the cheese. Next ad another strip of bacon, slice of cheese then one more egg. I finish it off with the other half of the bun then flip it over and let it sit on the plate until the cheese has melted just enough to be artful. It's delicious and messy as I like to keep my yolks runny. 

Train: 

1 arm Long Cycle 24 kg, 30:00, change hands every 10 reps. I didn't count how many sets there were but I'm guessing 80-90 per hand

Meditate:yes, post workout, 20 minutes of unguided. more in a minute

Geek: nope, unless you count the live play D&D podcasts I'm been mainlining on my commute of late (although I took a time out to listen to Bearlee's recommended Tim Ferris podcast

Notes

I'm writing this while waiting for a bunch of database jobs to run. If I try to do other work while this happens I cause a deadlock (database traffic jam) and the permissions are set such that my job gets killed. So, I've got a few minutes to vamp. I haven't don't that in a while so here I go

D&D

Speaking of vamp, if you're a D&D nerd, you've heard that they've updated the old Strahd campaign for 5E. I'm way more excited for this than the Underdark stuff. Why do I want to play in a world with all powerful vampires and mists that magically teleport you but not in a world with an earth within and earth and a spider-queen, I don't know but that's the case. Regardless, I'm buying this book when it comes out and may offer my players the choice to switch to that world with their current characters intact. 

Bonus Run

Yesterday I got a bonus run in. I left work and hopped on the bus and my bus pass made a weird noise when I scanned it. I looked down and got notified that there isn't enough money for the fair. I hopped off and went looking for the machine where I can buy a day pass so I can go home and add more money to my card later. I get on at a "transit" station with a big enclosure and light boards and everything so there's got to be a machine somewhere, right? not that I could find.

Well, not I still need to get home so I examine my options 

1. find and ATM, take a hit for not using my home bank ATM and get some cash to pay the fair (except it only gives 20s and I don't think the bus takes 20s)
  2. I have the uber app on my phone but have never used it, I could try that out
  3. there's a cab I could go flag...op no..he's gone
  4. start walking

I opted for 4. So I walked across the street and start heading towards the train (I know that they have machines there) and see my bus go past. I decide, screw it, I start a slow jog. I know I'm going to get sweaty but it's ok. I see one more bus on my line go past me as I jog and as I arrive at the stop by the train, that bus is right there, I ended up one bus slower for hoofing it. I got to the ticket machine and bought a day pass and bounce up to the platform. When I get there I realize it has 8 minutes to arrival. I could probably run this last bit faster, nah I'll hang out.

So that is how my commute home went. I think I'll start keeping a couple bucks at my desk for just such occasions. I don't carry a real wallet, just a little cloth and leather envelope that holds my ID, insurance card, debit card and bus pass. I don't need anything else. I do often carry a lunch bag to work so I could carry the extra cash in there but it's just a canvas bag, no pockets or anything. So desk seems like the solution.

oh, hey database jobs finished. I have more but time to work. 

I'll be working this weekend so very few updates from me, probably. But this should be the end of nights and weekends for a good long while.

Bonus Run

Yesterday I got a bonus run in. I left work and hopped on the bus and my bus pass made a weird noise when I scanned it. I looked down and got notified that there isn't enough money for the fair. I hopped off and went looking for the machine where I can buy a day pass so I can go home and add more money to my card later. I get on at a "transit" station with a big enclosure and light boards and everything so there's got to be a machine somewhere, right? not that I could find.

Well, not I still need to get home so I examine my options 

1. find and ATM, take a hit for not using my home bank ATM and get some cash to pay the fair (except it only gives 20s and I don't think the bus takes 20s)
  2. I have the uber app on my phone but have never used it, I could try that out
  3. there's a cab I could go flag...op no..he's gone
  4. start walking

I opted for 4. So I walked across the street and start heading towards the train (I know that they have machines there) and see my bus go past. I decide, screw it, I start a slow jog. I know I'm going to get sweaty but it's ok. I see one more bus on my line go past me as I jog and as I arrive at the stop by the train, that bus is right there, I ended up one bus slower for hoofing it. I got to the ticket machine and bought a day pass and bounce up to the platform. When I get there I realize it has 8 minutes to arrival. I could probably run this last bit faster, nah I'll hang out.

So that is how my commute home went. I think I'll start keeping a couple bucks at my desk for just such occasions. I don't carry a real wallet, just a little cloth and leather envelope that holds my ID, insurance card, debit card and bus pass. I don't need anything else. I do often carry a lunch bag to work so I could carry the extra cash in there but it's just a canvas bag, no pockets or anything. So desk seems like the solution.

Really? You're killing me here.

• Like 1

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

My breakfast sammies of late have been double-decker. I toast an english muffin and apply butter to the insides. I fry up two pieces of bacon, each cut in half. I put the top bun on the plate and apply one strip of bacon (two halves) and one slice of American Cheese. I then fry an egg in the bacon grease and apply it to the cheese. Next ad another strip of bacon, slice of cheese then one more egg. I finish it off with the other half of the bun then flip it over and let it sit on the plate until the cheese has melted just enough to be artful. It's delicious and messy as I like to keep my yolks runny. 

Can't wait till I'm down to 175 so I can occasionally splurge on something like this again.  Somehow it sounds tastier than my daily salad.  I'm in the running yoke camp as well.

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

02/19/2016

eat: smoothie, 1/2lb ground beef for lunch. supper was out with friends at a local brewery (Surly). We ate all the things and I had 3 beers, so lotsa calories

train: nope

meditate: nope. I was bummed when I realized it was time to go to bed and I hadn't done this

geek: nope

I worked the morning, went downtown for my monthly massage in the afternoon then back home to walk the girls then out with friends for dinner. Dinner was really fun. we went with a couple we often hang out with and another couple they know. The new husband and I got on really well. He's a really overweight guy who just started crossfit and is enjoying it.

• Like 3

So you guys talked crossfit? Do you also have that urge to go and give advice about lifting and diet etc? :X I very often have to reign myself in very very hard because it's not cool really.