• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Terra

But wait... Terra is a Superhero!

Last NF Challenge of 2016  - - I am a SUPERHERO

I’ve been thinking (dangerous I know!) and I have decided that I don’t need to become anyone other than myself.  I will always keep Black Widow as a role model for many reasons, but there are so many other superheros that have admirable traits and are inspiring.   Yet not any one of them are me so I think I will be come my own SUPERHERO!

2012-12-27-marvel_superheroes.jpg?w=627&

What does it mean to be a superhero?  I asked my family what they thought a superhero was and this is what they came up with:

• From the kids - Strong, smart, agile, loyal, protective, fit, bulletproof and â€I'm Batmanâ€
  • From the hubby - put lives at risk to save others and self sacrificing (it is important to separate these because his answer are very telling of his mindset)
  • What I think – Smart, positive, strong & agile, problem solving, never quitting and fighting for what they believe in. 

large_flying-superhero-girl.png

I will find motivation within me.  I have so many things I want to accomplish and who knows what will come up tomorrow that I might want to try.  Right now that bucket list has many things on it and I don’t imaging the list will get shorter anytime soon as I am always adding to it.  As of right now I am still registered for a half-marathon on Feb 21, 2016.  I don’t know if this is possible as I am healing up from foot surgery on October 5th, but rehab and running will be a focus for the next few months.    And then rucking – OMG I think this might be my thing!!!  Also lifting heavy things and skiing and hiking and tennis and volleyball and archery and….  I think you get the picture.

As always my children and hubby are the largest source of external motivation for me.  I want my girls to be happy, healthy and successful so I need to be the best example that I can be for them.  I will support them in most any endeavor, cheer for them, be there when they are down/struggling and in general be the best parent they need (not the parent they want.)  A successful parent raises their children to be successful adults!!!  As for my hubby; well look at his superhero trait suggestions above! There is not much I can do other than encourage him to take better care of himself while helping to minimize his guilt.  I don’t know why taking the time to take care of him self causes such guilt, but it does…   Both the kids and the hubby are considering attending Ju-Jitsu classes and I will encourage them all!!! 

I am starting this challenge on October 26th (week 0) and I’ll end it on December 22nd (week 7.5) because I want to do as much as I possibly can before we leave on Christmas vacation.  It’s a vacation where I want to play hard and enjoy the beach as much as possible.  So 8 weeks and two days it is for me!!! 

Goals are in alignment with superhero traits but as simple as possible to ensure success!

·      Superheros are strong, agile and fit:  I need to get back to regular exercise! 

o   Lifting – I will get back to the Stronglifts program but with a quicky-lifty bent.  I’ll do the lifts but I won’t rest as long because who has that much time and a life!?!?!?  I will take baby steps because I’m starting over with the bare bars.  And for Christmas I am asking for a personal training session with some Olympic weightlifting coaches that I just found here in town!!! 

§  Stronglifts 2-3 times per week

§  Daily body weight stuff in my office for 10 minutes, twice a day, 4-5 days per week: pushups, squats and abs

o   Walking/running – I’m starting this challenge in my walking boot so this will have to be a progressive goal.  My goal is to make progress from walking initially to running and hiking at the end of this challenge.  I will of course listen to my doctors and I reserve the right to make any changes here as needed.  Goal is 30+ minutes 3-4 times a week

§  In the boot: 30 minutes on the recumbent elliptical

§  Walking: outdoor or on treadmill –

§  Running: when allowed

§  Hiking: when the weather allows

o   Yoga/stretching/physical therapy/foam rolling - This is an as needed task that will be better defined after seeing a physical therapists.  That being said I want to get back into the habit of yoga

§  Physical therapy – as needed

§  Yoga – once a week

o   Skiing – once we get an active ski season going on (opening day is tentatively scheduled for Nov 27) skiing can replace wither a lifting or running workout (but only one or the other)

·      A superhero has lots of energy to fight the forces of evil:  Food is very important to me.  My food choices can make or break a challenge.  I thought I was eating OK and I hate to log every bite that I eat.  Despite this I experimented with MFP recently and it was a revelation.  I need to keep track of my food as a tool to keep my macros on track.  So I keep tracking on MFP will aim for:

o   1500-1700 calories per day

o   low carbs (below 100g always, aiming for 50g per day)

o   at least 100g protein per day but more is better

o   what ever else in fat. 

o   I reserve the right to adjust if needed

o   I will take Thanksgiving Day off from tracking and guilt!

·      A superhero is a smart problem-solving machine!  Sleep is one of the most important things that I can do to help keep my mind sharp, stay productive and maintain a positive outlook on life.  So this one is simple:

o   If I go to work the next morning bedtime is 10:30pm

o   If I get to sleep in tomorrow bedtime is 11:00pm

·      A superhero always takes care of the things that they believe in.  I believe in myself and my family.  So to best do all of the above to take care of myself and my family one key is to keep stress to a minimum, therefore I will do the following:

o   Get x-mas done early – by Thanksgiving (before if possible!)

o   Pack early – 90% done over the Thanksgiving weekend with a list of the last minute packing so I don’t forget something important. (I pack for me and the girls)

o   Take time for me – I’d like to do a girls night out with friends and take the time for a mani-pedi before my vacation

o   Stop reading crap – I’ll read only the good stuff and the overall amount of reading will be reduced. 

o   Take time to spend with each member of my family 1-on-1 – This translates into the plan for at least one 2-4 hour “date†with each member of my family at least once in the next 8 weeks 

·      BONUS Superhero action:

o   Superheros are good examples for others to follow (usually) and they help when they can. I will be a superhero for my hubby. He needs the support when it comes to sleep, exercise and eating healthy. 

o   A superhero makes things therefore I will make things

§  Clutches (gifts for a cruise summer 2016)

§  Cross body bags (gifts for my girls and nieces on that cruise)

§  Pillows for the outside furniture

o   A superhero is clean?!?!? 

§  My craft room is a mess, so I'll clean it

§  Decluttering and selling items will happen in a random fashion

That looks like a lot but it really is the basics: exercise, food, sleep and family

I need a superhero name, or do I?  Maybe I’ll just traverse the challenge and my superhero name will arise… 

• Like 12

Terra seems like a pretty good superhero name to me. This is a great challenge. I look forward to seeing you get your strength back. (I bet you didn't lose as much as you thought you did).

Tank - the muscle atrophy is pretty amazing in my right leg.  It was the larger of the two before...  

Stalking!  Hi :)

6-gorgeous-professional-fitness-models-t

Hai Grrrl!  

Starting metrics:

Weight 174.5 lbs

Belt at the largest possible hole

Stronglifts - re-starting with empty bars

Running – starting zombie run at day 1

MFP - 1500-1700 calories per day, <50g carbs, >100g protein per day

These are what I plan to track...

• Like 1

I've been pondering bulletproof beverages here at work.  I'm going to try something...  I bought a little hand frother to mix my beverages here.  And I'm going to melt butter and coconut oil together and resolidify it into cubes that are the right size. The search for a paleo-ish vanilla protein powder is ongoing.  I'll leave the cubes in the fridge at work so I can toss them in a freshly brewed beverage and then froth.  I hope the frother is powerful enough.  

• Like 1

I pre-make my batches of oil/butter and freeze them into an ice cube tray.  So I all I have to do is throw the Alchemical cube into my Magic Bullet, add half a scoop of protein, pour in my beverage, and blend.

Got an early start on it today.  Definitely onto something quite splendid here, Terra!

• Like 3

I’ve been thinking (dangerous I know!) and I have decided that I don’t need to become anyone other than myself.  I will always keep Black Widow as a role model for many reasons, but there are so many other superheros that have admirable traits and are inspiring. Yet not any one of them are me so I think I will be come my own SUPERHERO! I will find motivation within me.

I absolutely love this. Role models are important as they give us an example to look at, but you still need to build yourself up to be YOU, not someone else. I'm excited to see you achieve what you've set out to do for these six weeks! Your daughters have an amazing role model to look up to, if you ask me. :)

• Like 1

I'm here to cheer for you!  You have some very solid plans and progressions for rehabbing the foot, and I'm sure that you'll be back to doing the fun, shiny things in no time.  Yeah, life isn't much fun when you're stuck slogging through physical therapy, but you're totally going to crush all of this!  

You also sound like a great mom!  And I'm hoping that your thread will help remind me to stay on top of the x-mas stuff.  I really hate having to scramble at the last minute.  

• Like 1

You are a hero!

I really like how you're adding in there a taking care of you goal, super important!

Hooray for hiking lifting & yoga... I've got that combo going on too haha. Must be a Ranger thing :D

Can't wait to see all the superheroey goodness to come!

• Like 1

So Week 0 day 1 - Not a bad start.  

No exercise but pumpkins did get carved. And the best part? Pumpkin seeds!!!

Talked with the hubby about deep and serious things. This was a depressing conversation but we needed to talk it though.  We are good, just sad to see friends move on...  Got to sleep a bit late due to the discussion.  

Ate OK, but didn't meet my carb macro.  The treat of Irish Beef Stew is one that I will rarely pass because the restaurant only makes is a couple of times each winter and its my favorite.  I'm trying to remember how DarkFoxx reports her macros because it is clean and pretty looking...  Here goes

Calories 1587/1700max

Carbs 109/100max

protein 107/100min

Oh and a shaker cup isn't enough to make a bulletproof beverage.  Mine keeps trying to explode because I'm shaking a hot beverage...   :nightmare:

• Like 3

So Week 0 day 1 - Not a bad start.  

No exercise but pumpkins did get carved. And the best part? Pumpkin seeds!!!

Talked with the hubby about deep and serious things. This was a depressing conversation but we needed to talk it though.  We are good, just sad to see friends move on...  Got to sleep a bit late due to the discussion.  

Ate OK, but didn't meet my carb macro.  The treat of Irish Beef Stew is one that I will rarely pass because the restaurant only makes is a couple of times each winter and its my favorite.  I'm trying to remember how DarkFoxx reports her macros because it is clean and pretty looking...  Here goes

Calories 1587/1700max

Carbs 109/100max

protein 107/100min

Oh and a shaker cup isn't enough to make a bulletproof beverage.  Mine keeps trying to explode because I'm shaking a hot beverage...   :nightmare:

Why is it that those important conversations happen late in the evening, like right around bedtime? Looks like you ate pretty well to me. 9 over the max isn't too bad. :)

That's not good! I've been using a small food processor that I've had for years to make mine. I bought it at Wal-Mart for like $20. 

• Like 1

Drank the bulletproof failure anyway!  Just had to give it a stir so I didn't drink all the oils at once...   

Blech%21.jpg

I have a high powered hand mixer coming in the mail...  

As for those conversations yes they suck but the need to happen.  The hubby got a new VPAP so he is full of energy and getting caught up on his sleep.  Two weeks ago those conversations had to happen before 8pm and now he is keeping up late to talk.  

• Like 3

I've had a shaking hot things container failure problem a few times.  If you end up finding something that works well please share!

• Like 1

Love your theme. Everyone should be their own superhero. Eagerly awaiting the revelation of your super powers.

Following as we both limp back into our two-legged lives...

• Like 2

Watch out world... I have been officially been released of my one-legged burden. Real shoes on both feet is such a delight!!! And now the excuses are gone... What to do first???

I'll update more later....

• Like 10

Watch out world... I have been officially been released of my one-legged burden. Real shoes on both feet is such a delight!!! And now the excuses are gone... What to do first???

I'll update more later....

Everything.

All at once.

We are the Rangers after all.

Seriously though, it's great to hear you are back to mobility. Work on building up that leg again.

• Like 4