• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Terra

But wait... Terra is a Superhero!

Just a quick share/vent today.  

All the sugar from the medicine I've taken to control my cold/sore throat over the last couple of weeks has wreaked havoc on my girly systems (trying to avoid TMI).   Lets just say that the level of pain is requiring the same pain med dose as I was taking post surgery...  This sucks big time and all the more n=1 information as to why I need to eat pretty clean paleo.   GRRRR

No exercise, sleep wasn't quite enough and this week is flying by so fast, I'm not keeping up on the domestic rangering at all.  Boo!  

<breathing>  Vent/share complete.  Now back to the grind!

• Like 4

They'll really try to sneak sugar in wherever they can... sorry to hear it's wreaking havoc on the body. 

Think happy thoughts, munch those Paleo goodies, and chip away at your To Do list.  The weekend will be here soon enough!

• Like 3

Sorry to hear about your own illness tampering with your superhero awesomeness! I just got over my own battle with the plague and it sucked, but at least you came on the boards to work out whatever you needed too :)

How ya feeling today?

Wolf

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone checking up on me.  I am finally feeling better (hopefully not another false peak) and i'm looking forward to going to the conditioning class today.  I won't make BJJ because of a meeting at work.  Today is busy crazy but I plan on eating healthy and grinding though.  

My hubby has caught the cold plague that I had and he is miserable.  So I will be doing all the things that he does around the house (and he is an amazing hubby in that respect, so I'll be very busy) and getting us ready for our vacation.  Tomorrow we will do BJJ and Sunday is Star Wars movie.  Only 2.5 days of work left for me and I'm well on track to meet my deadlines.  The foot is needing some care today, but that might not happen till tonight.  

Posting this photo of the actual beach we will be at.  Its a reminder to work hard the next few days because I get to hang out here once I get all the things done!!!

Aulani-Resort-Hawaii.jpg

• Like 6

That beach looks gorgeous!  Enjoy your trip!

And yeah.  Why do they feel the need to sneak tons of sugar into everything?  It's not like we're little kids who need the medicine to taste like candy.  :neglected:

• Like 1

Yesterday's conditioning class was very intense. I almost dropped a dumbbell on my head!!! It felt great to push my self and I can feel those muscles today.

Today I went to BJJ and we learned some close standing moves and a hip throw. It really was fun. I was the smallest person in the class by several inches and in some cases 70 pounds. But when I got the throw figured out I could throw anyone, and I have an advantage, my center of gravity is much lower.

Food has been good, sleep on target and I'm adulting this weekend. Bags to finish packing, laundry to do and a little bit of cooking (paleo breakfast foods) to take on the trip. Feeling more like myself than I have in a few weeks. And I might have found a new addiction, Z Nation!

Two more days of work but they are devoted to learning a new task that I am very excited about. I'm guessing that they will fly by way to quick!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Yesterday's conditioning class was very intense. I almost dropped a dumbbell on my head!!! It felt great to push my self and I can feel those muscles today.

Today I went to BJJ and we learned some close standing moves and a hip throw. It really was fun. I was the smallest person in the class by several inches and in some cases 70 pounds. But when I got the throw figured out I could throw anyone, and I have an advantage, my center of gravity is much lower.

Food has been good, sleep on target and I'm adulting this weekend. Bags to finish packing, laundry to do and a little bit of cooking (paleo breakfast foods) to take on the trip. Feeling more like myself than I have in a few weeks. And I might have found a new addiction, Z Nation!

Two more days of work but they are devoted to learning a new task that I am very excited about. I'm guessing that they will fly by way to quick!

You certainly have more energy in your writing, some of which is probably attributable to "I'M GOING ON VACATION" excitement. Well done on class.

• Like 1

Happy Monday!  I'm at work way too early, but it is a necessary evil this week (and its an option, usually it isn't)  I adulted good this weekend.  Bags packed, paleo food cooked and frozen (for the trip), laundry done, Star Wars watched and early Christmas was done.  We opened all presents two days before we leave because we wont be back till Jan 3rd.  So this give my girls a little time to play with their new toys from grandma.  We didin't do a gift exchange within our family because the vacation is our gift!  

Tonight's BJJ class is the last one of the year for us.  And I plan on attending the conditioning class too!  I'm not looking forward to a long day of travel on Wednesday but I have a plan (now I just need to stick to it!) 

Other stuff: food is good, sleep is good, and I am so very grateful for so many things in my life. 

• Like 4

Today is the last day of my challenge as I wrote out my challenge goals and written on week 0 Day 1, On Nov 12th I updated my goals to make them work!  I did a quick weight check today.  I am down four pounds in the last 8 weeks and I'll take it.  I got a slow start to the challenge but that was expected as I was just getting out of the walking boot post surgery.  My goals were changed to adapt to reality.  And the last two weeks have been spent in recovery mode fighting a nasty cold!   Wrap up text below in purple!

I invoking the RANGER POWER OF ADAPTABILITY

Elika.jpg

My revised challenge goals:

• Superheros are strong, agile and fit:  I need to get back to regular exercise!
    • Physical therapy is my first priority – My exercises aren’t complicated but they really highlight the loss of strength that I experienced.  The one-hour session with the physical therapists is draining!  And then I am trying to squeeze in the exercises all the time.  Walking around the office?  I can do some funny exercise as part of that walk!  Standing at my desk?  I can practice my one leg balances!  Sitting at my other computer? I can do a deep squat while I read emails!   WRAP UP: PT has gone from bi weekly to weekly appts and they are exhausting.  It has become apparent that some kind of stretching/mobility work MUST become a regular part of my life.  This is leading into a 2016 goal of regular yoga practice and other stretching/mobility.  These MUST become a regular part of my life!!!
    • Jui-Jitsu classes will become my second element of exercise.  There are three adult classes that I can attend.  Jui-Jitsu, Extreme Core & Body Sculpting or Muay Thai Kickboxing.  I am so excited to see my husband excited about attending these classes and exercising there is no way in HELL that I am not going to go with him.  My girls are also both attending a kids class so this is a total family experience! WRAP UP: BJJ was originally about supporting my family and a way to get exercise when I started.  Over the last couple of classes I have started to really enjoy the "powerful" feeling that I get when I am able to do a throw or escape.  I'm petite but I can still hold my own in a class of all men.  I could become a true addict to this...  
    • Walking & Rucking  & Running – I’m out of the boot and able to move.  This is more challenging than I expected.  The loss of strength in both legs and my one foot has me struggling to get out and truly move.  So this goal is to slowly get back into the habit of movement.  I have already made progress and I will continue.  I have decided to delay the running till spring and then I’ll decide what to do about my running bucket list!  WRAP UP: I did my first ruck!!!  It was wonderful and I can't wait to do more.  Its been so cold/busy/crazy that I haven't done too much more outdoor workouts but I am looking forward to rucking more in 2016 - Maybe even a Ruck Light event?!?!? 
      • I challenge myself to a first Ruck this challenge.  It doesn’t have to be long and the weights don’t have to be HEAVY.  Just one Ruck in the trails behind my house!
      • Walking as much as possible.
    • Lifting – this goal is being abandoned.  Not because I don’t want to do it but because it isn’t fitting in with my schedule right now. Currently I don’t have the strength to do a proper deep squat with the 45 bar without breaking my form. My strength training will be in the extreme core & body sculpting class. I’ll revisit the weight room at a later date
    • Yoga/stretching/ foam rolling - This is an as needed element.  That being said I want to get back into the habit of yoga
    • Skiing – once we get an active ski season going on (opening day is tentatively scheduled for Nov 27) skiing might happen.  I’m truly afraid of my ability to ski at this time and I will see what happens…

r169_457x256_485_Battle_2d_fantasy_elf_c

• A superhero has lots of energy to fight the forces of evil:  Food is very important to me.  My food choices can make or break a challenge.  I thought I was eating OK and I hate to log every bite that I eat.  Despite this I experimented with MFP recently and it was a revelation.  I need to keep track of my food as a tool to keep my macros on track.  So I keep tracking on MFP will aim for:
    • 1500-1700 calories per day
    • low carbs (below 100g always, aiming for 50g per day) but I will have one higher carb day every 10 days
    • at least 100g protein per day but more is better
    • what ever else in fat. 
    • I reserve the right to adjust if needed
    • I will take Thanksgiving Day off from tracking and guilt!

WRAP UP: Tracking food has done wonders for me!  I have reigned in the overeating and this is something that will continue in the future.  In 2016 I will work on increasing the amt of veggies I eat..

29ecb46955fee9a5f2a71644536774ad.jpg

• A superhero is a smart problem-solving machine!  Sleep is one of the most important things that I can do to help keep my mind sharp, stay productive and maintain a positive outlook on life.  So this one is simple:
    • If I go to work the next morning bedtime is 11:00pm
    • If I get to sleep in tomorrow bedtime is 11:30pm

WRAP UP: Sleep went well this challenge with just a couple exceptions.  These need to remain goals for the future as I get off track if they aren't here! 

• A superhero always takes care of the things that they believe in.  I believe in myself and my family.  So to best do all of the above to take care of myself and my family one key is to keep stress to a minimum, therefore I will do the following:
    • Get x-mas done early – by Thanksgiving (before if possible!) DONE
    • Pack early – 90% done over the Thanksgiving weekend with a list of the last minute packing so I don’t forget something important. (I pack for me and the girls) DONE
    • Take time for me – I’d like to do a girls night out with friends and take the time for a mani-pedi before my vacation (but I will not stress if this doesn’t happen, we are all crazy busy this time of year!) Didn't happen but plans are in the works for a girls night in Jan/Feb and I did my own nails!!!  
    • Stop reading crap – I’ll read only the good stuff and the overall amount of reading will be reduced. DONE
    • Take time to spend with each member of my family 1-on-1 – This translates into the plan for at least one 2-4 hour “date†with each member of my family at least once in the next 8 weeks DONE
  • BONUS Superhero action:
    • Superheros are good examples for others to follow (usually) and they help when they can. I will be a superhero for my hubby. He needs the support when it comes to sleep, exercise and eating healthy. 
    • A superhero makes things therefore I will make things:
      • Simple travel Christmas stockings for my family (because our good ones are not going on an airplane, to much sentimental value there) DONE!! 
      • A NF gift for a fellow Ranger (I just love my idea and it doesn’t tie me to a sewing machine!) Didn't get done because I waited too long then got sick and crafting while on nyQuill isn't a good idea!  
      • Optional – Clutches and pillows for the outside furniture (but they can wait I don’t need these now)
    • A superhero is clean?!?!? Nope - didn't happen!  
      • My craft room is a mess
      • Decluttering and selling items will happen in a random fashion

tumblr_n936zeDLKq1s7x60do1_1280.jpg

I decided to pepper this with photos of strong ranger women to remind myself to adjust the plan and move on.  Moving forward...

Overall it was a good challenge and I am feeling so much stronger.  I really don't know if running will ever happen anymore but I'm going to reassess in 2016.  BJJ has become a fantastic form of exercise but also a very empowering part of my life.  I may have finally found the "thing" that really speaks to my soul and makes me a better all around person, priceless!!!  

I'm not sure if I'll be posting over the next couple of weeks, but I will be keeping my NF goals and friends in mind as we go through the holidays. Thoughts for my first challenge of 2016 are still rattling around in my head as well as an idea for the whole year of challenges.  I'm excited about the idea and I'm working out the details, but expect a continuation of "Terra the Superhero" (and maybe goddess) theme!  

I'm happy today because I am finally learning to love myself and do what makes me happy.  So this...

happy-quotes-for-happy-quotes-gallery-20

• Like 5

Absolutely brilliant work on this challenge, Terra.  Even though you're still relatively fresh of that injury, you're making some wonderful progress and haven't let it stall your efforts to live your life to the most and keep hammering away at your goals.

Feeling strong is cathartic and addicting.  No wonder the Dark Side is considered so seductive... once you tap into that inner strength, you want to feel that high all the time!  ;)

• Like 1

happy-quotes-for-happy-quotes-gallery-20

Ooorah!

You continue to amaze Terra!  Your recovery has been so inspiring, and I'm so excited for you that you found BJJ. You have an amazing 2016 ahead of you. With your superpowers, you are going to punch it in the face, kick it in the gut, and make it even more amazing.

• Like 1

Super challenge for a real super hero.  I love how BJJ has become such a positive force in your life.  I will never tire of hearing about your adventures.  Have an amazing Christmas vacation!

• Like 1

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday (if you celebrate). ðŸ½

We had a wonderful time playing on the beach and visiting with friends who live in Honolulu. Tomorrow we are off to visit the pineapple plantation and the North Shore. Lots of beach walking and swimming!

• Like 3

Happy Christmas Terra!!   I wish I had your holiday haha!  We were in Florida for Christmas last year and I have no problem with tropical yuletide.  It was snowing and about 20 degrees here the last couple of days.   :)

• Like 1

Lots of beaches, sunny weather, family time and a baby humpback whale! Food has been interesting. I've had to skip a couple of meals for various reasons, but coconut lime Popsicles and fish tacos have made me happy! Beach yoga was awesome and the walks my path along the beach is magnificent!

I've missed something about the changed format of the challenges and the guilds... But it won't change things for me because I still want to do all the things!

• Like 3

You haven't missed much. The main thing that will affect you is the move to 4-week challenges with a few days break in between. No biggie, just changes the shape of the challenge a little.

• Like 1

I'm glad you're having such an awesome vacation!

Don't worry about the changes.  I think the consensus is that none of us care about the new guild descriptions.  We're all Rangers, damn it, and we're staying here.  

I've missed something about the changed format of the challenges and the guilds... But it won't change things for me because I still want to do all the things!

You haven't missed much. The main thing that will affect you is the move to 4-week challenges with a few days break in between. No biggie, just changes the shape of the challenge a little.

Basically this.  Moving to 4 week challenges, the Adventurers got a bit of a facelift with regard to their guild description, and NF HQ is unveiling an optional character/avatar site that runs alongside our challenges with an XP and leveling mechanic built in.  All of these changes are supposed to be related to and keeping in line with Steve's book release later in January.

Wrapping up the crazy holiday vacation today.

I'm still debating the superhero/goddess for my first challenge. Should I do a fall back to Black Widow because I'm gonna start out with a basic habit building challenge to start off the year. Or I could go with my namesake goddess Terra, but that might be a better spring challenge fit. Or I could branch out and do Superwoman/girl or wonder woman or... I think the goals will be simple in comparison to choosing a hero!!! I'll have to post tomorrow or Monday when I get to a real computer...

• Like 2