• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Terra

But wait... Terra is a Superhero!

I think I may be underestimating my bulletproof butter/coconut oil content, I might break out the measuring spoons this weekend to check my portion sizes. 

My Bulletproof Alchemyâ„¢ game is growing stronger, but the first breakthrough was accepting just how much butter and oil you can cram into a cup.  Seriously.  One tablespoon is just the beginning, and even sticking with that only results in slightly more than 12-15g fats and around 100 calories.  Not a huge dent at all if you think about it.  Days I'm looking to intermittently fast I'll load up on those fats to get me through the day, usually 2 tablespoons of each, a tablespoon of peanut butter, and half a scoop of protein.

• Like 2

I had an Alchemy fail today. Last time I blended the Paleo Protein Powder with coffee I added in coconut oil and all was good. Today I decided no oil and the cup exploded all over the counter. I'm guessing that the oil helped keep foam from expanding exponentially. Good to know, no protein in the cup sized mixer unless I use oil too!

The foot kept me from doing much yesterday but I did get out with the family and do our community downtown trick-or-treat. It tried to rain but my cloak kept me dry! Today I'm keeping the foot on ice and helping a kiddo with homework. Because of a party tonight I'm having the protein powder latte for lunch. Tonight will be a food variance night because of wine, but I don't know how much else I'll be able to eat. So I'll pack a RXbar just in case...

Yesterday's food:

Calories 1655/1700

Carbs 85/100 max

Protein 95/100min (low)

Another meal without any protein and my protein levels didn't meet my minimum. Good to know there is a pattern!

I'm looking forward to getting myself to the gym tomorrow. Hopefully my shoes will fit!!! I've been wearing my HUGE winter boots for the costume or crocks (ugly!!!) around the house. I am looking forward to real shoes soon!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Week 0 days 6 and 7 were OK and I didn't push the exercise.  I decided that socializing was important this weekend, although the hubby kept wanting to leave parties early.  So I had wine and visited with friends.  Last night (Sunday) I was going to do yoga after our friends left and the girls went to bed.  I decided to drink more water and relax versus risking falling down doing yoga.  Not that I drank too much but it was enough to question my yoga ability...    I spent a lot of time this weekend with my foot on ice, stretching it and doing my own version of a deep tissue massage.  I see the physical therapists on Thursday and I'm looking forward to that visit.  

Week 1 has arrived and I'm ready to get back into exercise mode!!!  Food is pretty good if I can stay away from the halloween candy (it will mysteriously be going away very soon) Sleep was weird last night but I blame the wine for that.  Exercise must happen.  And I started the christmas shopping!  I'm also helping my mom get gifts for my girls...  

• Like 4

Just leaving this thought here:

Today is 4 weeks post-surgery.  The foot is feeling pretty good.  I'm amazed that it is still swollen which makes my shoe tight on the right foot, however it is much better than Friday.  Its time to get moving again, although it suck to be starting over at least I didn't backslide and I am starting in a good place.  I'll be spending time working on foot strength and mobility in the evenings (instead of reading too much) and I'll give it till December to decide if its worth pushing towards the Feb 21st half-marathon.  

Rangering on!  

• Like 5

Phew.  Now you can relax because you have a plan for the training.  You've come so far, and I know you will get stronger every day.  Then come December, you take stock of where you are and make a decision for the race.  Not just sensible, it's perfectly sane and reasonable!

• Like 1

That sounds like a wise plan. You are amazing for Rangering through all this.

Phew.  Now you can relax because you have a plan for the training.  You've come so far, and I know you will get stronger every day.  Then come December, you take stock of where you are and make a decision for the race.  Not just sensible, it's perfectly sane and reasonable!

Here's hoping for a good result come December.

Only gazbazillion posts behind!

Thanks for the encouragement.  The Rangers have helped me to keep my spirits high and sail through adversity with minimal damage.

I just did my first StrongLifts workout in 7 weeks and it was a killer!  I have lost a lot of lower body strength, and even with the total deloading, the 45 pound empty bar was hard to squat 25 times. I lost my form a couple of times.  :nightmare:  I felt much stronger on the upperbody lifts today. I also walked just over 5 minutes on the treadmill and the feet were achey, I know some of it is just fatigue and some of it is a new internal configuration.  So I have found my starting point...   But I have a path forward, so lets get going!!!  

• Like 4

Sorry for the stream of thought that I sometimes write, I'm sure my grammar sentence structure are awful at times!!  At work I have someone review all of my writing because I know better. Here goes another stream...

The mini challenge is up for week 1!  Week 1's Skill is General Movement & Getting Around (climbing, rappelling, hiking and mountaineering, rucking, etc). I do so want to run and hike and ruck.  These are all on my to do.  However I am thinking that I need to start small and doable, so its a success. What if I just aim for a longer walk?  What I really want to do is a 2 mile loop out my back door that drops down into the canyon behind my house.  I will do a daily walk of increasing time with the hope that I can take that longer walk/hike on Sunday morning.  Does that sound reasonable?!?!?!  

• Like 7

Just leaving this thought here:

Today is 4 weeks post-surgery.  The foot is feeling pretty good.  I'm amazed that it is still swollen which makes my shoe tight on the right foot, however it is much better than Friday.  Its time to get moving again, although it suck to be starting over at least I didn't backslide and I am starting in a good place.  I'll be spending time working on foot strength and mobility in the evenings (instead of reading too much) and I'll give it till December to decide if its worth pushing towards the Feb 21st half-marathon.  

Rangering on!  

I'm still getting occasional and sometimes significant swelling in my ankle from over two months ago, but it's occasional as opposed to "Look at this basketball dangling from my leg where a foot should be." Just listen to your body and things should progress - never rapidly enough for our liking, but progress they will.

• Like 2

Sorry for the stream of thought that I sometimes write, I'm sure my grammar sentence structure are awful at times!!  At work I have someone review all of my writing because I know better. Here goes another stream...

The mini challenge is up for week 1!  Week 1's Skill is General Movement & Getting Around (climbing, rappelling, hiking and mountaineering, rucking, etc). I do so want to run and hike and ruck.  These are all on my to do.  However I am thinking that I need to start small and doable, so its a success. What if I just aim for a longer walk?  What I really want to do is a 2 mile loop out my back door that drops down into the canyon behind my house.  I will do a daily walk of increasing time with the hope that I can take that longer walk/hike on Sunday morning.  Does that sound reasonable?!?!?!  

If I were writing your goal for you it would read "General Movement & Getting Around: Be Terra in week 1 of this challenge."

• Like 1

If I were writing your goal for you it would read "General Movement & Getting Around: Be Terra in week 1 of this challenge."

But..  I... eh...  yeah, this^^    And this is why you are now our ambassador!  Thanks Tank!!!

I'm off to make pork fajitas (no tortilla for me!) out of the leftover smoked pork roast that we cooked yesterday, yummy!!! 

• Like 3

I had an Alchemy fail today. Last time I blended the Paleo Protein Powder with coffee I added in coconut oil and all was good. Today I decided no oil and the cup exploded all over the counter. I'm guessing that the oil helped keep foam from expanding exponentially. Good to know, no protein in the cup sized mixer unless I use oil too!

Huh.  That might explain why my Magic Bullet exploded and ejected the contents of my Bulletproof beverage all over me the other day... no coconut oil.

Gotta say, I really felt like a mad scientist after having my experiment explode in my face!

The point of this interation of Rangers Gonna Ranger is all about picking your own goals within the confines of the assigned skill.  If the best option for you is a longer walk, go that route.  Just because it isn't specifically mentioned, walking is the most basic of General Movement, right?  Work to your abilities, Terra.  I would hate to see you injured.

• Like 7

So glad you are on the road to healing!

While catching up on your thread, I got quite distracted by the whole Alcide/Eric commentary..focus Xena, focus!

Week 0 days 6 and 7 were OK and I didn't push the exercise.  I decided that socializing was important this weekend, although the hubby kept wanting to leave parties early.  So I had wine and visited with friends.  Last night (Sunday) I was going to do yoga after our friends left and the girls went to bed.  I decided to drink more water and relax versus risking falling down doing yoga.  Not that I drank too much but it was enough to question my yoga ability...  

Just want to point out...that is a perfect opportunity for beer yoga :-)

Heck yes!

With your half marathon training, I think you do at least some work on the treadmill right? As your foot gets a little stronger, maybe you could work in a bunch of incline training? That would help you get your cardio work in without as much strain on your foot....but I'm not sure maybe incline is worse for your foot...

• Like 3

The point of this interation of Rangers Gonna Ranger is all about picking your own goals within the confines of the assigned skill.  If the best option for you is a longer walk, go that route.  Just because it isn't specifically mentioned, walking is the most basic of General Movement, right?  Work to your abilities, Terra.  I would hate to see you injured.

This ^^^ exactly!  The last thing anyone wants is for you to push yourself too hard and re-injure anything.  A longer walk sounds great!  

Don't worry too much about the loss of strength.  I'm sure it will come back pretty quickly, now that you're able to work those muscles again.  

• Like 1

Glad to see you making things work for you and learning where to start. Don't sweat the losses; accept them as more goals to accomplish! You can do this, even if you have to start small. We're right here with you.

• Like 1

Huh.  That might explain why my Magic Bullet exploded and ejected the contents of my Bulletproof beverage all over me the other day... no coconut oil.

Gotta say, I really felt like a mad scientist after having my experiment explode in my face!

The oil (any oil) will inhibit the foam process so I have come to the conclusion that if I want a beverage without oil and just the protein powder it must be made in the bigger blender.  A true and simple bulletproof beverage can be made in the smaller cup sized mixer.   Did I mention that I am married to a PhD chemist and we had a long discussion about this?  

I don't want to get injured myself but I am dying (inside) to get moving.  I am thinking that a "lets see how much I can walk goal" might be all I can do for this week.  So that is what I will do!  Its suppose to get much colder starting tomorrow, but I love the cold crisp air of early winter!  

So glad you are on the road to healing!

While catching up on your thread, I got quite distracted by the whole Alcide/Eric commentary..focus Xena, focus!

Just want to point out...that is a perfect opportunity for beer yoga :-)

Heck yes!

With your half marathon training, I think you do at least some work on the treadmill right? As your foot gets a little stronger, maybe you could work in a bunch of incline training? That would help you get your cardio work in without as much strain on your foot....but I'm not sure maybe incline is worse for your foot...

Alcide/Eric is such a lovely diversion...  And I still have the last season of True Blood, unopened, sitting on the media center at home.  <sigh>

Thank you for the suggestion of the incline training. I really won't know if it would work till I try the incline but it is definitely something the I will try and ask the physical therapists about. I have the additional advantage of training at elevation, with my half- marathon being at almost sea level.   And this type of suggestion is why I dump my stream of consciousness into to my challenge threads.  THANK YOU!!!

This ^^^ exactly!  The last thing anyone wants is for you to push yourself too hard and re-injure anything.  A longer walk sounds great!  

Don't worry too much about the loss of strength.  I'm sure it will come back pretty quickly, now that you're able to work those muscles again.  

Its funny because, I know that this reduced muscle strength is to be expected and that if I work at it it should come back quickly.  I am just struggling with the reality of it all.  Reality has been rough these last few days.  I absolutely hate it when people say something like, "well you are just getting older and that happens with age"  F*% that!  Its not age that is getting to me its the foot problems that I have had my whole life.  I've already put 4 foot surgeries behind me and this is just number 5.  Now I just need to put in the work to overcome it, so I can do the things that I want.  However patience isn't a virtue of mine and frustrations can kick in pretty quick.  So keep reminding me to have patience with my body and someday I'll run that half.  If not Feb 2016 then Feb 2017!!!  

• Like 4

Glad to see you making things work for you and learning where to start. Don't sweat the losses; accept them as more goals to accomplish! You can do this, even if you have to start small. We're right here with you.

Thanks to you (and everyone else) for the support and kind words.  It means so much to me to have the NF community in my corner! 

• Like 3