• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I love Ron Swanson. He is amaze-balls and a God amongst mere mortals. For that reason I shall be following you and watching you become the ultimate Ranger Swanson. Good luck, looks like youre doing amazing so far with all the life changes you have going on.

• Like 1

Challenge Accepted...

20151030_005241_zps7ao9yyaw.jpg

Lol. I like the result, but it's a terrible likeness.

In my defense, that perspective is tough. I have to foreshorten details on a face from beneath. I set his eyes too far apart and his chin/neck looks fat. Plus the page end before the hairline implies baldness. He looks about 20 years older. Maybe that'll keep him motivated to stay in shape if he ever has doubts in the future.

This was actually the second attempt. Once I noticed the problem with the eyes I gave up.

There is nothing terrible about the likeness, Brogo!  Seriously, it looks great.  You have some mad character sketch skills!

• Like 6

Thanks for all the positive feedback on the drawing. It is nice to here that people like it. Also, I like the way it looks too, but I've really been striving for accuracy with these, and I can see what's wrong. Albeit, knowing what's wrong is the first step in making progress. Idk. It's probably my perfectionism that made me leave art the first time around.

• Like 3

Day 0.5

Goal 1, Keto Nutrition: All good here.

Goal 2, Maintain a workout routine: (2) No workout today.

Goal 3, Mobility: This one's not even on my radar yet.

Life Goal, Makin' bacon: One day left till I get to start makin' the bacon. I'll be spending my last day off raking leaves and such.

SQ1: Swanson Pyramid of Greatness

Today's selection: Lv. 4 Selfishness: Take what's yours.

This entry got me thinking a little bit about my current situation. Being back living with my parents and the fact that they've leant me a bunch of money, etc. There are times when I feel a little bit selfish because I could have worked harder to line something up so they didn't have to "take care of" their 31-year-old. Granted most of it is a loan I have to pay back, but I am taking up extra space in their lives (and food). So I think when I do finally start getting paid, I'm gonna set a little bit aside and do something nice like a gift certificate for a restaurant in town or something like that as a thank you.

Like I said. These are quite open to interpretation.

SQ2: Meditation ...

SQ3: Draw teh Nerdz!  (+1) Dark Raider drawing done. I also scanned through a few threads and stockpiled 3-4 more photos.

• Like 4

Thanks for all the positive feedback on the drawing. It is nice to here that people like it. Also, I like the way it looks too, but I've really been striving for accuracy with these, and I can see what's wrong. Albeit, knowing what's wrong is the first step in making progress. Idk. It's probably my perfectionism that made me leave art the first time around.

I like it too. Perhaps one way to talk about what your expert eyes see in your drawings is to start with the positive, then talk about room for improvement instead of what's wrong with the picture. Reframing the way we discuss our own work can go a long way in overcoming perfectionist tendencies.

• Like 1

Today's selection: Lv. 4 Selfishness: Take what's yours.

This entry got me thinking a little bit about my current situation. Being back living with my parents and the fact that they've leant me a bunch of money, etc. There are times when I feel a little bit selfish because I could have worked harder to line something up so they didn't have to "take care of" their 31-year-old. Granted most of it is a loan I have to pay back, but I am taking up extra space in their lives (and food). So I think when I do finally start getting paid, I'm gonna set a little bit aside and do something nice like a gift certificate for a restaurant in town or something like that as a thank you.

Like I said. These are quite open to interpretation.

Sounds like it's a good chance to see when selfishness can affect others, and when selfishness is to help you stand up for yourself (you can be too nice and people will take advantage).  Sometimes you gotta put #1 first - and then there are times you realize you needed other people's help and to know when to return the favor.

That's how I interpret it for you :)

• Like 1

I like what you've been doing and how you're handling this new approach to art.  Maybe your secret is relaxed sketching rather than striving for perfection.  Either way, you've done some great things already and have blown the minds of a few of us (myself included) already!

• Like 3

Thanks again everyone! <3

So here's what I like about it: Matty's likeness comes through pretty strong. And I like th leveel of detail I was able to get on him and his kid even with the very relaxed lines and shading. And glad I pulled off the grin too. That's a big shit-eating grin and I haven't drawn many of those. And glad his kid turned out looking like a kid. Children's proportions are different, and early in the sketches I noticed myself sketching out a very adult looking likeness because again I haven't drawn kids' portraits, maybe ever.

Btw: The relaxed impressionistic thing is really my style. I like line variety and texture. I like drawings and paintings where you can see the technique and even with an infinite amount of time on my hands, I would probably never put a full polish on work like this. Polish conceals personality. Of course, more exposed lines can leave one nitpicking the very position and shade of each or eternity.

Where I messed up: Matty's kid's head is too narrow at the top. Matty's face looks tense and worried, or strained like when someone's taking your picture and you don't really want it taken, when in the picture it's obviously not the case. And the gaze of his left eye doesn't match the right.

Good critique always has a light and dark side. I've got to catch and identify mistakes otherwise I'll never improve.

• Like 3

For some reason, children kept coming to our door begging for candy this evening. That's what happens when we stop teaching children self-reliance; how to fend for themselves and live off the land. They beg.

Happy Halloween.

Here's a picture of Ron dressed as a pirate:

5.jpg

• Like 8

For some reason, children kept coming to our door begging for candy this evening. That's what happens when we stop teaching children self-reliance; how to fend for themselves and live off the land. They beg.

This is one of the many reasons I am excited to follow along. Glad you are sticking around with us Rangers!

• Like 3

Day 0.6

So today is my last day of freedom. Tomorrow I start working again. Hopefully life does not derail as a result.

Goal 1, Keto Nutrition: All good today. I'm worried about tomorrow. I have to figure out what I'm going to eat all day. I have no idea yet what their breakroom setup is like exactly. I'll be likely bringing whey protein for two shakes (one for each 15 min. break), then a lunch with some chicken and veggies of some sort. As long as I get a good breakfast beforehand, that should sustain me.

Goal 2, Maintain a workout routine: (2) No workout today. But I've got two points to make up for this week in which I don't plan to do much. I did do some garden work wherein I finished making a big pile of dirt and grass clippings and leaves and such, but that didn't involved sets and reps. And this is a new challenge. It doesn't count like the old one.

Goal 3, Mobility: For whatever reason I was thinking about what workout routines I might do and how to integrate mobility into warmup. Not sure how I'll integrate this into work breaks (again, not sure how exactly the day will be formatted). I'll probably start with my old meditation leg stretch routine and go from there.

Life Goal, Makin' bacon: The challenge with this one is I will be tempted spend my bacon on some things rather than pay everything off. And some things are truly necessary, like I need new glasses. Also, I really want to get some paints and canvas... maybe that can be my reward for doing well on this portion, or for completing the whole term of employment, or I should set aside a portion of the bonus money.

Today's selection: Lv. 8, Friends: One to three is sufficient.

I had the idea that to carry this one out I'm going to text three of my old friends from Madison that I haven't talked to since I left just to say "Hey, how's it going, etc." Meant to do it today, but I'll do it this week some time.

SQ2: Meditation. Think I'll try to sit for 10 min tomorrow when I get up.

SQ3: Draw teh Nerdz: (2 + 1) Picture of Matty done!

• Like 4

Thanks again everyone! <3

So here's what I like about it: Matty's likeness comes through pretty strong. And I like th leveel of detail I was able to get on him and his kid even with the very relaxed lines and shading. And glad I pulled off the grin too. That's a big shit-eating grin and I haven't drawn many of those. And glad his kid turned out looking like a kid. Children's proportions are different, and early in the sketches I noticed myself sketching out a very adult looking likeness because again I haven't drawn kids' portraits, maybe ever.

Btw: The relaxed impressionistic thing is really my style. I like line variety and texture. I like drawings and paintings where you can see the technique and even with an infinite amount of time on my hands, I would probably never put a full polish on work like this. Polish conceals personality. Of course, more exposed lines can leave one nitpicking the very position and shade of each or eternity.

Where I messed up: Matty's kid's head is too narrow at the top. Matty's face looks tense and worried, or strained like when someone's taking your picture and you don't really want it taken, when in the picture it's obviously not the case. And the gaze of his left eye doesn't match the right.

Good critique always has a light and dark side. I've got to catch and identify mistakes otherwise I'll never improve.

I like the way you reported on this. Like you said, a good balance of light and dark. I especially like how you started with what worked.

I recommend bacon to celebrate.

• Like 2

The clock goes back 1 hour in ten minutes. Normally I rejoice at this extra hour of sleep. But, because I'm beginning this new job tomorrow, its just one more hour that I have to stay up tonight just to help get my sleep aligned with the night shift. Sigh.

All because the government thinks it should control time along with everything else. ;p

• Like 4

Well I made it to 2 am, which should have been 3 am. I woke up at noon because our dog old, crotchety, neurotic curr was barking.

It's gonna be a long, tough night.

I assure you, bacon is on my immediate to-do list.

On the plus side, the scale was at 277.6# when I got up. Nearly another pound has gone the way of the dodo.

• Like 5