» shaarawy » stage i [butterflies & hurricanes]

shaar

change

everything you are

& everything you were

your number has been called

/me pins *guest* badge to her shirt as she steps into the Assassin’s Den.

:o

YES!  Welcome to the first challenge of my brand new themeset!  (In a brand new guild, even?!  WHOA NELLIE) Hi, I'm Shaarawy, a barbell loving uber-nerd journeying over from the Rangers because my goals have become much more... Assassin-ly.  If you’ve followed any of my previous ventures you’ll notice I’m moving away from having a specific “thing†for each of my challenge themes - instead, each 6 weeks I’ll choose a song that’s not only near to my heart, but lyrically works for the spot I’m at in my fitness journey. :)  I love music and weird random stuff, so this should be fun.  (And I’ll have more freedom to not stick with super-specific gifs and imagery throughout 6 weeks... oh haayyylll yes.) (I promise there won’t be a ton of K-Pop.) (Heheheh....)

tumblr_ljtsh8WSig1qbsnap.gif

This first song by Muse I’m using is pretty much hella perfect for me right now.  It’s strong and empowering and all about change.  Interesting yet positive change is happening everywhere in my life and I’m excited to start making some changes here by going back to the basics and focusing on my new loves of primal movement and mobility.  I LOVE PRIMAL MOVEMENT. Like holy moly, I do!  It’s about getting back to basics, being prepared for unpredictability, gaining bodily awareness, and utilizing your entire body to make yourself much more antifragile.  I’m deeply interested in re-training my body how to move properly.  Humans weren’t meant to sit for 8 hours a day or become “domesticated†with silly things like chairs, shoes, sidewalks.  I want to break free of the things that are holding me back, and are weakening and working against my muscles.

I want to become an undomesticated human - to be able to move freely and comfortably, to re-train my body how to sit and squat and stretch the *right* way, and start setting a great foundation for my other fitness endeavors.  I don’t want to play by the rules where adults have to sit still all day (or for hours a day) and lose their playful nature - that’s not me.  I want to roll in grass and scramble up rock faces and climb trees, not only that, but be comfortable doing it, AND INJURY FREE.  Yass.  Injuries SUUUCK.  Jonathan Mead’s blog Uncaged Human [http://jonathanmead.com/blog]  is a HUGE source of inspiration for me, and if you’ve been reading all of this with an eyebrow quirked (shaarawy you’re a weird bird, you might be thinking) take a look at his stuff for a little more clarity or just to further an interest.  It’s all super practical and genuine.  His classes at Camp NerdFitness really hit me like a brick to the face and made me go, YES, I WANT THIS!  

I’m also pairing this with a lot of Kate Galliett’s teachings - she is a mobility fitness coach that really opened my eyes to how HELLA IMMOBILE I am, and I’m so ready to utilize her strengthening drills to not only make me a more mobile person overall, but to re-teach my muscles how to perform and do away with all of the little niggling aches and pains in my body, WHILE continuing to work hard and lift weights.  (And lift weights BETTER, because I’ll be optimizing my body and muscles for strength and efficiency!!!!  I AM REALLY SILLY KINDS OF EXCITED ABOUT THIS.  YES, NERDS.)

So I’m starting small, with the basics.  One small building block at a time as I continue my regular fitness regime outside of this challenge.  (I lift 2-3 days weekly.)  I’m working from the outside in, starting with the feet, hands, extremities, letting them become foundations to support all of my goals.

“Big things come from small beginnings.â€

giphy.gif

i. best, you’ve got to be the best (STA+3 DEX+1)

The number one thing on my list is to work on my resting squat.  (Alternatively called a “caveman squat†or “third world squatâ€.)  It’s a natural human resting position but it’s something we just don’t do anymore now that we have things like... chairs, couches?  (Aside, I LOVE my couch.  Just sayin’.)  The squat is a great mobility tool for SO many areas - feet, ankles, hips, balance, just to name a few.  So, strengthening, mobility, and it’ll help my barbell squats?  Yes, ok, excellent.

I addended resting squats to one of my challenges a while ago, but I REALLY want to focus on it.  I want to squat 30 minutes for 5 out of 7 days.  Not 30 minutes at a time, I can break it up - 5 minutes in the morning while I’m waiting for my coffee, 10 minutes patting a cat (yay), etc.  Add it up over the day. Right now I can hold the pose okay, with some struggle, so I really want to see what 6 weeks of persistence will do!!!

A - Squat 30 minutes for 5 days.

B - Squat 30 minutes for 4 days.

C - Squat 30 minutes for <3 days.

ii. you’ve got to change the world (STR+1 DEX+3)

Ah, Ye Olde Extremities.

I don’t think people think a lot about hand and foot strength much.  I never really did.  ESPECIALLY foot strength.  Like, your feet are pretty important?? They only HOLD YOU UP and move you around, right?  Why did you NEVER really think about foot strength and mobility before, Shaarawy??

I had a bit of a personal “a-ha†moment with this at Camp when I hiked to the waterfall alone one morning.  I was gingerly navigating the stones in the pools, trying to get to a good location for photos, and was having a REALLY HARD TIME getting some stable footwork.  So much of a hard time that I actually slipped and fell into the water up to my calf.

Wow.  I NEVER had trouble with this as a kid, navigating the forest and its intricacies. This was a big wake up call to me that I needed to work on my foot and ankle mobility.  I’m pairing this one with grip strength Because Extremities, and as a lifter, I need to condition my hand muscles better so I’m not so weak with the grabbings.  And, you know, holding things.  (A big takeaway from one of Kate’s videos was that grip strength can affect everything all the way up to your shoulder mobility - WHOA - which you’ll see in juuuust a moment......)

For foot exercises I will use the seven drills in the following video:

http://fitforreallife.com/2015/09/how-to-take-care-of-foot-pain-and-improve-foot-function/

For grip exercises I’ll simply hang from my pull-up bar every time I walk under it. [insert starting time for how long i can hang here.]

A - Hand and foot strengthening for 5 days.

B - Hand and foot strengthening for 4 days.

C - Hand and foot strengthening for <3 days.

iii. and use this chance to be heard (DEX+3)

Shoulder mobility.  AUGH.  My eyes really opened when I attended Kate’s shoulder mobility class at Camp and realized ...  ...   .......... WOW.  Okay.  I suck.  I’m sorry, shoulders, I am a terrible human being who JUST DIDN’T KNOW ANY BETTER *sobs*

I’m going to be utilizing the three mobility exercises from the following video:

http://robbwolf.com/2015/10/12/three-solutions-to-aches-and-pains-that-you-might-not-have-tried-yet/

They are 1. the reverse shrug, 2. the row, and 3. shoulder rotation.  I’ve got a pull up bar here at the house so NO EXCUSES THERE.  Kate recommends 10 reps of each so my goal is to also do this 5 out of 7 days.

A - Shoulder mobility drills for 5 days.

B - Shoulder mobility drills for 4 days.

C - Shoulder mobility drills for <3 days.

iv. your time is now (WIS+2 CHA+2)

Ooo, this is the big one.

After a lot of soul-searching, I’ve decided to take the plunge into a career change that would give me remote flexibility.  Sitting in an office all day is slowly killing me and I’m at the point where I’m ready to make a change for me, my future, and my happiness.  Being able to work from anywhere would be the ultimate end-game for me, and allowing me flexibility with not only my location but my time?  I need this, badly.  I’m ready for more freedom and to break the chains of “9 to 5 lifeâ€.

I want to do remote work as either a junior editor or a content creator.  I love writing and I’ve contributed to multiple big sports blogs in the past with my content.  People have told me multiple times they really like my work and that it’s unique and engaging, and that’s a big “!†for me right there.  I have a great command of the English language.  I have a 4 year Communications degree. I’m unique in that I can not only write, but I also own a DSLR and can photograph my own content.  I have experience in digital design. Why am I not doing this?!...

Oh, it’s scary.  SIGH.  Come on, kid.

I’m in a lucky position right now in that I have a part-time job that seats me at a desk (and computer) 4 days out of the week.  This is perfect for me because I can keep my current income while starting to build my self-portfolio on the side.  There is legitimately ZERO RISK.  None.  Nada.  Zilch.

This quest is pass or fail ONLY - create a website that I can use as a portfolio of my writing skills for future employers, and post at least two articles to start. Photos optional but would be awesome depending on the content.  I’m aiming to keep it “adventure travel†oriented - exploring local places and documenting my journeys. Let’s do this.

A - Website created and designed, two articles posted.

F - How badly do you want this?!

Maaaaaan last challenge of this YEAR?!?!?!! HOLY CRAP. I AM READY, LET'S GOOOOO~!!!!!

giphy.gif

(also an accurate depiction of me in the paper plane flying competition at camp nerdfitness. <3)

• Like 14

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

A full write up and a change up too!!  WOO!!  I shall be here for this! 

I love the music theme for your challenges and I'm really excited for your life quest!  If you need any help with website design or coding, or etc, let me know!  I'm really stoked for your journey and career change!  This is really inspiring :).  This challenge also sounds very assassin like too so yay!!!  Following along chica!!!

Eleven-s-Salutes-doctor-who-for-whovians

• Like 1

Race: Were-Jaguar | Class: CodeMONKey

Level: 18 | STR: 46  | DEX: 41  | STA: 35  | CON: 51  | WIS: 57 | CHA: 47

Spoiler

---

Challenges: CURRENT

18TH | 17TH | 16TH 15TH 14TH | 13TH | 12.5TH | 12TH | 11TH |

10TH | 9TH | 8TH 7TH | 6TH | 5TH | 4TH | 3RD | 2ND | 1ST

Accountbilbuddies: Artists unite for March/April 2017!

---

"Everyone's the same height when you punch them hard enough"

---

NF Character Profile | BATTLE LOG | Tumblr | DeviantArt | Warhammer 40k Shenanigans

Here for the grip work and shoulder mobility! Let's compare notes!

YES TO BOTH!  Oh, the challenges of not completely "woo hoo" things, but necessary for A+ movement!

A full write up and a change up too!!  WOO!!  I shall be here for this! 

I love the music theme for your challenges and I'm really excited for your life quest!  If you need any help with website design or coding, or etc, let me know!  I'm really stoked for your journey and career change!  This is really inspiring :).  This challenge also sounds very assassin like too so yay!!!  Following along chica!!!

Eleven-s-Salutes-doctor-who-for-whovians

I AM INSPIRED TOO!!!  I hope my inspiration sticks, and doesn't get all wibbly wobbly.  I think my consistent low-grade dislike for sitting in my office will keep me fueled, though...

• Like 1

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...

»  kom starkru

YES TO BOTH!  Oh, the challenges of not completely "woo hoo" things, but necessary for A+ movement!

I AM INSPIRED TOO!!!  I hope my inspiration sticks, and doesn't get all wibbly wobbly.  I think my consistent low-grade dislike for sitting in my office will keep me fueled, though...

It doesn't always need to be sparkle-shine, sometimes you have to drill the fundamentals. We're both starting new things, so we'll be better off if we embrace the suck, put in the time, and build that foundation, yeah?

Chairs, man. They're trying to kill us.

• Like 1

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

Wait, we steal Assassins, not the other way around ;) Good luck this challenge!

• Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Lol. The tables be turning in all different directions this challenge season!

• Like 2

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Lol. The tables be turning in all different directions this challenge season!

Right?!?!  It already seems like there's a lot of guild hopping going on this challenge!  VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE!........? :D

• Like 3

»  kom starkru

AWESOME challenge! Really happy you're going for the career you want, and can't wait to hopefully read your articles! Way to be brave, Shaarawy <3

• Like 3

level 21 magic cat druid, doodlie for life

sucking at something is the first step to being sort of good at something

past challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Current

(old) Battle LogBattle Log

AWESOME challenge! Really happy you're going for the career you want, and can't wait to hopefully read your articles! Way to be brave, Shaarawy <3

So many hearts for you, lady! YOU are brave and awesome! :D  Looking forward to your next feats of greatness!!

• Like 2

»  kom starkru

Gonna be here, following you along :D

AAAAH YOU HAVE JOINED US I AM SO HAPPY!!!!! :D!!

Y'all I am so HYPE to be in the Assassins right meow!!!

cPIWd.jpg

(wow such hype)

• Like 4

»  kom starkru

Found you hiding over here! ;) Best of luck for the new challenge.

Kate's classes were a real eye-opener for me too, shame the Shoulder Mobility was full when I made it over there for it.  But I've got enough work to do on my other major joints to keep me busy for now!

• Like 2

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: #OperationWeddingSuit

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 

Found you hiding over here! ;) Best of luck for the new challenge.

Kate's classes were a real eye-opener for me too, shame the Shoulder Mobility was full when I made it over there for it.  But I've got enough work to do on my other major joints to keep me busy for now!

I really wanted to go to hip mobility too, but alas. :(  I think I've scoured her website enough to find a bevy of lovely information, though!

Doesn't it feel like there's SO MUCH to do with mobility??  Like, I'm starting slow with hands/shoulders/feet... but that's just the tip of the bodily iceberg.  Waaah~

• Like 1

»  kom starkru

I really wanted to go to hip mobility too, but alas. :(  I think I've scoured her website enough to find a bevy of lovely information, though!

Doesn't it feel like there's SO MUCH to do with mobility??  Like, I'm starting slow with hands/shoulders/feet... but that's just the tip of the bodily iceberg.  Waaah~

Ahahaha I'm jumping right in to the neck and spine and definitely feel like drowning is occurring. Massage Person Halp Plz.

• Like 1

Haha, a challenge filled with squats is one I can't possibly ignore! You go!

Love the fact you're going to work on shoulder mobility too. I will also do that this challenge! (though not specifically, I will work on ALL THE MOBILITY because I can't choose :P )  

• Like 1

Now I want to re-read Pretty Deadly

Alright here for the fun and much catching up :)

• Like 2

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37
Current Challenge : ----

Found you !

OHAITHAR!! :D

Haha, a challenge filled with squats is one I can't possibly ignore! You go!

Love the fact you're going to work on shoulder mobility too. I will also do that this challenge! (though not specifically, I will work on ALL THE MOBILITY because I can't choose :tongue: )  

ALL OF THE SQUATS!!!!

Ugh I too want ALL OF THE MOBILITY but I figure if I start slow it'll be more sustainable and easy... but I really do want it all RIGHT MEOW!

You had me at Butterflies and Hurricanes <3

YASS <3  Muse and Coldplay both took over my mp3 player for a LONG time!

Soooooo this is still the unofficial Ranger chat thread right? RIGHT?!

I'm looking forward to this website! No pressure :tongue:

RANSASSIN

Sounds like some kind of ethnic foodstuff??

I'm pretty good with Wordpress but some of it makes me go WHAT IN THE SEVEN HELLS.  So we will see.  Also I need a NAME.  That's seriously been the hardest part so far.................

Now I want to re-read Pretty Deadly

Alright here for the fun and much catching up :)

HEY STRANGER!! :D  How goes the move and etc??

• Like 1

»  kom starkru