Game On, ShadowLion!

What to Expect

Techno Ranger Sorcery - technology, coding, biohacking, mobility work, walking --> hiking/rucking, macro tracking, productivity and learning hacks, metaphysical speculation, octalysis

Renaissance Rebelry - writing, a little artwork here and there, some music, knitting, spinning, sewing

ShadowLiony Silliness - cats, otters, gifs and vids, puns, alliteration and other wordplay

CONSTRUCTION ZONE

Story

The World

The Situation

The Stakes

The Characters

The Game

The Process

Challenge

Objectives

Goals

Fitness

Eating

Life Quest

Accountability

PVPs

Process

Trello

Surveys

Beta tests

Feedback

Help

Reference

An Upside-Down, Inside-Out, Backwards, Paradoxical, Crazy Like a ShadowLion
Challenge In Which She Plans Her Escape From the Sprawling Megalopolis

And Gets Back to Her Ranger Roots As a Techno-Ranger Sorceress

"The Game of All Games is Life."

~ Ariel ha' Chakam, the First Malakh Reality Hacker

A Reality Hacker plays The Game in physical reality, all the while knowing that

The Game is Won or Lost Within the Mind.

The Reality Hacker's choice of role or character determines her skills and method of playing The Game.

This Reality Hacker Chooses to Play as a Techno-Ranger Sorceress.

gallery_17054_1921_44348.jpg

Character Name: ShadowLion

Alignment: Chaotic Good
Race: Malakh-Human Hybrid
Class: Ranger
Skills: Stealth, concealment, techno-sorcery

Knowledge: Route finding and desert survival, first aid

Favored Weapons: Espada y daga (sword and dagger); open-hand; the occasional fireball

Separated from her magical order, ShadowLion has spent the last eight years living in a sprawling desert Megalopolis. This challenge, she will plan and prepare herself physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually to escape the city and return to her ancestral home high on the remote, northern plateau.

Though she does not know when her departure will be, she is determined to live once again in the shadow of the Sacred Mountains. She has resolved to start her Journey as soon as she can reliably provide for those who depend on her. In the meantime, she continues to search for any remaining members of her order.

A Reality Hacker's Creative Medium is Time and Space

Thus, a Reality Hacker Must Be Prepared to Deal With Paradox.

A sorceress must fully accept the who, what, where and why of her situation before she can hope to see how to change it.
Once she has truly seen through the distorted lens, she realizes she has already changed it,
She was merely waiting for time to catch up to her. The how was there all along, contained within the when.

ShadowLion Vows to Pursue The Goals Contained in Her Epic Quest

Using the Abstraction Layer Favored by Her Order.

The Sisterhood of the Dragon utilizes a combination of "Paths"

and associated elements to organize their mystical workings.

gallery_17054_1984_667139.png

Elements of ShadowLion's Ongoing Epic Quest

The following four goals are the major components of my Epic Quest. The Challenge Missions are meant to move me a measurable distance further towards completing my goals.

SCHOLAR/AIR
Bring to life the fantasy fiction series that I've been writing for lo, these many years.

An intellectual challenge, a skill that needs further development, and a message that needs to be heard.
Challenge Mission: Write. Minimum 45 minutes per day, at least 5 days per week, BEFORE work. The Writer's Guild Accountability Group (__/30)

HEALER/WATER
Return to my beloved northern AZ mountains to build my little bit of heaven in the pines.

Rest for the body, peace for the mind, food for my soul.
Challenge Mission: At least one hour per week researching building codes and other information I need to decide on a course of action and start planning; financial assessment. (__/7)

MAGICIAN/FIRE
Develop awesome apps that help people achieve their dreams.

Learning, Technology, and Service, all in one small package. Where I must take care is to not flame out from too much work and stress and not enough rest and balance.
Challenge Mission: Work no more than 50 hours per week (__/6)
. Of those 50 hours,

10 hours per week dedicated to study and skill advancement. (__/6), and

10 hours per week on paperwork and promotions. (__/6)

WARRIOR/EARTH
Get back into fire-fighting shape, so that I can work on a wildland engine again.
Challenge Mission: Walk at least 31 miles total distance over the course of the challenge (These boots were made for walking - PVP). (__/31)

Eat 1.5-2 cups of fruit and 2-3 cups of vegetables daily. (__/30)

PRIESTESS/AETHER (The Center)

Unify the Elements above into a healthy, happy life.

Develop as a leader and a teacher. Pass on what I have learned in 57 years on this planet.

Challenge Mission: Meditate daily for at least 10 minutes. (__/30)

Meditate daily for at least 10 minutes. (__/30)

Actions That Support ShadowLion's Four Main Missions

A Sorceress understands that success proceeds from the inside out, that things are not always what they seem, and that sometimes to stay motivated, one must consume dessert first. The magical life is filled with paradox and there are many challenges along the way. A sorceress must be prepared to utilize everything in her environment to further her goals.

The rest of my challenge supports the four Challenge Missions, shores up weaknesses, or works areas that are just for fun or simply don't fit anywhere else. The challenge to the sorceress - Find the pattern hidden within the seeming chaos.

• Like 2

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

These are ongoing lists that will roll over from challenge to challenge until complete. Starred items are those things I plan to work on this challenge in addition to my stated challenge missions outlined above.

Projects  - These are short to long term series of actions, resulting in an actual product or end achievement such as a completed class, software product, or DIY project. These extend beyond this challenge period and are medium to large subsets of the 4 goals identified above. There is some overlap between them. Therefore, I have chosen a number of animal totems to use as organizing principles for my various projects.

DRAGONFLY

med_gallery_17054_1984_515170.jpg

The dragonfly is associated with both air and water. A dragonfly's compound eyes provide complete vision of the frontal hemisphere and it is a quick, agile, and strong flier that can change its flight direction suddenly and up or down, forward or backward, left or right. 

These qualities make it an appropriate totem for any of my projects related to Intellect, Planning, Observation, Memory, Productivity, Agility, Speed.

* Break down all major projects into plan overview, strategy, tasks, and schedule them

* Construct Master Spread Sheets for routines, challenges, Household Inventory
3D Array of goals, projects, tasks, toads for challenges - This will be the basis for learning project that will work with a variety of Javascript technologies, data handling, and algorithms for sorting and prioritizing
Create custom planner app that includes routines, reminders, reviews, as well as the usual calendar and schedule.

* SuperBetter Book and Site - Use this knowledge to further gamify my challenges and improve my apps.

* Create my "Memory Palace," which is really more of a "Ranger Cabin of Traditions and Technologies," document my methods and experiments for a blog and an ebook.

OTTER

med_gallery_17054_1984_173196.jpg

Water and Earth. Otters love to have fun. Social, and just plain cute, they also manage to feed themselves and their families, and to survive in style, without being too serious. Their focus is on experiencing the joy of life; they don't need a lot of stuff. This category includes recreation, socializing, simplicity, and making sure I don't overwork myself.

Cloaks and Daggers - The Rangers Costume Contest

Renaissance Rebels - Challenge accountability group for creative pursuits

* Friend Time

Minimalism PVP

PHOENIX

med_gallery_17054_1984_1004595.jpg

This mythical bird represents creative fire. This seems like a good fit for my business projects and my techno-rangering. 

* MongoDB Course

* Udemy Courses - Focusing on MEAN stack  - Mongo, Express, Angular and Node - plus server admin skills.

* At least one Hackathon or startup weekend type activity between October 1 and December 1, 2015

* Code3SG site up and running

* Rotowind site finished

Phase 2 of Code Sisters site

Rework of SAS site

CATS!!!
Cats. Big and small cats. Fit. Flexible. Fierce. Territorial and therefore capable fighters. 
Earth Element. I associate them with the physical aspects of my challenge and related projects, silent stalking, and self-sufficiency. 

* Handstand
* 5 minute plank

* Flexibility work, NF Yoga, Supple Leopard
Rangers Mini Challenge

Adventures and "Get out of Dodge"

Ranger Up, little cub! No whining. Use that energy for adventures...

med_gallery_17054_923_115322.jpg

And some hey diddle, diddle, the cat and the fiddle...

med_gallery_17054_1640_46970.jpg

DRAGON

gallery_17054_1984_138913.jpg

Inside Out - Lucid Dreaming

* Magnetic "hack your wetware" device, complete with DIY instructions

gallery_17054_1393_26268.jpg

More Purple and the Secret Goal

Find the Sisters

gallery_17054_1772_780.png

Tasks  - These are short term actions, which are either one-off actions or repeated actions meant to build longer term habits and/or complete projects

DRAGONFLY

* Use at least 3 productivity hacks daily to get the most out of that time

* Challenge Spreadsheet, Trello boards as needed for specific goals

* Compile a reading and study plan for each of my four goals

OTTER

* Make time for creative, recreational things

Complete decluttering and deep clean of the main bath (Minimalism PVP) 

PHOENIX

* One work related meetup, conference, or other educational or networking activity per week

CAT

DRAGON

Toads - These are obstacles that I need to overcome, actions I need to take or things that otherwise stand in the way of my tasks, projects, or missions.

* Compile list of of any uncompleted Toads from previous challenges and merge with current list

* Catch up on Correspondence

Rewards - Treats for hitting milestones and/or successful completion of various of my tasks, projects, or missions.

* New shower curtain and rings for main bath once I have completely decluttered and deep cleaned it.

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Game Development

gallery_17054_2043_62952.jpg

Ongoing updates, information on what is happening in my various entrepreneurial and coding adventures.

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Reserved

Writing & Art

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

DIY

Biohacking Projects

Crafting

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I'm just gonna make myself comfortable with my laptop in corner, okay?  Gonna be taking notes.

• Like 3

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Current:   Cry Havoc™: Bladesong of the Warhawk

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Reserved:

Encouraging Words

• Like 6

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Reserved:

Encouraging Words

Have heard of "the range," and/or thought of making a home on it?

• Like 3

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

*sits down in corner with notebook and many colored pens to take proper notes* 

• Like 1

Level 71 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

*rappels in from the ceiling, hovers over laser security grid and turns on infrared goggles and pulls out notebook and starts taking notes*

• Like 1

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

tumblr_m6wh7b2bV91rziwwco1_500.gif

Hi! Love your avatar - knitting is a great post-apocalyptic survival skill!

I'm just gonna make myself comfortable with my laptop in corner, okay?  Gonna be taking notes.

Make yourself at home. Hoping to make this an interesting hangout for anyone interested in techno-rangery-magery!

Reserved:

Encouraging Words

Thanks!

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Reserved: 

ShadowLion Kickassery ;)

Hey, spookyfoot!

Squee! Ready to watch the awesomes unfold.

giphy.gif

Hi, Raxie!

Have heard of "the range," and/or thought of making a home on it?

Ha! Good one, Brogo!

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I tried to resist but I'm going to have just follow along. Didn't want to do any work anyway !

Hope to keep you entertained while you procrastinate!

*sits down in corner with notebook and many colored pens to take proper notes* 

Hi! Many colored pens are required for proper note-taking...one of the things that my other half shakes his head at. Didn't touch those in the Great Decluttering so far, and probably won't!

*rappels in from the ceiling, hovers over laser security grid and turns on infrared goggles and pulls out notebook and starts taking notes*

Hai, rowan! Lots of note-taking going on, but you've made the grandest entrance so far!

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Updated game dev portion with a teaser graphic for one of the secret projects I have been working on. Planning to do some more work on the firefighter (since it was repurposed from earlier work - refactor!) and I'm not happy with the values and contrast in it yet, but I got the general idea.

Going to be doing lots of iterating based on your feedback. At this point, I am operating very lean. If it is roughly in the ballpark, I'm forcing myself to throw it out there and see where it goes.

Rapid prototyping, refactoring, sprints - running lean and agile are going to be my focus. I spend too much time dithering and tweaking and changing minute details and then don't get stuff out in a timely manner. Endurance training is for hiking. Dev work is going to be a bunch of sprints, baby!

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Going to be doing lots of iterating based on your feedback.

The best kind of iteration.  You know I'm on board!

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Current:   Cry Havoc™: Bladesong of the Warhawk

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

That looks like an impressively structured challenge.

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

The best kind of iteration.  You know I'm on board!

Yep! Will be looking for your suggestions and ideas. Once I can get my thread together! I keep getting caught up in the explosion that is the Rangers forum and spending my free time just trying to keep up with yours, Raxie's and Wolf's threads!

Remember - 80% of people won't be able to tell the difference between your 100% effort and your 80% effort, and those that can will give you the most useful feedback. Real engineers ship, as they say

Yes! I played around with a challenge title that included "Games|(wo)man|ship" but it was too obscure and awkward. Shipping is a big focus right now. If I can finally get my post "shipped" before the challenge actually starts!

That looks like an impressively structured challenge.

Thanks, Luciana! The skeleton is there, just have to finish fleshing it out! 

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Stalking.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Deep breath... The challenge hasn't even started yet and I already feel like I am behind!

Enough of this madness. I've decided that I will take the time I need to create my challenge, even if that means it isn't done before Monday. That said, however, I won't waste a lot of time polishing and perfecting it, either. Once it's at least 80%, I'll "ship it."

Overall Approach

This is going to be a balancing act and a gradual upping of my game in the face of a very heavy work and study load. Agile software development methods applied to real life, productivity hacks, intense work sprints alternating with relaxation breaks to insure that I don't burn out or get sick - this will be interesting an experiment. 

Food Decisions

The last few weeks have shown that I need to embrace my inner carnivore again. As much as I like vegetarianism, I need the meats to keep my energy high and to get enough protein. Maybe sometime in the future I can return to it and see if I can fix the energy dips and protein gaps with better cooking skills and nutrition knowledge. Right now is not the time for that, though. I am contemplating returning to the regimen that I was doing a little over a year ago that I think of as the Farmsteader DietTM.

That worked the best of any long term eating strategy that I have tried. Basically, eat what my great grandparents ate down on the farm - lots of veggies, some fruit, whole fat dairy, eggs, moderate meat consumption, natural sweeteners only and those sparingly, moderate amounts of slow carbs like legumes, nuts, and seeds, plus whole grains in the form of homemade breads and pasta, amounts dependent on how much exercising I am doing. Starchy vegetables like potatoes permitted for carb loading before endurance feats. Done right, I shouldn't need "cheat days"; the occasional feast/festival indulgence shouldn't disrupt my progress or be cause for wringing my hands or gnashing my teeth.

This will require more cooking and baking than I have been doing lately. I've been depending on some of the processed vegetarian items and taking some shortcuts with baked goods. That has not been very beneficial. It will take some kitchen hacking to make this work, but I should be able to refactor recipes and batch cooking ideas from past challenges to help. Winter will be good for crock pot meals. And it may well be time to bite he bullet and get a stand alone freezer. Our old refrigerator is still hanging in there, but the freezer space is really limited and it doesn't keep stuff as long as it used to before stuff gets freezer burned. I will need to buy good meat in bulk and on sale to keep costs reasonable and will need freezer space to keep that and to store bigger batch cooks. 

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir