• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RoxyFreefall

Roxy is almost there...Take 2. {rmkwilson}

I Wants To Believe!

Edit: I am creating a theme this challenge to liven things up. I am also super excited about the new season of X-Files coming out this January.

Last challenge I built some really great exercise habits. I plan on continuing those this challenge. BUT last challenge also proved that I am still having really issues with food. I hope this challenge I can begin to eliminate those. The issues in which I refer are the typical; eating due to boredom, thirst confused with hunger, portion control, “cheat meals†turning into “cheat weekends or weeksâ€, and poor food choices. I have also been struggling with blood sugar control. Not taking the right amount of insulin at the right time and taking it while into account exercise. When my sugars drop too low I tend to over compensate by over eating. This challenge I plan on working all the mentioned issues.

Main Quest:

Get my weight down into the healthy weight range (<158lbs), my waist measurement into a healthy zone (<35" for women), and body fat % around 25%

IWantToBelieve

Mulder's Quest:

Food:

1. Follow MFP: set to lose 1lb/week (1340 calories)- eat only those calories allowed and burned
  2. Eat "power foods": Weight Watchers has a list of nutrient dense foods it recommends. I will try to build meals from these and limit other foods.
  3. Carbs: keep carbs to 40% of overall calories consumed
  4. Fruits and Veggies: trying to build up to the 9/day recommended guidelines eat 1 serving fruit with breakfast, 1 serving of fruit and 1 serving of veggies with lunch, and 2 servings of veggies with dinner.
  5. Water: drink 9-10 cups of water daily.
  6. Triggers: Find the triggers for over eating and low sugars. Learn how to deal with the triggers without eating, and learn how to avoid lows.

No foods are off limits. In order to make this a life style all foods have to be an option. Portion control is key here. Drinking water and learning from my feelings will go a long way with this goal. The fruits and veggies will the most challenging out of all of them. I eat maybe 2 servings per day now. This goal will be important to follow in order to get me through the holiday season. I will like to start 2016 in a new weight bracket..."healthy".

The Fox Mulder approach: Mulder is persistent to a fault. He believes even when other do not.  He never wavers in the face of danger or difficult times. His persistence will be my motivation. I never his open minded obsessive mannerisms to make this goal a success.

xfiles unnatural road To excess

Mulder icecream

Scully's Quest:
Exercise:

1. walk 10,000 steps daily
  2. workout session 4x/week.

This goal will just hopefully keep going from last challenge. It will no longer be the main focus, but instead be used to add a few more calories available each day. Adding strength with be an added benefit.

The Scully approach: Dana Scully is one strong women. She has fought for her friends, her family, and her life (many times). She is truly a women to look up to. She will be my role model this challenge. I will complete this quest with her in mind. Being failthful to my goals and build strength to be a better fighter.

scully zombies

scully fightingcancer

The Loan Gunmen's Goals:

1. read
  2. game
  3. money tracking

This goal is for stress relief, me time, and financial gain. Goodbudget app has been a huge help for my husband and myself. We will keep this up and hope the bank accounts start to grow.

The Lone Gunmen approach: The Lone Gunmen are a team of intelligent and brave men who are always willing to help. They are also gamers (as we learned in the episode about virtual gaming). So I will try to gain intelligence through reading, be wise about spending, and follow in their footsteps and game.

lone gunmen Wp By punster almighty

• Like 5

Hopping aboard the Roxy Challenge express!

Welcome Aboard Sir. I hope you enjoy the ride.

Wahoo for a food challenge!  Yummy! 

Thanks for joining me. I just hope the focus on food doesn't back fire and make me hungry all the time. :nightmare:  Like when you say you are going to diet then all of a sudden you are starving. Maybe that only happens to me.

Following along for the ride, expecting the awesome at regular intervals!

I shall try to not disappoint.

• Like 1

WEEK 0 Day 1:

The main component of eat meal was a power food. I think maybe 1 thing at each meal wasn't. So that is pretty good. I also managed to get 5 servings of fruits and veggies on day 1, Goal complete. Carbs were at 48% for the day and calories were at 1617 out of 1500. So neither of these goals gain a point. Struggled with a low blood sugar again so I had a few gummy bears. I then had a glass of milk and piece of cheese before bed. This put me over my targets. I am not sure wy I had a low sugar yesterday. I measured my food portions and gave the appropriate amount of insulin. I will keep tracking this and see if I can figure anything out. At this point I am a little stumped. 10K steps completed, but no other exercise. Mondays are busy.

I am tracking oz/cups of water/liquid I drink per day. Would you all count my smoothies I drink for breakfast? (They are 32oz of fruit, yogurt, protein powder, water, and ice.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quest Completion Tracking:

Food:

1. Follow MFP: set to lose 1lb/week (1340 calories)- eat only those calories allowed and burned 0/7
  2. Eat "power foods": Weight Watchers has a list of nutrient dense foods it recommends. I will try to build meals from these and limit other foods. 1/7
  3. Carbs: keep carbs to 40% of overall calories consumed 0/7
  4. Fruits and Veggies: trying to build up to the 9/day recommended guidelines eat 1 serving fruit with breakfast, 1 serving of fruit and 1 serving of veggies with lunch, and 2 servings of veggies with dinner. 1/7
  5. Water: drink 9-10 cups of water daily. 1/7
  6. Triggers: Find the triggers for over eating and low sugars. Learn how to deal with the triggers without eating, and learn how to avoid lows.

Side Quest Completion Tracking:
Exercise:

1. walk 10,000 steps daily 1/7
  2. workout session 4x/week. 0/4

Life Goals Completion Tracking:

1. read
  2. game
  3. money tracking

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Weight Tracking:

Week 0 Starting Weight (10/26/15) = 167.6lbs

I get it!  It like when you track your food and at the end of the day you are 300 calories under your goal so you eat something just because it fits in the macro not because you are hungry...  

WEEK 0 Day 2:

I have decided to theme up my challenge this time. A good motivational theme never hurts. I don't think I can modify my challenge title but it is okay. It is not necessary.

Day 2 went pretty well. Walking and Yoga happened. I hit my calorie goal and water intake goal. I have decided to count my smoothies as liquid intake rather then considering them as solid food. I also got in my servings of fruits and veggies. I am doing fairly well with making the main dish a power food also. I did not however keep my carbs to 40%, i ate 50% carbs. I am going to reserve the right to modify this goal to 50% is 40% proves to tough for my eating habits.

Mulder's Quest Completion Tracking:

Food:

1. Follow MFP: set to lose 1lb/week (1340 calories)- eat only those calories allowed and burned 1/7
  2. Eat "power foods": Weight Watchers has a list of nutrient dense foods it recommends. I will try to build meals from these and limit other foods. 2/7
  4. Fruits and Veggies: trying to build up to the 9/day recommended guidelines eat 1 serving fruit with breakfast, 1 serving of fruit and 1 serving of veggies with lunch, and 2 servings of veggies with dinner. 2/7
  5. Water: drink 9-10 cups of water daily. 2/7

Scully's Quest Completion Tracking:
Exercise:

1. walk 10,000 steps daily 2/7
  2. workout session 4x/week. 1/4

The Lone Gunmen's Goals Completion Tracking:

1. read
  2. game
  3. money tracking
  • Like 3

WEEK 0 Day 3:

Wednesday was a day I let go of. I ate too much. I also ate way to many carbs. Alfredo pasta with bread and fudge for dinner! I did however eat my fruits and veggies. I also drank my fluids...I did not (and will not) track the alcohol that was consumed. I don't drink much, but have started adding a small sip of something to my evenings on an occasion. It helps with stress. :redface-new:  Wednesdays are me and the hubby's night alone so I splurged with a fresh baked loaf of bread and pasta. I definitely over ate. To the point of feeling gross. Today the scale is up a lot and I know it was all the carbs and sugar. Unfortunately Thursdays are my weigh in days with WeightWatchers. Oh well. I knew I should have watched portions and I didn't. Calorie count is around 2032 at a best estimate and 63% carbs. Very little of what I ate last evening was a power food so no points awarded there either. I did walk my steps though. So a couple of things accomplished at least.

Food:

1. Follow MFP: set to lose 1lb/week (1340 calories)- eat only those calories allowed and burned 1/7
  2. Eat "power foods": Weight Watchers has a list of nutrient dense foods it recommends. I will try to build meals from these and limit other foods. 2/7
  4. Fruits and Veggies: trying to build up to the 9/day recommended guidelines eat 1 serving fruit with breakfast, 1 serving of fruit and 1 serving of veggies with lunch, and 2 servings of veggies with dinner. 3/7
  5. Water: drink 9-10 cups of water daily. 3/7

Exercise:

1. walk 10,000 steps daily 3/7
  2. workout session 4x/week. 1/4

1. read
  2. game
  3. money tracking
  • Like 1

Just got back from Weight Watchers. I am up 2lbs, which I suspected. We talked about handling places and people during the holiday season. It was a good discussion. We have also been talking about how important protein is. I have been trying to encourage the other members to try and  increase their protein intake. They are all very reluctant. I think they are scared to give up their carbs. But I did walk away with a great quote I would like to share. It can relate to a lot of situations in life.

"The strength inside you is greater than the challenge ahead of you."

This will be a good one to remember each time I am about to overdo the food.

• Like 1

WEEK 0 Day 4:

It was a good day. Lots happened...

-followed MFP; 1555/1618

-ate my fruits and veggies

-drank my liquids

-carbs at 44%

-lots of powerfoods

-walked my steps

-did some feet and wrist stretches

-completed a round of squats, wall pushups, mountain climbers, and back kicks

Food:

1. Follow MFP: set to lose 1lb/week (1340 calories)- eat only those calories allowed and burned 2/7
  2. Eat "power foods": Weight Watchers has a list of nutrient dense foods it recommends. I will try to build meals from these and limit other foods. 3/7
  3. Carbs: keep carbs to 40% of overall calories consumed 1/7
  4. Fruits and Veggies: trying to build up to the 9/day recommended guidelines eat 1 serving fruit with breakfast, 1 serving of fruit and 1 serving of veggies with lunch, and 2 servings of veggies with dinner. 4/7
  5. Water: drink 9-10 cups of water daily. 4/7

Exercise:

1. walk 10,000 steps daily 4/7
  2. workout session 4x/week. 2/4

1. read
  2. game
  3. money tracking
  • Like 1

I have been trying to encourage the other members to try and  increase their protein intake. They are all very reluctant. I think they are scared to give up their carbs.

The fear is real!  I'm still catching on to the idea that I can have less carbs and still be happy.

Liking your day 4.  Great stuff!

• Like 1

The fear is real!  I'm still catching on to the idea that I can have less carbs and still be happy.

I never thought I could reduce my carbs as much as I have. I was eating about 75% of my calories from carbs and I am down to ~45% (when I am good). It gets easier, then all of a sudden you crave it. When I have a carb heavy meal now I feel like crud. And very quickly want more food. I think it is the lack of protein and nutrients. Nothing wrong with taking it slow or even just giving it a try. If it isn't for you that is okay too. But I think everyone should at least give it a try.

• Like 2

Part of the reason we are hungry again so soon after a carbalicious meal is that those carbs are usually highly processed. Many processed carbs=broken into sugars fast=high blood sugar=OD on insulin=low blood sugar=hungry. Not sure how that works for you RM with diabetes, but for most of us that's what happens.

I never thought I could reduce my carbs as much as I have. I was eating about 75% of my calories from carbs and I am down to ~45% (when I am good). It gets easier, then all of a sudden you crave it. When I have a carb heavy meal now I feel like crud. And very quickly want more food. I think it is the lack of protein and nutrients. Nothing wrong with taking it slow or even just giving it a try. If it isn't for you that is okay too. But I think everyone should at least give it a try.

This.  The struggle is two-fold, and it is real.

Don't think for a second that you're struggling with carbs alone, Roxy.  I'm right there with you.  The trick for me has been discovering the perfect balance of carbs to fats and protein... but honestly, I'm still refining that because the cravings strike with alarming savagery sometimes.

• Like 1

Oh, an X-files theme! Scully is the *best* role model!

tumblr_inline_mmzplySml31qz4rgp.gif

... also, I really like your food challenge and the focus on awareness and portions instead of off-limits-food. Will be interesting to follow along through the challenge. :)

• Like 1

WEEK 0 Day 5 and 6:

Day 5 was a little food heavy. Chili cook off at work, so I had that instead of my planned meal. Then dinner was corn dogs and fries. Delishous but no nutrients.

Day 6 (Halloween) was a good day. My daughter and I painted and made some tie-dye shirts to fill in the afternoon. I have never tie-dyed before so the shirts come out with mixed results. But she likes them. I let her paint on a canvase and et her do her own thing. Which is hard. I want to guide her and tell her what to do, but I didn't. I let her use her 4year old imagination. Then it was time for a nap and then trick-or-treating. She was Twilight Sparkle from My Little Pony. So cute. She was so excited. Did a lot of runing fom house to house. So proud of her for all the use of her manners. So much fun. But most importantly I kept control and didn't sit down with the candy bowl. I may find a place to donate the candy, and only keep her favorites in the house. I will have to think about that.

Day 5-

Each meal had a little too many calories. Carbs were very close to being within target range.

-drank my liquids

-walked my steps

Day 6-

It was a decent day. Kept great control on a sugar holiday!

-followed MFP; 1463/1543

-drank my liquids

-carbs at 45%

-walked my steps

-did some feet and wrist stretches

-completed a round of squats, wall pushups, mountain climbers, and back kicks

Food:

1. Follow MFP: set to lose 1lb/week (1340 calories)- eat only those calories allowed and burned 3/7
  2. Eat "power foods": Weight Watchers has a list of nutrient dense foods it recommends. I will try to build meals from these and limit other foods. 3/7
  3. Carbs: keep carbs to 40% of overall calories consumed 2/7
  4. Fruits and Veggies: trying to build up to the 9/day recommended guidelines eat 1 serving fruit with breakfast, 1 serving of fruit and 1 serving of veggies with lunch, and 2 servings of veggies with dinner. 4/7
  5. Water: drink 9-10 cups of water daily. 6/7

Exercise:

1. walk 10,000 steps daily 6/7
  2. workout session 4x/week. 3/4

1. read
  2. game Complete
  3. money tracking
  • Like 1

WEEK 0 Day 7:

It was a fun day and a busy day.  It was Grant's Farms (a deer park owned by Anheuser) last day of the season and my daughter likes it there. So we went. It was not crouded at all and it was great weather. She got to feed the goats and camels, and one of the workers let her give a handful of corn to the birds. Then she went into the parakeet cage to feed them. She laughed so hard. All the goats pushing in for a bottle didn't scare her. She thought it was great. But then it was back to the adult life with chores and cooking. I spent all day on my feet. Finally after dinner I called it quits. Thus I am counting all the standing as exercise. My back and feet were feeling it.

Week 0:

I need to step into Mulders obsessive shoes a little more. My persistence was low and I didn't follow through. But Scully was on her game. Not giving it an A. My work outs could have been a little better. I also never got time to read. But week 0 was a good trial week. Week 1 will be better.

Food:

1. Follow MFP: set to lose 1lb/week (1340 calories)- eat only those calories allowed and burned 3/7
  3. Carbs: keep carbs to 40% of overall calories consumed 2/7
  5. Water: drink 9-10 cups of water daily. 7/7

Exercise:

1. walk 10,000 steps daily 7/7
  2. workout session 4x/week. 4/4

1. read
  2. game Complete
  3. money tracking Complete

Weight Tracking:

Week 0 Starting Weight (10/26/15) = 167.6lbs

Week 1 Weight (11/2/15) = 164.5lbs (-3.1lbs)

• Like 2

I made up for it today. Tomorrow is a new day.

Total agreement!  Wouldn't it be nice if Halloween lasted just one day?  It's the prolonged temptation that kills me!

• Like 2