Yellowjacket kicks injuries to the curb

Yellowjacket

Yay, time for another challenge.

I've been busy getting contracts for music stuff, and this is great news!  

Trying to lean up going into this summer was challenging.  I'm convinced that it is nearly impossible to trim off fat while simultaneously nursing injuries.  My body feels pretty unstable overall and it has been exceptionally easy to pull things by accident.

So, I'm going to be gaining lean bodymass and trying to build back.  I'll start cutting again around February.

Plan:  3,000kcal per day.  200g protein, 200g carbs, and whatever else the fat is.  Probably 150g or so.

I'm going to try to eat clean as much as possible and most of my carb sources will come from fruit earlier in the day.  I will try to have extra carbs in the morning as well as pre / post workout.  The idea is to 'clean bulk' so I have less work in the summer.

Lifting wise, I'm discovering that balls to the wall = injuries.  I'm finding that dialing back the intensity 5 - 10% and nailing nutrition = gains.  

Not going to set any other goals right now, not publically at least.  Although, I need to sleep more!

• Like 3

Sub'd my friend and following!   :)

Glad to see you back YJ! 

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Yup.  Just too busy to stick around all the time but I am going to attempt to update regularly.

I got weirdly sick in the summer, I had difficulty breathing which turned into what felt like a lung infection.  I went and worked for 3 days when I should have been sleeping which resulted in me getting a flu, and then the lungs started to feel pretty terrible.  I heard crackling in my lungs and decided it was time to take advantage of our free healthcare!  So, I got a prescription for antibiotics and some super strong athsma medication.  (I have no previous history of athsma)  This whole ordeal started beginning of aug and I had the meds prescribed third weak of aug and I think that about two weeks ago was when I was starting to feel somewhat normal again.  BOO!!  

The injury list isn't really anything new.  My knees are feeling nearly 100% and I did sets with 265lbs for squats a couple of weeks back.  My right arm is finally starting to feel decent again as is my right shoulder. The trouble is that the initial injury, which happened a year and a half ago, caused there to be a huge strength imbalance and a majority of what I am going right now is attempting to correct it.  The right rotator cuff, in particular, is very weak and susceptible to injury.  It's an exercise in patience, lots of warmups, and pushing just enough to stimulate growth.  It's like 90 - 95% intensity and weight, and somehow it is working.  

• Like 2

Ooh, lung infection sounds terrible. Glad to hear that you're feeling more normal now!

It was a bit unnerving and it basically threw a wrench in my training for the better part of 2 months.

Glad you made it back.    And that the music is doing well (?)

Ya, glad to be picking around.  The music seems to be moving.  I tell you, having tonnes of time to write like in school is fun, and professional work is very NOT like that.  The pace is getting faster and faster but my wife and I are kicking it to the weights anyway!  We got a gym membership so we train together c.a. twice a week.  I do whatever else I require in my home gym. PM me and I can maybe show you some WIP / unreleased stuff from projects but you need to keep it a secret =-p

Shoulders are feeling better, specifically the right side.  My right arm is feeling better.  Right rotator cuff is perpetually irritated.  Whenever it manages to recover, it is just in time for the next workout!  My knees were bugging me a slight bit today =-(  It's the patellar tendon.  Basically, lots of warmup works best and having a rushed workout just was not productive.  What do you do for legs with 20min?

Basically, Squats 135lbs x 5, 185 x 5, 235 x 5,  265 x 8.  The weight progressed too quickly 'for me' so I need to avoid these sorts of stunts if I want a large and strong lower body =-(    My form feels insecure at the heavier weight but at least I am no longer twisting, as far as I can tell.  The lack of control I felt with heavy weight on Bench Press and Squats tells me that with some work on the nervous system, I could probably add even more weight.  But, I want to be prudent.  Gotta be careful!  

• Like 1

2950kcal yesterday and I'm approaching 3k calories today as well.  Eating fairly clean on a surplus feels really weird but also good.

On the music end, this is getting cramped here with a studio session coming up.  AAAHHHH!!!!  Going to try and throw some irons around in the Gym on Fri.  Probably a back workout.  With the high calories, I just have to be patient and let my body recover adequately.  If I focus on recovery and build back slowly, I'll be in a good spot come Feb.  Unfortunately, the temptation is always to push hard, especially as my strength comes back and I feel the aggression and power associated with the rich, dense, and nutritious diet.  It will be interesting to weigh myself come February but for now, I'm trusting the mirror and my clothes.  If I get too large in the midsection, I'll just cut the calories overall to keep it in check.  There is no need to let a bulk run out of control because it means way more work down the line.  

• Like 1

Sounds good YJ, and I hope the studio session is a smashing success! :)

Yep on the mirror and clothes, are a much better judge of progress. :encouragement:

Have an awesome day!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.

Trying to lean up going into this summer was challenging. I'm convinced that it is nearly impossible to trim off fat while simultaneously nursing injuries. My body feels pretty unstable overall and it has been exceptionally easy to pull things by accident.

Lifting wise, I'm discovering that [bold]balls to the wall = injuries.[/bold] I'm finding that dialing back the intensity 5 - 10% and nailing nutrition = gains.

Yup. Balls to the wall has a tendency to make you more prone to injury, especially when your recovery is compromised by cutting.

On the plus side, you can make pretty epic gainz doing sub-maximal work 95% of the time. :D

What kind of programming are you following?

Plan: 3,000kcal per day. 200g protein, 200g carbs, and whatever else the fat is. Probably 150g or so.

I'm going to try to eat clean as much as possible and most of my carb sources will come from fruit earlier in the day. I will try to have extra carbs in the morning as well as pre / post workout. The idea is to 'clean bulk' so I have less work in the summer.

We're on similar calorie goals! My macro split leans more to carbs and just going for 1g protein per lb bodyweight (140g for me, but more sometimes because it's tasty).

Is this your first bulk?

Not going to set any other goals right now, not publically at least. Although, I need to sleep more!

Sleep is good! Join the sleeps gang! Yay!

Yup. Balls to the wall has a tendency to make you more prone to injury, especially when your recovery is compromised by cutting.

On the plus side, you can make pretty epic gainz doing sub-maximal work 95% of the time. :D

What kind of programming are you following?

It's a pretty strict bodybuilding kind of a program.  I'm going by feel because recovery is key here, but generally I have leg day once a week, back day once a week, and chest day once a week.  I fit in arm and delt training around that based on recovery.  Typically, I train triceps with chest and do heavy bench press every couple of weeks because of its effect on the entire shoulder girdle and the triceps in particular.  The leg training is usually based on 'prefatiguing' using machines first, the leg press / stiff leg deadlifts, and finally squats at the end.  This seems to limit weight which is actually more productive long term.  BUT, I will lift heavy on occasion.

Back is the most severely hampered by my right shoulder and forearm.  I can't pull hard like I used to so I end up having to be creative.  I'm going hammer and reverse curls with sensible weight to try and solve this.  

Basically, I do mostly warrior training but with a lot of bodybuilding exercises thrown in.  In practical terms, I'm somewhere in between a warrior and a ranger but more warrior.

We're on similar calorie goals! My macro split leans more to carbs and just going for 1g protein per lb bodyweight (140g for me, but more sometimes because it's tasty).

Is this your first bulk?

And I can gain muscle on 3,000 calories per day because ::endomesomorph::  

No, but this is probably my second bulk since I quit training seriously around age 24.  I tried to mitigate bodyfat and was partially successful at least until I was 30.  I looked good but never made any sort of progress, then my age caught up with me!  This will be my first time trying to gain while being very particular with nutrition.  

Sleep is good! Join the sleeps gang! Yay!

Last night sucked =-(  Kid wouldn't sleep and I had recording to do for this film score.  Trying to get a demo together before our session on Mon.

Sounds good YJ, and I hope the studio session is a smashing success!  :)

Yep on the mirror and clothes, Sarah better judge of progress.   :encouragement:

Have an awesome day!

You too   ^_^

• Like 2

Late Hallowe'en update.

Nutrition is mostly on but today I missed meals and I'm eating hallowe'en candy right now following a delt workout.

Injury update:  Knees are feeling fine, and my right arm feels fine.  Right front delt is often achy when starting to train and if I'm not careful, it can act up.  I trained delts but I had no trouble with it.  My right rotator cuff is often quite sore and it requires quite a bit of time to recover, even when I use lighter weight and very strict form.  This is hampering my back training in particular.  I could add on far more size if it was co-operating and I could systematically load some big weights on underhand grip pulldowns.  But I'm content to do the best I can with what I have to work with right now.  As long as things strengthen up, I can progress.  

For delt training, I'm using very light work with extremely strict form.  One hand dumbbell presses are great for isolating the delt head and extremely light weight flyes really engage the muscle as well.  I leave the heavy delt work to the chest training I do.  

Right now, the one muscle group I have minimal complaints about is my legs.  The upper body can't help but be hampered by that nasty shoulder joint.  

• Like 1

UPDATE!!  

Computer problems.  (RMAing RAM) 

Craft Sale.

Poor eating because of Up at 4:30 am because of Craft Sale.

Studio last Mon.

Knees bugging me a bit on Leg Press.  (Only when the weight gets heavy)

Right rotator cuff seems to settle down in time for the next workout and subsequently get irritated:

Back today.

Lots of exercises and lots of angles.  I tried clean and press for the first time in a few years.  Maybe not a good idea with the rotator cuff but it felt good to perform the movement.  I've not found a better exercise for building great traps and delts!!   (When my Rotator Cuff can handle it)

I'll talk more about the computer trouble soon but it is late.

Oh, a hack for corner rows.  I LOVE corner rows but I often find that the bar gets top heavy, especially if you grip below the barbell plates.

OK, the trick.  Put small washers on the bottom end.  Layer it with 2 1/2 and 1 1/4 LB plates if you have them.  If you can get a good 20 - 30lbs on that end, it will keep it in place.  You can also use 2 clips to keep the plates as far toward the end of the barbell as possible.  
Then load with 10lb plates on the other end so that you can get a killer range of motion.  This is such a great exercize for targeting low between the shoulder blades.   

Lifts today.

DB Rows
Pulldowns variating the grip
Corner Rows.  (Hit low between the scapula)
Cable Rows.   (Hits higher between the scapula)
Clean and press.  (Shoulder and trap)

Good fun!  I find with back, the trick is to concentrate on form and squeeze everything.  I like to use strength movements such as chins, barbell rows, deadlifts, etc., to create a base.  Then the other exercises are more about the aesthetic of creating a bumpy, wide back.  

• Like 1

urk now I'm sick.  
Shoulder was bugging me after back training and I'm getting the impression that I won't be able to clean and press well until I regain stability in that joint.  It's just a crazy case of touch and go right now and it is hampering progress in a big way.  To pretend otherwise would be dishonest.

The long and short of computer trouble is that I RMA'd my RAM and my machine works fine now.  The troubleshooting journey was interesting though, because things looked REALLY bad at first.  I suspected the PSU & the Motherboard at first but it turned out that a BIOS update mostly solved the problem.  RMAing the RAM to replace the defective module was the final fix to get back in working order!!

Awe YJ, sorry you got sick. :(

Are you doing better?

Yay for getting that working! :)

Hope you are doing much better, and be careful with that shoulder my friend.

Hugs!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Shoulder has calmed down.  Feeling a bit better today but also really tired.  Went to bed too late writing le videogame moosiks.  Did some light weights tomorrow.  I think I need to take things slowly and not get TOO excited.  I put up a few light weights yesterday and hopefully, I'll get to the gym for legs soon!  

• Like 2

That's a sound plan YJ! Really glad to hear you're feeling better! :)

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Ya, took it easy training back today.  It sucks.  I like lifting heavy.  BUT, I need to not hurt myself because I have other things to do besides lifting.  

• Like 1

Wise words my friend. And I totally understand. It's been a bummer not being able to do with my knee what I was, but you are very right. And it's a matter of using good judgment and priorities.

Keep being awesome YJ. :)

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Very good advice. :)

Glad the back workout helped!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

I'm beginning to think that attempting clean and press was what aggravated my shoulder.  When I'm feeling 100%, that exercise is very helpful for me to build big traps and delts, but at the moment it is too much.  I did a bit of pec deck today and pushed up some light DBs for chest.  Shoulder was aching but there haven't really been any problems with it.

Gaining fat.

Trying to decide if I want to cut cheats and macros since I can't train 100% anyhow.  I'm thinking I am overfeeding because I'm taking in more food than my activity level requires.  The main goal is to recover from injuries so maybe I need to concentrate on that?

Still feeling the effects of being sick.  IT was enough to hamper my leg training but any sort of lung trouble will do just that.  I think this is the first time in my life that I've really experienced any sort of lingering ailments as a result of getting sick.  The big, terrible episode happened middle - end of Aug this year and I was finally starting to breathe better and get my energy back when THIS happened.  BOO HISS!  

I tried deadlifts, light pulldowns, and light cable rows for back today.  Then 1 arm DB press for delts.  It feels fine right now but we'll see how much pain there is tomorrow.  I'm hoping that the deadlifts help to pre fatigue the back so the shoulder don't need to move as much.  I'm considering dropping my calories down and trying to maintain without getting fatter.  Rest seems to be the most important ingredient at this moment.

• Like 2

Right shoulder feels better today.  I can do this.  I think for back, 'heavy' weight and a too large workload are the triggers.  Obviously, clean and press is off the 'menu' right now since it's what aggravated things to begin with.  So I need to chill and build back slowly.   

For now, I'll be attempting bench press on arm day to prefatigue the triceps and keep the shoulder girdle strong.  Additionally, just having sets of one arm overhead DB press keeps the shoulders strong and doesn't seem to irritate them.  Once everything calms down I'll start doing 3lb rotator cuff exercises again and I'll be sure to stretch.  After the right rotator cuff is stronger, I'll have to add in rear delt work.  

Basically, here's what happened.  When I injured my right arm with the suitcase incident, I couldn't train with that side of the body, so the rotator cuff become weak and I started to notice joint pain in the G/H joint.  (Ball and socket)  This first occurred while training triceps.  I ignored it and trained for a bit but then it became concerning.  After awhile I attempted a deadlift my right side was quite weak compared to the left.  

I had a lot of trouble, even last fall, trying to strengthen my right arm by working around the injury.  Basically, I could only do the bottom half of a hammer curl without it hurting like crazy.  THAT was the point where the injury was.  Feels like the brachioradialis at the insertion point in the elbow?  Through rest and smart training, it started to strengthen but when I started to raise the weight, the G/H joint would hurt.  Suddenly, I realized that I was favouring my right side in all my lifts.  I put a piece of electrical tape in the middle of the bar and tried bench press.  I felt it almost exclusively on my right side.  Then there was the problem with the shoulder 'grabbing' with heavy bench press.  Weight that I could easily manage before.  In this condition I tried to lean out but it made things get worse and quickly at that.  

With the weak arm, I've ended up with a systemic weakness on the right side of my body.  Unfortunately, as I've been building back, the skeletal muscles have increased faster in strength than the joint.  Compound that with this weird issue where I used to sleep on my right arm and my right shoulder became 'double jointed' as a result.  The actual joint structure is less stable as a result of that so it's prone to start moving incorrectly if I don't focus during my training.  So, I don't think there is anything that is massively wrong with the structure, but it's weak, overtrained, and generally unhappy.  If I load it up too much or I neglect my warmups, I pay.  

The cure:  When I was sick over the summer, then on vacation, and then had a minor procedure, I took like 7 weeks off in a row.  It felt better.  I need to build back slowly and not push things.  I also need to find out what the triggers are and take it easy.  

• Like 1

The cure:  When I was sick over the summer, then on vacation, and then had a minor procedure, I took like 7 weeks off in a row.  It felt better.  I need to build back slowly and not push things.  I also need to find out what the triggers are and take it easy.  

There ya go YJ, sounds like you know what you're doing and using sound judgement. That will be your ticket back to where you want to be. :)

Hope your day is awesome!

• Like 1

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

For the first time without a project due since Sept, I'm enjoying 'relaxing', playing my instruments, and rehearsing with my wife.  

• Like 2