Charlie_Quinn Travels to the Future

Charlie_Quinn

Glad to back for another challenge with the rangers after a long break.

My previous quest was to complete Tough Mudder for the second time which I did 2 challenges ago. So now it's time for a new quest

New Quest:

Complete all dirty dozen race distances and earn the medal of honour.

Dirty dozen is a series of races created by Doug “The Beard†Spence. The Beard creates some devilish obstacles, but is one of the nicest men in OCR. He stands at the finish line at every race and everyone who crosses the finish line gets a "Doug Hug".

Doug Hug

That's me on the the right of the picture closest to The Beard getting my Doug Hug. Awesome beardiness going on here

The dirty dozen is run at 3 distances - 6k, 12k and 18k - and you have to complete all 3 distances to earn the medal of honour.

To earn my medal of honour, I’ll be doing the following races:

Dirty dozen (12k) - 16th April

Dirty half dozen (6k) - 9th July

Dirty destroyer  (18k) - 20th August

The best thing is, the Destroyer is actually on my birthday. So I get complete my main quest, celebrate my 35th AND get some race bling all on the same day.

Challenge - Look Forward In Time

As my first ocr isn't until April, I have a little over 5 months to improve on my current fitness level. With such a big gap till my first event, motivation is going to be a big concern. I need to look to the future, look at future Charlie and give her all the tools she needs to complete her quest.

giphy.gif

Well, I have a form of time travel. Nothing as fancy as a TARDIS

Time to strap on the vortex manipulator. If I visit my future self just after the 12k, she/me can tell me/her whether I/she did enough to perform as well and I/She (this is getting confusing) wanted.

In case anyone is worried about the time-space continuum, I’ve looked into the untempered schism and discovered this is not a fixed point in time. I can make tiny changes to my timeline and it won’t affect anything outside of my own timestream.

OK, here we go…………..

time-vortex-o.gif

Ugh, time travel without a capsule. The Doctor is right, it’s a bitch! Anyway, where am I? OK, home. So where am I? *click* that must be the door. Oh look, me! Wow this is weird, is that what I look like? Not too bad really, hair is a bit everywhere but then you what's new. Better say hello I guess;

“Hello meâ€

“Oh hello, I was wondering when you’d show up!â€

“You knew I was coming?â€

“Of course, stupid. I’m YOUâ€

“Oh right, of course. Duh. So you just got back from the Dirty Dozen?â€

“Yep. You know what I’m going to say, right?â€

“Well I’m past you so not really. But seeing as I’m YOU, then I can guess. Not as well as you wanted it to?â€

“Bingo. We didn’t put in enough time running and didn’t do enough long runs so I was tired by the half way point. Plus HILLS! You know there is going to be hills at these races but you NEVER train them. Would it kill you to run up a hill every now and then?â€

“Er, OK. I get the picture. Jez, do I always sound this naggy."

Goal 1: Running
Run at 2-3 times a week and get in a long run (with hills!) when possible. 1 run session can be substituted for a HIIT session on the turbo trainer or a swim.

"OK, More running and more hills, check. What else?â€

“Oh just the usual, lack of upper body strength. Had to rely on loads of help getting up and over obstacles. I know we are short and need a boost every now and then but we should be able to do the rest by ourselves.â€

“Got it. Work on those pull ups and upper body exercises."

Goal 2: Work On Those Upper Body Gainz

Focus on improving upper body strength.

Perform pull up drills 4-5 times a week. Pull up drills vary from hollow hangs, flexed arm hollow hangs and negative chin ups.

"Alright future me, this has been really helpful. I’m going back to my time now and work on these things. I’ll come back in a few weeks my time and see if the timeline has changed.â€

“I look forward to it. Oh and while we’re at it, the kitchen is still unfinished. Pull your finger out and do something about it will ya?"

“Wow, we really are lazy aren’t we. OK, I’ll see what I can do."

Goal 3: Get Sh*t Done! 

Finish at least 2 unfinished projects around the house.

This can range from something small like painting the ceiling in the kitchen, to larger projects like replacing all the internal doors.

Whatever the project, it must be COMPLETED. Not started and left unfinished. 

"Alright, I'm going back to my time. See you soon, me!.â€

“OK, see you soon! Wait! If you go back and change things now, will I remember you came here this time and if so, do you need to come back 10 mins from now so you from a few months time doesn’t run into you from now and doesn’t this create a paradox if…… oh dear, I think my head just exploded….."

“Try not to think too much about it, Stephen Moffett clearly doesn’t.â€

Time to get this party started!

giphy.gif

• Like 9

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

I love the way you wrote up your challenge, this is awesome. I'll be following along.

Thanks! I talk to myself constantly IRL anyway so why not get creative with it!

Oooh! Love the theme and how you're approaching this as helping your future self out.  

Also:

Bahahah.  This made me chuckle.

Thank you. I'm not a "Moffatt hater" by the way! But I think it might be time to give someone else a crack at show-runner. There are only so many "The Doctor is going to his death. No wait, it was all a fake" stories you can write!

Love the write up!

Thanks! 

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

I'm starting this challenge early. Mostly because I haven't done one in a long time, but also because I'm impatient and hate waiting for things to start.

Did a 5k run last night. Average pace 6:22/km. bit disappointing as I was hoping to be a bit faster than that but my right calf kept cramping and had to stop and stretch it a few times. Might have been dehydration as I drunk more coffee than water yesterday. 

Will be doing strength training tonight including pull up drills.

Also have to finish prepping my zombie costume for the Ghost Run on Friday night. I've taken an old pair of lightweight jeans and a white t-shirt and torn them up but they look too clean so need to rub some dirt into them and add some fake blood.

• Like 1

2020 Races: 

Hi Charlie, like the time travel idea. I so wish I could go back 10 years , and tell my younger self to do some more exercise everything would be that much easier now.

I've always thought it would be great if we could not only go back in time, but to go back into the mind of yourself at a younger age. So have your current mind go into the mind of your younger self. If I knew then when I know now, I would have done a lot of things differently! One of those things would be getting more involved in PE lessons!

Yay.  Good luck with your goals! And have fun on your ghost run

Thanks! It's a 5 mile run through dark woodland searching for the Marshmallow Man! Going to be great fun. Although, the forecast at the moment is for rain. I may be a soggy zombie!

I like the way you've set this up as helping future-you :)

Thanks! I just hope I don't let future me down, I've got a feeling she'll be able to kick my ass.  :playful:

Blimey, you changed your name  :playful:

Look at you starting early and getting stuck in already! Subbed! 

I was never 100% happy with my old name. I chose it in a hurry, so when I came back it seemed like a good time to change it. Great to see you again!

• Like 2

2020 Races: 

I love the theme & write up for your challenge, they work really well!  Made me laugh at the end about Stephen Moffatt too :)

All the best for the new challenge!

• Like 1

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: #OperationWeddingSuit

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

Had to follow....Had to, had to, had to......points to your profile pic. ;)

Awesome intro! Lol, reminds me of conversations I have with myself. :P

(That 'do I always sound this naggy?' cracked me up. :D )

Wish you a most excellent chachallenge!

• Like 1

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Thank you. I'm not a "Moffatt hater" by the way! But I think it might be time to give someone else a crack at show-runner. There are only so many "The Doctor is going to his death. No wait, it was all a fake" stories you can write!

Neither am I, but I found that statement just perfect haha.

I honestly feel like I could write a lot about this (I am a completely unashamed ridiculous Doctor nerd).  My feeling is that Moffat came in and did what he always dreamed of doing with the Ponds, if you just think about the fact that The Girl in the Fireplace was what he chose to do when he came on as a guest writer during Davies' run, and it's basically the same plot as Amy and the Doctor's relationship it's obvious that's something he's wanted to do forever.  Once he finished that I feel like he kind of was grasping at straws... then the Clara as a plot was pretty interesting.  But now I think he's lost his touch for sure, he has a certain style that I think a character can only take so much of before starting to take away from it.  I LOVE Capaldi but I also feel like the way he's portraying the Doctor is a little more suited for the kind of plots Davies wrote if that made sense like back in the days of Tennant. /endrant

BUT ANYWAY. Hope your strength training went well!

• Like 1

Neither am I, but I found that statement just perfect haha.

I honestly feel like I could write a lot about this (I am a completely unashamed ridiculous Doctor nerd).  My feeling is that Moffat came in and did what he always dreamed of doing with the Ponds, if you just think about the fact that The Girl in the Fireplace was what he chose to do when he came on as a guest writer during Davies' run, and it's basically the same plot as Amy and the Doctor's relationship it's obvious that's something he's wanted to do forever.  Once he finished that I feel like he kind of was grasping at straws... then the Clara as a plot was pretty interesting.  But now I think he's lost his touch for sure, he has a certain style that I think a character can only take so much of before starting to take away from it.  I LOVE Capaldi but I also feel like the way he's portraying the Doctor is a little more suited for the kind of plots Davies wrote if that made sense like back in the days of Tennant. /endrant

BUT ANYWAY. Hope your strength training went well!

I agree with everything here. I too could nerd out about this for hours! Moffatt can still spin a good yarn and a think his writing on non plot arc episodes can be brilliant. If he left, I think he should still come back and write one off episodes. It's just time to pass the bigger job of showrunner to someone else. Plus, then he'll have time to make more Sherlock!

*stalk*

While you're out time-traveling, can you go back to 1995, slap the Cool Ranch Doritos out of my hands, and point me toward a running trail?

Never been more happy to have a stalker! I'll lend you the vortex manipulator when I'm finished with it. Just promise not go to the future and buy a sports almanac. I've heard that never ends well.

• Like 1

2020 Races: 

Week 0 - Day 2

Lifted after work last night. Did lots of bench press and assisted chin ups. My arms were a bit noodley after that. Will keep a detailed log of training sessions in my battle log. 

After successfully avoiding all spoilers for 2 days, I sat down to watch the latest episode of The Walking Dead after lifting. I'll keep my feelings spoiler free but I'll use the spoiler tags anyway.

How I felt after that happened.......

WHY?????!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

I'm still not over it

Taking a rest day today, except for some pull up drills when I get home tonight. Just going to do some hollow hangs which have the added benefit of working my grip strength. As I've yet to beat a set of monkey bars, I need all the grip strength I can get.

• Like 2

2020 Races: 

oh dear, I think my head just exploded….."

“Try not to think too much about it, Stephen Moffett clearly doesn’t.â€

Time to get this party started!

giphy.gif

Bwahahaha!  You're definitely my kind of person.  :)  

Those races look amazing!  And good luck with nabbing that first pull up!  I found that working on hanging scapular pulls was really invaluable for me to learn to pull out of a dead hang.  

• Like 3

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Bwahahaha!  You're definitely my kind of person.   :)

Those races look amazing!  And good luck with nabbing that first pull up!  I found that working on hanging scapular pulls was really invaluable for me to learn to pull out of a dead hang.  

Thanks! Ah yes, I call those "Reverse Shugs" and I do them occasionally when I'm just hanging off my bar. I'm definitely weaker in the lower part of the pull up so these really help with that. 

• Like 1

2020 Races: 

Nine was the best doctor

Sent by carrier pigeon

Nine was good, would have been nice if we had more than one series from him. I'm quite partial to Eight.  I know, a controversial choice! Great doctor, awful movie. He could have been one of the best doctors given a chance. The DW audio adventures Paul McGann did are fantastic. Check them if you get a chance.

• Like 1

2020 Races: 

Nine was good, would have been nice if we had more than one series from him. I'm quite partial to Eight. I know, a controversial choice! Great doctor, awful movie. He could have been one of the best doctors given a chance. The DW audio adventures Paul McGann did are fantastic. Check them if you get a chance.

He was good in that little eight minute prequel to the 50th Anniversary special - I think it was called The Night of the Doctor?

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: #OperationWeddingSuit

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

Nine was good, would have been nice if we had more than one series from him. I'm quite partial to Eight. I know, a controversial choice! Great doctor, awful movie. He could have been one of the best doctors given a chance. The DW audio adventures Paul McGann did are fantastic. Check them if you get a chance.

McGann really was pretty good. He gets a lot of crap that I don't think reflects his portrayal of the character. I'm a loser who has gone through and watched all of them and I'm really partial to Tom Baker. He really does love up to all the hype around him. I actually also REALLY liked the second Doctor, Troughton, he's like some amazing combination of Eccleston and Matt Smith. He goes around playing the recorder at people when he's irritated I love it. As for the newer ones though I honestly have moments where I think each of them is my favourite depending on my mood, though it tends to generally be Tennant most days.

Sent by TARDIS delivery service. Apologies for typos caused by interactions with the time vortex.