The Great Hall: General Chatter

DarK_RaideR

Relevant:

Always relevant!

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35
Current Challenge : #36 Strickland5 is feeling wayward

Scout of the Week - Week 6 of Challenge #42
Social Links | instagram | twitter | Athlinks |

I have a request for all you OCR/running Rangers out there. I want to get my brother something OCR/training oriented for Christmas (as I love feeding people's dreams). Do any of you have some suggestions or recommendations for supplies that would be super useful to him? He hasn't gotten the chance to participate in one since his Spartan race this past spring (work and school, where he's going for business management to make a career out of hosting and organizing said events), but I'd still love to support that for him, since he really wants to participate in more.

Also, on the off chance that there are any rock climbing Rangers around, are there any preferred brands/supplies for harnesses and such? I'm looking to do the same thing for the husband, who could use a little more push and shove to do the things he really enjoys doing.

I'm about to do my own research, but I was just hoping for some insider input. :)

• Like 4

I have a request for all you OCR/running Rangers out there. I want to get my brother something OCR/training oriented for Christmas (as I love feeding people's dreams). Do any of you have some suggestions or recommendations for supplies that would be super useful to him? He hasn't gotten the chance to participate in one since his Spartan race this past spring (work and school, where he's going for business management to make a career out of hosting and organizing said events), but I'd still love to support that for him, since he really wants to participate in more.

Also, on the off chance that there are any rock climbing Rangers around, are there any preferred brands/supplies for harnesses and such? I'm looking to do the same thing for the husband, who could use a little more push and shove to do the things he really enjoys doing.

I'm about to do my own research, but I was just hoping for some insider input. :)

Get him a lifetime membership to Nerdfitness.com and suggest the Ranger's guild ;)

• Like 8

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

The unfortunate thing with rock climbing gear is that you really want to try things on before buying.  Harness sizing can be a bit weird, and sometimes they can pinch or chafe in the wrong spots.  And shoes are something you definitely want to try on.  What gear does he already have, and does he mostly do outdoor climbing, gym climbing, or bouldering?  Maybe you could just take him on a shopping trip to an REI.  At least my local store will let you try on harnesses.  And if he needs shoes, that's another thing he would absolutely need to try on.   If you want to avoid the gear issues, you could also buy him a punch card at your local climbing gym.  Some smaller throw-ins could be a chalk bag and chalk.  

• Like 3

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

I know nothing about climbing, but I had a mate at Uni (who is now a climbing instructor) who used to rave about a 'climbers friend'. Some sort of clever hook that actually grips the rock harder the more you pull on it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring-loaded_camming_device ' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring-loaded_camming_device Would something like that work ?

Only gazbazillion posts behind!

• Like 1

Maybe some Dethklok with the first album about the water may work better. Brutal!

DId someone say DETHKLOK?

hahaha true, but I am pretty sure pumpkin butter is a gateway food to pumpkin spice :)

I think I'm way beyond gateway foods at this point.  If I were into cross-dressing at all, you would probably see me in yoga pants, jean skirts, and Uggz all autumn... and probably winter too.

Without knowing your budget, could I suggest Spartan gear?  Reebok offers shorts, headbands, shirts, sweaters, etc.  New pair of OCR trail shoes?  A hydration pack for the longer races?  Gloves?  Trying to think of anything I want/need to get for the OCR racing season next year and I'm coming up blank.  Those ideas ought to help a bit.

Oh, you could always offer to pay for one of his races or part of one.  Everything helps!

Want a recipe?    Waaayy cheaper than buying.

Someone posted one in someone's challenge, or here... somewhere, at any rate.  It's on my recipe app for the near future.  Thanks!

• Like 4

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Current:   Cry Havoc™: Bladesong of the Warhawk

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

The unfortunate thing with rock climbing gear is that you really want to try things on before buying.  Harness sizing can be a bit weird, and sometimes they can pinch or chafe in the wrong spots.  And shoes are something you definitely want to try on.  What gear does he already have, and does he mostly do outdoor climbing, gym climbing, or bouldering?  Maybe you could just take him on a shopping trip to an REI.  At least my local store will let you try on harnesses.  And if he needs shoes, that's another thing he would absolutely need to try on.   If you want to avoid the gear issues, you could also buy him a punch card at your local climbing gym.  Some smaller throw-ins could be a chalk bag and chalk.  

Just go with the military one size fits all approach, tie a rope around your waist and through your legs....

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Just go with the military one size fits all approach, tie a rope around your waist and through your legs....

My pelvic area just chaffed from the memory of it.

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Current:   Cry Havoc™: Bladesong of the Warhawk

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

I just purchased a six-pack of Shiner Holiday Cheer for a guys weekend out in the middle of nowhere. I don't know how available it is outside of Texas, but it tastes like Christmas in your mouth.

cheer_6pk_background__large.jpg

I love being Texan.

• Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I know nothing of rock climbing but have opinions on the OCR stuff (shocking).

Rurik had some good suggestions. Also, I have a slew of training toys I want to acquire/have gifted to me: sandbags - regular ones or Wreckbags specifically. A weighted vest. A quality headlamp. If you have the means, a GoPro camera is a ton of fun. (There are a few dozen moments from last weekend's event with Wolf I wish I had been able to capture for posterity.) A pair of heavy kettlebells. I could go on.

• Like 2

Jedi Knight - Current ChallengeBattle Log - Epic Quest

I'm getting nervous. I leave for Texas next week. Yay for new adventures?

hmmmm... sent by magic.... or fairies.... or small woodland creatures maybe? how does this thing work?

• Like 5

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I'm getting nervous. I leave for Texas next week. Yay for new adventures?

hmmmm... sent by magic.... or fairies.... or small woodland creatures maybe? how does this thing work?

It's gonna be awesome. Plano is a safe suburb, Wolfie can give you the heads up on the Metroplex.

• Like 1

I'm excited

And scared

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

tumblr_n855u9LRCC1qd45ayo1_1280.jpg

• Like 9

Level 71 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

well that was an interesting 6 page of reading to see what this topic is about. Interesting crew in here :)

Truth.

67cbefdae7661c85da07833a515054af.jpg

Just wanted to share some Monday thoughts with my fellow Rangers.

This link popped up on my Facebook feed this morning: 

20 Surprisingly Profound Quotes From Fantasy & SciFi.

Highlights include, but are not limited to...

Go forth and crush this Monday, the start of our last challenge of the year, Rangers!

LeeWall_Destroy.gif

I would both buy and wear this, but not at the expense of my beard.  Might have to MacGuyver-rig some kind of helmet maybe.

89777-shaolin-soccer-lolll.gif

This weekends challenge? All I will say is that it involves fireworks and pumpkins. And it will be awesome!

*Muahahahahah*

I was waxing poetic about my impending post-race dinner and mentioned I was hoping for a baked sweet potato to go with the steak. It was right after that one dude shot me the dirtiest hangry look I have ever seen on a course. I said I was hoping for apple butter melting on the sweet potato and she said ...

Pumpkin Butter.

And we both felt the bearded disturbance in the Force at that moment.

:topsy_turvy: I'm sorry I had to go there:

4B3e8.jpg

• Like 5

Katrin the Morag Lvl 22 Cadet, half klingon, c-licensed trainer, mother of two, gaming nerd

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

Lyniffer, have you found the Aussie Rebels thread yet?

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus