• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Also PS is it weird that my pre workout snack is usually dry whole wheat toast with hot sauce? I think it's delicious, because I have a hot sauce problem, but it strikes me that this might not be totally normal.

Yes, but you gotta do what works for you.

Also, I like how you refer to 'herding' your laundry. It's entirely appropriate, which is why it amuses me so much. I have much laundry to herd as well, I wonder if I could train a border collie to do it for me..........

• Like 1

The only negative here is that there was someone at the bench station for SO LONG.  I did all my other lifts, and even hit the elliptical up for a bit while I was waiting but he never got off of it.  So I decided to just skip it and do it either tomorrow and throw it in with my Friday workout instead. Increased my squats again, they felt way easier than last time.

Equipment hogs annoy me. Usuaully before my last set of whatever I am doing before bench, I will go ask whoever is on it. "How my sets do you have left". That's gym code for "I want to use this bench soon!" After a bit, if they are still on it, I'll ask to work in....

• Like 1

SC are HARD yo.  It took me for-ev-er to break out of the 30lbs.  And even then some days 40 seems like it will literally crush my skull. 

HOT SAUCE!  I love sriracha!  It has a nice flavor. :D  Some hot sauces are TOO hot though and make me sad.  I bet it's good for kickstarting your metabolism in the morning though??

• Like 1

I have the same thing with meditation, my day just goes SO MUCH better when I make time to meditate in the mornings. Even five minutes really helps. I'm still working on making sure it happens every day but the effects remind me how much making the time is necessary. Glad you're getting back in the groove :D

Also hot sauce on toast sounds awesome. I like to dip my carrots and celery in salsa so I'm all about eating condiments in slightly unusual ways :)

I used to do it every day and it made such a difference in my temperment.  I'm not at the point yet where I can force myself out of bed early enough every day for this yet, but my 3x/week goal I think will be a nice ramp up to getting back into a daily habit, hopefully.

I put hot sauce in like, everything.  It's probably my favourite food.

FTFY. Seriously, don't do that to yourself. You'll eventually start believing it and it will sabotage you. <Chaplain Voice> You are awesome. Having a backlog of laundry does not make you terrible.</Chaplain Voice>

I'm from San Antonio, nothing you do with hot sauce will be weird to me.

Thanks, Tank.  :) I really do tend to get down on myself a bit for cleaning.  In all honestly this laundrysplosion monster has been feeding and growing for over a week and a half so I really am kind of disappointed in myself for letting it get to this point. BUT you're totally right. I can and will do it, and it's fine that it is the way that it is right now... life happens. :D

I'm already noticing that a little bit of yoga every day is having a difference, so 10mins is still better than 0mins.

It's such a lovely way to wake up and get the juices flowing.  It's amazing how quickly flexibility can come back after being out of practice for a while when you really work at it consistently.

Yes, but you gotta do what works for you.

Also, I like how you refer to 'herding' your laundry. It's entirely appropriate, which is why it amuses me so much. I have much laundry to herd as well, I wonder if I could train a border collie to do it for me..........

Hahah doing my laundry really reminds me of herding cats. There are always escapees and massive confusion.  I need to come up with a better system (ooh I see a life challenge boss weakness idea forming...)

Equipment hogs annoy me. Usuaully before my last set of whatever I am doing before bench, I will go ask whoever is on it. "How my sets do you have left". That's gym code for "I want to use this bench soon!" After a bit, if they are still on it, I'll ask to work in....

I need to work on my gym confidence skills so I can start doing things like this.  I don't mind asking people stuff over by the power rack but the bench/dumbell area has a totally different vibe where I don't like talking to people haha

Oh also, I pulled out Borderlands 1 last night. I have never played through as anyone except Brick. I going through as Mordecai now :)  I don't have a lot of time to play, but oh well...

YESSS! Mordecai was who I played through as first, he's a great character.

• Like 4

I have no clue what SC stands for, but I like to imagine it means SquatCake

Bahahaha, I don't know what SquatCakes would be, but I want to figure this out.

It stands for Skull Crushers :D

• Like 1

My boss came over to my desk the other day and asked if I had any salad dressing. He gave me the weirdest look when I passed him a bottle of hot sauce. HOT SAUCE GOES WITH EVERYTHING!

SquatCake, sounds like a great pet name for a lifting buddy. 

• Like 2

Oh also, I pulled out Borderlands 1 last night. I have never played through as anyone except Brick. I going through as Mordecai now :) I don't have a lot of time to play, but oh well...

It's not available for download! I'm having to start on Borderlands 2 - this upsets my love of order and continuity...

• Like 1

First off, I read every word of your wordsplosion, but totes skimmed the challenge.  I felt like I got all the best juicy parts, and then I was like, omg, must post before I forget stuff.  And now I am all about to multi-quote and vomit back at you.     tl;dr ?   

epic-hugs-friends-joey-chandler.gif

Reading through your word vomit, this made me go HELL YEAH:

>> Honestly I don’t really ever want to know 100% what I want out of life 

I hit 35 this year and I think over the past 2-3 years, this has totally solidified in my mind too.  I don't want to follow anyone else's path!  I want to follow my own and if I don't even know where it will lead me, that's ok!  It makes me happy and excited and wanting to live more!  Every day is a new adventure and it's AMAZING :D

I ADORE your challenge setup and I'm looking forward to watching you blaze your own trails that are right for you! <3 <3 <3 

This x 100.    I'm turning 39 this month.    I battle the same thoughts sometimes, despite being vocal to those people who try to tell me what's what.   It's hard!   But I sooooo agree with this "I want to be happy, help people, and see the world".  Seriously.   Once during a silly card game played on my hockey team meant as an icebreaker, the question came up that said, "What would you consider to be a successful life?"   And my answer was, "If I could help just one person, just one, in a way that maybe changed their life or helped them make their life better, I'd say I was successful."   So props to you chica.   You've got the right idea, and I am so glad I have this crazy Raxie friend that I hang out with on here.

I just realized I forgot to add to my wordsplosion that another awesome thing I did since joining NF is quit smoking! It's so out of my life at this point that I actually forgot about it. But its definitely worth mentioning :)

OMG THIS IS HUGE!  I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!  SO HAPPY FOR YOU!  WAY TO GO!

(Any hints on how you managed to do it?  My sister has been trying/not trying for years... and I try to quietly support her but rarely have good advice.)

It's so nice to know that people who are older than me also don't have the whole being-an-adult thing figured out!  It makes me feel so much better about my fake-it-til-you-make-it attitude :)

^^ Raxie, did you see what your wordsplosion did?   It drew hundreds (exaggeration) of people out to admit their ages and their state of 'knowing what to do with life' and... do you know what that, in turn, did?   It made all of US feel better about it too!  Because as much as I tell myself I don't care what number my age is, or where "I AM" in life, the truth is that "society" as media paints it, CONSTANTLY attacks us.  It's like we're on this tiny dingy in a huge hurricane, singing, "Just keep floating, just keep floating."    So thank you!  Your honesty and openness just made me (and I bet some of the others) not only feel better, but feel as if they have an army of like minded people at their sides.   HUG!

HOT SAUCE!  I love sriracha!  It has a nice flavor. :D  Some hot sauces are TOO hot though and make me sad.  I bet it's good for kickstarting your metabolism in the morning though??

OMG ME TOO!  I just picked up a flavor of Tribe's Hummus that is SRIRACHA.  SO GOOD.

• Like 3

I put hot sauce in like, everything.  It's probably my favourite food.

You mean hot sauce isn't supposed to go on everything?!  What is this crazy talk?  I can't even manage to eat most (non-sweet) breakfast items without having some sriracha or tabasco sauce.  

4.png

• Like 6

You mean hot sauce isn't supposed to go on everything?!  What is this crazy talk?  I can't even manage to eat most (non-sweet) breakfast items without having some sriracha or tabasco sauce.  

4.png

AAAAHH!

I used to drink tabasco and cholula sauce by just dripping them on my tongue.  My roommates at the time were SO FREAKED OUT BY THIS.  

And yeah.  Figuring out life is just not a thing that ever happens.  Hurrah!  I to have been super inspired by all the people on this site who are ten, twenty, thirty years older than me, and still have that wonderful Beginner's Mind, and could also bench me like super easily.  

Also.  Laundry.  Is the laundry scene as crazy in your neck of the woods as it is in Manhattan?  Because over here doing laundry usually involves either hanging out at a SUPER SCARY laundromat where an old man wearing a cape made out of shredded garbage bags will repeatedly propose marriage to you, OR going down into the horrifying dark and labyrinthine bowels of your building and hoping that you aren't killed by either Freddy Krueger or a giant mutant cockroach-rat.

A-Nightmare-on-Elm-Street-1984-Robert-En

This is exactly what my laundry room looks like.

• Like 2

After the wordsplosion, I can just see you going into the bossfight, ripe with bullets, all like

movie_quotes_with_a_gun_3_by_edgarascens

May the bosses tremble in fear as the heavily armed ranger comes a knockin'

• Like 1

AAAAHH!

I used to drink tabasco and cholula sauce by just dripping them on my tongue.  My roommates at the time were SO FREAKED OUT BY THIS. 

A KINDRED SOUL!

I've also tried pouring a shot of tequila and add tabasco into a glass of draft beer. Way more awesome than it sounds

• Like 1

Quick update for the night: I ate some of the Asian meatballs from the nom nom paleo recipe and they turned out so good! Those of you who ate some of the magic meatballs at camp know what I'm talking about. AMAZING. Not as good as then though. Probably because they weren't eaten after oly lifting and sword fighting.

Then I did mobility work and cleaned a bit. Lots of foot work and shoulder work. A bit of foam rolling. Holy cow my triceps are sore from my skull crushers yesterday. It's kind of cool how its ONLY my triceps that have the DOMS. I've never felt such an individual specific muscle be sore like this before it's usually a group or my whole body haha.

I'm feeling pretty tuckered out today so I'll give a real update tomorrow. Just wanted to pop in before it was too late and say Happy Cat Day! Apparently its a thing.

9d8971b863ab3b709eed1b72711678bf.jpg

My sweet one eyed cat, Harley Quinn, says hi to all you nerds :D

Sent by TARDIS delivery service. Apologies for typos caused by interactions with the time vortex.

• Like 10

SC are HARD yo.  It took me for-ev-er to break out of the 30lbs.  And even then some days 40 seems like it will literally crush my skull. 

They are SO HARD! My triceps are still sore today from two days ago ahhh.

I pretty much love all hot sauce. I like really hot ones that are still tasy (like ones that are habanero based because habaneros are freaking delicious) but some of them are made like JUST to be hot and have no flavour, I don't like those ones.

My boss came over to my desk the other day and asked if I had any salad dressing. He gave me the weirdest look when I passed him a bottle of hot sauce. HOT SAUCE GOES WITH EVERYTHING!

SquatCake, sounds like a great pet name for a lifting buddy. 

I use hot sauce as salad dressing when I use beans as my protein, so it's kinda like taco salad.  It definitely is the most all purpose ingredient ever.

It does!!! Kind of like beefcake, but better.

It's not available for download! I'm having to start on Borderlands 2 - this upsets my love of order and continuity...

Oh noooo!

Lucky for you, there really isn't tooooo much plot in the first one, at least compared to the amazing plotsplosion of the second one.  All you've gotta know is that some of the characters in BL2 were the playable characters in BL1. And it would be helpful to know the vault stuffs from the end of BL1 if you want to look it up, but I won't ruin it for you if you don't want to know :)

4.png

Mmmm yesssss. So much yes.

AAAAHH!

And yeah.  Figuring out life is just not a thing that ever happens.  Hurrah!  I to have been super inspired by all the people on this site who are ten, twenty, thirty years older than me, and still have that wonderful Beginner's Mind, and could also bench me like super easily.  

Also.  Laundry.  Is the laundry scene as crazy in your neck of the woods as it is in Manhattan?  Because over here doing laundry usually involves either hanging out at a SUPER SCARY laundromat where an old man wearing a cape made out of shredded garbage bags will repeatedly propose marriage to you, OR going down into the horrifying dark and labyrinthine bowels of your building and hoping that you aren't killed by either Freddy Krueger or a giant mutant cockroach-rat.

I have been known to do this with garlic Cholula.  Mmmmmmmmm

IT IS! I have seen cockroach-rat in my basement.  IT EXISTS.  Although I'm pretty sure it also had some spider mutation to it, too.  Or maybe house centipede. Not sure which, but it was more than just 2 things for sure.  To make things better, the ceiling in the basement is only like 5 feet high so you have to duck the entire time you're down there to load and unload your laundry.  Yep.

After the wordsplosion, I can just see you going into the bossfight, ripe with bullets, all like

movie_quotes_with_a_gun_3_by_edgarascens

May the bosses tremble in fear as the heavily armed ranger comes a knockin'

Hehe that's the plan!!

A KINDRED SOUL!

I've also tried pouring a shot of tequila and add tabasco into a glass of draft beer. Way more awesome than it sounds

That actually doesn't sound terrible.  I like doing hot sauce after a tequila shot instead of the lame lime every one else does.

First off, I read every word of your wordsplosion, but totes skimmed the challenge.  I felt like I got all the best juicy parts, and then I was like, omg, must post before I forget stuff.  And now I am all about to multi-quote and vomit back at you.     tl;dr ?   

epic-hugs-friends-joey-chandler.gif

:D So many hugs right back at you!!

This x 100.    I'm turning 39 this month.    I battle the same thoughts sometimes, despite being vocal to those people who try to tell me what's what.   It's hard!   But I sooooo agree with this "I want to be happy, help people, and see the world".  Seriously.   Once during a silly card game played on my hockey team meant as an icebreaker, the question came up that said, "What would you consider to be a successful life?"   And my answer was, "If I could help just one person, just one, in a way that maybe changed their life or helped them make their life better, I'd say I was successful."   So props to you chica.   You've got the right idea, and I am so glad I have this crazy Raxie friend that I hang out with on here.

I totally feel the same way.  I just want to put some good into the world where there is so much... not good. :) I'm so glad you're here toooo <3

OMG THIS IS HUGE!  I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!  SO HAPPY FOR YOU!  WAY TO GO!

(Any hints on how you managed to do it?  My sister has been trying/not trying for years... and I try to quietly support her but rarely have good advice.)

I would say don't try to go cold turkey.  Some people can make it work for them, but it never did for me. I reduced myself down slowly to only letting myself buy certain number of packs per week, and then started buying cigarettes I hated (Newports) and telling myself that if I wanted one I had to smoke one of them.  Eventually I stopped letting myself buy packs all together and only allowed myself to "bum" in social situations when booze was involved.  That phase went on the longest, then in the last year/year and a half I started going out for "air cigarettes" during parties, because I realized the majority of the reason I wanted them was to go outside, and for the social aspect of it.  So I'd just go hang out with the smokers who were smoking and not take one.  Now, I just stay inside with the non smokers and don't even want to go outside.  It was a long, slow process for me, and honestly I'm pretty sure that's why it worked.

^^ Raxie, did you see what your wordsplosion did?   It drew hundreds (exaggeration) of people out to admit their ages and their state of 'knowing what to do with life' and... do you know what that, in turn, did?   It made all of US feel better about it too!  Because as much as I tell myself I don't care what number my age is, or where "I AM" in life, the truth is that "society" as media paints it, CONSTANTLY attacks us.  It's like we're on this tiny dingy in a huge hurricane, singing, "Just keep floating, just keep floating."    So thank you!  Your honesty and openness just made me (and I bet some of the others) not only feel better, but feel as if they have an army of like minded people at their sides.   HUG!

:D MOAR HUGS! But for real, society imposes so many useless expectations on people that everyone perpetuates and sometimes it's hard to keep being asked to explain yourself even if you shouldn't have to... just getting pinged with all the questions constantly can be frustrating.  But everyone coming out on here and saying they felt the same way made me feel so much better about it so I'm really glad I opened up about it too.

OMG ME TOO!  I just picked up a flavor of Tribe's Hummus that is SRIRACHA.  SO GOOD.

WHAT?! I did not know there was sriracha flavoured hummus except for the kind where I just dump some in my garlic hummus.  Ahhhh must find.

Replies in red :D

OMG your kitty is so CUTE <3

Thank you!!! She is the sweetest girl ever.  Very demanding with the pets, but super adorably sweet. 

• Like 3

Week Zero - Friday

tumblr_n0uif3ycrQ1s19hxmo1_400.gif

So as I mentioned in my quick update last night, I pretty much did everything I wanted to do yesterday.  I didn't get as much cleaning as I would have liked done but that's OK.  I'll finish it up today for sure.

So last night I did about an hours worth of mobility work, some of it I hadn't done since camp and I had forgotten how hard it was, but a lot of it was foam rolling and lax balling and it was lovely. Here's what I did, spoiler because it's long and not terribly exciting.  I must say though I am noticing the foot stuff getting easier since I've been doing that on a semi-regular basis.

FOOT MOBILITY

--Rolled out arches of feet

--Yoga foot stretch

--Toe lifts x 10

--Pointing x 10

--Scrunching x 10

--Toe wave x 10

SHOULDER MOBILITY

--Thoracic Spine Foam Roll

--Mid back lax work

--Traps lax work with arm movement (THIS IS HEAVENLY)

--Shoulder dislocates arms starting in front hands facing back x 10 each direction

--Shoulder dislocates arm starting in back hands facing front x 10 each direction

--Should blade isolation floor lifts x 10 each side

--Tricep stretch/neck stretch/neck massage combo thingy (this is basically the best)

FOUNDATIONAL MOVEMENT

--glute firing squats x 10

--reaching squats x 10 per side

--pull x 10 high, x 10 middle, x 10 low

--hinge movement x 10

shaarawy if you see anything I am blatently missing since you are the mobility queen please let me know :D haha. 

As a general note, I know some of those movements I'm describing really weird, because I don't know how else to put them.  If you're curious I can try to describe them more/take pictures just let me know.  For the stuff that's for free on the interwebs I can direct you there, too. Some of it I know are things that are in Fit For Real Life's paid content but I got the knowledge at camp so I can do my best to relate, and also direct to the webinar or whatever where it would be, but it might not be free.

ANYWAY. I was so tired yesterday I wasn't able to get my yoga/meditation done, but as soon as I'm done writing this post I'm going to do a nice stretchy yoga sequence, meditate, and hit the gym for my lunch break (yay working from home on Fridays! :D It's the best.)

Then I've got my class this afternoon which I'm vaguely stressed about because I am having serious problems with the homework.  I asked the teacher for an extension and he's really nice so I'm sure I'll get it, but it being Halloween weekend and all I'm not sure when I'm going to have time to finish it.  Grrr. Adulting. Boo. I absolutely love this class though so really I shouldn't be complaining.

Tonight's SUPER EXCITING FRIDAY NIGHT PLANS are to finish my laundry and cleaning and finish my homework. And maybe allow myself some adult beverage.

• Like 3

Hahaha isn't it HARD to describe those mobility movements??  I was trying to do that with my challenge and eventually was just like, "Eh, I'll just link to the video XD" I have a lot of trouble with Big Toe Lifts - I have to start right now by using my other foot to hold down the rest of my toes to get my brain to realize the motion it needs to do to just pick up the big toe... SO WEIRD. I feel like a little kid trying to figure it out, haha!  I struggle with that one A LOT but like Kate said, I'll eventually get there....

I think the only thing I would add is ankle rolls, but my ankles are pretty torn up after years of high impact sports so they need all the help they can get!! >________<

OMG traps and pec lax work is HEAVENLY.  I never thought it would be.  But holy moly it's kind of the best.  Hurts so good without too much hurt!!!!

I was wiped out last night too, I fell asleep on the couch at 9pm. -_-  Oh the adult life.... TOTALLY AWESOME!

YES HALLOWEEN WEEKEND!!  You can totally balance holiday and homework because you are a rockstar~ :D

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Hahaha isn't it HARD to describe those mobility movements?? I was trying to do that with my challenge and eventually was just like, "Eh, I'll just link to the video XD" I have a lot of trouble with Big Toe Lifts - I have to start right now by using my other foot to hold down the rest of my toes to get my brain to realize the motion it needs to do to just pick up the big toe... SO WEIRD. I feel like a little kid trying to figure it out, haha! I struggle with that one A LOT but like Kate said, I'll eventually get there....

I think the only thing I would add is ankle rolls, but my ankles are pretty torn up after years of high impact sports so they need all the help they can get!! >________<

OMG traps and pec lax work is HEAVENLY. I never thought it would be. But holy moly it's kind of the best. Hurts so good without too much hurt!!!!

I was wiped out last night too, I fell asleep on the couch at 9pm. -_- Oh the adult life.... TOTALLY AWESOME!

YES HALLOWEEN WEEKEND!! You can totally balance holiday and homework because you are a rockstar~ :D

giphy.gif

Oooh ankle rolls! Yes I should probably be doing those. I don't have trouble with the toe lift isolations but I'm really struggling with reverse toe waves. My big toe is just like hey I want to come too!!

Thanks for the vote of confidence :D

Sent by TARDIS delivery service. Apologies for typos caused by interactions with the time vortex.

• Like 1

I've struggled to find foot mobility stuff and I need it.  My google-fu isn't top notch yet...  <wanders off to google more stuff>

Omg it is at least 100 degrees in my gym today. Bikram power lifting time?

• Like 3