Artemis Joins the Mandalorians

Artemis

Wow, you are doing so much. O__O

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Wow, you are doing so much. O__O

Ha!  You're the one with all the combos :)

Did you saw sewing?! Whatchya need? :D

I'm going to post flight suit photos for the mercs soonish. The torso seems fine, but the lower leg is definitely going to need to be taken in especially if my boots fit snugly.  Possibly the arms as well.  I also need to get a vest made and that is way beyond my skill level.  We have a sewing machine back home, but I was never allowed to use it and thus never developed any sewing ability.  I'm looking to do something like the vest in the image below except I'm a bit chubbier and more curvy (darts will probably be necessary).  I'd also probably nix the collar and add panels behind the straps to hide the flight suit.  As the shape is still fairly basic, I'm fairly sure that someone could do this in an afternoon as long as I was available to be a human pincushion.   We've got an entire fashion school on campus, I just need to find some interest.  I have no idea how much I should pay a fellow student (I'm supplying all the materials), and since I've got a relatively tight timeline I decided to start in the $40 range and see if there was interest.  No idea what's fair, but since no one contacted me with an offer, I'll just start somewhere and go up if I have to. 

69a986550ccdea626471de2f66c15b4c.jpg

• Like 1

"Fairy tales are more than true not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten"  -Neil Gaiman

Mandalorian Assassin: Level 5

Current Challenge - Artemis becomes Mandalorian

Overall Weight Loss Journey: Starting Weight -     Current Weight -    Goal -160lbs

Day 18 (yesterday)
-Fitness-Done; pretty much straight cardio today
-Food Tracking - Done
-Stretching - Nope

Costume - ordered a couple of the small things I still need (snap rivets, chicago screws).

Day 19
-Fitness - Done. It was fun, I'm enjoying the martial arts workouts.
-Food Tracking - Done, and horrifically not paleo (mall trip = Panera).
-Stretching - Done

I got quite a bit done accomplished and overall it was a pretty good day. Registered for classes, wrote a mini-paper, sent tons of emails and things to arrange the next week, got clearance on a project, and headed to the mall for some much-needed costume supplies.

Costume
- Boots arrived today! I think these are going to work really nicely. Pics below.
- I made a trip out to the mall today and did a bit of shopping for the last few supplies (ribbon, thread, foam, wire, and some sam browne buttons). I was really excited about the Sam Browne buttons since they're really expensive through Tandy Leather. They're fairly expensive at Michaels too, but Michaels has 40% off coupons. :)
-It looks like there's no interest in my sewing project.  However, since I can obtain access to a sewing machine on campus, you guys get to watch me experience trial by fire. It can't be that hard...

09C6E1DF-7D4A-4570-8629-715C65658ABB_zps
6A59A0EA-EFA6-42BB-ABBB-323A6A51F2C0_zps

Other: Duolingo (18 points)

• Like 2

"Fairy tales are more than true not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten"  -Neil Gaiman

Overall Weight Loss Journey: Starting Weight -     Current Weight -    Goal -160lbs

Wow I think you did great on the first week!

It’s a shame you are unsatisfied with the holster. Can I ask what exactly you were not satisfied with? I know nothing about leatherworking, but I do find it interesting!

Oh and I’m glad yesterday went well! I had quite some catching up to do with your thread, which is a good thing. Means you are rocking it, and updating frequently! <3

The boots look very good, and also very comfortable :)

Day 20 

Fitness - Done.  I was actually surprised that yesterdays workout made me sore and I can already feel today's workout.  Tomorrow will hurt. :)

Food Tracking - Done

Stretching - Planning to do it soon.  I'll post my definitive results tomorrow.

Other

Cooking - My ordered groceries arrived and I did a 2x crock pot recipe (paleo turkey chili).  The first batch is cooking right now and the other batch is in the freezer for next weekend.  I also experimented with my new food scale for this recipe and will calculate the macros tonight or tomorrow.   I've got plenty of other food in the fridge that I'll hopefully get around to cooking in the next few days.

Costume:

-Drilled out holes in the helmet to attach the ears and rangefinder.  I also rough cut the visor (probably another hour of sanding to clean that up).  This actually took most of the afternoon as my drill attachments for my Dremel have apparently grown legs and decided to hide.   As a consequence, I spent hours with small metal files boring holes into my helmet.

-Trophy Lightsaber Crystals - Colored one of my quartz crystals and then wire wrapped both of them.  They're ready for  my belt (whenever I get around to doing that).

Wow I think you did great on the first week!

It’s a shame you are unsatisfied with the holster. Can I ask what exactly you were not satisfied with? I know nothing about leatherworking, but I do find it interesting!

Oh and I’m glad yesterday went well! I had quite some catching up to do with your thread, which is a good thing. Means you are rocking it, and updating frequently! <3

The boots look very good, and also very comfortable :)

Thanks!

The holster came out okay, but it wasn't good enough.  This is probably due to my lack of leatherworking experience, but it just wasn't a detailed enough shape.  I'm going to give it one more shot and I'll stick with whatever the result is.

I'm trying to update consistently since I'm finding that it's helping to keep me on track.  The accountability that comes from posting my results is really helping my progress.

I'm really happy with the boots.  It made all of the hours of online research well worth it. 

• Like 4

Well doing it again only increases your experience in leather working! So I definitely hope it turns out better, but even if it doesn't it's good practice! Same, I also try to update consistently because it helps me too :D So glad the boots don't disappoint <3

• Like 1

You are literally my inspiration. 

Shrilaraune

Assassin + Monk + Druid= Sage | Level 4

|| STR 8 || DEX 6 || STA 7 || CON 7 || WIS 10 || CHA 1 ||

"The average is the borderline that keeps mere men in their place.

Those who step over the line are heroes by the very act. Go." - Henry Rollins

|| My Story || Battle Log || Epic Quest ||

|| Challenges: Current4, 32, 1 ||

Affiliations:

|| Coming || Soon||

"Don't hate your body. It's just trying to keep you alive." - Starsapart

You are literally my inspiration.

Thanks! You can do it! Darebee hurts, but it seems to be working... I'll stop by your thread and say hi :)

Boots look awesome! Hope you find a willing work student soon for that vest! I'd offer if I was closer in proximity.

I appreciate the offer :). As it happens, there isn't any interest, so I get the sewing version of trial by fire. Tips are welcome

• Like 3

Week 1 Summary 

1. Prepare for Battle - Foundational Fitness - A+
Challenge Goal: 7/7 days of the Darebee Hero's Journey Program.
Bonus: 0/2 - I still haven't found time to visit the gym.

2. Fit into the Smugglers Compartment - Become more Flexible - B-
Challenge Goal: Stretch Daily - 5/7 -  I should probably set a phone reminder, or get in the habit of doing this after Darebee.  I seem to be forgetting about it until I go to do my daily update.

3. Eat Like a Warrior - B
Challenge Goals -
1. Track food - 7/7   I am awarding myself a B because I ate a couple doughnuts and a mint-chocolate chip shake.  I'm kind of thinking I should start giving myself a daily food grade and listing any slip-ups to help keep my-self accountable.  
2. Cut caffeine by the end of Week 2. - Nearly there, but not quite.  Definitely by the end of this week.

4. Maintain the Starship - Life Goal (broken into Mini Goals) - B
Challenge Mini-Goals:

• Obliterate the inbox - No progress
  • Clean the Crew Quarters - My room kind of looks like a Mandalorian exploded.  There are costume supplies everywhere and I don't really expect this to change until the end of my build process.  
  • Prepare the Armoury - I managed a few small bits of progress, discovered I was still missing the supplies for my girth belt (oops), ordered those parts. Helmet prepped for assembly, visor in progress. 
  • Find Mercenary Work - 0/2. I really need to finish my resume and have it checked by Career Services. 
  • Beyond Basic - Practice my Italian on Duolingo - 1 days progress.  I'm falling a bit behind on this goal and need to double down this week.

Ultimate Goal - Fit in the Armor
Gained 1 pounds somewhere over the last week.  This isn't bad considering I had a few diet slip-ups (shakes and doughnuts are very much not good for the waistline).  I'm back on track though, and have plenty of healthy food for the upcoming week. 

Current weight (10/25) - 191 pounds
11/2 - 187.2 pounds

11/9 -? (scale needs batteries)

11/16 - 188.2 pounds.  

Side Quests
Engage in Skirmishes - Mini challenges - I ended up not playing in this last mini.
Join a Squad - Post in other threads. A+
Become a Commander - Completed 5 supervisor requirements and made more progress on the checklist.  I'm getting really close, but I don't think I'll make the deadline I set (When I did the initial write-up I forgot that the dining hall will be closed over Thanksgiving Break). I believe I'm currently ahead of all the other newbies, so that's something

• Like 2

Glad to see that you're still fighting the good fight!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Just posting to say that I am in fact still alive (though I have been 100% terrible about fitness/food the last 10 days or so).  I'll try to post a more comprehensive update tonight.

• Like 2

I beg to differ

torch_ffmovie..jpg

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

As long as you're not on actual fire, it can't be aĺl bad.

I beg to differ.

torch_ffmovie..jpg

• Like 1

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

So, what basically happened is that I was doing great up until the 24th or so and then...  It was Thanksgiving break and I totally stopped eating properly and didn't even realize I'd stopped working out until about three days after I'd stopped.  This is probably because I was 100% focused on two things: sleep and costume.  Sometimes when I get really into something I kind of sideline everything else without realizing (this occasionally includes not eating when I get really into a project).  I'm going to pick up where I left off with Hero's Journey tonight and am currently trying to get my groceries sorted for the week.   On the positive side, even though my food choices weren't the best, I definitely wasn't doing a lot of boredom eating, so my weight is basically the same.

Oh, I also had a bit of an exercise-related health scare that wasn't particularly fun.  It's not graphic or anything, I'm just shrinking it for those who would rather move on to reading the fun stuff.

I was on my second set of exercises and was doing transition planks (elbows to standard and back) when I started experiencing really bad shortness of breath.  I didn't realize what exactly was going on until it was too late and then I spent the next 20 minutes flat on my back trying to recover.  I suspect this was related to my heart condition (congenital aortic stenosis), but I'm not sure if it was just that the exercise was too difficult, that I possibly wasn't breathing properly, or even possibly a combination of both.  Technically speaking, my cardiologist doesn't really want me exercising, but I have been explicitly told that doing so won't cause any further harm, I could just experience a sort of 'reset' if I push myself too hard.  Basically, I have a 2-part valve that doesn't function properly and I experience backflow as a result.  My heart also has to work significantly harder than others in order to achieve the same result and this results in muscle growth.  Which totally sounds awesome ('cause who doesn't want a super heart?) until you discover that the result is a shrinkage of the chamber size and thus the heart has to work even harder, build more muscle, etc.  Enter the vicious cycle.  The 'no exercise' rule is due to the fact that I could hypothetically work hard enough that the need of my body for oxygen could outweigh the capabilities of my heart.  I would then collapse/shut down until I can recover (death/permanent injury is NOT a risk).  This is how it was explained to me, however prior to this I'd never experienced it to this extent.

I suspect that this is what occurred though I realized what was happening and laid down before my body decided to make the decision for me.  What I'm not certain about is whether this was 100% related to my heart not keeping up, or whether I accidentally accelerated the process by not breathing properly.  I've caught myself holding my breath when planking before, so I may have been unconsciously doing that as well.  I'm probably going to have to experiment with whether full body exercises or isolation exercises cause this to occur more quickly and then develop a way to work around it.  I suspect that short, high-intensity sets with longish breaks in between may be the way to go.

I've also made some significant forward progress on my costume, though it is definitely taking longer than I'd like.  This is probably partially in my head as many of the pieces are close(ish) to done; it just won't feel like it until I actually start painting.  The leg armor is nearly ready for paint, and most of the belt rig is fairly close to completion.  Torso armor progress has stalled until I can get my vest made (maybe monday/tuesday) and making the patterns has become the bane of my existence.  I'm of the opinion that the best route is princess seams, but I may end up going with regular darts instead.  I've got templates for all the other soft parts and am just waiting on the vest template before I start cutting fabric.

The other large piece is my helmet and I'm aiming to complete that by Tuesday since I'm planning to take it to my Entrepreneurial Finance class for a business presentation.  I'm pitching a costume related idea and my professor keeps grilling people on their qualifications, so I thought I'd bring a 'resume' of my painting abilities since I can't claim credit for the helmet build.  I'd take my verpine shatter rifle instead, since it's a complete scratch build, however I don't think admin would appreciate that.  :rolleyes-new:

• Like 3

As long as you're not on actual fire, it can't be aĺl bad.

I beg to differ.

Not on fire, though being the human torch could possibly be fun. :)

Hope the costume front is going well, at least!

Slower than I'd like, and MMCC approval by TFA is looking impossible, but I'm getting there. :)

• Like 3

I'm glad to see that you caught yourself not eating properly! Most people would say, "Ehh, screw it, it's already been ___ Days/Hours/Minutes. I'll just call it quits here." But not you! You stood your ground against that temptation and said, "No! I will resume! (Although it's more like, "Oh yeah, I forgot about that!")" But still! You're improving and that's what counts!

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

I'm glad to see that you caught yourself not eating properly! Most people would say, "Ehh, screw it, it's already been ___ Days/Hours/Minutes. I'll just call it quits here." But not you! You stood your ground against that temptation and said, "No! I will resume! (Although it's more like, "Oh yeah, I forgot about that!")" But still! You're improving and that's what counts!

I freely admit that, following the realization that I had forgotten, there was definitely a bit of "screw it, you failed again, it wasn't meant to be...".  And then I told myself I was being an idiot.    

This week has been going okay.  I think I've been eating too much and part of that is the papers/projects/finals mayhem that has resulted in me turning into a vegetable in front of my computer.  Boredom eating is something I need to work on.  I'm going to be running really short on sleep over the next few days as I try to finish everything and have some semblance of a completed costume.   If I can get the paint done before my flight, then I should be able to finish attachment on Wednesday and be ready to go by Thursday.  Maybe.

While this challenge hasn't been as successful as I would have liked, I've still made some progress and that is better than nothing.  I'm looking forward to doubling down for the next challenge and getting even more accomplished

• Like 4

Finals are rough; schoolwork always makes this hectic time of year even more stressful. Good luck on your finals!

Sounds to me like you made a lot of progress; while there was a moment of almost throwing in the towel, you kept pushing along. To me, that is a huge accomplishment, as that is one of my weakest points. And you've still been taking steps in the right direction for your goals, along with learning and observing certain things that you might not have been aware of before and wanting to fix it (boredom eating, something I also suffer from). 

I would call it a success, based on those points alone. :)

• Like 1

After lots of thinking, and much staring at my current progress on both my costume and my stack of final papers, I have come to the painful realization that my Mandalorian build needs to be put on hold for now.  The people on the Mercs are right in saying that I'll regret rushing my build.  At the same time, while I really want to have something put together for TFA, I've also got roughly 8 hours of excel, 3 final papers (10 pages), and a few more written finals to finish by Thurday.  Unfortunately, I do not get all of the things I want in life and finishing this semester strong has to take precedence over having a half-finished Mandalorian by Thursday.  The build is on hold until next weekend, at which point I will have almost 1 month of break from school to finish some things (Mandalorian costume, internship applications, study abroad photo album).  When school ends, all the other projects get put into full-speed mode.  The madness never ends, it's just a different type of work.

• Like 3