Artemis Joins the Mandalorians

Artemis

After lots of thinking, and much staring at my current progress on both my costume and my stack of final papers, I have come to the painful realization that my Mandalorian build needs to be put on hold for now. The people on the Mercs are right in saying that I'll regret rushing my build. At the same time, while I really want to have something put together for TFA, I've also got roughly 8 hours of excel, 3 final papers (10 pages), and a few more written finals to finish by Thurday. Unfortunately, I do not get all of the things I want in life and finishing this semester strong has to take precedence over having a half-finished Mandalorian by Thursday. The build is on hold until next weekend, at which point I will have almost 1 month of break from school to finish some things (Mandalorian costume, internship applications, study abroad photo album). When school ends, all the other projects get put into full-speed mode. The madness never ends, it's just a different type of work.

Whew, I don't envy you finals week! Seriously, I'm so glad to be (maybe) done with school! I think the choice you made was ultimately a wise one and hindsight will reveal that in time. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Shrilaraune

Assassin + Monk + Druid= Sage | Level 4

|| STR 8 || DEX 6 || STA 7 || CON 7 || WIS 10 || CHA 1 ||

"The average is the borderline that keeps mere men in their place.

Those who step over the line are heroes by the very act. Go." - Henry Rollins

|| My Story || Battle Log || Epic Quest ||

|| Challenges: Current4, 32, 1 ||

Affiliations:

|| Coming || Soon||

"Don't hate your body. It's just trying to keep you alive." - Starsapart

For some reason, I'm not able to add quotes right now, but you are both right. Good idea to put the costume down and do real work.

Finals week is always rough even if you prepare, which is a concept my family doesn't always seem to grasp. No matter how much prep you do, getting landed with half a dozen large assignments all at once leads to a week of mayhem that's only made worse by packing to fly home. I'm not going to lie, I sometimes think that my workload is going to significantly decrease after college. Hindsight is already here and I was right. I've been barely keeping up with everything as it is, and was averaging about 3-4hrs sleep every night until yesterday when I literally had to sleep 6 hrs or I was going to collapse. And, despite my best efforts, plenty of things are going wrong. For instance, I had a paper due at 2 today, so I emailed it in around 1:40 and went to take care of a few things. Checked my email at 2:30 only to see a note from my professor saying that as she hadn't received my paper by the deadline, I could no longer submit it. AKA You get a zero for 20% of your grade. Boom. A to C in no time at all. So, I checked my email, only to see that the original email hadn't gone through and had been returned by the server. At this point, I'm in full melt-down mode and am trying to type a short email and resend the original message with a screenshot of the returned email and its timestamp. I was crying so hard I couldn't even talk when my brother was trying to figure out what was wrong. Happy ending: My professor is going to accept my paper due to the timestamp on the original email. Still, I really didn't need the added excitement to my day. Sorry about the mini rant, I think I'm still venting my emotional trauma a little bit.

On the positive side of things:

-STAR WARS IS TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

-My family decided to go to Disneyland tomorrow, which is always fun. I just have to finish another paper first.

-One of my professors extended out paper deadline to Sunday since he only has to grade four papers. Yay, for small classes!

I really am going to try to update more often, but like I said, these last few days I've had literally zero free time to get anything else done

• Like 4

"Fairy tales are more than true not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten"  -Neil Gaiman

Mandalorian Assassin: Level 5

Current Challenge - Artemis becomes Mandalorian

Overall Weight Loss Journey: Starting Weight -     Current Weight -    Goal -160lbs

Ok, I promise I'm actually going to get back on track with everything (including daily posts).  I was nearly there, but then finals happened and everything collapsed again.  I'm back home now and just sent in my last paper (YES!), which means I now have 'free' time.  I didn't make it to Disney land since one of my papers took a bit longer than planned, but that's life.  There will be an opportunity to go in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to it (I really want to see those costume displays...).  I did make it to the Star Wars premier and had a great time with friends.  No costume for me, but one of my friends came as a female Han Solo.  Sometime in the next few weeks I'm going to help her out with a belt and blaster rig, so that she can have that for next Halloween.  There were actually quite a few people dressed up for the premier, lots of Jedi and one or two sith.  The miniature, child Rey was possibly my favorite.  

Saturday was a musical theater day for a small group of my friends and I.  A few months ago we found out that the broadway cast of If/Then was touring with Idina Menzel and we grabbed some college-budget seats.  Unfortunately, when we got down there we were informed that she was sick and the theater was offering exchanges/refunds.  This was extremely nice of them and 100% not necessary (not that I don't totally appreciate it).  We weren't sure what we wanted to do, until I discovered that we could see this show and exchange our tickets for a later date, so that's what we opted to do.  It appears that quite a few people exchanged their tickets without knowing they could also see this show, or just decided to get a refund, because the theater was nearly half empty.  They missed an excellent show, and we benefitted by being able to steal someone's front and center seats on the mezzanine level.  Plus, we get to go back next weekend. :)

The holidays are nearly here and I'm actually 95% done with my Christmas shopping, so I may even have a few days of relative relaxation before the relatives arrive.

On the fitness side of things, I've been so irregular with everything that I'm considering starting the program over just to get the full benefit of everything.  Paleo is also probably out the window while I'm home.  I'm going to track everything instead and pay very close attention to the choices that I'm making.  Where possible, I will avoid excessively processed food.  Tomorrow I'm thinking I'll break out my bokken and try one of the Darebee Katana workouts.  I kind of thought it might be fun to get outside and do something a bit different.   

• Like 3

"Fairy tales are more than true not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten"  -Neil Gaiman

Overall Weight Loss Journey: Starting Weight -     Current Weight -    Goal -160lbs

Workout (Darebee:

-Katana Warmup

-Samurai (lvl 2)

The workout was great fun once I figured out what I was doing.  

Food tracking - done.  

Other: Lots of room cleaning.  I also started working on cleaning up a sword one of my friends gave me.  He found it in the attic of their new house and it was totally covered in gunk.  According to google, it's a sword for one of the Masonic Knights of Columbus and is probably roughly 80 years old.  Anyways, I started cleaning it up and it turns out that most of the plating is still intact underneath the dirt and rust.  It'll never be in amazing condition, but it's looking like it'll be nice enough to make a neat display piece.

• Like 2

It's pretty neat, but there's a long way to go on cleanup.  I am essentially buffing the rust off of the sheath since steel wool would wreck the nickel plating.  I've found 2 small spots where the rust has eaten through to the base metal (not 100% sure what was used. iron?), but it's looking like the plating is mostly intact if somewhat dented in places.  The silver plating on the fittings is basically rust resistant and seems like it's all there.  Thankfully the blade was left sheathed, so it's in great shape.  Tiny bit of rust towards the crossguard, but nothing bad.  As far as I can tell, this was originally built as a custom wearable display piece for a specific person (the sheath and blade both have a name etched in).  Very fancy and very much not sharp.

Katana practice plus a couple hours of intensive buffing wrecked my arms, so I took a day off.  I did some random exercising tonight just to get myself moving.  Probably more katana work tomorrow, since I had a good time during the first round.

Grades are in!  4 A's, 1 A-, 1 B+  A very solid semester considering the course load, my promotion, and the difficulty of the classes.   

I've started tossing around some ideas for the next challenge and am just waiting for the new rules/forums to appear before I get started.

• Like 3

I'm not sure if I'm worried about the new rules or not. As long as they don't make it harder to participate, log, or keep score, I guess it's all good.

Congratulations on your grades! Well done!

I'm not super worried about the new rules.  More intrigued than anything.  Everyone will do a bit of tinkering to make it fit their system anyways, so it's all good.  It looks like they're up and I'm going to give them a read later tonight.

Katana practice sounds epic! Just wanted to wish you happy holidays! 

Thanks, happy holidays to you too!  Christmas is amazing. :)

Katana practice is fun.  My family is like, "what were you doing outside, R (younger brother) said you had a sword..." 

The holidays have been great so far and the speed of life has slowed down a tiny bit.  Christmas = Artemis gets to play the new family copy of Star Wars Battlefront (and acquire lots of new reading material).     Holiday food has been amazing, however I'm fairly sure that my waistline is rapidly expanding...  It's been great, but now that Christmas is over I probably need to reign in my splurging.  More moving, less food. :)

I'm going to start costume work again on Monday and since I now have access to a variety of power tools/extra helpers, things might move a bit faster than before.

Today:

-Sword practice (same Darebee workout as earlier this week)

-Food Log complete

• Like 2

I think it's awesome that you've donned the Katana as both your weapon and as your workout!

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."