• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

originalpiratematerial

originalpiratematerial - "you're an apprentice, you're not ready to think yet"

A very different day for me today!

I've recorded >12,000 steps which, together with yesterday's >20,000, has the daily average looking pretty healthy.

Exercise-wise - I went swimming! Haven't done that for ages. Only 20 lengths but as I am very out of practice I thought that was ok. May even count as half a strength workout?

Food - have not counted up for today yet, but yesterday was good despite distraction of awol son!

I have done some Pilates core exercise this week so that's a tick. Calf strengthening - I am counting the trip to the chiropractor for that!

This afternoon I spent four hours learning about welfare and benefits law. V interesting.

• Like 4

hey, found your thread at least, luck is beginning to smile back at me !

i am so happy that you seem to get back on track after these difficult times

regarding the "get away from injury while you run" thing, i had difficult times at the beginning too, it seemed like my shins were on fire after a few minutes, and was afraid something was wrong. I even stopped running and after a few weeks of legs strenghtening routine during my bodyweight workouts (squats, lunges and a lot of walking), i tried again and was surprised to see it had completely disappeared ! i do not even mention my cardiovascular system that had gone back from the dead by doing strength excercises in a circuit !! but i know nothing else !

anyway you have great goals, you are great, so you'll do great things :playful:  once again and i'll follow you to cheer you on as much as i can !! 

I myself read everynight a "real" novel before going to bed, like you, it's the only thing in my life i will never ever give up ! (besides my daughter of course... she'll give up on me first !!)

• Like 2

Thank you!

Yes, I do seem to have been very up and down this week.  It's been an odd one!  Today has been a real curate's egg - but at least the afternoon was good.  I took DS3 (autistic, pretty much non-verbal) to the Museum of Childhood and he really enjoyed it, which was great as he had a stinker of a morning  :nightmare:  .  When we got home, the rain had stopped and the skies were clearing.  So I put on my running gear and went out.  Ran  3km without pausing or walking and felt fine!  I did wear the Nike Free shoes, and I also put on my calf sleeves, which are quite ridiculous but i feel the extra support for the muscles might help keep the fibula where it's meant to be without getting "stuck".  Seemed to work anyway.   And as I was returning home I was rewarded by a beautiful evening red sky.  

Winwaleous, I think going back to reading books has levelled up my life like nothing else!  I'm halfway through the Man Booker prizewinner at the moment.  (It's very good, imho.)

• Like 4

Yeah, reading kicks ass. I know that if i remained sane through many of the hard times i have been, it's due to reading, in fact. It educated me, validated the feelings i had when no one seemed to bother or when i was unable to express them... and when the time had come to try to regain control of my life, it's reading that gave me the weapons that made sense to me... i'm sorry if i sound overly dramatic all of a sudden... came from the heart !!!

so i'll follow your "humble opinion". i've checked for a brief history of seven killings, but it's due to be published in french only in september 2016. Oh the agony. How's the english ? If it's not too harsh i might be able to read it right now. 

i have just finished this awesome novel , 1Q84, by Haruki Murakami, in 3 volumes, which really moved me, but i have some trouble focusing on the one i just picked at the library, Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks. I want to dive into it because i heard it was awesome, but i have failed yet to find a good entry point in the story...

• Like 1

I'll check out the Booker winner. I'm currently reading a Georges Simenon novel and a collection of Clifford Simak stories.

Win, my favorite essayist wrote a good overview of Banks's Culture novels. Check it out here: http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/the-ambiguous-utopia-of-iain-m-banks

I've read Player of Games and one other Banks Culture book I can't remember the name of.

• Like 1

Well, the English is really Jamaican English, and a lot of it is in patois. And the story is told in "stream of consciousness" interior monologue. There's also a large cast of characters. Maybe see if you can read a sample online?

I read Consider Phlebas years ago and tbh I can't really remember it. I prefer Iain Banks non-SF stuff (which he wrote as Iain Banks).

Murakami I don't know very well but I have read Norwegian Wood quite recently and loved it. So I'm going to file away your recommendation!

I'll check out the Booker winner. I'm currently reading a Georges Simenon novel and a collection of Clifford Simak stories.

Win, my favorite essayist wrote a good overview of Banks's Culture novels. Check it out here: http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/the-ambiguous-utopia-of-iain-m-banks

I've read Player of Games and one other Banks Culture book I can't remember the name of.

Thanks Trawler ! Just finished reading the essay, it definitely made me want to stick to the novel ! but i think i'm in it now since last night ! but actually it's kind of my fault. Last week, i've been reading in smaller chunks than usual, so it's hard to focus that way and really get into the story

the essay pointed to such interesting features and notions, i really want to know more. Right now, it reminds me of one of the New Space Opera classics, Absolution Gap and its following novels, by Alastair Reynolds, but as some kind of antithesis of it. In Reynold's, the speed of light is not mastered, every space travel takes a lifetime to accomplish. And there's a sense of decay, melancholy, even sadness, floating around the universe, which is very impressive. Whereas the Culture seems a more utopian (dystopian ? time will tell !) civilization... but both novels have the most kick-ass spaceships names !

Well, the English is really Jamaican English, and a lot of it is in patois. And the story is told in "stream of consciousness" interior monologue. There's also a large cast of characters. Maybe see if you can read a sample online?

I read Consider Phlebas years ago and tbh I can't really remember it. I prefer Iain Banks non-SF stuff (which he wrote as Iain Banks).

Murakami I don't know very well but I have read Norwegian Wood quite recently and loved it. So I'm going to file away your recommendation!

stream-of-consciousness style... the 4 most dreaded words in my personal conception of literature !!!  :nightmare:  :nightmare:  i'm kidding i read some great stuff in that tradition, but i think the jamaican slang might be way over My top... but i'll check for a sample online, good idea. That's a reflex i never have !

I think this is a great combination, being able to talk about both books and fitness!

reading while planking is way cooler than planking in front of the Tv !!!

Checking in to say that I'm following your literature discussion with great interest -- I've also picked up the "Brief history ..." and thought it seemed interesting, but haven't had time to get to it yet. Maybe later! :)

Glad to see you're doing well, Pirate!

• Like 1

Another post, because that poster is wonderful! The light coming out of the door is beautiful and that little word "welcome" -- you should tell him a random person on the internet thinks he has a lot of talent and that his poster gives off a very inviting feeling.

• Like 1