Nymeria

martian-gallery3-gallery-image.jpg

Main goal: Climb all of the things!  Parkour all of the things!  Thumb my nose at gravity!  Make and post videos of all of the things!  

My schedule is already really full, so I'm not biting off too much this challenge, fitness-wise.  I already spend a lot of time doing parkour, rock climbing, and yoga.  When I can manage to squeeze it in, I also like hand balancing, playing with weapons, hiking, rucking, and playground workouts.  I'm also trying hard to remember that rest days are important, too.  Even if I don't have so many direct fitness goals, I tend to log and talk incessantly about the parkour and climbing and other shenanigans.  Because PARKOUR!!! and CLIMBING!!!   :)

Goal 1: Stick to strict rations (food goal)

matt-damon-martian.jpg

Between all of the holidays, the Halloween candy, football booze, and my body trying to convince me to fatten up for winter, it's really tough to avoid eating like an asshole.  But, for once, I don't want to just brush off this season as a "dirty bulk".  So, it's time to stick with (what is for me) strict rations.

1a. Fix that breakfast.  I typically eat an apple, greek yogurt, and some sort of breakfast bar.  Not only is the breakfast bar unhealthy, but I'm also usually hungry well before lunch time.  So, the goal is to have 5 days/week where I avoid any sort of breakfast bar or cereal, and instead replace that by cooking eggs or some oatmeal.

1b. Continue loving the crock pot.  The goal is at least 6 batch cooked meals over the course of the challenge.  Having healthy food in abundance tends to encourage healthy eating.

1c. Don't overdo the booze.  I'm not being as strict as last challenge, but I'm still only allowing myself 12 drinks over the 6 weeks.  Also, whenever I'm in a social drinking situation and don't really want to drink, but go along with the crowd, I lose a point.  I can re-gain that point by either foregoing one drink for the challenge or by making a point of passing up some social drinking.

Goal 2: Jump like I'm in Martian gravity. (fitness goal)

jump.png

At this point in my parkour training, I really feel that my jumping ability is holding me back.  I was a decent (but not great) jumper before the knee blowout, and I unfortunately still haven't managed to even regain my old abilities.   One of the better ways to jump higher is to add some weight to that squat.  So, twice/week, I will do some sort of squat session.  It might be goblet squats.  It might be assisted pistols.  It might be weighted bulgarian split squats.  I also need to take better care of my knee(s) if I want to continue with training hard.  But, I learned last challenge that if I don't make a goal of doing my prehab work and foam rolling, I just end up not doing it.  So....

Goal is twice/week squat session and 5x/ week prehab.

Goal 3:  Science!  (Life goal)

7N6jLZM.gif

Now that the kids are in school, I have much more time to return to my scientific roots.  One of my future goals is to make a bunch of science and math educational apps.  I have a lot of ideas.  What I lack is some of the coding knowledge.  So, the goal is to completely finish my Xcode 7 and Swift course.  

Goal 4: Become a data nerd -> Hack my headspace. (Life goal)

Most days, the kids are in school, the husband is at work, and I'm spending too much time like this

ng8zspcv4wubkb28zeyy.jpg

And to be fair, I am very productive.  I just don't always deal very well with too much alone-ness and too much unstructured time.  I'm prone to anxiety.  I also have bouts of being overly pissed off and some bouts of seasonal affective disorder.  Anyone who has followed me for any length of time knows that I'm the antithesis of being a data nerd.  Usually I just wing everything and more or less remember what's what.  But for once, I want to keep better notes, so I can see a pattern.  

The goal for this is to track what effects any of these have when I'm having mood issues and want to re-gain control of my headspace:  calming tea, playing the piano, yoga, guided meditation, taking a nature walk, and any other methods I can come up with.  I'm not going to expect results this challenge.  I just want to get in the habit of recognizing the signs of a bad mood, trying something, and tracking how well it works.  

And here is the spreadsheet.

The-Martian-Matt-Damon.jpg

Bonus: #1 - Get back in the habit of playing the piano.  At least 60 minutes/week.  Hopefully, this can double with goal 4 in helping with the headspace.

Bonus #2 - Be resourceful!  I'm going to shamelessly steal Raptron's Catch-em-all hand balancing fest.  Because I can.

Bonus #3 - Actually participate in the guild mini this time.

I'll probably have some strong edits for this later.  The new challenge thread was already exploding, and I wanted to get in on the action right away!  :redface-new:  

• Like 20

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

I'll be following. This looks like a great challenge. I love seeing that Ranger Badge under your avatar.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Definitely following.  The Martian was such a stellar movie.  I love the theme.  I'm interested what you discover with the data nerd/mood hacking goal.  I have a hard time with this one myself.  I think I could benefit from the tracking and the cause/effect/probability game, but I get easily bogged down and bored with data collection.  Inconsistency is my biggest consistency.  

PS.  Glad to see you drank the Ranger juice.  ;)

• Like 2

Rangering since Sept 2015

martian-gallery3-gallery-image.jpg

Main goal: Climb all of the things!  Parkour all of the things!  Thumb my nose at gravity!  Make and post videos of all of the things!  

Thumbing my nose at gravity on your behalf.  Yay for The Martian theme!  I'm so glad you went with this.

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Current:   Cry Havoc™: Bladesong of the Warhawk

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Sol (-6) update (week 0, days 1-2): 

I was hoping to go climbing yesterday, but the repair guy didn't arrive until 5:45-ish.  So, climbing is happening tonight, instead.  I'm still trying to chip away at a 5.10+ slab route and a V4-ish boulder problem.  

I ended up having a great yoga session yesterday.  I had a full 20 second (unsupported) forearm stand hold.  My bird of paradise was much more stable and balanced than usual.  And then I finally felt solid enough on my side crow to give Fallen Angel another try.  I an pretty consistently lift my hip off of my arm, but the moment I fully straighten the other leg, I topple.  I think in the short term, I'll have to practice keeping my legs a bit bent and holding that for time before progressing to extending them.  

But, I had to whip out my yoga toe socks, since my basement was otherwise too damn cold.  And this is such BS.  It's only october.  I shouldn't need to be in winter-yoga mode.  Ugh.

Speaking of yoga, I went ahead and rebooted the Beer Yoga PVP.  I had expected to just cut and paste the old spreadsheet into a new file and then do some minor tweaks, but it ended up being a major overhaul.  There were a lot of redundant poses, and almost none of the links were working.  But it's done and ready now!

• Like 9

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Excellent challenge!

I'm still hesitant about watching the movie though, everyone is raving about it but for some strange reason I really don't like Matt Damon and watching his face for two hours might just make me grumpy. :tongue: But I should probably at least pick up the book.

The book is even better.  You won't regret it.  

• Like 1

Rangering since Sept 2015

Excellent challenge!

I'm still hesitant about watching the movie though, everyone is raving about it but for some strange reason I really don't like Matt Damon and watching his face for two hours might just make me grumpy. :tongue: But I should probably at least pick up the book.

I totally understand your Matt Damon feelings.  So, yeah.  Read the book!

The book is even better.  You won't regret it.  

Agreed!

• Like 1

My tutorials:

I'm going to probably borrow ALL your crock-pot meals. We love our crock-pot and use it daily it seems lol. I second Tank..it's pretty swanky to see that ranger badge under your name...WOOT!

I also subbed the Beer Yoga thread, you are kickass for getting that up even if some of the links don't work.

Bonus #3 - Actually participate in the guild mini this time.

Eww... I did terrible with this last time. This is also something I want to keep up with!

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf- Level 10 (Respec)

Class: Operator/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 196#

Stats: STR: 28 / DEX: 20 / END: 21 / CON: 27 / WIS: 31 / CHA: 30

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: The Scout Who Outwitted the Lifter of the Dead

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Oh, and duh, LOVE the theme and how you integrated it into this challenge! Still need to see the movie but at least I can go along with book references :)

Wolf

Wild Wolf- Level 10 (Respec)

Class: Operator/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 196#

Stats: STR: 28 / DEX: 20 / END: 21 / CON: 27 / WIS: 31 / CHA: 30

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: The Scout Who Outwitted the Lifter of the Dead

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

So much to love about this challenge, The Martian theme, the jumping challenge, the hacking what helps you deal with anxiety, and stealing Raptron's hand balancing feats!

• Like 1

Wisdom- 13.5 Dexterity- 10 Charisma- 11 Strength- 12 Constitution-10 

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"The chief goal of living is not to merely stay alive" Mike Rowe

Yesss. Such a solid challenge outline. I loveeee it. And yes, all the poses! I need to dig up more to flesh out the sheet better. I only put it together in about 20 minutes this morning so there's tons and tons more fun stuff out there I am sure. :)

Raptron, alot assassin

6564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Sol (-6) update (week 0, days 1-2): 

I was hoping to go climbing yesterday, but the repair guy didn't arrive until 5:45-ish.  So, climbing is happening tonight, instead.  I'm still trying to chip away at a 5.10+ slab route and a V4-ish boulder problem.  

I ended up having a great yoga session yesterday.  I had a full 20 second (unsupported) forearm stand hold.  My bird of paradise was much more stable and balanced than usual.  And then I finally felt solid enough on my side crow to give Fallen Angel another try.  I an pretty consistently lift my hip off of my arm, but the moment I fully straighten the other leg, I topple.  I think in the short term, I'll have to practice keeping my legs a bit bent and holding that for time before progressing to extending them.  

But, I had to whip out my yoga toe socks, since my basement was otherwise too damn cold.  And this is such BS.  It's only october.  I shouldn't need to be in winter-yoga mode.  Ugh.

Speaking of yoga, I went ahead and rebooted the Beer Yoga PVP.  I had expected to just cut and paste the old spreadsheet into a new file and then do some minor tweaks, but it ended up being a major overhaul.  There were a lot of redundant poses, and almost none of the links were working.  But it's done and ready now!

HELL TO THE YES.

Stop getting me all fired up for strange activities.  You got me hooked on Parkour and now I'm glaring at my girlfriend's yoga mat in anticipation...

ALSO BEER YOGA

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Current:   Cry Havoc™: Bladesong of the Warhawk

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Um you are really cool and you are kind of my hero.  Subbed.  Also the Martian is amazing, everyone should read it!

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

Great theme! Following for the code, the data, the science, the awesome!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

la la la I'm not listening!!

I haven't seen the Martian yet so I skipped over all the stuffs and came straight to the comment box! I will come back and check in once I've seen the movie because spoilers!

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Current Challenge (Jan 2021)

Nice challenge again :) following! Hoping to see you jumping 9 feet like a Martian by the end of this challenge...

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

I really like how varied your headspace correcting ideas are.  I find that a lot of times if I'm feeling not so great in that department it depends what contributed to my not-so-great state that ends up bringing me back to center again.  I really like your idea for tracking your mood and how you react to these things! I'm a data junkie and I never considered looking at that aspect of life from a data perspective before. 

• Like 2

Awesome theme!  I adore the movie and now listening to the audiobook.

Good luck with the challenge!

Matt's great, but here's my other favorite Martian

The Mars rover Curiosity.  Built for 100 days and going 3 years strong.

60937.ngsversion.1421961775979.adapt.768

• Like 7

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

Sol (-5)  Climbing last night was great!  Multiple times, I made it to the 3rd from the last hold of a 5.10+ route, only to lose my grip at the very end.  The entire route is made of little foot chips, so I reached a point where my fingers just gave out (and then burned for the next 5 minutes after releasing tension).  I also managed tons of bouldering and fore-running some new routes.  But...

Sol (-4) - Today - is my "all the parkour" day.  And I'm sore from yesterday.  Damn it.  On the good side, we're focusing on rail techniques this week, so I won't need to be hauling around a bunch of heavy boxes for the two classes I'm teaching today.  I still will need to haul around a bunch of crash mats (also quite heavy), and I'll probably fry out my grip and shoulders while taking my own parkour class.  

I've been trying to use the zero week to start establishing good habits, and I'm glad I have the extra time to get into a groove.  I had some headspace problems yesterday, but I forgot to really record things.  I'm going to have to make a spreadsheet (ugh.  this is so not in my nature) and stay honest with keeping track of things.  

I have been doing a good job with laying off of the breakfast bars, so there is that.  :)

Tentatively, this week's plan is:

Monday - yoga DONE

Tuesday - climbing DONE

Wednesday - teach 2 parkour classes; take 1 class

Thurs - Hot Vinyasa yoga class

Friday - Rest (so probably a nature walk and light yoga)

Saturday - Parkour (teach 1 class, 1 hour of "free time" in gym, take one class).  Halloween!

Sunday - hopefully hit up big climbing gym.

• Like 5

My tutorials:

yay challenge! I love that you keep doing challenges and dialing it in. because that's what I try to do too, and you're such a great role model (HA!)

though I don't understand how beer yoga works with less drinking...?

asking because I am also doing less drinking, and would like to do beer yoga. please advise.

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.