Nymeria

giphy.gif

I'm dying to see The Martian but haven't got around to it yet. Climbing and Parkour, so cool! Climbing is something I promised myself I'd do this year and I haven't managed to get around to that either. I'm thinking your challenge will inspire me to finally do it!

• Like 3

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Thanks, everyone!  And really, all of you who want to try parkour or climbing should just do it.  You won't regret it!  :)

@Karinajean - The way I'm working it is that I don't need a full drink each time I'm doing beer yoga.  And that every time I'm going to have a beer, I should do a yoga pose.  So, since I get 12 drinks over the course of the challenge, I can do 12 poses, which is plenty.  Or I can do even more if some drinks are only half of a beer.  :)  But, if you really don't want to drink, you can always be sipping on water or whatever.  

@KBGirl - The food goals are important, but it's so hard this time of the year.  Every fiber of my being wants to just nom on all of the food.  Assuming you have to make weight again at Worlds, I guess you'll be right there with me in wanting to eat everything but having to show much more restraint.  ;)

The headspace spreadsheet is now online and good to go:  Today, I've mostly been filled with that restless, jittery, nervous energy (which is my problem 90% of the time when I feel like I need some headspace hacking).  Teaching my little kid parkour class, which also involves a lot of playing around in the parkour gym seems to have cured me of that.  It's too bad that fast paced exercise and parkour aren't really feasible solutions every time I feel that nervous energy.  :)

• Like 6

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Yeah, subbed!

For nervous energy/brain stuff, have you tried colouring? There are some lovely adult colouring books (no, not THAT kind ... well those too, but that's not what I'm talking about) and it's really fun. :D

There have been some studies lately saying a lot of good things about the recent adult colouring book craze too! Science says do it!

Sent by TARDIS delivery service. Apologies for typos caused by interactions with the time vortex.

There have been some studies lately saying a lot of good things about the recent adult colouring book craze too! Science says do it!

Sent by TARDIS delivery service. Apologies for typos caused by interactions with the time vortex.

Nymeria's going to the science the heck out of those coloring books.

the_martian.png

• Like 6

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

For nervous energy/brain stuff, have you tried colouring? There are some lovely adult colouring books (no, not THAT kind ... well those too, but that's not what I'm talking about) and it's really fun. :D

Actually, I have a few of those on my xmas wishlist.  A really awesome Game of Thrones one just came out, and I've also seen ads for a Doctor Who one.  So much awesome!  And I really do enjoy coloring, so it should be relaxing.

Nymeria's going to the science the heck out of those coloring books.

the_martian.png

But science is awesome!  I wouldn't have minded if they even had gone into more detail with the physics and engineering stuff.  #sciencenerd.

• Like 5

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Sol (-5):

Parkour was a lot of fun.  My second kids' class went really well, and since both kids have been doing this for awhile, I was able to let them do slightly more questionable things.  :)  My class was okay.  We did a lot of work with rolling, which is great since I'm still somewhat un-learning my martial arts roll muscle memory.  But it wasn't quite as thrilling as I would like.  I did manage to do a bunch of solid 180 degree swing bails into rolls, some back rolls, rail walking, rail QM, circle ups, and other fun stuff.

Piano playing has been going well.  It never ceases to amaze me that I can go 3 months without touching the piano, yet my fingers for the most part know exactly where to go.  Kinesthetic memory FTW.  I also finally have some solid data points for the headspace hacking.  Really, 90% of the time, I just have an overabundance of kind of jittery, nervous energy.  I 100% know that intense exercise will banish it.  But, intense exercise just isn't always a reasonable solution for me.  I really hope some other things end up working as well.  

And now for one sad thing...  My poor daughter is getting caught up in girl friendship drama.  Basically, her best friend has been somewhat mean to her and is sometimes not letting my daughter play with her at recess or sit with her at lunch or on the bus.  But, my daughter is convinced that if she (my daughter) chooses to sit with someone else, the friend will retaliate and get even meaner.  And now my daughter feels like she doesn't have any friends anymore and wants to move away or switch schools.   :grey:

I really wish I could help her, but it's not like I was popular or really have any advice.  All I can do is hug her and reassure her that mommy was in the same boat many years ago.  I also knew that my daughter would eventually have this problem.  She's a total tomboy, so she doesn't have much in common with the other girls.  She pretty much just wants to talk about Minecraft, Terraria, Pokemon, Neil Gaiman juvie books, and video games.  But in 2nd grade, the boys and girls don't really hang out together very much anymore.  So, she's kind of stuck being alone.   :apologetic:  :apologetic:  :apologetic:   I just hate seeing her so unhappy.  And I hate it that there's nothing I can do.

• Like 6

My tutorials:

Actually, I have a few of those on my xmas wishlist.  A really awesome Game of Thrones one just came out, and I've also seen ads for a Doctor Who one.  So much awesome!  And I really do enjoy coloring, so it should be relaxing.

But science is awesome!  I wouldn't have minded if they even had gone into more detail with the physics and engineering stuff.  #sciencenerd.

I've been listening to the audiobook, and it's all that.  NASA talks about it, Mark goes on and on...it's great!

And now for one sad thing...  My poor daughter is getting caught up in girl friendship drama.  Basically, her best friend has been somewhat mean to her and is sometimes not letting my daughter play with her at recess or sit with her at lunch or on the bus.  But, my daughter is convinced that if she (my daughter) chooses to sit with someone else, the friend will retaliate and get even meaner.  And now my daughter feels like she doesn't have any friends anymore and wants to move away or switch schools.   :grey:

I really wish I could help her, but it's not like I was popular or really have any advice.  All I can do is hug her and reassure her that mommy was in the same boat many years ago.  I also knew that my daughter would eventually have this problem.  She's a total tomboy, so she doesn't have much in common with the other girls.  She pretty much just wants to talk about Minecraft, Terraria, Pokemon, Neil Gaiman juvie books, and video games.  But in 2nd grade, the boys and girls don't really hang out together very much anymore.  So, she's kind of stuck being alone.   :apologetic:  :apologetic:  :apologetic:   I just hate seeing her so unhappy.  And I hate it that there's nothing I can do.

*sigh*  I have no advice either, and this is why I would be nervous to have kids.  I was left out or picked on and came home crying, and all a poor mother can do is console.  I don't know what's up with girls.  Boys will just punch each other and get over it.

• Like 2

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

I hit like about the piano thing, then read what your daughter is going through. I think the best thing you can do for her is what you have already done, which is hug her and tell her you love her. Not being a parent myself, take what I say from here on with a grain of salt. I'd say tell her that someone who treats you that way isn't a real friend and to let the mean person go. Also, if the only way the friend is mean is to withdraw friendship, what more can she do. Maybe if your daughter tries sitting with someone new she'll make friends with someone nicer to her. It's like War Games, the only way to win is not to play. She needs to stop playing into mean girl's power moves and do her own thing.

• Like 4

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I'm sorry to hear about the girl friendship drama.  My daughter is 16 now and has a really great group of friends that support each other and geek out together and are just awesome.  I tell you this because in 2nd grade she was going through the very same things as your daughter.  I don't have any actual "advice", but it sounds like you are doing all the right things.  It really seems to be around that age when girls start to play around with "drama" and social power.  She will find her tribe.  I hope it's soon! 

• Like 1

Rangering since Sept 2015

Following for the Martian theme! And For your daughter, can she hangout with boys? It'll shock them that she's into the stuff they're into, but that will eventually pass.

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Young girls are so mean.. You can also tell her that a lot of the awesome people you hang out with at NF were in the same boat too. Don't have any advice, but you're pretty awesome at this mom thing, so I'm sure you'll do the best a mom can possibly do in this situation!

@KBGirl - The food goals are important, but it's so hard this time of the year.  Every fiber of my being wants to just nom on all of the food.  Assuming you have to make weight again at Worlds, I guess you'll be right there with me in wanting to eat everything but having to show much more restraint.   ;)

Yes, we will suffer together! You also have thanksgiving, don't you? That's extra terrible. I just have to ignore all the sinterklaas candy.

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl prepares for the new year

my instagram - my gym's instagram

*sigh* poor child. the same "mean girl friendship drama" happened just a while ago to my SO's little sister. My mother-in-law was going nuts about it. She is a mother of four and didn't a an effin clue of what to do about it. Eventualy the girl started to bond with the other non-cool girls of her classroom instead of trying with all her heart to be one of the cool, popular kids. And all of a sudden she had friends, I mean real ones. I might quote Henry Rollins here "Hang out with a guy who has had his head flushed down a toilet a few times, treat him with respect, and you’ll find a faithful friend forever"

My own sister went through the same a couple years ago. Now she has 2 or 3 girlfriends and the rest of her group are boys(which keeps me busy 'cause I'm quite protective with her hahah just kidding). I guess it has to happen to some girls. Your daughter will work it out, no doubt; untill then just keep being an awesome mom

• Like 4

Instagram/Facebook/Epic Quest

Previous Challenges: #1 | #2 | #3(Holiday Mini)| #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9|#10| #11| #12| #13 | #14

Current Challenge: Respawn

*sigh*  I have no advice either, and this is why I would be nervous to have kids.  I was left out or picked on and came home crying, and all a poor mother can do is console.  I don't know what's up with girls.  Boys will just punch each other and get over it.

Yeah.  I'm so much less worried about my son.  Friendships are even a lot easier when there's more running around, playing, wrestling, and doing sports and a whole lot less talking and gossip.  I was excluded and just spent a lot of my childhood reading, exploring the woods near my house, and climbing trees.  My daughter is a little too young to be into the reading yet.  

I'd say tell her that someone who treats you that way isn't a real friend and to let the mean person go. Also, if the only way the friend is mean is to withdraw friendship, what more can she do. Maybe if your daughter tries sitting with someone new she'll make friends with someone nicer to her. It's like War Games, the only way to win is not to play. She needs to stop playing into mean girl's power moves and do her own thing.

I had my daughter convinced to sit with a different girl on the bus, but that girl wasn't at the bus stop this morning.  :(  

I'm sorry to hear about the girl friendship drama.  My daughter is 16 now and has a really great group of friends that support each other and geek out together and are just awesome.  I tell you this because in 2nd grade she was going through the very same things as your daughter.  I don't have any actual "advice", but it sounds like you are doing all the right things.  It really seems to be around that age when girls start to play around with "drama" and social power.  She will find her tribe.  I hope it's soon! 

Yep.  It seems like 2nd through 4th grade can be really rough, since girls start becoming much more manipulative and aware of social standing.  I'm hoping that at least by upper elementary school, there will be more chances for my daughter to find her tribe.  My friends with older kids said that a lot of the social issues improved quite a bit in middle school, since the kids could join nerdy things like the anime club or robotics team.

Following for the Martian theme! And For your daughter, can she hangout with boys? It'll shock them that she's into the stuff they're into, but that will eventually pass.

It would be great if she could, but by 2nd grade, for the most part the boys and girls don't really play with each other.  She has started playing soccer with the boys at recess, but she still feels left out from all of the girl stuff.

Young girls are so mean.. You can also tell her that a lot of the awesome people you hang out with at NF were in the same boat too. Don't have any advice, but you're pretty awesome at this mom thing, so I'm sure you'll do the best a mom can possibly do in this situation!

Yes, we will suffer together! You also have thanksgiving, don't you? That's extra terrible. I just have to ignore all the sinterklaas candy.

I'll admit that I'm a little blindsided by this whole thing.  My daughter has never been super popular or a queen bee, but she's always been very social and able to get along with just about everyone.  

And yeah.  I will soon have a bunch of leftover Halloween candy.  Then there's thanksgiving.  And then my daughter's birthday.  And then xmas stuff.  So, there's way too much temptation to eat all of the sugary goodness.  

*sigh* poor child. the same "mean girl friendship drama" happened just a while ago to my SO's little sister. My mother-in-law was going nuts about it. She is a mother of four and didn't a an effin clue of what to do about it. Eventualy the girl started to bond with the other non-cool girls of her classroom instead of trying with all her heart to be one of the cool, popular kids. And all of a sudden she had friends, I mean real ones. I might quote Henry Rollins here "Hang out with a guy who has had his head flushed down a toilet a few times, treat him with respect, and you’ll find a faithful friend forever"

My own sister went through the same a couple years ago. Now she has 2 or 3 girlfriends and the rest of her group are boys(which keeps me busy 'cause I'm quite protective with her hahah just kidding). I guess it has to happen to some girls. Your daughter will work it out, no doubt; untill then just keep being an awesome mom

I really just expected the mean girl friendship drama to start around 4th grade.  2nd seems so early.  :(  All of this reminds me of why I don't like socializing with non-nerdy women.  

• Like 4

My tutorials:

Yeah, it really just takes ONE thing to really build on.  My daughter and her friends all were watching Dr. Who.  They've moved on to add many many more mutual interests, but that one thing is what cemented them together.  The really amazing thing (and I did NOT have this as a kid) is how accepting they are of each other and their respect for each others differences.  Honestly, if the whole 2nd through 4th grade social nightmare thing is to thank for their awesome attitude about being unique and owning their body and self image...  I would do it again in a heartbeat.  No question.  Interesting aside...  one of the formerly "mean" girls from 3rd grade recently approached these girls because she wanted to cosplay and her friends made fun of her.  Of course, they adopted her in straight away and began planning for the next con.  <-- proud mommy moment!

• Like 5

Rangering since Sept 2015

I really just expected the mean girl friendship drama to start around 4th grade.  2nd seems so early.   :(  All of this reminds me of why I don't like socializing with non-nerdy women.  

Well, but kids these days evolve much faster. So fast that I'm 23 years old an get to say "Kids these days"!. Especially girls. between boys the social status is measured in a more primal tribe-y fashion

• Like 2

Instagram/Facebook/Epic Quest

Previous Challenges: #1 | #2 | #3(Holiday Mini)| #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9|#10| #11| #12| #13 | #14

Current Challenge: Respawn

Non-nerdy women freak me out.  Even if they're nice, it's just like - I look at them and think, "WHAT IS GOING ON IN YOUR HEAD."

As an all-grown-up tomboy, I think it's really cool that you're encouraging your daughter to be herself - the best thing a kid can learn (and the earlier the better) is to Embrace the Weird.  In my personal experience, the more you embrace your weird, the more people either are drawn to you, or just get out of your damn way.  

Also, hooray for teaching parkour to children!  I've watched some of my group do children's classes, and their strength-to-body-weight ratio makes them able to fly around like CRAZY.  And they let them dress up for class too, so there's a kid who always wears a Spiderman outfit, and a girl who wears a tiara to every class :)

• Like 7

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

Non-nerdy women freak me out.  Even if they're nice, it's just like - I look at them and think, "WHAT IS GOING ON IN YOUR HEAD."

As an all-grown-up tomboy, I think it's really cool that you're encouraging your daughter to be herself - the best thing a kid can learn (and the earlier the better) is to Embrace the Weird.  In my personal experience, the more you embrace your weird, the more people either are drawn to you, or just get out of your damn way.  

Also, hooray for teaching parkour to children!  I've watched some of my group do children's classes, and their strength-to-body-weight ratio makes them able to fly around like CRAZY.  And they let them dress up for class too, so there's a kid who always wears a Spiderman outfit, and a girl who wears a tiara to every class :)

All of this ^ a million times.

I've kept quiet so far, since I'm both a dude and children-less (?) but rowan pretty much nails it. Embrace the weird and stand up for what you like. Being normal is boring and giving up things in order to "fit in" is terrible. Normal (as in, non-nerdy) people are extremely boring.

Speaking of parenting and parkour, my mom posted this on her Facebook yesterday

tumblr_nwqwr8NqQa1tlb56zo1_400.gif

I doubt she's aware who Deadpool is, but I'm a damn proud son :D

• Like 9

Lvl 44 Ranger

HEY! DO YOU LIKE CHEESE?

Yeah, she'll find her people, but she'll be a bit bummed until she does. Glad your kids' class got to try some new fun things. In 2nd grade, a group of girls who were all my close friends in the previous year, banded together and called themselves the Three Musketeers. I was partially excluded from things that they did together and spent the whole year insisting there were actually FOUR MUSKETEERS! DON'T FORGET ABOUT D'ARTAGNAN! because I had actually read a diluted version of the story aimed more at children and I KNEW THERE WERE FOUR. 

We still wound up being pretty close friends, but that year was just extra dramatic for no reason. 

Once you have clubs + sports teams and the like, ESPECIALLY as a tomboy/athletically inclined person, you wind up with plenty friends. :)

• Like 5

Raptron, alot assassin

6564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I'm glad my quiver of likes is unlimited, because there's a lot of awesome happening in this thread. 

• Like 4

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I'm really enjoying the nerdy love-fest here.  :)  At least as adults, we all know that NF totally is our tribe!

The grip strength in little kids is just ridiculous.  It takes them so little time to be able to do things like the cliffhanger with no problems.  I have one kid who often shows up in a ninja mask.  It's all good.  :)  

In 2nd grade, a group of girls who were all my close friends in the previous year, banded together and called themselves the Three Musketeers. I was partially excluded from things that they did together and spent the whole year insisting there were actually FOUR MUSKETEERS! DON'T FORGET ABOUT D'ARTAGNAN! because I had actually read a diluted version of the story aimed more at children and I KNEW THERE WERE FOUR. 

But, that is totally apt.  The three musketeers were all somewhat incomplete people and more or less needed each other to fill in the gaps for the things they were each lacking.  D'Artagnan was the best of them and the only one who was fully a complete person onto himself.   So yeah, you totally were D'Artagnan.  Embrace it.  :)

On a happier note:

-Hot vinyasa yoga was great again, but I should stop kidding myself and calling it an active rest day. ;P  At least I'm planning on having a real rest day tomorrow.

-The gym scale said 145.something, which is the lowest I've seen on the scale since my body cannibalized my quad right after the knee surgery.  Woot!  I guess the relative non-boozing over the last two months has paid off.  

- About 2 months ago, when I started taking the Wed. parkour class, I started a trend of doing a pull up immediately after the 30 second dead hang we do in warm-ups.  Now, everyone is doing it or trying to do it.  #trendsetting.  

• Like 6

My tutorials:

I went ahead and played a round of Gotta Catch 'Em All with Raptron.  I was aiming for grasshopper pose, since this one has been vexing me for quite awhile.  Well, I'm getting closer.  I can almost, sort of do an ugly version of it with shoes on (the friction helps, but OMG it hurts).  I just have to get the straight leg a bit straighter and more out from my body.  Now I'm really determined to get this pose by the end of this challenge.  It might help if I'm actually in workout clothes and not regular clothes, too.

So here's some kind-of-fail video.  Yep.  These poses take a lot of practice.  :)

And I'm happy that my arms are much straighter than I thought with my crane.  I'm still not flexible enough to get my knees up in my armpits, though.

6100E0CB-46F8-4322-8AF5-B486DFB90F19-190

• Like 7

My tutorials:

I'm so sorry about your daughter.  I went through pretty much the exact same thing with a group of girls at right about that age, it got both worse and better (depending on the aspect) for me as the rest of elementary, jr. high and high school went on.  So I sympathize, a lot.  Kids are so freakin' cruel.  

She should find another girl to sit with on the bus and pal around with for now.  But in my experience it is probably also just a phase, and in a couple of weeks the "best friend" will be back all nice and stuff again, at which point I would advise to forgive, but not forget that mean behaviour... until there's a repeat session.

• Like 2