Nymeria

...and I forgot to add the agenda for this week:

Monday: parkour class + 20-ish minutes of extra skill work before class.

Tuesday: Climbing.  The weight vest is already packed, but I'm planning on starting out light with either 12 or 16 lbs.

Wednesday: teaching parkour + hopefully another 20+ minutes of skill work;  Maybe some weights

Thurs: ???

Friday: ???

Saturday: teaching parkour + open gym skills time + parkour class

Sunday: ???

The ??? are likely to turn into lifting, home yoga, rucking, or even rest days.  The holidays are really messing up my schedule.  

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Well, that would make things too easy.  I'm just sticking with propping my camera up in a pile of muddy leaves and hoping for the best.  Or wrapping my arm band strap around a tree branch and hoping the aim stays true.   ;)

Yep.  That's because we're both awesome!  

And easy is rarely the Ranger Way!

But still, in the interest of better selfies, I might have to pick one up.  That ought to force me out and about to finally adhere to your arduous expectations of my participation in Ranger Yoga.  ;)

I mean to ask you this yesterday, but it slipped my mind... what do you use for video editing and screenshot capture?  YouTube is an unreliable mistress at best.

The bar ones would be useful for parkour.  I probably will need to arrive there through the ring ones, though, as that seems like the standard way to go.  In the short term, I'm actually going to try to train my kipping pull ups, as I think I'm going to need the extra power from the kip to manage a high pull on the bar.  I can do kipping pull ups now, but my technique is off enough that I'm not actually getting anything from the kip. 

I think I'm a rarity in that I got my first bar muscle-up before my first on the rings, but over a month later I still struggle with getting over the bar every time where my ring muscle-ups are only limited by strength rather than technique.  In my amateur, non-traceur opinion, bar muscle-ups are by far the more difficult and most applicable to a real life scenario, and thereby the most rewarding.

Try adding some kipping practice in your warmups maybe?  I would spend a few minutes just working on my kipping swing (without any attempt to rise) and just holding that hollow position.  When I was fairly confident that I had that down, I open up the kip to add in a small pull and keep stringing those together as if I was doing full pull-ups.  When that feels comfortable, I'll add in kipped pull-up singles and onward.

Ugh.  It's already week 0 of the next challenge, and I still have too many themes rolling around in my head...

1. Lara Croft - easy to work in the climbing and parkour.  Lara and I actually share a birthday in Feb (according to wiki.  How cool is that?!  Kind of makes up for having such an awful birthday), so maybe I want to wait until the Feb challenge for this one.

To this day, my Tomb Raider challenge remains the most exciting, inspiring, and favorite challenge.  I haven't been able to capture its essence ever since, but I'm really striving to reproduce that spirit for this next challenge coming up.  Just not quite there yet though. 

yEZDMwx.gif

How is that not a Nymeria-in-a-nutshell gif?

• Like 2

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Current:   Cry Havoc™: Bladesong of the Warhawk

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

I think you have the right idea with your training. Watching the previews at the theater I realized that one of life's most essential skill is to jump off of a building and land on something far away (another building, helicopter, giant eagle).

• Like 3

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Solstice Challenge

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Climbing last night was pretty awful.  My muscles were pretty sore from all of the kipping pull up, dead hang pull over, and cat hang to wall climb up work, as well as having a rail/bar skill based parkour class.  I underestimated just how sore they were, and I thought that as soon as I got a little adrenaline flowing, everything would be fine.  But it wasn't.  I just couldn't get anything at all in the tank, and my muscles were really sluggish.  

I still managed to do some more technical and balance based routes, but I otherwise didn't really accomplish anything other than completely shredding my arm, shoulder, and back muscles into a DOMS-y mess.  I couldn't even test out the weight vest on an easy route, as it hangs way too low over the waist and completely covers my harness, such that I couldn't tie in on the rope.  And, there was no way to adjust this.  That's the problem with getting a weight vest designed for guys when you're a very short torso-ed woman.  

The agenda for today is:

-teach parkour

-practice some rail walking and rail balance techniques

-get jiggy with my foam roller and LAX ball.  

For the next challenge, I found a great solution to the theme problems.  I'm going to just do a multi-part Lara Croft challenge, spanning the first 3 or so challenges of the year.  It should be incredibly easy to work parkour, climbing, and gymnastics goals into a Tomb Raider theme.

• Like 5

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Yikes, heal up from those DOMS, even the great Nymeria has her limits.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I'm sure there must be a way to alter that vest without messing it up... providing you know well your way around cutting and sewing.

not being able to work out because of DOMS always sucks but at least you got to work on the technical aspects

Instagram/Facebook/Epic Quest

Previous Challenges: #1 | #2 | #3(Holiday Mini)| #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9|#10| #11| #12| #13 | #14

Current Challenge: Respawn

For the next challenge, I found a great solution to the theme problems.  I'm going to just do a multi-part Lara Croft challenge, spanning the first 3 or so challenges of the year.  It should be incredibly easy to work parkour, climbing, and gymnastics goals into a Tomb Raider theme.

This is going to be amazing.  I can't think of any theme and member which are more suited for each other!

More like Nymeria Croft, am I right?

tr9_lara_deal_with_it_meme_by_driber-d56

• Like 2

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

I'm sure there must be a way to alter that vest without messing it up... providing you know well your way around cutting and sewing.

The problem is that if I fix it for myself, it'll be too short waisted for my husband to use.  I can still use it for walks/rucking, so we will just keep things the way they are.  If he ends up really enjoying the weighted climbing, I'll just get a more female friendly weight vest.

Sometimes rest is in order. Or in your case still doing lots of things but not going complete beast mode. ;) Hope the DOMS will go away quickly!

It'll be fine.  I'm honestly expecting to do some lifting tomorrow morning.  I just overtaxed exactly the muscles I needed for climbing on Monday, and then ignored my body and tried climbing on Tuesday.  

This is going to be amazing.  I can't think of any theme and member which are more suited for each other!

More like Nymeria Croft, am I right?

tr9_lara_deal_with_it_meme_by_driber-d56

I'm planning on doing some of this:

Image00014.jpg

And this:

Lara-Croft-Relic-Runner-Out-Now-on-Windo

a little of this:

tomb-raider-underworld-20080130053327859

And some of this:

968761109.jpg

It's incredibly easy to work parkour, climbing, gymnastics, combat stuff, and outdoors exploration into a Tomb Raider theme.  ;)

• Like 6

My tutorials:

-get jiggy with my foam roller and LAX ball.  

Ahahahaha.

Also, yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

:D

Love as thou wilt.

Holiday week 3 - Thursday:

Today is going to be a bit more chill than we intended.  I initially expected to visit the in-laws and spend the night there.  My son is feeling sick today and doesn't want to go, so we're just going to have a quiet day at home.  

The DOMS were mostly gone, so I did:

-BB OHP

-Front squats

-one leg RDLs (assuming I'm not doing these wrong, these might be exactly what I need to rebuild those hamstrings.  At least, that's where I was feeling them).

-russian twists

-push ups of various kinds (I can hold a chaturanga/bottom of push up for 40 seconds).  

-lots of rail walking.  I'm starting to feel comfortable with walking backward, too.

-prehab, stretching, foam rolling.

If things continue being really chill, I'm going to grab the weight vest and do a couple mile nature ruck.  

Food is very much back on track, but I'm expecting to indulge in some fondue and alcohol tonight.  :)  

I hope everyone has a great end of the year!  And I hope the new year brings us the new challenge forums.  So much hype!!!

• Like 4

My tutorials:

And I hope the new year brings us the new challenge forums.  So much hype!!!

Tomorrow night!  Forget New Years... the real countdown is on now.  ;)

• Like 2

New Year's eve was pretty rough.  We stayed home, since my son was sick.  Then he spiked a fever.  Then he was up crying half of the night because his ear hurt.  Pain medicine didn't help much.  This morning was a trip to urgent care to get meds for his ear infection.  Now, he's feeling better, but it wasn't quite able to end the year with the bang I had hoped.    I still did have fondue, brandy, and chocolate truffles while watching Avengers: Age of Ultron.

I used some of the down time to make a video montage for 2015.  I'm pretty sure I've posted all of the individual videos in my challenge threads, but now they're in a shiny new montage, complete with music (I resisted the urge to use the Team America montage song, though).  

Basically, the gist of my training year is that I fully finished my ACL rehab in mid January, and I was free to do whatever fitness activities I wanted.  So, I took up parkour.  Because it totally makes sense to take up parkour when you're a middle aged mom with a recent major knee surgery.  But, everything worked out beautifully, and it's been an incredible year!

I'm not going to post the video until the new challenge threads are up.  Hype!!!  I also don't know if I'll put up my new challenge thread tonight, since I have to watch the new Sherlock.  ;)

• Like 3

My tutorials:

Ahh i've missed reading your thread! All the inspiration and awesome videos <3

Very cool to see your list of long term goals, can relate to a lot of them! Will be interesting to see who gets there first ;) (muscle up, 20+ sec freestanding handstand. You'll beat me at the walkovers easily..)

I do however frown upon the kipping :P But at least your shoulders can probably handle it. 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl prepares for the new year

my instagram - my gym's instagram